• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Just reposting on new page with the updated stuff based on suggestions.
Regarding the case, its what was suggested in OP but does it have ample cooling? Should I purchase an additional cooling fan or anything?

Dont worry about keyboard and mouse. I got that covered.

Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817371016

MSI Z77 MPOWER ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813130660

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820148540

ASUS VS239H-P Black 23" 5ms (GTG) Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16824236288

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 Quad-Core Desktop Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16819116504

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339

Corsair Carbide Series 200R Black Steel / Plastic compact ATX Mid Tower Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811139018

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16835103099

SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147193

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 760 GV-N760OC-4GD WINDFORCE 3X Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814125470

ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16827135204

Also, I will definitely need some help putting this all together. Considered buying a prebuilt computer, but its hard to customize this stuff. Im pretty sure I have a copy of Windows 7 lying around somewhere to install on this too.
I havent tinkered with computer building or parts since like 2000 so I have no idea what Im currently doing. Everything has changed.

UK brah.

For emuluation change to the 4670K and the MSI Z87 G45 Gaming. Change the PSU to this http://www.dabs.com/products/xfx-55...4_1375100990_05c542fc891200cbe335fb57eaf3c5eb or if you want modular this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005JS580A/

Also change to the RAM I linked to up above. Consider too dropping the DVD drive and see if that will give you the room after changing that other stuff to get an SSD.

Hyper 212 is also advisable for over clocking. Its only a matter of changing a few BIOS values to get up to at worst 4GHz and it'll bring great performance benefits. It's pretty hard to screw up doing it.

Well the only reason I chose the 3570k was I heard haswell ran hotter and didn't gave a major performance increase but for the small price difference I might as well get it and have the latest and greatest. The DVD drive is only £13 so it's not a problem to buy that or are you saying I will run out of physical room to fit in the SSD too?

kharma45

Well the only reason I chose the 3570k was I heard haswell ran hotter and didn't gave a major performance increase but for the small price difference I might as well get it and have the latest and greatest. The DVD drive is only £13 so it's not a problem to buy that or are you saying I will run out of physical room to fit in the SSD too?

I usually say go 3570K but if emulation is important to you Haswell is the way to go as it is a beast at it. Na its not physical room that is the issue, its just that disc drives are fairly redundant now.

Any new PC builders ever just flat out unplug your PC's before leaving for any significant amount of time?

It's probably going to be a while until I feel good enough about my build to let it run downloads all day. I'm afraid there's going to be a core meltdown while I'm away lulz.

I was with my girlfriend last night and she was like, "Do you smell that, smells like somethings burning!"

I smelled it too and jumped immediately to my pc and checked the temps, everything was fine, turned out the smell was coming from outside.

dat fear

I usually say go 3570K but if emulation is important to you Haswell is the way to go as it is a beast at it. Na its not physical room that is the issue, its just that disc drives are fairly redundant now.

Haswell it is then, in regards to overclocking how dangerous is it and how simple to do?
If its a big increase in performance then I can spare the extra £22 for the hyper 212 EVO.

Jeb

Guys, I would like to thank you for all the help, you have been really helpful.
Almost ready to finally order, my set up looks like this
Sorry, for avoiding some of the advice like getting the 3570k, but I I'm not planning on overclocking for a while so I thought I go for the one with the more initial power.
The choices I'm kinda shaky about are the PSU and the case, didn't put much thought and research into those, what do you guys think? of those or anything else in my list.

kharma45

Haswell it is then, in regards to overclocking how dangerous is it and how simple to do?
If its a big increase in performance then I can spare the extra £22 for the hyper 212 EVO.

It's fairly simple, you'll only be changing a few BIOS values. There is nothing dangerous unless you pump silly levels of voltage through your CPU. performance wise mkenyon had some great graphs that I had bookmarked but I'm on my phone at work so don't have access to them, its fairly lineae though. Hopefully someone else can link them. Haswell doesn't oc as far though due to the extra heat, 4.2 GHz is a realistic target. Plenty of guides and videos out there too, look over them and it'll help with confidence in it.

Just reposting on new page with the updated stuff based on suggestions.
Regarding the case, its what was suggested in OP but does it have ample cooling? Should I purchase an additional cooling fan or anything?

You can never have enough cooling. Fans are cheap and easy enough to install that you shouldn't typically be giving it a second thought. And it's pretty much inevitable that you'll be rolling SLI at some point, the price to performance ratio is just too significant and becomes even greater when you factor in that you can get a perfectly good used card when it comes time for that.

If I could go back I would have gotten a full sized tower for my Fractal though. Things are fine as they are even with an SLI setup, but a bit more space wouldn't hurt at all. These cards are huge.

Addnan

It's fairly simple, you'll only be changing a few BIOS values. There is nothing dangerous unless you pump silly levels of voltage through your CPU. performance wise mkenyon had some great graphs that I had bookmarked but I'm on my phone at work so don't have access to them, its fairly lineae though. Hopefully someone else can link them. Haswell doesn't oc as far though due to the extra heat, 4.2 GHz is a realistic target. Plenty of guides and videos out there too, look over them and it'll help with confidence in it.
Graphs
http://imgur.com/a/VxaHl#0

cajunator

Banned
You can never have enough cooling. Fans are cheap and easy enough to install that you shouldn't typically be giving it a second thought. And it's pretty much inevitable that you'll be rolling SLI at some point, the price to performance ratio is just too significant and becomes even greater when you factor in that you can get a perfectly good used card when it comes time for that.

If I could go back I would have gotten a full sized tower for my Fractal though. Things are fine as they are even with an SLI setup, but a bit more space wouldn't hurt at all. These cards are huge.

Ill never really be that much into PC gaming though. I also buy consoles at some point and dont really heavily game on my PC aside from Indie stuff and some older games (cause thats all that my PC can run anyway). I may as well throw in an extra fan but Im gonna see how much room is in the case and whether it really needs it currently.
I also dont have a huge amount of room for my PC where it currently sits so a mid sized case will have to do.

Addnan

Ill never really be that much into PC gaming though. I also buy consoles at some point and dont really heavily game on my PC aside from Indie stuff and some older games (cause thats all that my PC can run anyway). I may as well throw in an extra fan but Im gonna see how much room is in the case and whether it really needs it currently.
I also dont have a huge amount of room for my PC where it currently sits so a mid sized case will have to do.
Yeah, stick with mid tower. Full towers only come into use with full custom looper water which I am guessing you don't want!

For fans, stick with what you have. Check temps and buy if needed. Most cases are good enough for cooling without the need for extra fans.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, stick with mid tower. Full towers only come into use with full custom looper water which I am guessing you don't want!

If you are referring to a water cooling system no Im not going that route. air cooling should be fine. No plans to overclock or really push the system with graphics. Just enough to play some games with friends and run a bunch of programs at once without bogging it down. Speed is a priority. Im sick of my computer being bogged down and taking forever to open applications.

Croyles

The reason we often recommend low profile RAM is because the ones with the fins can cause issues with some heatsinks. In that it is too tall and the heatsink fan does not fit. It's only an issue with motherboard that have RAM slots close to the heatsink fan, but really there is no point taking the risk to find out. Performance wise the fins don't offer anything over the low profile. They are just there for the sake of being there.

That's what I thought. Ok well what about the Asus P8Z77-V LK motherboard with Corsair Vengeance 2x8gb (the ones with the big comb heatsinks) and the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, inside a BitFenix Shinobi? Would those 3 parts fit together nicely?
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B006EWUO22/

Otherwise I could just get these instead:

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B009YOJZ5E/

Cheech

Yeah I caught onto that earlier and made the switch heehee.
I was like wait a minute...2G is same price as 4 GB. Choice was obvious.

Yeah, I'm stoked. That card should last me a long, long time. I plan on playing most of my games on a PS4/Xbone, but I still do a ton of PC gaming thanks to Steam sale cleanups on stuff I don't feel is worth $60. Thoroughly enjoyed Dishonored and Tomb Raider, for the $12/ea I paid it was well worth it.

Random question: is there a commonly used site where pc gamer upload direct footage on games running on their awesome rigs? Wouldn't find getting some uncompromised (aka youtube) feed of games running at 1080p, ultra settings etc. to stick on my tv

If this is a stupid question for whatever reason my apologies haha

So I bought a PC that I hoped would be able to replicate next gen graphics close enough, and be able to play next gen games (obviously with a hit in settings).

I went with a AMD FX6300 and an HD7850 2GB.

Now I get the feeling that the GPU might not be good enough to play next gen games in a couple years. Ideally I would like it to play games for at least the next 4.

I mainly just want to play in 1080p and I don't care if future games have to be on the lowest settings and 30 fps.

Will the 7850 be good enough, or should I have sprung for a 3gb gpu?

What brand is your HD 7850 2GB? My Sapphire 1GB overclocks well. I do not think the 7850 at stock clocks will be good enough. If you overclock it to 1200 GPU clock and 1300 memory then it will last a bit longer, but like the other guy said "We won't know until the future happens."

BizzyBum

How is this for 1440p?

I have a 580 with 1.5 VRAM currently.. I was gonna build a whole new rig that I posted a few pages ago but it came to like $2K so I decided to hold off on that until this Fall when next-gen comes out with BF4 and W3, but this 580 is really not good enough with a 1440p display so I'm wondering if I can get this since it's pretty cheap to hold me over until a full upgrade.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
PCIE 240GB SSD with all kinds of whizz bang stuff:

The drive's two SandForce controllers are each hooked up to a pool of 19-nm Toshiba MLC NAND, and they join forces in RAID0 mode to enable blisteringly fast transfer rates. Asus quotes peak sequential read and write speeds of 830MB/s and 810MB/s, respectively, as well as peak 4K random read and write rates of "up to 100,000" IOps. That's quite a step up from single Serial ATA drives, which usually top out south of the that interface's 600MB/s peak.

The RAIDR Express has other tricks up its sleeve, too. Asus has made sure to implement TRIM support, so performance shouldn't degrade as blocks get written over, and there's a physical DuoMode switch that lets the drive work with either newer, UEFI motherboards or legacy, BIOS-driven ones. The bundled software includes a RAMDisk utility as well as ROG HybriDisk, a tool that can turn the RAIDR Express into a cache for "high-capacity hard drives up to 4TB." Oh, and the drive is apparently "built to last," with a mean-time-between-failures rating of 620,00 hours. (The press release doesn't quote the warranty length, though.)

Promo vid at link: http://techreport.com/news/25147/asus-unveils-240gb-pcie-solid-state-drive

No price as of yet.

dmann

So I upgraded my computer over the weekend, I've joined the Haswell crowd.

CPU: Intel i7-4770k Haswell @ stock speed [old - Intel i7 920 @ 3.5ghz]
MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Hero Z87 [old - dFI x58]
RAM: G. Skill Trident X 16GB DDR3 2400 [old - G. Skill Ripjaws 12GB]
SSD: Samsung 840 500gb
FAN: Noctua NH-D14 [old - CM V8 Cooler]

Reusing these components:
GPU: MSI Geforce 670
PSU: Corsair 750W
Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840 (I love this case too much)
HDD: 1tb WD Black
HDD: 4tb Seagate

I'm aware that the Haswell chips run hot, but mine is currently idling around 35 - 40 C. Is this normal? With Prime, it gets up to the 70-85 range and this is still at stock speed of 3.5ghz. These temps seems higher than what I've seen from reading here and other forums. Any thoughts?

I haven't tried OC'in it yet. Will do so later this week when I get back from a business trip.

I'm aware that the Haswell chips run hot, but mine is currently idling around 35 - 40 C. Is this normal? With Prime, it gets up to the 70-85 range and this is still at stock speed of 3.5ghz. These temps seems higher than what I've seen from reading here and other forums. Any thoughts?
Welcome to the Haswell club! :)

Those temps are way high, especially if you're running on stock and have the Noctua on.
I have very similar rig to yours (i5 4670K @ stock with NH-D14) and my temps are much lower: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=65559736&postcount=50
Also, I think I have some air trapped between the CPU and Noctua but I'm satisfied with the temps and don't plan to OC so I won't bother reapplying the paste.

What thermal paste did you use and how much? Is the Noctua firmly secured and pressed?

Cheech

How is this for 1440p?

I have a 580 with 1.5 VRAM currently.. I was gonna build a whole new rig that I posted a few pages ago but it came to like $2K so I decided to hold off on that until this Fall when next-gen comes out with BF4 and W3, but this 580 is really not good enough with a 1440p display so I'm wondering if I can get this since it's pretty cheap to hold me over until a full upgrade.

Probably not super awesome. Playable, but you're not getting 60 fps. It would be fine for older games I'm sure.

Personally, I'm sticking with 1080p.

dmann

Welcome to the Haswell club! :)

Those temps are way high, especially if you're running on stock and have the Noctua on.
I have very similar rig to yours (i5 4670K @ stock with NH-D14) and my temps are much lower: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=65559736&postcount=50
Also, I think I have some air trapped between the CPU and Noctua but I'm satisfied with the temps and don't plan to OC so I won't bother reapplying the paste.

What thermal paste did you use and how much? Is the Noctua firmly secured and pressed?

I used the paste that came with the NH-D14. I believe the cooler is pretty secured and I screwed it in as much as I could. Is the Noctua paste not any good? I may reseat the cooler later this week.

Addnan

If it doesn't get cooler after you reseat it you probably just got unlucky like many with a Haswell chip that just doesn't like to keep cool. How much thermal paste did you put? Some people put way too much and that can make things hotter.

I used the paste that came with the NH-D14. I believe the cooler is pretty secured and I screwed it in as much as I could. Is the Noctua paste not any good? I may reseat the cooler later this week.
The paste you get in the box with the cooler is good (I personally switched it for MX4).
Seems to me you put too much paste on the CPU. Grain of rice/pea size is the generally acceptable amount.
You could try resetting it. I recommend you get ArctiClean and use it with coffee filters (must be a lint free cloth and coffee filters are the best/cheapest, IMHO).

edit: forgot to ask, what's your room/ambient temp?

If it doesn't get cooler after you reseat it you probably just got unlucky like many with a Haswell chip that just doesn't like to keep cool.
I know Haswell runs hotter than Ivy by default, but this is really excessive, especially when you consider it's sitting under Noctua. My bet is on too much thermal paste.

BizzyBum

Probably not super awesome. Playable, but you're not getting 60 fps. It would be fine for older games I'm sure.

Personally, I'm sticking with 1080p.

My current 580 even with only 1.5GB holds up remarkably well for 1440p gaming surprisingly.

I guess it would make more sense to just wait and grab a 780 3GB in a few months. I just really need that extra VRAM for things like a modded Skyrim currently.

Jeb

Sorry if I'm being buggy at this point but I would appreciate your thoughts on my earlier comment.
If there is nothing wrong about it then just tell me what you think of the parts I'm hesitant about, the PSU and Case.
Are their others you would prefer to recommend?

Guys, I would like to thank you for all the help, you have been really helpful.
Almost ready to finally order, my set up looks like this
Sorry, for avoiding some of the advice like getting the 3570k, but I I'm not planning on overclocking for a while so I thought I go for the one with the more initial power.
The choices I'm kinda shaky about are the PSU and the case, didn't put much thought and research into those, what do you guys think? of those or anything else in my list.

dmann

The paste you get in the box with the cooler is good (I personally switched it for MX4).
Seems to me you put too much paste on the CPU. Grain of rice/pea size is the generally acceptable amount.
You could try resetting it. I recommend you get ArctiClean and use it with coffee filters (must be a lint free cloth and coffee filters are the best/cheapest, IMHO).

edit: forgot to ask, what's your room/ambient temp?

I know Haswell runs hotter than Ivy by default, but this is really excessive, especially when you consider it's sitting under Noctua. My bet is on too much thermal paste.

Ambient room temp is 25C (77F). Now that you mention it, I believe I may have put too much paste on there. I'll be sure to reset it. Hopefully that will drop the temps. Thanks for the advice!

Addnan

Sorry if I'm being buggy at this point but I would appreciate your thoughts on my earlier comment.
If there is nothing wrong about it then just tell me what you think of the parts I'm hesitant about, the PSU and Case.
Are their others you would prefer to recommend?
Change PSU to this. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00918MEZG/?tag=neogaf0e-20 Get low profile RAM. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6149513&SID=i71xkc3v39xa If you want 16GB. The 16GB equivalent

Case is mostly a personal preference. The one you have chosen will be fine

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Which power supply are you referring to? I see a pretty big list when I look up Seasonic.
Keep in mind Ive been REALLY out of the loop and there are subtle changes in the parts so I dont want to choose the wrong ones if I deviate from the OP recommendations..
Kharma and Addnan are good people :)

QaaQer

Any new PC builders ever just flat out unplug your PC's before leaving for any significant amount of time?

It's probably going to be a while until I feel good enough about my build to let it run downloads all day. I'm afraid there's going to be a core meltdown while I'm away lulz.

I was with my girlfriend last night and she was like, "Do you smell that, smells like somethings burning!"

I smelled it too and jumped immediately to my pc and checked the temps, everything was fine, turned out the smell was coming from outside.

dat fear

haha...I unplugg everything I can before we go on vacation. TV, receiver, alarm clock, gas fireplace, lamps, etc. If we are going away in the winter, I even turn off the water in case the furnace stops working and the pipe freeze.

That also reminds me, I remember seeing some really awesome builds where the people had made the cases out of wood, real fine craftsmanship. But Jezuz, wood?

QaaQer

Doesn't really matter. Both are pretty similar. Windows 8 has super fast boot time.

Just a note, despite what ms says, they aren't comparing cold boot times between 8 and 7. They are comparing 8's hybrid of hibernation + shutdown and calling it shut down, kinda sleazy. And at least according to my samsung ssd software, the quick boot will shorten ssd life, so I disabled it.

But yeah 8 is fine once you boot to desktop and add Pokki.

Cheech

My current 580 even with only 1.5GB holds up remarkably well for 1440p gaming surprisingly.

I guess it would make more sense to just wait and grab a 780 3GB in a few months. I just really need that extra VRAM for things like a modded Skyrim currently.

Yeah, same. Even Vanilla Skyrim with that Bethesda HD texture pack makes my 6780s choke (only 1 gig of VRAM on those guys). Also, given the GPU specs of the next gen consoles, I am betting that my GTX 760 w/ 4 gig will be viable for several years.

Now Newegg just needs to ship the damn thing! I have a lot of Skyrim to get in this weekend!

Danj

OK so I got my new PC built and it works, but I got a couple of questions:

1. How are you supposed to deal with cables in SFF cases like the Fractal Design Node 304? My PC works, but the inside is like a rat's nest, there was no obvious way of handling the cables neatly.
2. I'm particularly concerned about the PSU cables pressing against the back of my graphics card. Had it been a non-modular PSU it might've been OK, but I got the one recommended in mkenyon's post which is fully modular. Is the pressure these exert on the GPU likely to be sufficient to cause damage like e.g. forcing it out of its socket or warping the motherboard or whatever?

mkenyon

Banned
OK so I got my new PC built and it works, but I got a couple of questions:

1. How are you supposed to deal with cables in SFF cases like the Fractal Design Node 304? My PC works, but the inside is like a rat's nest, there was no obvious way of handling the cables neatly.
2. I'm particularly concerned about the PSU cables pressing against the back of my graphics card. Had it been a non-modular PSU it might've been OK, but I got the one recommended in mkenyon's post which is fully modular. Is the pressure these exert on the GPU likely to be sufficient to cause damage like e.g. forcing it out of its socket or warping the motherboard or whatever?
1) Lots of zipties. Look for every nook and cranny you can push cables into. Ziptie them to hold them down hard against certain areas. You can also look at reviews of the Node to see what other people have done.

2) Nope.

Zezboob

A 212 with better fans or any cooler by Noctua
Thank you for your answer.

I considered changing the fan coming with the 212EVO, but it seemed that it doesn't come with wires to fix it, the fan had 4 clips to attach to the heatsink.

Now that I look again I realize that the clips are on brackets that can be disassembled. :eek:
The problem is that I can't find a picture showing how they are mounted.

I will try to put a SilentWings 2 since it seems that the new models can be fixed with classic screws, and I am really satisfied with my SilentWing1. =)

kennah

Thank you for your answer.

I considered changing the fan coming with the 212EVO, but it seemed that it doesn't come with wires to fix it, the fan had 4 clips to attach to the heatsink.

Now that I look again I realize that the clips are on brackets that can be disassembled. :eek:
The problem is that I can't find a picture showing how they are mounted.

I will try to put a SilentWings 2 since it seems that the new models can be fixed with classic screws, and I am really satisfied with my SilentWing1. =)

Yep, just undo the screws and reattach to the new fan. Make sure you use 120mm fans.

Addnan

That's what I thought. Ok well what about the Asus P8Z77-V LK motherboard with Corsair Vengeance 2x8gb (the ones with the big comb heatsinks) and the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, inside a BitFenix Shinobi? Would those 3 parts fit together nicely?
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B006EWUO22/

Otherwise I could just get these instead:

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B009YOJZ5E/

I would change the RAM. I am not 100% certain how that motherboard is, but you won't notice a performance difference so why not! Better safe.

I'm getting idle temps of around 40-45c idle on my i5 3570k cpu

I'm running an sli setup in a mid case (Define R4) with an H80i cooler. Installation was...not the smoothest to say the least. Lots of holding down very tightly followed by forcing things into position with screws.

Airflow is inward for the H80i and I have a single exhausting fan going upward. There may be another fan (very front of case) that's designed to be hidden that's exhausting as well, but I haven't been able to get a good look at it.

My Corsair link software isn't showing the system fans or the pump so I may have to go back in and adjust some things, but how does the idle temp seem for this setup? Is it bad enough that I need to make an attempt to remount the cooler? Is it fine? Would another fan suffice?

thanks

Jeb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom