• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Well, one has you spending money. The other has you spending time. Your call, but it's not a noticeable jump up to Haswell.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
do you palm or claw?
pV2cptk.png

My claw grip CM Storm Spawn is not held like that :)

I hold it more like a fingertip grip.

KTT

How much (roughly) are bitcoin miners making?

Say they put together a ~$700 machine or something. How much would that make them per month?

Not thinking about getting into it at all. Don't have the time/patience/interest. Just wondering if they're raking in cash.

Hey everyone.

I have a quick question, I'm torn between two motherboards, the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H and the GA-Z87M-D3H. The D3H is cheaper than the UD3H and from what I've read the main difference between them is that the UD3H is better suited for overclocking. The question is, do the extra features in the UD3H justify the price if I'm not going to be doing any overclocking?

Edit: I should also add that the D3H is Micro ATX and the UD3H is ATX. I can get the UD3H for $190 and the D3H for $130.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Will it ever go back down in price?

Once Litecoins stop being profitable,
or ASICs become cheaper,
or AMD starts pumping out more GPUs than purchased,
or once faster than light travel is discovered.

Edit: apparently GPUs aren't viable for Bitcoins anymore, but are still being used for Litecoin mining.

mkenyon

Banned

Say they put together a ~$700 machine or something. How much would that make them per month?

Not thinking about getting into it at all. Don't have the time/patience/interest. Just wondering if they're raking in cash.
It's speculation, mostly. It also depends on when they started, and how big their farm is. But the people buying these cards are getting 4-5 cards at a time, having farms with even dozens of them.
Hey everyone.

I have a quick question, I'm torn between two motherboards, the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H and the GA-Z87M-D3H. The D3H is cheaper than the UD3H and from what I've read the main difference between them is that the UD3H is better suited for overclocking. The question is, do the extra features in the UD3H justify the price if I'm not going to be doing any overclocking?

Edit: I should also add that the D3H is Micro ATX and the UD3H is ATX. I can get the UD3H for $190 and the D3H for $130.
Where are you looking at for prices? That's a huge difference.

But the major difference between the two outside of overclocking is better onboard audio for the UD3H.
Well it is only $250 at Microcenter so I thought why not. Is the PSU good enough? That would be my only concern
PSU is great.

I know budgets don't work like this for everyone (myself included), but the extra money for the i7 vs the i5 would be much better saved for upgrading the videocard down the line.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

Not sure how correct this is, but it looks like about $27/day if you invest around $1500 in an ASIC.

PSU is great.

I know budgets don't work like this for everyone (myself included), but the extra money for the i7 vs the i5 would be much better saved for upgrading the videocard down the line.
Budget isn't a concern for me, but I don't want to pay more if it isn't worth it. Like I said I will mainly be using at a HTPC (BRs/streaming) and Gaming.

I can get the i7 4770K for $250 or the i5 4670K for $180. Which would be the better deal?

Thanks for the help

golem

I was holding out for a non-ref Radeon R9 290, then the price hike happened. Atm, I have an old Geforce 450 GTS in my i7 4770k build. I've been holding out for prices to stabilize, but I'm not seeing anything changing for awhile. I might just buy a Geforce GTX 760 and call it a day.

You can still get AMD cards at a decent price if you pre-order them, but if you want to purchase them in stock its very difficult. ShopBLT has worked well for me so far.

CoLaN

Pc assembled. I upgraded from an i5 750 to an i7 4770 (since i also do graphic design/video editing), and also bought a Samsung 840 EVO SSD. Kept my 670 GTX.

The performance increase is amazing, Planetside 2, Battlefield 4 and plenty other games run like a dream.

coughlanio

So after my experience with my shitty FM2+ motherboard, and 7850K, I've decided to upgrade.

Just ordered a 4770K and Maximus VI Gene. Hopefully I can sell the old parts :/

kennah

So after my experience with my shitty FM2+ motherboard, and 7850K, I've decided to upgrade.

Just ordered a 4770K and Maximus VI Gene. Hopefully I can sell the old parts :/
You might find a buyer here. Make a great htpc.

I'd be interested but just bought an Apu recently.

Budget isn't a concern for me, but I don't want to pay more if it isn't worth it. Like I said I will mainly be using at a HTPC (BRs/streaming) and Gaming.

I can get the i7 4770K for $250 or the i5 4670K for $180. Which would be the better deal?

Thanks for the help

The i5 will work perfectly, the only reason to go with a i7 is if you plan on doing any cpu and data intensive processing (or high end emulators such as Dolphin or PCSX2) Both are really great processors tho

I'm having some trouble with V-sync, specifically in Titanfall. I have a GTX 770 and a 60Hz monitor. I'm trying to turn off Titanfall's built-in V-sync and use adaptive in the Nvidia Control Panel, but I'm still getting tearing like crazy in the game. FRAPS is reporting that my framerate is a solid 60 and never drops below that.

Thoughts?

Dave_6

I'm having some trouble with V-sync, specifically in Titanfall. I have a GTX 770 and a 60Hz monitor. I'm trying to turn off Titanfall's built-in V-sync and use adaptive in the Nvidia Control Panel, but I'm still getting tearing like crazy in the game. FRAPS is reporting that my framerate is a solid 60 and never drops below that.

Thoughts?

I think it's an issue with the beta. I'm trying the same thing with my 7970 and RadeonPro but it isn't working either.

I'm planning to upgrade to a i7 4770k, but I'm confused with all the mobo choices.
I won't necessarily buy either of these motherboards, but I was curious about the "gaming motherboards." which are often the same price as similar non-gaming types.

For example:
GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z5S: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128681
GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-D3H: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128591

G1 Sniper Z5S is marketed as a gaming motherboard with an "OP-AMP" for improved sound. It's made to be more aesthetically pleasing (if you like green) and has a green LED light path on it. Does anything really make this mobo better for gaming, or is it all just marketing tactics? Would the similarly priced GA-Z87X-D3H have any advantages over the G1 Sniper Z5S?

mkenyon

Banned
I'm planning to upgrade to a i7 4770k, but I'm confused with all the mobo choices.
I won't necessarily buy either of these motherboards, but I was curious about the "gaming motherboards." which are often the same price as similar non-gaming types.

For example:
GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z5S: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128681
GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-D3H: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128591

G1 Sniper Z5S is marketed as a gaming motherboard with an "OP-AMP" for improved sound. It's made to be more aesthetically pleasing (if you like green) and has a green LED light path on it. Does anything really make this mobo better for gaming, or is it all just marketing tactics? Would the similarly priced GA-Z87X-D3H have any advantages over the G1 Sniper Z5S?
It has a really nice onboard audio processor that allows for virtualized 5.1 surround, which is something people often pay $30-100 for by itself. It also has a Killer NIC, Debug LED, and on board buttons. They're worth it to folks who find value in those sorts of things, but it's subjective.

M3z_

I was holding out for a non-ref Radeon R9 290, then the price hike happened. Atm, I have an old Geforce 450 GTS in my i7 4770k build. I've been holding out for prices to stabilize, but I'm not seeing anything changing for awhile. I might just buy a Geforce GTX 760 and call it a day.

Why go from the $400 AMD bracket to the $250 Nvidia bracket?

It has a really nice onboard audio processor that allows for virtualized 5.1 surround, which is something people often pay $30-100 for by itself. It also has a Killer NIC, Debug LED, and on board buttons. They're worth it to folks who find value in those sorts of things, but it's subjective.
Thanks for your help! ;)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Thoughts?
TitanFall issue.

Needs to be running fullscreen, nVidia vsync off, use TF's vsync in game. That's what I heard anyway.
anyone knows a good tutorial how to install new GPU drivers correctly (how to completely remove old drivers etc.)?
Just install over if it's the same stuff.
Uninstall + CCleaner + Delete old install folder if you don't like just overinstalling.

Right! I'm trying to sort my PC out to run titanfall. I decided that unless a game comes out that requires me to completely upgrade I'm going to stick mostly with what I have.

Titanfall runs "ok". I can run it on 1080p low settings to get a decent framerate but instead I stuck it on 720p and turned settings to medium/high and get 60fps. My goal is to run titanfall at 1080p 60fps and medium/high settings.

Can I achieve this with just a graphics card upgrade to gtx 700 series? My specs are the following.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @ 2.66GHz

RAM: 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 398MHz (5-5-5-15)

Motherboard: Foxconn G31MX Series (Socket 775)

Graphics: 1023MB GeForce GTX 460

Chakvr2

Neo Member
So I've downsized my system to an ITX one (as I move around a lot) in a Fractal node 304 and have been getting strange motherboard temp readings in HW monitor.

I have a Asus z87i-pro (I think it's the deluxe in the US?) and the motherboard readings in HW monitor range from 99 to 115 Celsius while running a 4670k at stock settings.

I know the node 304 doesn't have the best airflow but surely it shouldn't be running this hot as it would probably shut down if it did? Does anyone know of any other programs I can use to read this temp? (AI suite 3 and bios don't report it).

I want to just dismiss it as a faulty reading (everything seems to be working fine if I overclock and stress test with AIDA64) but the VRMs on the board do get rather hot if I put my hand near them. Does this happen with the impact also?

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I can still return it to scan.co.uk (still under 30 days) but wanted to know if this was a common problem with this board.

n0tail

Banned
I have a dilemma I was hoping some kind soul could help me with.

I currently have a four-year old computer running an Intel Core i7 930 @ 3800 Mhz together with Triple Channel 6 GB DDR 1600 Mhz memory on an PNY GTX 580 which at time cost like $499, Asus P6T SE Motherboard and a PSU of 650W.

As you've figured out, games are now way ahead of me. It began with Battlefield 4, I had to settle for "High" settings instead of Ultra. Even worse with Titanfall. And that's no longer OK with me.

Since my financials are extremely tight right now, I was wondering if it would be possible for me to just buy an GTX 780 / GTX 780 Ti (instead of everything new) and enjoy maxed out games for another 3-4 years without swapping any other parts. Or will my old RAM/CPU bottleneck the heck out of that GTX 780/Ti and make it useless?

Would really appreciate input on this. Thanks.

Ty4on

If things keep up, $500 265s, $2000 290Xs.

Gross.

The 750ti actually looks like a decent miner considering its power consumption so Maxwell might even things out :p
An overclocked 7870 seems to push 450, but it varies and my blower would seemingly only do 300 before it got unstable.

Pricing is still normal here. In rising order: 290 - 780 - 290X - 780ti.

Ty4on

Right! I'm trying to sort my PC out to run titanfall. I decided that unless a game comes out that requires me to completely upgrade I'm going to stick mostly with what I have.

Titanfall runs "ok". I can run it on 1080p low settings to get a decent framerate but instead I stuck it on 720p and turned settings to medium/high and get 60fps. My goal is to run titanfall at 1080p 60fps and medium/high settings.

Can I achieve this with just a graphics card upgrade to gtx 700 series? My specs are the following.
I think you should if the game otherwise runs fine at 720p. Higher resolutions should only stress the GPU. If possible you could try to run the game at med/high at a very low resolution to see how much of a bottleneck the rest of the system is.

Edit: Totally forgot that I had just posted T_T

Edit2:
So I've downsized my system to an ITX one (as I move around a lot) in a Fractal node 304 and have been getting strange motherboard temp readings in HW monitor.

I have a Asus z87i-pro (I think it's the deluxe in the US?) and the motherboard readings in HW monitor range from 99 to 115 Celsius while running a 4670k at stock settings.
Bizarre... Dunno if it's Haswell. I have an Asrock Z77 ITX (6 phase VRM) in an FT03-m with a H60 so the closest fan is the PSU fan, but it never really gets hot. I started Prime 95 and temps have slowly climbed from 43 to 47. Check the temp with a thermometer because even a "chilly" 53C can cause burns.

GHG

Is an antec 750w PSU enough for 2 4GB 770's in SLI?

Its 80+ rated, only about a year and a half old and has been powering 2 660's in SLI.

I should be ok right?

Ty4on

Edit: ^^^^ You'd want reference cards for water block compatibility though.

Any reason to go reference over a non-reference video cards?

Blowers will work in almost any case while open coolers can end up circulating a lot of hot air. Smaller cases with a lot of intakes perform well with them which makes the relatively quiet Titan cooler great for SFF. For most cases (both meanings :p) you're better off with a non reference as they're cooler and more quiet. AMD also has reference coolers so crappy that some cards lack a reference cooler.
Only if you want to use your PC as an alternative to a space heater or like the sound of powertools.

With a little tweaking mine is more quiet than my PSU while mining. A non reference cooler will just spread out the same heat and having a handwarmer is great during the winter :p

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @ 2.66GHz

RAM: 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 398MHz (5-5-5-15)

Motherboard: Foxconn G31MX Series (Socket 775)

Graphics: 1023MB GeForce GTX 460

Getting a better GPU will definitely help. If I was on low budget, I'd get 750ti or r7 265. If that doesn't work out, it'd be a good time to upgrade your computer.

Chakvr2

Neo Member
Bizarre... Dunno if it's Haswell. I have an Asrock Z77 ITX (6 phase VRM) in an FT03-m with a H60 so the closest fan is the PSU fan, but it never really gets hot. I started Prime 95 and temps have slowly climbed from 43 to 47. Check the temp with a thermometer because even a "chilly" 53C can cause burns.

IIRC when I had it in my UD4H, the temps were fine so I don't think it's Haswell.

Running Prime 95 gets me to about 60 celsius after about 20 min at most (averages in the mid 50s). The daughter board with the VRMs and the south bridge (might be north bridge on this board, not sure as there is only one) does get very hot when my hand is near it but I wouldn't think it was 100+ celsius.

Oh I guess I should mention as well, I put the CPU voltage on manual to 1.16v just so I can see if that was the cause but the high temps continued. I'll check with a thermometer when I get home but would it be worth trying to disable the LLC as well? On this board it goes from Auto to level 8, I guess I could try setting it to level 1.

Starting to regret this downsizing project of mine :(

Getting a better GPU will definitely help. If I was on low budget, I'd get 750ti or r7 265. If that doesn't work out, it'd be a good time to upgrade your computer.

Cool its just really a money situation this year. Titanfall is the only game i really want to be running that well on pc this year as I can get most other games on my ps4.

If I can just make it through till next year then I can spend some real money on a new pc!

I'll be gutted if i grab a new card and it cant do 60fps 1080p with titanfall :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom