• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

Reposting for new page - are there any good/easy ways to retouch the paint on my Node 304 case if I've accidentally scraped it a bit?
Good- nope
Easy- nope

Email Fractal for suggestions. Maybe try to colour match it at a car place.

Or be super classy and fill it in with sharpie

Somnid

So I've been having some issues lately with my computer. Every 2 out of 3 times I try to boot the GPU fan doesn't spin up and I get no output. Typically the way to fix it is to unplug the PSU and wait 30 seconds and try again. I am also getting some problem with the system rebooting while playing games. My conclusion is that something is up with my PSU.

Anyone have a good recommendation for a new one? Currently I'm running cross-fire 6970s so it'll need to be beefy enough to handle that.

Also, unrelated but have the Haswell C2 mobo been released? My GF is chomping at the bit to do a build but doesn't want the USB sleep issues.

Addnan

If you are a professional that needs the extra power and cores and pci-e lanes - totally.

If you are a gamer - no
But it's fun to have if you have the money to spare and then the entry level E is priced lower than a 4770K. Yeah a good X79 motherboard will cost more than a good Z87, but still.

I want to upgrade to the Asus P8Z77 from the recommended MSI board, but it seems the Asus gets a lot of flak and bad reviews. Anyone experienced any of the negativity?

If you are a professional that needs the extra power and cores and pci-e lanes - totally.

If you are a gamer - no
Pretty much. Those 12 threads do come in handy in parallel-heavy applications though... still, $1000...dayum. o_O
But it's fun to have if you have the money to spare and then the entry level E is priced lower than a 4770K. Yeah a good X79 motherboard will cost more than a good Z87, but still.
But if Intel is continuing to support this -E line, why don't they update the X79 chipset? No PCIE 3.0 , USB 3.0, etc.
I want to upgrade to the Asus P8Z77 from the recommended MSI board, but it seems the Asus gets a lot of flak and bad reviews. Anyone experienced any of the negativity?
Wat? I'm on ASUS last 10+ years and all the boards were rock stable and good. Currently rocking Z87-PRO and I recommend it without hesitation.

kharma45

Pretty much. Those 12 threads do come in handy in parallel-heavy applications though... still, $1000...dayum. o_O

But if Intel is continuing to support this -E line, why don't they update the X79 chipset? No PCIE 3.0 , USB 3.0, etc.

It has those.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Right now, the 3570k and 4670K are identical in price ($220). Does that make the Haswell cpu a no brainer? Or is the easier overclocking of Ivybridge because of better heat dispersion still worth it? I am going stock cooling for now.

It has those.
IIRC, only Xeon supports PCIE 3.0
Right now, the 3570k and 4670K are identical in price ($220). Does that make the Haswell cpu a no brainer? Or is the easier overclocking of Ivybridge because of better heat dispersion still worth it? I am going stock cooling for now.
Depends on your needs. Do you plan to OC or not? Persuambly no because you're on stock cooling?
I'd recommend Haswell over Ivy, but honestly you can't go wrong with either one.

Any last critiques? Trying to keep under 900 pre tax.
9CvCk61.png

Seconding the recommendation of Low Profile Vengeance RAM. I had to sell off my normal Vengeance and change to Low Profile to use an NH-D14. Those headspreaders are so unnecessary.

kharma45

IIRC, only Xeon supports PCIE 3.0

The 3820 and the rest of SB-E has a 40 lane PCIe controller and supports up to PCIe 3.0 speeds (that is 8 gigatransfers per second rate), but is it not certified to comply to the PCIe 3.0 spec.

Still, as I said, X79 has both those things now.

Right now. Regular Sandy didn't support pcie 3 either. But Ivy did. Aaaand what is the next chip on the socket?

SB-E though is basically PCIe 3 in all but name.

Dawg

Check OP and see if they are available in your region.

I checked the OP and saw the Asus VS 247H-P but I'm kinda hesitant. I have a Asus VN 247H-P. That's one letter difference but the S is 2ms and mine is 1ms. I don't like mine though, because despite its 1ms, it has a nasty double image issue. If I look around in games, you can clearly see the pixels clipping/shaking/ghosting. And I know about blur, but it's a little different. If I pan the camera near a mountain with blue sky near it, then there's a ghost where the original position of the mountain was + the moving mountain image as I pan around. This happens on every game, some worse than others.

Style or substance? 1440p or 120 hz? Both? Probably not at that price.

For 60 FPS and 1080p I like the AsusVH236H (23 inch)

120hz would be cool, but a very decent 1080p/60fps monitor is thr most important thing for me. 120hz might fix the blur issue I described above though... unless a normal 60hz monitor can fix it.

mkenyon

Banned
IMPORTANT NEWS

I have it on good authority that Ivy-E processors are shipping this week, and retailers will have them next week. Embargo is September 9th, but there are rumblings that they may end up just launching anyway.

The best part about this news is that the 4820K will be $309 MSRP, making it cheaper than Haswell i7s. Haswell is officially pointless (outside of snappy emulation). We will be swapping in a 2011 build into the Enthusiast slot.

Anyone have an idea of when the Arc Mini R2 is going to be hitting stores?
They haven't even launched it on their website. Usually it's about 1-2 months from the time they put it on the website to when it actually hits retailers. So I'm guessing 3-4 months probably.

kharma45

IMPORTANT NEWS

I have it on good authority that Ivy-E processors are shipping this week, and retailers will have them next week. Embargo is September 9th, but there are rumblings that they may end up just launching anyway.

The best part about this news is that the 4820K will be $309 MSRP, making it cheaper than Haswell i7s. Haswell is officially pointless (outside of snappy emulation). We will be swapping in a 2011 build into the Enthusiast slot.

I heard $310 <.< Still, around $40 cheaper than Haswell. Didn't think they'd be shipping so soon, when I was reading earlier it was rumoured to be between September 4-10.

They haven't even launched it on their website. Usually it's about 1-2 months from the time they put it on the website to when it actually hits retailers. So I'm guessing 3-4 months probably.

http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&prod=117

Unless you are talking about something else, it has been on their website for a while, not sure when exactly it went up, but know it is the only really relevant thing that pops up when I google "arc mini r2".

Cyrix

Neo Member
Hey does anyone know if nvidia sort out that driver problem yet or should I still be running older drivers?

I just picked up a 760 to replace my 6850 and i would just grab the older drivers in the OP but the page for those dose not list the 760 as a supported card, after a quick Google search it seems like maybe the driver issue was relegated to older models.

I would appricitate any help .:)

Addnan

Hey does anyone know if nvidia sort out that driver problem yet or should I still be running older drivers?

I just picked up a 760 to replace my 6850 and i would just grab the older drivers in the OP but the page for those dose not list the 760 as a supported card, after a quick Google search it seems like maybe the driver issue was relegated to older models.

I would appricitate any help .:)
Use the new drivers. You need to on the 760 anyway, problem was with 320.18 and its been fixed now

Cyrix

Neo Member
Use the new drivers. You need to on the 760 anyway, problem was with 320.18 and its been fixed now

Thanks for the quick reply. :)
I'm off to start swapping.

Also a quick shout out to all the guys who contribute to this thread, especially those who contributed to the OP it's a wealth of great info.

mkenyon

Banned
http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&prod=117

Unless you are talking about something else, it has been on their website for a while, not sure when exactly it went up, but know it is the only really relevant thing that pops up when I google "arc mini r2".
They put specs up of stuff that is still in development. Basically they soft launch everything, and then when it actually releases, they'll put up a blurb on their news section.

Dawg

Is there a reason for Asrock's absense in the OP? Their motherboards are supposed to be very good at price/performance. Been using a lot of them through the years too.

musicjunkie

Neo Member
IMPORTANT NEWS

Dumb question i'm sure but difference between Ivy-E and Haswell?

Addnan

Is there a reason for Asrock's absense in the OP? Their motherboards are supposed to be very good at price/performance. Been using a lot of them through the years too.

They had issues with their extreme 4 z77 where voltage wouldn't be accurately reported. MSI and Asus are reliable and worth the money. I don't think they even cost much more last time I checked.

sammich

What is currently the best, quietest vid card that excels at 1080p? I currently have a xfx6870 thats fires up its fan like crazy on newer games. Max budget is prob 250.

Anton668

they were there. I bought one myself from the build list. But I hear the prices of other, better boards have come down in price to a more competitive level.

Addnan

What is currently the best, quietest vid card that excels at 1080p? I currently have a xfx6870 thats fires up its fan like crazy on newer games. Max budget is prob 250.

GTX760 at that budget. Anything by Gigabyte, Asus, EVGA ACX will be quiet

They put specs up of stuff that is still in development. Basically they soft launch everything, and then when it actually releases, they'll put up a blurb on their news section.

Ah, thanks for the info. Don't know if I will be able to wait another few months for it to release. Sick of making computers for other people when I'm still on 775.

mkenyon

Banned
tl;dr, they were dishonest about components they were using on their motheboards. Turns out they were using some really cheap stuff that was causing voltage issues.
Dumb question i'm sure but difference between Ivy-E and Haswell?
Intel's desktop lineup is like this: XXXXXX being IvyBridge/SandyBridge/Haswell name

XXXXXX (Consumer) XXXXXX-E (Enthusiast) XXXXXX-EP (Sever)

Consumer chips have dual channel memory, 16 PCI-E lanes, and 4C/8T procs as the best offering, dual core procs as the baseline processors. K processors can be overclocked.

Enthusiast chips have quad channel memory, 40 PCI-E Lanes, and 6C/12T procs as the best offering. All processors can be overclocked, baseline offering is a 4C/8T processor.

EP is like a version of enthusiast with a higher focus on offering server stuffs (can't remember differences off the top of my head), but none of these can be overclocked.

Ivy-E will perform really similar to Sandy-E, with a slight improvement of maybe 4-10%.

The important part for people in this thread are these two things.

1) Ivy-E will have the heat spreader soldered on. This means good temps with the right cooling, which also means good overclocking.

2) Those who want a 4C/8T proc (like people with an eye on the 3770K or 4770K) will be able to get one for less money with more features.

kharma45

I've been fiddling with my OC a bit to see if a few more volts will help me reach the 4.5GHz promised land but when I change the multiplier to 45x the overclock still remains stuck at 4.2GHz. Bizarre.

Seanspeed

Banned
So ehm, what's a decent monitor these days? (<€200)
I have no idea. Its next to impossible to test these monitors out yourself so youre largely just going by internet reviews and price/looks/features, which isnt comforting for me when it seems every single monitor has a fair share of bad reviews.

I'm kinda struggling with this right now cuz my monitor is older and I'd like a new one but have no idea what to get. I went to PC World today to try and see if these ISP panels are that special but the setups they had their small amount of monitors was an incredibly useless demo screen that told me nothing. Annoying.

Zaph

IMPORTANT NEWS

Shit, this has thrown a spanner into the works.

How would you say this affects ITX builds? I've been waiting for the Maximus VI Impact to arrive in the UK, but I'd have to ditch it if I go with IB. Would your recommendation be 4820K with P8Z77-i?

Dawg

I have no idea. Its next to impossible to test these monitors out yourself so youre largely just going by internet reviews and price/looks/features, which isnt comforting for me when it seems every single monitor has a fair share of bad reviews.

I'm kinda struggling with this right now cuz my monitor is older and I'd like a new one but have no idea what to get. I went to PC World today to try and see if these ISP panels are that special but the setups they had their small amount of monitors was an incredibly useless demo screen that told me nothing. Annoying.

Hey Seanspeed, that's exactly my problem. Bought my last monitor based on positive user reviews on amazon/newegg and it actually was pretty awful. I guess not everyone on those sites has high standards/is not a gamer. That, or they just don't care about ghosting and all. (Some friends of mine don't even notice the difference between 30 and 60 fps)

Addnan

Shit, this has thrown a spanner into the works.

How would you say this affects ITX builds? I've been waiting for the Maximus VI Impact to arrive in the UK, but I'd have to ditch it if I go with IB. Would your recommendation be 4820K with P8Z77-i?

It doesn't. I don't think there are any 2011 ITX boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom