• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I don't see it in Classic Shell.

Is there anyway to get 16:9 options? My monitor stretches on the screen setting of "Stretch" view settings but the "Dot-by-dot" view setting is a 4:3 resolution. So I have black bars on a widescreen monitor and I'm not sure if Windows 8 is detecting the Sharp monitor right...

scaling options? not sure for tv, but whenever I update drivers I seem to have to go in and ffix them here...

iPeJTGI2M9gaK.png

That's the thing. I can't find any scaling options. Everyone seems to have more options/tabs in CCC than me.

kharma45

Frame Rating: Catalyst 13.8 Brings Frame Pacing to AMD Radeon
AMD deserves a lot of credit for stepping up and addressing these frame pacing issues with the 13.8 beta driver. It took a brand new testing methodology to really prove that there was an issue with CrossFire and even internally at AMD it seemed there was a debate if the results we published were "real." Not only does this driver validate everything we have worked on for the last two years but the fact that AMD has decided to enable the frame pacing fix by default emphasizes that fact even more. Evenly paced frames results in a smoother animation and does not mean that your input latency increases in any way.

Users of AMD CrossFire systems in the HD 7000 family should install this new driver and see if they can see or feel the difference. I am confident that users will! In fact, I would love to get some feedback from readers and gamers in the comments section below about their experiences with the 13.8 drivers. Was it better? The same? Worse??

I'll continue to pester AMD to get the rest of the issues fixed: DX9 games, Eyefinity, 4K, etc. But today AMD gets to hold its head up high for improving CrossFire dramatically for a majority of its users.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Rating-Catalyst-138-Brings-Frame-Pacing-AMD-Radeon

I don't see it in Classic Shell.

Is there anyway to get 16:9 options? My monitor stretches on the screen setting of "Stretch" view settings but the "Dot-by-dot" view setting is a 4:3 resolution. So I have black bars on a widescreen monitor and I'm not sure if Windows 8 is detecting the Sharp monitor right...

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable...creen-thumbnail-app-switch-list-in-windows-8/

As for the monitor, check your GPU driver settings aren't conflicting or anything.

RoKKeR

Hold up, I found something fishy. Here are my 3D Mark 11 test results. I restored my i5 2500k to stock clocks for the test.

What caught me off guard was that when I scroll down to my Graphics Card details, it says my Core clock is 540Mhz. That...is incorrect. The core clock of this card should nbe 1137MHz. What do?

TheSeks

I'm thinking it's because it's a TV/Monitor. Sharp doesn't have any drivers for it. I guess I should install the EVGA drivers since right now Windows is using generic display drivers but it doesn't inspire confidence in me.

kharma45

I'm thinking it's because it's a TV/Monitor. Sharp doesn't have any drivers for it. I guess I should install the EVGA drivers since right now Windows is using generic display drivers but it doesn't inspire confidence in me.

Yep get proper drivers for your GPU installed. TV or not it should still be displaying properly.

Addnan

Hold up, I found something fishy. Here are my 3D Mark 11 test results. I restored my i5 2500k to stock clocks for the test.

What caught me off guard was that when I scroll down to my Graphics Card details, it says my Core clock is 540Mhz. That...is incorrect. The core clock of this card should nbe 1137MHz. What do?
Don't think that's the problem. Cards down clock when not being used and sometimes 3D mark takes the speed when its downclocked. Scores look normal. Have any other games to test? Is everything set to ultra in Batman?

edit: your first 2 scores are a little low, but the Fire Strike looks about where it should be, odd

RoKKeR

Don't think that's the problem. Cards down clock when not being used and sometimes 3D mark takes the speed when its downclocked. Scores look normal. Have any other games to test? Is everything set to ultra in Batman?

Ok, wasn't sure about that so thanks for clearing that up.

I just ran Batman's benchmark. DX11 and PhysX off, everything else set to Very HIgh and AA is FXAA. (High) Got 49 FPS average. I guess it's fine but that's pretty much what my 570 was doing in this game.

Edit: Went back to my 4.4 overclock, ran Prime 95 and was hit with this:

"Worker #4

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file
Torture Test completed 21 tests in 13 minutes - 1 errors, 0 warnings"

Haven't seen that one before. Halp.

Dawg

You'd be surprised. Most games can easy be run at 8.3ms frame times with anything from a 6950/560Ti on up. Even then, lets say you're getting 11.1ms frame times, that's still a huge upgrade from your standard 16.7ms frametimes at 60Hz. Even desktop usage with 120Hz feels godly. I'm not one for hyperbole either. Mostly.

Ok, I remember ms frame tiles were a better way to explain your fps in detail, but I'm kinda confused by those values. I'd love an 120hz screen (especially the ones where you can activate that remove blurness option)

However, there are already games where I drop under 60fps with my gtx 670 ftw / i5 3570k. I play a lot of demanding games and I don't have the money for SLI, so that's why I'm hesitant to go 120hz.

knitoe

Ok, wasn't sure about that so thanks for clearing that up.

I just ran Batman's benchmark. DX11 and PhysX off, everything else set to Very HIgh and AA is FXAA. (High) Got 49 FPS average. I guess it's fine but that's pretty much what my 570 was doing in this game.

Edit: Went back to my 4.4 overclock, ran Prime 95 and was hit with this:

"Worker #4

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file
Torture Test completed 21 tests in 13 minutes - 1 errors, 0 warnings"

Haven't seen that one before. Halp.

Increase VCore voltage and retest.

I was wondering if I can solicit ideas from you guys.

My sister wants to get her husband a ($6XX) custom PC for his birthday and sought my help. I usually buy parts from newegg and build it myself, but can't do this for my sister(Los Angeles) because I live too far(Eastern Canada).
Apparently the American NCIX website doesn't offer assembly service like the Canadian NCIX. I realize there are places like ibuypower or cyberpower, but do you guys have other options in mind with regard to ordering parts with assembly?

Thanks in advance!

RoKKeR

Increase VCore voltage and retest.
This has worked so far, passed the 8K test. Thanks.

EDIT: Went for about 30 minutes this time without problem, but then Worker 4 got the same error again. Increased the offset voltage a bit more, trying agin.

Jesus Christ, this dual screen set-up has just been a headache.

I had originally hooked my new build up to my TV through HDMI. Everything was good. The screen fit, the resolution was good, audio worked fine, BioShock ran like a dream.

Of course, I wanted to have a monitor as a default and just use the TV for games and movies. So I hooked up the monitor with a VGA cable and re-connected the TV with HDMI. Now, first off, the TV now has the edges cut-off, and I can't find any options in Catalyst Control Center to scale or alter overscan. No options on the TV either.

I re-installed Catalyst to see if maybe I would get more options, like everyone else seemed to have. Nope. Still the same.

Eventually I decided to see how tolerable it would be to play a game with these drawbacks. I started Steam Big Picture Mode to find it was not playing any sound. I went into the control panel and had the test chime play perfectly. Tried Steam again and was still getting no sound. Tried launching the game anyway and found it was stuttering severely,

Goddammit. What the hell is the issue here? Is it the two different types of cables? I admittedly have an old TV and a cheap monitor.

Edit: Speaking of getting a new monitor, any recommendations for a 27"+one with HDMI, and a $300 price limit? Headphone jack would be a plus, but not a must. Was looking at this one.

TheSeks

Okay, GTX drivers are installed. The Nvidia control panel doesn't auto-detect my monitor.

Monitor is still on the "Generic PnP" drivers MS includes in Win8. How do I change my monitor to the GTX and hopefully get my widescreen back?

Edit: Disabled Generic PnP but the GTX's control panel doesn't show 16:9 resolutions. WTF. :/ I'm going to attempt to connect to the generic port instead of the video card and the HDMI to see if that fixes the problem...

Generic ports don't show anything so the graphics card is the lead even with Generic PnP monitor enabled. Haven't tried the HDMI port yet but man... so annoying.

I think I got it. LCD TV/Monitor wasn't set to 1360x768 in "PC Set-up." Not it seems to be stretching fine no matter the view mode. Hoorah.

Instro

So I'm trying to update the bios on my z87-g45. I have the file i need on a usb, I go to the m-flash function, but then when I actually try to update it just freezes up after I select the file on my usb. What's the deal? Should I just use the LIVE update thing? Although that seems a little sketchy.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I was wondering if I can solicit ideas from you guys.

My sister wants to get her husband a ($6XX) custom PC for his birthday and sought my help. I usually buy parts from newegg and build it myself, but can't do this for my sister(Los Angeles) because I live too far(Eastern Canada).
Apparently the American NCIX website doesn't offer assembly service like the Canadian NCIX. I realize there are places like ibuypower or cyberpower, but do you guys have other options in mind with regard to ordering parts with assembly?

Thanks in advance!
How hot is your sister? YGPM

I'm looking for a monitor to pair with my brand new PC. I'm trying to decide between Asus VG248qe (144Hz) or Asus VS247H-P. Any suggestions? Thanks guys.

TheSeks

Okay, one last annoyance for tonight: Classic Shell is supposed to allow the "pin to start menu" function of Windows to work like normal but it isn't pinning anything to the start menu for me and I can't seem to figure out how to get apps to go into the custom start menu tab in the Classic Shell settings...

I just want to put Steam/Chrome/Firefox/Kindle in it, devs. :(

senahorse

Why is there a hammer o_O

One of the most important pieces, to bash the hell out of my 4770K aka delidding.

Edit: This is one of the things I am combating

Tempbefore_zpse376297e.png~original

Keep in mind this is far from typical usage, running Intel Burn Test, Prime95 had me in the low 80's.

maneil99

Does doing alot of bios flashes on a motherboard damage it or cause harm? I have done 87 or more over the last week to get this usb to work, turns out it was working...

peakish

Is anyone familiar with GPU whine? In some games mine gets very noisy, it's been particularly noticable in some game menus. I checked the fan speeds through MSI Afterburner but there doesn't seem to be any coupling between those and the noise. Can it be my PSU being bad for certain very specific power draws?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Does doing alot of bios flashes on a motherboard damage it or cause harm? I have done 87 or more over the last week to get this usb to work, turns out it was working...
I don't think so, but 87 is a bit above the average.
Is anyone familiar with GPU whine? In some games mine gets very noisy, it's been particularly noticable in some game menus. I checked the fan speeds through MSI Afterburner but there doesn't seem to be any coupling between those and the noise. Can it be my PSU being bad for certain very specific power draws?
Cap your framerate in your drivers to 60 or 120 or 144. Your GPU is rending menus at 500+ FPS and it's causing whine.

Nothing. 3DMark detects the core clock of both CPU and GPU wrong all the time. Use MSI Afterburner or eVGA Precision to verify your GPU clock while benching.

maneil99

I thought I had GPU whine, turned out it was PSU. In menu's it would whine like a bitch because the GPU was pulling such high power draw. Put your ear to the case

Seanspeed

Banned
Ordered my 670 on Tuesday. Shipping was one day. Still not here yet. Ugh. Gotta make some phone calls today. I'm not in any hurry but I'm scared somebody might have walked off with my package.

Shaldome

Water Cooling parts have arrived, installation tomorrow hopefully :D

wc_zps7767b9d6.png~original

Parts list post #4064

Ohhh, nice, got to check this out. I think I will try to complete my list this weekend.
I am considering delidding my 3770, but I have to think about this some more, as my mechanical skills are not that great.

Addnan

Ordered my 670 on Tuesday. Shipping was one day. Still not here yet. Ugh. Gotta make some phone calls today. I'm not in any hurry but I'm scared somebody might have walked off with my package.

They use DPD right? Did you not get a text and email saying we will deliver better 12-1 for example. Should be on the tracking page too.

senahorse

Ohhh, nice, got to check this out. I think I will try to complete my list this weekend.
I am considering delidding my 3770, but I have to think about this some more, as my mechanical skills are not that great.

I have gone a little overboard and you can make do with a lot less and still have the same level of performance. One of my goals was to have it completely automated (after the initial configuration), whereby flow rate and fan speed will dynamically change depending on the internal, external and water temperature.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hope it gets sorted.
Just had a $300 package not show up (Not for me, but under my account). Hopefully the post office is just being incompetent.
How much does ASIC score matter for GPU overclocked? Seems like I lucked out again.
Just see how far it goes before it throws errors at you.

So when I took off the NH-D14 cooler, I had way too much paste on there. Cleaned it off as you recommended and remounted the cooler.

Temps are now between 30 - 35C (a drop of at least -5C). Ran Prime95 for couple hours and temps did not go over 60C. I will attempt to OC later tonight and hopefully get to a reasonable speed with temps that I will be okay with.
Glad you sorted it out.

I have the same issue. When I ordered it was still displayed as in stock. They took the money of the card but I haven't received anything and it still says I'm in "warehouse queue" in their status page :|

knitoe

Once again, I was itching to play around with my computer. So, I just finish changing the case and fans.

Dc5U90L.jpg
fqucAUQ.jpg

To: Corsair 540
qu1kpxT.jpg
JVKRye3.jpg

The Corsair 540 has so much room to work with and you can tell the cable routing is so much better. Now, I have to rotate and fix the info on the Matrix Orbital LCD front panel.

knitoe

That case is huge. What's it like in terms of noise levels?
Rough estimate, it's about 1.6X wider than Arc Midi. Doesn't have any noise dampening material so could be loud. I made all the fans run slow so it's almost silent.
That case is siiick. Is it mid-tower or micro since its short without the psu.
Slightly shorter than the Arc Midi mid tower since the usual PSU spot is moved.

I think i should have noted when i put the link up, these were pre-orders, due in Tuesday next week, and thats when they will be shipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom