• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Yeah, there should be a separate power cable for the LEDs. If not, then PM me your address and I can send you some fans to replace them that have no LEDs.

2) It's all about how they are used. Is this tacky?

murderbox_mkii_custom_made_pc_sy1am.jpg

Isn't that the $1000 case though?

Seanspeed

Banned
1) Yeah, there should be a separate power cable for the LEDs. If not, then PM me your address and I can send you some fans to replace them that have no LEDs.

2) It's all about how they are used. Is this tacky?

murderbox_mkii_custom_made_pc_sy1am.jpg
Thats pretty decent. Havent seen many tastefully done like that, though.

As for the fans, I'll figure it out man. Thats super nice of ya but I'm pretty sure it shouldnt be too hard to disconnect or block out the lights.

Soooooo.......now I'm thinking this old monitor I have might not be up to par! lol. Looking at some new ones out of curiosity and it seems like these IPS monitors are quite the rage for anyone not going 120hz. There's an LG model for £130 but I see no reviews for it. Is LG a safe bet? I was pretty happy with my last one.

SoulClap

I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this issue before? I have a 3820 clocked at 4.4GHz on a Gigabyte (UD3) board. I usually shut down my computer overnight. When I boot up the next day temperatures are insanely high (like around 87 degress). Windows will load extremely slowly if it even makes it past the BIOS screen. After a little while the temps will drop down to the high 30's and resume normal operation. Any ideas what could cause this issue?

I'm using an H60 BTW with the pre-applied thermal paste.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm on F11. Looks like they released a new version (F14) a few days ago.
Only reason I ask, is that I know that some of the Gigabyte X79 boards had an issue with supplying way too much voltage. Check your load line calibration settings as well as volts when you first boot up.

SoulClap

Only reason I ask, is that I know that some of the Gigabyte X79 boards had an issue with supplying way too much voltage. Check your load line calibration settings as well as volts when you first boot up.

Thanks, right now I have Vcore Loadline Calibration set to extreme. I'll play around with that setting. I also might try reapplying the paste. Would you still recommend the pea method for a chip the size of the 3820?

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks, right now I have Vcore Loadline Calibration set to extreme. I'll play around with that setting. I also might try reapplying the paste. Would you still recommend the pea method for a chip the size of the 3820?
That wouldn't account for the initial high temps settling down though. I wouldn't look at that yet until the other stuff is resolved.

WolvenOne

Edit: Nevermind, I'll wait till mid September and grab a AMD FX-8350. They should start discounting them by then, in preparation for the Steamroller CPU's.

snack

Hey guys, I found a Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk for $139.99 BNIB at my computer store. Is this worth it? My understanding is that there will be new SSDs coming out soon by Samsung so should I wait it out a little longer or will the prices for the previous gen not go any lower?

maneil99

Will running my 780 in PCI-E 3.0 8x lose any performance over 16x?

I don't think it will fit in the top slot with a 212 +. Anyone here running the Gene V or another mATX with a 212 have there gpu in the top slot

mkenyon

Banned
Will running my 780 in PCI-E 3.0 8x lose any performance over 16x?

I don't think it will fit in the top slot with a 212 +. Anyone here running the Gene V or another mATX with a 212 have there gpu in the top slot
No, no performance loss.

But, it should fit fine.
Hey guys, I found a Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk for $139.99 BNIB at my computer store. Is this worth it? My understanding is that there will be new SSDs coming out soon by Samsung so should I wait it out a little longer or will the prices for the previous gen not go any lower?
Worth it definitely.

Astra

Does anyone have any experience with one-handed keyboards, or gaming keyboard with all the necessary keys clustered at the left side?

My current set-up doesn't lend itself very well to a standard keyboard. My hand is getting pretty sore and cramped while gaming.

I was thinking of something like this but the reviews say the software is buggy.
Maybe something like this one. I like the analog stick on the Logitech. Perhaps combine it with an MMO mouse to have all the keys I need within easy reach and hopefully stop the hand cramps.

slapnuts

ATTENTION: Newegg.com has AMD HD Sapphire Dual-X 7970 OC Edition 3GB Video card on sale for $319.99 FREE SHIPPING Price Includes the Bonus EXTRA 9% off w/ promo code EMCXNVR54 ends 7/31! That price is without any mail-in rebate! ..that is a direct price but with rebate its even cheaper, it comes with a $20 dollar rebate making it $300.00.. It has the Dual-X cooler which is a pretty bad ass cooler to be honest.

Here is the link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008

As for the rebate, once you file the rebate, it only takes 5-7 businesses days if you choose "fast rebate option" when filling out the rebate online, they just take out 1 dollar for the faster rebate service..otherwise you're rebate will come in 4 months. I can vouch on the 4 of these cards i've bought in the past ..the rebates all came in on time using their 5-7 day extra fast service...comes on an American Express Gift Card.

I bought this same card for one of my own rigs and 3 for custom builds for local area clients of mine and all of hem overclocks well and has a unlocked bios using Trixx v4.4.0 ..im talking about this newer model with the blue PCB ...i easily got 1150mhz core/1650mhz memory. Two of them i reached a stable 1200mhz core with less than 1.3 voltage.

So guys, what would a current gpu that could be compared to a gtx 480?

I have one laying around, and I thought maybe I could sell it. I just want to price it according to its actual value.

Hola PC GAF.

I'm looking at sticking a new server together with one of these shiny new Haswell CPUs. Can anyone recommend me a solid motherboard to go with? I don't care about any features such as crossfire or overclocking, all I need is for it to run rock solid for as long as possible. HDMI output would also be a major plus.

Anyone? Doesn't have to be a particular model. Maybe just a brand that's known for being particularly reliable?

knitoe

I don't care much for image quality, i care about more frames. I play online way more then offline sp. The GTX 770 Jet Stream 2GB is much higher clocked then a GTX 760 4GB . No i'm in doubt. Which way to go?

If you are willing to sacrifice graphics and keep the game under the 2GB VRAM limit, the 770 will give you better fps. But, if your game settings leads to >2GB, you are going to experience major stuttering and performance will be shit. Today, it's not a big deal since games are coded for 2GB limit. Once games are coded for 3-4GB, maybe next year, you will have to make major sacrifices, use low-med settings, to avoid stuttering.

kennah

Anyone? Doesn't have to be a particular model. Maybe just a brand that's known for being particularly reliable?
We have no idea the long term stability of any Haswell motherboards yet.

Usually the Intel OEM ones are solid without being special, but I don't think any have been released yet

Can anyone give their experiences with the Dell U2410 monitor? Found one on Craigslist for fairly cheap and thinking about upgrading my second monitor to this.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I don't care much for image quality, i care about more frames. I play online way more then offline sp. The GTX 770 Jet Stream 2GB is much higher clocked then a GTX 760 4GB . No i'm in doubt. Which way to go?

id get the 760 since console ports are going to want the ram.

mkenyon

Banned
Gigabyte H87 UP3 would be my pick then. Get the mATX if you don't need all those expansion slots. Stick it in something like the Define Mini.

Damian.

Banned
A 770 2GB will outperform a 4GB 760

I feel this way as well. After knowing that both next gen systems are going for ~5GB of total usable RAM, I started to feel better about having a 2GB 680 setup. I think it will be some time before games start to need more than that for VRAM alone.

kharma45

Edit: Nevermind, I'll wait till mid September and grab a AMD FX-8350. They should start discounting them by then, in preparation for the Steamroller CPU's.

If Steamroller is gonna be the upgrade one source at AMD boasted about you'll want it to get it not Piledriver. Still, it's questionable if it was just a boast or if there is any actual foundation in it.

Go for it!

ATTENTION: Newegg.com has AMD HD Sapphire Dual-X 7970 OC Edition 3GB Video card on sale for $319.99 FREE SHIPPING Price Includes the Bonus EXTRA 9% off w/ promo code EMCXNVR54 ends 7/31! That price is without any mail-in rebate! ..that is a direct price but with rebate its even cheaper, it comes with a $20 dollar rebate making it $300.00.. It has the Dual-X cooler which is a pretty bad ass cooler to be honest.

Here is the link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008

As for the rebate, once you file the rebate, it only takes 5-7 businesses days if you choose "fast rebate option" when filling out the rebate online, they just take out 1 dollar for the faster rebate service..otherwise you're rebate will come in 4 months. I can vouch on the 4 of these cards i've bought in the past ..the rebates all came in on time using their 5-7 day extra fast service...comes on an American Express Gift Card.

I bought this same card for one of my own rigs and 3 for custom builds for local area clients of mine and all of hem overclocks well and has a unlocked bios using Trixx v4.4.0 ..im talking about this newer model with the blue PCB ...i easily got 1150mhz core/1650mhz memory. Two of them i reached a stable 1200mhz core with less than 1.3 voltage.

Awesome deal.

Danj

Argh, managed to scratch the paint on my Node 304 case :/ is there any sort of paint retouching kit / repair kit or something that I can get?

WolvenOne

If Steamroller is gonna be the upgrade one source at AMD boasted about you'll want it to get it not Piledriver. Still, it's questionable if it was just a boast or if there is any actual foundation in it.

Yes, well, considering how much I'm playing this game, and how much strain it puts on CPU's, I'll need to pick up a new CPU as soon as I can afford it. If Steamroller isn't releasing till the end of the year, or 2014, waiting will be difficult.

Mind you, if I find a cheap enough CPU thats still a decent upgrade, I might be able to get by till mid 2014 or something.

Also, might be able to bump the clock back upto 4.0ghz, now that I've installed a GPU with slightly lower energy needs, (I think.) I had to drop my clock down to 3.8, because it was blue-screening during resource intense tasks, despite the heatsink keeping the thing in the mid 40c's. I'm assuming at this point that, I was just slightly exceeding my power supplies capabilities, after clocking that phenom 2 X4 nearly a whole ghz.

700watt power supply incidentally, though of course some supplies fudge the numbers a bit.

kharma45

I have a question, Coolermaster gave me a upgraded fan for my 212 + replacement. It looks like this http://imgur.com/hoyqS7u,W34dFdE#0

The first image is the replacement, the 2nd is the broken fan. The screws don't seem to want to screw into the holes of the new fan

The fan is supposed to clip on with one of these not be screwed in

CM_212Plus_clip_sm.jpg

Yes, well, considering how much I'm playing this game, and how much strain it puts on CPU's, I'll need to pick up a new CPU as soon as I can afford it. If Steamroller isn't releasing till the end of the year, or 2014, waiting will be difficult.

Mind you, if I find a cheap enough CPU thats still a decent upgrade, I might be able to get by till mid 2014 or something.

Also, might be able to bump the clock back upto 4.0ghz, now that I've installed a GPU with slightly lower energy needs, (I think.) I had to drop my clock down to 3.8, because it was blue-screening during resource intense tasks, despite the heatsink keeping the thing in the mid 40c's. I'm assuming at this point that, I was just slightly exceeding my power supplies capabilities, after clocking that phenom 2 X4 nearly a whole ghz.

700watt power supply incidentally, though of course some supplies fudge the numbers a bit.

October is the last date I saw for it. You won't go wrong with an i5 if you need to upgrade and have the cash, they're brilliant frankly.

If you've a good quality 700w PSU then power isn't an issue, you'll not be getting close to the full limit of it.

maneil99

The fan is supposed to clip on with one of these not be screwed in

CM_212Plus_clip_sm.jpg

October is the last date I saw for it. You won't go wrong with an i5 if you need to upgrade and have the cash, they're brilliant frankly.

If you've a good quality 700w PSU then power isn't an issue, you'll not be getting close to the full limit of it.

Those are the old Clip ons, now they use brackets

07-cooler-master-hyper-212-evo.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Okay, got all the parts. After fumbling to get the cover off, I put the i5 in aligned and AFAIK "seated." But trying to take the "loading lever" down to lock it in place I can't seem to get the "LOTES" cover thing to go past the "retention" pin? I'm worried I'm going to break this thing if I force it but am I supposed to force it? I'm reading the manuals but they're mostly a little too technical for me and the videos OP provides don't have captions to let me know some of this shit so I'm slightly blind. HALP?

The motherboard is an MSI Z77A-GD55 if that makes a difference?

mkenyon

Banned
I'm crossing my fingers for an amazing gaming CPU. With how focused Bulldozer/Vishera was on multi-threaded tasks, they really need to work on per-thead performance to make it viable.

If it were to be on even terms with the 3570K or 2500K even, I'd say we should start putting them in the OP.
Okay, got all the parts. After fumbling to get the cover off, I put the i5 in aligned and AFAIK "seated." But trying to take the "loading lever" down to lock it in place I can't seem to get the "LOTES" cover thing to go past the "retention" pin? I'm worried I'm going to break this thing if I force it but am I supposed to force it? I'm reading the manuals but they're mostly a little too technical for me and the videos OP provides don't have captions to let me know some of this shit so I'm slightly blind. HALP?

This is literally the scariest part of a build. You just need to use more force. Trust.

To boost your confidence, if it breaks, I'll send you a 2500K.

kharma45

The levers do take a fair bit of force.

Those are the old Clip ons, now they use brackets

07-cooler-master-hyper-212-evo.jpg

Shows how little I remember installing my Hyper 212 Evo, could've sworn mine had those clip on things.

I'm crossing my fingers for an amazing gaming CPU. With how focused Bulldozer/Vishera was on multi-threaded tasks, they really need to work on per-thead performance to make it viable.

One source that VR Zone said 45% IPC improvement (although it isn't explicit if that's from Bulldozer or Piledriver), I hope he's right.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This is literally the scariest part of a build. You just need to use more force. Trust.

To boost your confidence, if it breaks, I'll send you a 2500K.

You sure? the board seems to be slightly bending (not broken but "bending") and I'm not feeling anything going past the pin. That's what is worrying me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom