• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanspeed

Banned
Hey Seanspeed, that's exactly my problem. Bought my last monitor based on positive user reviews on amazon/newegg and it actually was pretty awful. I guess not everyone on those sites has high standards/is not a gamer. That, or they just don't care about ghosting and all. (Some friends of mine don't even notice the difference between 30 and 60 fps)
I think monitors suffer from the problem of inconsistency, too. Many people have problems that others with the same product dont. Seems like a roll of the dice almost.

mkenyon

Banned
Shit, this has thrown a spanner into the works.

How would you say this affects ITX builds? I've been waiting for the Maximus VI Impact to arrive in the UK, but I'd have to ditch it if I go with IB. Would your recommendation be 4820K with P8Z77-i?
Ivy-E is socket 2011. No ITX.

Anton668

Question, someone on another board brought up, since they had 2 die this season, that 450W PSU's couldnt handle higher ambient temps than higher wattage PSU's could.

Now, straight off, my first reaction was this person must be smoking crack. But, just want to check in to make sure there is no little know nugget of truth to this thought.

to me, any size PSU of similar quality has the same chance of dyeing more due to being ran closer to its limits than ambient temps would. right?

frogg609

I currently run 2 VH236H monitors at 1080p.

What should I be looking at monitor-wise to upgrade to? I mostly use the machine for gaming.

I have no idea. Its next to impossible to test these monitors out yourself so youre largely just going by internet reviews and price/looks/features, which isnt comforting for me when it seems every single monitor has a fair share of bad reviews.

I'm kinda struggling with this right now cuz my monitor is older and I'd like a new one but have no idea what to get. I went to PC World today to try and see if these ISP panels are that special but the setups they had their small amount of monitors was an incredibly useless demo screen that told me nothing. Annoying.

Depends on what you want: An IPS monitor for excellent color/viewing angle (more for general use) or a TN panel that can do 120Hz + Lightboost (hardcore gaming).

TFT Central is a good review site.

I settled with the latter because I'm hooking up my 42' LG to my PC anyways and that's where I'll be using to watch all my media.

Coldsnap

How come overclockers test with prime95? I got my i5 3570k to 4.9ghz, haven't delid yet, temps got up to 91 while my hottest core got above 95 during an hour of prime95. I then played Witcher 2 for two hours and the hottest my cpu got was 60*C.

kharma45

How come overclockers test with prime95? I got my i5 3570k to 4.9ghz, haven't delid yet, temps got up to 91 while my hottest core got above 95 during an hour of prime95. I then played Witcher 2 for two hours and the hottest my cpu got was 60*C.

Because it properly stress tests your CPU. 95 under prime is too hot.

knitoe

Prime95 pushes your CPU to the max. Thus, you can tell if it's stable at the OC speed and max temps under full load. While, games never push your CPU to that level.

Coldsnap

Because it properly stress tests your CPU. 95 under prime is too hot.

But will anything I do computing wise actually load my CPU that much to where I need to be conscious about temps at that load?

edit: I guess maybe if I did folding or something CPU intensive.. which I don't.

Seanspeed

Banned
Depends on what you want: An IPS monitor for excellent color/viewing angle (more for general use) or a TN panel that can do 120Hz + Lightboost (hardcore gaming).

TFT Central is a good review site.

I settled with the latter because I'm hooking up my 42' LG to my PC anyways and that's where I'll be using to watch all my media.
Cant afford a 120hz screen.

And there's apparently different types of IPS and some aren't so good and its hard to find out what has what.

And then a ton of people say choice of monitor s largely a subjective thing but there's really no way to see these screens in person.

Dawg

Yeah, I actually had a Dell U2312HM IPS too. Great colors, but pretty bad response rate. The blur was even worse than my current Asus monitor. I admit, I'm looking for a very specific monitor, one that doesn't suffer too much from ghosting/trailing too much.

Weird part is that my friends have no problems at all with that dell monitor. It's like I'm noticing something they don't. Come to think of it, I only started to notice this shizzle when we moved to a new house and I bought a new monitor. Used to have an acer monitor and never even noticed stuff on that one. It's like my current house cursed my monitor(s).

That, or I just have very bad luck with both my Dell U2312HM AND Asus VN 247H. Wonder if I should try Samsung next.

kennah

And then a ton of people say choice of monitor s largely a subjective thing but there's really no way to see these screens in person.
Not just in person but also in the environment that they are going to be used. The ambient lighting of your home is going to be way different than in a store

mkenyon

Banned
Would love to invest in a 120/144hz monitor myself, but no way I could consistently keep my gpu update enough to hit those framerates haha. Currently homing in on the VG23AH in the OP, seems to get good feedback for gaming.
You'd be surprised. Most games can easy be run at 8.3ms frame times with anything from a 6950/560Ti on up. Even then, lets say you're getting 11.1ms frame times, that's still a huge upgrade from your standard 16.7ms frametimes at 60Hz. Even desktop usage with 120Hz feels godly. I'm not one for hyperbole either. Mostly.
But will anything I do computing wise actually load my CPU that much to where I need to be conscious about temps at that load?

edit: I guess maybe if I did folding or something CPU intensive.. which I don't.
Lots of games will push your CPU close to that hard. Encoding, database stuff, etc. I saw temps on my 3570K in Dota 2 that were about 8 degrees off from Prime 95 Small FFT.
Cant afford a 120hz screen.

And there's apparently different types of IPS and some aren't so good and its hard to find out what has what.

As a general rule, IPS panels have much much worse motion resolution than TN panels. The VG23AH is the only IPS that rates really well in this category. There was a Dell 23" awhile back that was praised for great motion resolution and super low input lag, but that's since been discontinued.

dmann

dmann said:
Ambient room temp is 25C (77F). Now that you mention it, I believe I may have put too much paste on there. I'll be sure to reset it. Hopefully that will drop the temps. Thanks for the advice!

No problem. Let us know how it goes. :)

So when I took off the NH-D14 cooler, I had way too much paste on there. Cleaned it off as you recommended and remounted the cooler.

Temps are now between 30 - 35C (a drop of at least -5C). Ran Prime95 for couple hours and temps did not go over 60C. I will attempt to OC later tonight and hopefully get to a reasonable speed with temps that I will be okay with.

mkenyon

Banned
CM 690 III

900x900px-LL-2ea607f8_10_bb423e9495c46508e1e394e0b66666bc_1375044678.jpeg

CoolerMaster-CM690-III-005.jpg

Video overview here.

It's pretty clear that again, they've reinvented the chassis to completely modernize it, adding every feature you'd want and some you didn't even know you wanted. I'd say it's a dead heat between this and the Arc Midi for the best case. I wouldn't even bother looking at anything above either, in terms of price, if you just want a simple and functional case.

maneil99

If you are hitting 95c in Prime your in trouble,you should aim for under 80-85c. Witcher 2 is not CPU intensive and chances are you used vsync. YOu need to run prime95 for atleast 12 hours, recommended 24. Check for whea errors or warnings in Event Viewer ( Control Panel>Event Viewer ) If you have any that means your unstable

Addnan

Love my CM690 II, gone guess they improved the new one even more. Surprised more people here don't choose to buy the CM.

mkenyon

Banned
We kind of default to the Define R4 and Arc Midi just because they're newer. The 690 II is an incredible case still. I didn't even think that it needed updating.

Also, a heads up: Sennheiser PC-350 and PC-360 for a pretty hefty discount on NCIX right now. $130 for PC-350, $170 for PC-360. MSRP was $225 and $300 respectively.

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=29043&vpn=PC350&manufacture=Sennheiser Electronics&promoid=1062

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=52370&vpn=504122&manufacture=Sennheiser Electronics&promoid=1062

RoKKeR

So I'm a bit curious about my 770 performance. Simply, it should be running things better. Skyrim, for insrance, can't hold a solid framerate when walking around outside, and my Batman Arkhan City performance is in the 40s or lower, even when inside. (not everything is maxed, could it be PhysX?)

My i5 2500k is overclocked to 4.4Ghz, so I don't think it should be bottlenecking unless I fucked it up when overclocking or something. (should be stable) Any thoughts?

Addnan

So I'm a bit curious about my 770 performance. Simply, it should be running things better. Skyrim, for insrance, can't hold a solid framerate when walking around outside, and my Batman Arkhan City performance is in the 40s or lower, even when inside. (not everything is maxed, could it be PhysX?)

My i5 2500k is overclocked to 4.4Ghz, so I don't think it should be bottlenecking unless I fucked it up when overclocking or something. (should be stable) Any thoughts?

Batman with DirectX 11 enabled is dodgy, disable that and physx. Not sure why skyrim shouldn't be performing well though. Do you have a lot of mods enabled?

kharma45

CM 690 III

Video overview here.

It's pretty clear that again, they've reinvented the chassis to completely modernize it, adding every feature you'd want and some you didn't even know you wanted. I'd say it's a dead heat between this and the Arc Midi for the best case. I wouldn't even bother looking at anything above either, in terms of price, if you just want a simple and functional case.

Looks nice.

Love my CM690 II, gone guess they improved the new one even more. Surprised more people here don't choose to buy the CM.

I looked at it but it's pricey when it's up against the R4 really, if it was £10 cheaper it'd have a nice niche.

Batman with DirectX 11 enabled is dodgy, disable that and physx. Not sure why skyrim shouldn't be performing well though. Do you have a lot of mods enabled?

Yeah Batman in DX11 is dung, drop it to DX9 and it'll run like a dream.

Addnan

Looks nice.

I looked at it but it's pricey when it's up against the R4 really, if it was £10 cheaper it'd have a nice niche.

I actually didn't know it could run almost £100 for some colours. Bought mine in January for just over £50 when CCL were I guess clearing stock.

kharma45

I actually didn't know it could run almost £100 for some colours. Bought mine in January for just over £50 when CCL were I guess clearing stock.

When I had looked CCL had the white one at £65 or so, so I just plumped for the 200R in the end after much deliberation as it was £20 cheaper. Shinobi was the same price, sometimes wonder if I should've got it instead.

Black one is still around £80, imo they should've had it near the £65 mark all the time for it to be more popular and just ditch the lite version.

RoKKeR

Used to have a bunch of mods that kind of broke it. I reinstalled the game clean but performance is just so so.

I'll ditch DX11 in Batman, thanks for the heads up.

Thorgal

Been thinking about this all day :

do people with overklocked CPU's and GPU's encounter problems during extremely hot days ?

I checked my temps recently and because of the high temperature my temps are 5 C° higher then normal so i started wondering if people who are doing it have had their stable overklock "break" on them.

Still not getting the full picture on my TV.

Can't find any options for overscan or anything like that in Catalyst. Pretty sure my drivers are up to date.

NvRaHNA.png

kharma45

AMD 20nm GPUs coming this fall or are the rumors false?

Can't find the link but rumour is it might be pushed back.

do people with overklocked CPU's and GPU's encounter problems during extremely hot days ?

I checked my temps recently and because of the high temperature my temps are 5 C° higher then normal so i started wondering if people who are doing it have had their stable overklock "break" on them.

GPU it can get loud but nothing has ever broken or 'owt.

mkenyon

Banned
AMD 20nm GPUs coming this fall or are the rumors false?
We won't know until there's some official statements. They don't say much in the months prior. It's mostly pieced together by a myriad of leaks in the preceding weeks.

I know some people tend to throttle back a bit, but you'd have to be at the bleeding edge to have 5C make a difference.

SpyGuy239

CM 690 III

Video overview here.

I love the 690. still using my original one, first version.

THAT SECRET SSD SLOT. consider me SOLD.

Also really like the huge fan in the front. Makes sense.

CM 690 III

Video overview here.

I like the design, but the USB and interface ports are in the wrong place. I need em on the front or I break them =(

System all built and obliterating everything, hooray ! And quite quiet too. Getting the PSU in and organised was a bit tough, but the case has empty space either side of the PSU to tuck unwanted cables away quite well.

I have also noticed, things seem a bit faster loading, I think due to having the 6Gbps SATA connection now, or am I just seeing things ? That's pretty awesome.

Crysis 3 is easily playable maxed out + 4xAA, but can chug just a lil bit with lots of foliage (normal I take it ?). Blood Dragon ... its just stomps all over it. Currently downloading BF3 and hope/expect to stomp that also. Tomorrow I will try GTA IV and Max Payne 3.

The mini ITX board made me chuckle, the box it came in was diddly and even more so the actual board, never actually seen one before, but damn they are tiny.

Now methinks I shall have to get me Rise of the Triad, im on a bit of a role recently having been only really been playing old school stuff, like Doom, Duke Nukem 3D and the Serious Sams, so hope this is fun too (I never played the original).

So far, im loving it :)

Il try and get some pics up tomorrow.

My only concern is the front fan, there is no connector for it on the motherboard (the rear fan is using it), so I guess the only option is a splitter, or an adapter connecting it to the power supply ?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Okay, build done:

+/- Had to get the IT department to help me and learned a bit. I don't think I'm truly man enough to build these things myself and the Cooler Master 214 Plus was a bitch to install that it and two of the IT guys were struggling and I was struggling with them to put it on the processor but...

+The fucker runs so cool. OMG everyone in the IT department was pretty impressed with how cool it was running in an 75-80 degree server room after running/idling all day while we set it up. I'm seriously surprised at it myself. Runs cooler than my PS3 Slim runs for something like that. The true test will be gaming for as long as that but so far I'm impressed.

-Capitulated and got Win 8. Ugh, Metro. Installed the classic shell but I HATE the metro hot-keys on the corners. Is there anyway to turn that off? Also anyway to get my shutdown in the start menu? Yes I am an old man yelling at clouds/set in my ways, no I don't care. Fuck Metro. >:|

Speaking of which: Anti-virus any of you guys recommend for free that is good? I know GAF recommends Malware Bytes. But AVG or something?

kharma45

Okay, build done:

+/- Had to get the IT department to help me and learned a bit. I don't think I'm truly man enough to build these things myself and the Cooler Master 214 Plus was a bitch to install that it and two of the IT guys were struggling and I was struggling with them to put it on the processor but...

+The fucker runs so cool. OMG everyone in the IT department was pretty impressed with how cool it was running in an 75-80 degree server room after running/idling all day while we set it up. I'm seriously surprised at it myself. Runs cooler than my PS3 Slim runs for something like that. The true test will be gaming for as long as that but so far I'm impressed.

-Capitulated and got Win 8. Ugh, Metro. Installed the classic shell but I HATE the metro hot-keys on the corners. Is there anyway to turn that off? Also anyway to get my shutdown in the start menu? Yes I am an old man yelling at clouds/set in my ways, no I don't care. Fuck Metro. >:|

Speaking of which: Anti-virus any of you guys recommend for free that is good? I know GAF recommends Malware Bytes. But AVG or something?

W8 has an anti virus built in, you need nothing else.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
W8 has an anti virus built in, you need nothing else.

Really? So just Malware Bytes and that's it?

That still doesn't solve my "I want to remove the Metro hot-corners" problem though. :(

kharma45

Really? So just Malware Bytes and that's it?

That still doesn't solve my "I want to remove the Metro hot-corners" problem though. :(

Yep Windows Defender is what MSE used to be and it's perfectly good tbh. It coupled with common sense is all you need.

As for the hot corners, Classic Shell should have an option to suppress them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom