• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanspeed

Banned
I've never really understood why people want things inside their PC to glow.
Ya its tacky to me.

The case I'm buying has blue LED fans which I dont like, but there's three fans and a ton of other great features for really cheap.

Is there any way to disable the lights? Some wire I can pull on them or something?

MarkusRJR

I really want to set up a gaming PC but I have no idea how much it'd cost and how to put one together. I wanna use it with my TV and output via VGA. I kind of want to get one with an nvidia gpu so I can use it with a Shield.

My max budget is $750 or $800 I think. Is such a thing possible?

Addnan

I really want to set up a gaming PC but I have no idea how much it'd cost and how to put one together. I wanna use it with my TV and output via VGA. I kind of want to get one with an nvidia gpu so I can use it with a Shield.

Check out the OP. It has something for all budgets. How much it will cost will depend on what level of performance you are looking for.

edit: you edited the budget in. The $800 build in the OP is great.

MarkusRJR

Check out the OP. It has something for all budgets. How much it will cost will depend on what level of performance you are looking for.

edit: you edited the budget in. The $800 build in the OP is great.
Hmmm... I liked the $830 build but that will probably end up being way pricier since I live in Canada. Also, how does one go about actually building the PC? I'm kind of nervous since it's my first time actually buying a desktop in pieces (I've only gone with laptops).

Addnan

Hmmm... I liked the $830 build but that will probably end up being way pricier since I live in Canada. Also, how does one go about actually building the PC? I'm kind of nervous since it's my first time actually buying a desktop in pieces (I've only gone with laptops).
The second post in the OP, has lots of links to articles and videos on how to put it altogether. Really a lot easier than it first appears. Very little that can go wrong if the guides are followed.

Something I quickly chucked together. It does go over your budget. If you can't stretch it then you can drop the CPU down to a 3350p http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80637i53350p and the motherboard to an MSI B75 http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-b75map45 Although this build would much greater performance.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($67.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.75 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($269.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($47.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $868.68
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-31 07:23 EDT-0400)

Finally figured out my problem (well two problems):
The first problem was that my graphics card wasn't properly seated in the slot, so my PC couldn't even detect it. Might be hard to fix since it seems my case doesn't seem to align with it properly.....(but I <3 Fractal Design)
And the second problem is that my old Win 7 CD couldn't use USB 3.0.

The latter is easily fixable, but the former might have to do some wiggling with the screws or something like that.

Edit: Yup, seems to be an ongoing problem: http://www.overclock.net/t/1345154/fractal-design-introducing-define-xl-r2/100

kennah

Good for an easy resale or pass along, npnp
Yeah, you guys are right, I hadn't thought of that.

Canada is about 5- 10% more expensive plus taxes. Where are you?

bro1

Banned
Finally figured out my problem (well two problems):
The first problem was that my graphics card wasn't properly seated in the slot, so my PC couldn't even detect it. Might be hard to fix since it seems my case doesn't seem to align with it properly.....(but I <3 Fractal Design)
And the second problem is that my old Win 7 CD couldn't use USB 3.0.

The latter is easily fixable, but the former might have to do some wiggling with the screws or something like that.

Make sure your motherboard is seated properly in the case. What's blocking the card? The bracket or is it on the other end?

Make sure your motherboard is seated properly in the case. What's blocking the card? The bracket or is it on the other end?

Nothing is blocking the cards, it just not aligning properly. Motherboard seems to be seated properly and working proper when I installed Win 7 (and used the IGP). This is what it looks like when it's "properly" seated:
JfzzIMy.jpg

Actually screwing it in takes it off the slot. Gonna contact Fractal Design support to see if it's fixable (does seem fixable - looks like I need longer standoffs), otherwise gonna have to get a new case which sucks because the other case I like, the Nanoxia Deep Silence 1, I don't know where to find.

Looking at a build for a new living room sff pc, does the following sound ok/look like there's anything off? Trying to keep my options open for some minor overclocking if I want down the road, but nothing major. Went haswell since I won't be looknig to upgrade the full mobo/cpu again for a good 5 year hopefully, probably just upgrade gpu until I hit a genuine bottleneck, as far as I can go otherwise

CPU: i5-4670k
Mobo: Gigabyte H87N-Wifi
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 8gb
Graphics: GTX 770 2GB
SSD: Samsung 120gb
HDD: WD Green 2TB
PSU: 650W Corsair VS
Optical Drive: Asus External 8x DVDRW USB until gf is done with her discs
Heatsink: Corsair H60
Case: Fractal Design Node 304

Monitor is looking like a asus vs247h-p. Any direction on decent budget speakers would be nice too :) thanks

Seanspeed

Banned

My max budget is $750 or $800 I think. Is such a thing possible?
Keep in mind you need to figure in the cost of an operating system, keyboard, mouse and maybe speakers depending on how you plan on doing the audio. All the builds in the OP are for the tower hardware only.

Addnan

Looking at a build for a new living room sff pc, does the following sound ok/look like there's anything off? Trying to keep my options for some minor overclocking if I want down the room, but nothing major. Went haswell since I won't be looknig to upgrade the full mobo/cpu again for a good 5 year hopefully, probably just upgrade gpu until I hit a genuine bottleneck, as far as I can go otherwise

CPU: i5-4670k
Mobo: Gigabyte H87N-Wifi
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 8gb
Graphics: GTX 770 2GB
SSD: Samsung 120gb
HDD: WD Green 2TB
PSU: 650W Corsair VS
Optical Drive: Asus External 8x DVDRW USB until gf is done with her discs
Heatsink: Corsair H60
Case: Fractal Design Node 304

Monitor is looking like a asus vs247h-p. Any direction on decent budget speakers would be nice too :) thanks

Change motherboard to a z87, h87 won't allow overclocking. Change the PSU to something in the OP. There's an SFF guide. BP550 should fit or one of the silver stones here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=65541586&postcount=3

Change motherboard to a z87, h87 won't allow overclocking. Change the PSU to something in the OP. There's an SFF guide. BP550 should fit or one of the silver stones here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=65541586&postcount=3

Cheers! Those were probably the two I meant to say I knew the least about. I may just drop the k off the i5-4670 in that case and forget overclocking but I'll shop around on z87 mobos first, see how big a price jump I'm looking at. Will definetely search out a new psu too, cheers!

EDIT: Found a few z87's that aren't that much more, maybe the z87 equivelant, Gigabyte Z87N-Wifi ? Cheers though, I totally forgot the H/Z difference, would have went over my head.

Roland1979

Going to be ordering soon.
Please take a look.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4
Fans: Scythe Gentle Typhoon [HAVE]
PSU: Sea Sonic X-650 v2
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
CPU: i5-3570K
Sink: Cooler Master Hyper 412S [HAVE]
GPU: Palit GeForce GTX 770 JetStream (2GB)
SPU: Soundblaster Z [HAVE]
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 1600MHz CL7 2 x 4 GB [HAVE]
SSD: Samsung 840 Series 500GB
HDD: Seagate Baracuda ST31000524AS 1TB [HAVE]

Please take a look.

Looks good to me.

knitoe

Please take a look.

Get 3/4GB video card.

Addnan

Why? So much more expensive and i will use only one monitor.

Everyone seems to think its a good idea to invest for the future. 2GB will be enough for the near future and by the time 4GB is a must these cards will be outdated. Just my opinion. No point wasting money on 4GB, unless you really need it right now.

Willectro

Banned
Nothing is blocking the cards, it just not aligning properly. Motherboard seems to be seated properly and working proper when I installed Win 7 (and used the IGP). This is what it looks like when it's "properly" seated:

Actually screwing it in takes it off the slot. Gonna contact Fractal Design support to see if it's fixable (does seem fixable - looks like I need longer standoffs), otherwise gonna have to get a new case which sucks because the other case I like, the Nanoxia Deep Silence 1, I don't know where to find.

Holy shit, I'm going to check with a buddy today, but I'm 99% sure he has a Fractal Design R4 Windowed and had the same issue (just not with SLI). None of the holes in the case seemed to line up, both motherboard and video card. I think he was able to force the screw in eventually. I made fun of him for the issue, but now I'm wondering if it was the manufacturer.

Roland1979

Everyone seems to think its a good idea to invest for the future. 2GB will be enough for the near future and by the time 4GB is a must these cards will be outdated. Just my opinion. No point wasting money on 4GB, unless you really need it right now.

I'll just buy a new card in 3/4 years. After 2/3 years i might have to lower some options, but probably not that drastic. If that can save me 300,- i can buy a whole new card for 300 by then.

erick

Banned

1. If well done, it looks immediately impressive to whoever happens to see it, even if they know next to nothing about PCs. You can spend an hour trying to convey your level of expertise to a novice or even an adept, but a good-looking case can do the same job in mere seconds.

2. I personally have just one red LED vent to light the inside of my windowed Silverstone Raven RV02, which makes it seem as if I had a hearth in the corner of my room - very warm and friendly in the dark, while being totally bad-ass at the same time.

3. Friends with good cameras can take shots of your rig that border on being artsy.

Example:

1MIPRAV.jpg

Dust on my cooler almost looks like the grime on a freshly-polished engine.

I personally hate it. Not to mention if it's your vision field, it can do harm to your eyes (especially the very birght LED ones).
My PC is on the floor, in an Antec P182. I don't hear it (thanks Noctua), I don't see it, it just works. :)

Why? So much more expensive and i will use only one monitor.

Get 3/4GB video card.

It only depends on how long he plans on keeping the card that decides if Roland should get a 4GB card. So Roland, how long do you plan on keeping it till you upgrade again?

Hola PC GAF.

I'm looking at sticking a new server together with one of these shiny new Haswell CPUs. Can anyone recommend me a solid motherboard to go with? I don't care about any features such as crossfire or overclocking, all I need is for it to run rock solid for as long as possible. HDMI output would also be a major plus.

erick

Banned
I kinda wish now that I wouldn't have bought a windowed case cause the blue LEDs on my mobo (MSI MPower) are really, really bright.

Why don't you cover them up? I used red play-dough to get rid of the same problem (covered up the LED with it). Some black tape will probably also do the trick.

knitoe

It only depends on how long he plans on keeping the card that decides if Roland should get a 4GB card. So Roland, how long do you plan on keeping it till you upgrade again?

There are games already using >2GB. Once nextgen console are release, I expect many more, if not most, will. And, people have this false assumption certain resolution requires only X VRAM. Why. Because, games are coded for specific VRAM amount limit, currently 2GB. To break that barrier limit, you have to use extreme none recommended settings, like insane resolution and/or AA, which most video cards don't have power or bandwidth to be effective. And, that's where people get this wrong assumption. A better way, but highly unoptimized, is by using user created mods, like in Skyrim. 4GB vs 2GB makes a huge difference here. Once Nextgen consoles are release, I expect the coded 2GB barrier limit will be upped. Not due to using insane res and/or AA, but larger textures, further draw distance and etc., similar to current unoptimized user mods. When will that happen. If not this holiday, definitely, by the next.

Grumbul

So what would be the best process for installing a new graphics card?

I was thinking:

1. Uninstall existing drivers
  2. Shutdown PC
  3. Remove existing card
  4. Install new card
  5. Boot up
  6. Install latest drivers

That all makes sense in my head but is there something obvious I am missing - for example is Windows going to have some sort of problem with a hardware change like this?

Dave_6

Why don't you cover them up? I used red play-dough to get rid of the same problem (covered up the LED with it). Some black tape will probably also do the trick.

May try that. I need to shut it off anyways and clean the filters.

LCGeek

formerly sane
So what would be the best process for installing a new graphics card?

I was thinking:

1. Uninstall existing drivers
  2. Shutdown PC
  3. Remove existing card
  4. Install new card
  5. Boot up
  6. Install latest drivers

That all makes sense in my head but is there something obvious I am missing - for example is Windows going to have some sort of problem with a hardware change like this?

Only thing that might happen in regards to windows is activation features getting funky at times. Nothing big either it will just bring up a screen ask you to redo, certain games will give up issues more than windows will.

Croyles

I just got my BitFenix Shinobi tower today and realized it's the core version which doesn't come with any fans. Fail.

How many should I buy, what sizes other than 120mm and where should I stick em?

I also noticed that the EVGA 4G GTX 760 I bought only has 1 fan.
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00DO45K8G/

CPU: i7 3770k
MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V LK
Heatsink: CoolerMaster 212 EVO
PSU: XFX P1-550S-XXB9 Core Edition
CASE: BitFenix Shinobi
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Black 2x8GB
GPU: GTX 760 4GB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB
SSD: Samsung 840 120GB
DRIVE: ASUS DRW-24B1ST

I just got my BitFenix Shinobi tower today and realized it's the core version which doesn't come with any fans. Fail.

How many should I buy, what sizes other than 120mm and where should I stick em?

I also noticed that the EVGA 4G GTX 760 I bought only has 1 fan.
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00DO45K8G/

CPU: i7 3770k
MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V LK
Heatsink: CoolerMaster 212 EVO
PSU: XFX P1-550S-XXB9 Core Edition
CASE: BitFenix Shinobi
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Black 2x8GB
GPU: GTX 760 4GB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB
SSD: Samsung 840 120GB
DRIVE: ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Take a look at the cooling articles linked in the OP.
2 fans is fine, 3 fans is better and it's diminishing returns from there.
I particularly like the Arctic F series PWM fans, so I'd grab 2 or three of those and be done with it. But maybe someone more knowledgeable will tune in and recommend something better.

FYI, I'm selling a Silverstone MLB03 HTPC case and a Silverstone ST50F-ES PSU in the trade / sale thread.

Both are brand new and unopened, client backed out of a HTPC build and I'm stuck with the parts and I'd love to get rid of them.

mkenyon

Banned
LED's and windows in cases, fuck them!
Ya its tacky to me.

The case I'm buying has blue LED fans which I dont like, but there's three fans and a ton of other great features for really cheap.

Is there any way to disable the lights? Some wire I can pull on them or something?
1) Yeah, there should be a separate power cable for the LEDs. If not, then PM me your address and I can send you some fans to replace them that have no LEDs.

2) It's all about how they are used. Is this tacky?

murderbox_mkii_custom_made_pc_sy1am.jpg

Croyles

Take a look at the cooling articles linked in the OP.
2 fans is fine, 3 fans is better and it's diminishing returns from there.
I particularly like the Arctic F series PWM fans, so I'd grab 2 or three of those and be done with it. But maybe someone more knowledgeable will tune in and recommend something better.

Thanks.

What about my GPU? I was going to go for the normal 2gb EVGA GTX 760 which has ACX cooling with 2 fans. Ended up buying the 4GB version which just has 1 blower type fan. Is the 4GB even worth it? It costs about 40 euros more.

Addnan

LEDs can look beautiful when done right. Did that Iron Man colour scheme build ever finish with the LED that pulsated that was looking pretty cool.

bro1

Banned
JfzzIMy.jpg

I've had that happen. You need to put the card in a bit different and then it will fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom