• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

KTT

What are the differences between the UD3H and the UD4H? I'll be using a 4670K and I plan on overclocking (either right away or down the road).

The UD4H is $160 while the UD3H is $140. I'll be doing the MicroCenter bundle, so it'll also knock $30 off the total between the CPU and mobo.

What would you guys recommend I go with?

mkenyon

Banned
Was that a response to my question? So keep it in single performance mode then?
Yep.
What are the differences between the UD3H and the UD4H? I'll be using a 4670K and I plan on overclocking (either right away or down the road).

The UD4H is $160 while the UD3H is $140. I'll be doing the MicroCenter bundle, so it'll also knock $30 off the total between the CPU and mobo.

The colors, mostly.

jms493

Neo Member

There is a lot of extra features on the UD4H. Will you use them???

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...S&percm=13-128-592:$$$$$$$;13-128-617:$$$$$$$

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2VyGd
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2VyGd/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2VyGd/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.20 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£133.05 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£92.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (£253.00 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor (£269.09 @ Scan.co.uk)
Other: Crucial BLT2CP4G3D1869DT1TX0CEU Tactical 8GB Kit (4GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3-1866 PC3-14900 Memory Module (£59.99)
Total: £995.30
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-18 20:38 GMT+0000)

Going to order soon, anything else anyone can recommend or would change?

mkenyon

Banned
Which one of these GTX 780 models should I be looking at?

http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=8
You'd be better off buying used. They'll still have a 3 year warranty.
*edit*

But I really like the 780 Classified. If you want to spend less, just get the cheapest with an ACX cooler.
PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2VyGd
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2VyGd/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2VyGd/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.20 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£133.05 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£92.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (£253.00 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor (£269.09 @ Scan.co.uk)
Other: Crucial BLT2CP4G3D1869DT1TX0CEU Tactical 8GB Kit (4GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3-1866 PC3-14900 Memory Module (£59.99)
Total: £995.30
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-18 20:38 GMT+0000)

Going to order soon, anything else anyone can recommend or would change?
Case? PSU?

You'd be better off buying used. They'll still have a 3 year warranty.
*edit*

But I really like the 780 Classified. If you want to spend less, just get the cheapest with an ACX cooler.

Case? PSU?

I mean.. even if I buy brand new, which evga 780 model should I be looking at? I have 3 different models in my pcpartpicker profile. Just trying to figure out the differences.

*edit: I just saw that you edited and answered me lol. Thanks

mkenyon

Banned
My favorite: 780 Classified

However, if that premium is a bit too much, then just get the cheapest model you can with an ACX cooler.

*edit*

I SAW UR EDIT THAT SAW MY EDIT SO EDIT

\m/

SummitAve

Banned
Anyone have experience with wireless logitech mice? I recently got an Anywhere MX and its works great, but every few minutes the mouse will freeze (I'm assuming it's losing connection) for a few seconds and then start working again. My computer is just across the room so no more than 6-8 feet away, and replicating this problem in order to find the source has been difficult. I'm using the USB extender thing that came with the mouse, and have tried various USB ports, but they all result in the same problem. At this point I'm not sure if it's an issue with the drivers/set point or if there is interference coming from wifi or other devices. Any help would be much appreciated, I've done some googling and it seems a lot of people have had this problem, but there's been no solid answer for fixing it.

Upgrading to a new itx HTPC/Game machine

New Parts

CPU- i7 4770k
Mobo- ASRock Z87E
Ram- Crucial Ballstix Elite 16GB DDR3-1600
PSU- Seasonic G series 550W
Case- Corsair Obsidian 250D

Old Parts

GPU- EvGa 560Ti (old gpu)
HD- SSD 120g

Thoughts? Is the PSU strong enough at 550W? I will never SLI. I have a small 1 bedroom apt so I am aiming for a quiet, small machine

mkenyon

Banned
What mousepad? I have a QcK but it's wearing out.
I stand by the ones in the OP. I personally use the Artisan Shiden XL, but it's very pricey.
Upgrading to a new itx HTPC/Game machine

New Parts

CPU- i7 4770k
Mobo- ASRock Z87E
Ram- Crucial Ballstix Elite 16GB DDR3-1600
PSU- Seasonic G series 550W
Case- Corsair Obsidian 250D

Old Parts

GPU- EvGa 560Ti (old gpu)
HD- SSD 120g

Thoughts? Is the PSU strong enough at 550W? I will never SLI. I have a small 1 bedroom apt so I am aiming for a quiet, small machine
Looks great. Might be overspending on the 4770K if it's just for games.

garath

Yeah just came out a few months ago.

Sensei is still amazing, the Rival is just a bit nicer. I was at Fry's a week ago, and saw one on sale for $40.00. Couldn't pass it up, despite already having a Sensei.

Ah, at least I didn't miss out on it when I was buying my Sensei. Had it over a year and a half now and still love it. Replaced my venerable mx518 and haven't looked back.

W Hudson

Well the rest of my parts are arriving tomorrow and will be putting my first gaming PC together this weekend. Got a i5 4670k and a GTX 780, among others. I do have a question about controller support on the PC. Do most all games have some type of controller support these days? For instance, I bought Witcher 1 and 2 yesterday on Steam when they were discounted and was wondering if I can use a controller or are they mouse/keyboard only? Also, should I get a wired 360 controller or will my Dualshock 4 do the trick?

I think it's about time I upgraded my GTX 275, it's served me well so far, but I don't really game that much and it's mainly a bit too loud to be honest. I'm honestly fine playing on low-ish (high where it matters) and can still get to 60FPS if I really want it... but it's loud, not energy efficient, and I can get much more with less if I spend a little bit.

Now as I said, I don't really play that much anymore. When I do, it's mostly MP shooters, CS:GO for recreational purposes, Quake Wars every now and then (heh), but even then I mostly just go for lego/low settings anyway. Though I am interested in getting into DayZ at some point, and I want a card that can serve me through a generation of console ports, and I do like pretty graphics, just not online. Extraction/Dirty Bomb is also something I'm sort of looking forward to. Just don't have that much time to spend.

The Maxwell review thread got my attention, I really like the idea of a low power, quiet card that can get to 60FPS on most modern games with medium-ish settings. From what I understand it would cut my current power consumption to 1/3, and I like that. And the price is about right for what I can spend given how little I actually play nowadays. Would now be a good time to jump in on that?

At the same time, I have no idea what's going on with Mantle and whatnot, or what's up ahead in the lineup. The r9 270 isn't looking too shabby, what's the deal here?

I also kind of, sort of, like the idea of using my 275 as a PhysX card (is that even still a thing?), hehe, though I don't think that would let me get away from the noise it makes? Honestly, I'd really only be interested in playing Cryostasis with it on.

It wouldn't be that difficult for me to jump up to the GTX760 price range either. Though the noise and power usage puts me off.

So, given that long-winded, rambling series of questions, any suggestions?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Not sure if this has been posted, but Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB RAM is crazy cheap right now.
$60 for 8GB, can order online.

Micro Center

Granadier

My brother is building his first computer and decided to go with a 760.
What would your recommendation be between the Gigabyte WF and the MSI TwinF?

Giga is $250, MSI is $240.

The power/heat/noise graphs show them neck and neck with MSI fan speed being significantly lower, but that doesn't necessarily translate to how they are in person.

Granadier

MSI cause $10.

The TDP on the 760 is low enough that all of the big name coolers do great with it.

Cool, thanks.

This is the parts list he's got made up. Is there anything that should be changed before he places the order?
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $804.93
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-18 17:07 EST-0500)

kennah

Same here.

I had to cross a border to do it too!

Attempting to sell some of the junk and computer clutter I have around the house. Hopefully going to get enough for the mess to purchase a Fractal Node 304 and a hard drive or two.

Wish I could find a good home for my AOpen HX08. Bought it brand new a decade ago. But is so far from modern now that it's kinda hard to use. Alas.

Granadier

I'd really suggest swapping out that PSU for something in the OP, or grab that Corsair RM650 deal posted above.

The RM550 is $90 in the US right now. Not sure where the $60 figure on that post is from.

I will recommend he swaps it out with something from the OP though.
Do Corsair PSU's have a reputation for being crummy?

mkenyon

Banned
The RM550 is $90 in the US right now. Not sure where the $60 figure on that post is from.

I will recommend he swaps it out with something from the OP though.
Do Corsair PSU's have a reputation for being crummy?
*edit* reading fail

It'll have that deal at 6pm EST, which is in like 10 mins.

Corsair PSUs are both good and bad. The different series use different OEMs. The CX series in particular is crummy.

*edit 2*

The deal is accessible through the "Shellshocker" thingie on the front page.

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=ShellShocker-_-17-139-053-_-02182014_4

Granadier

*edit* reading fail

It'll have that deal at 6pm EST, which is in like 10 mins.

Corsair PSUs are both good and bad. The different series use different OEMs. The CX series in particular is crummy.

Yep that was my bad. I didn't see the time frame on that deal.
I'll let him know to go with the RM550.
Thanks for the advice, and the tip about Corsair OEMS.

Edit:
That deal is so good I might have to purchase one for myself for my future build....

mkenyon

Banned
Yep that was my bad. I didn't see the time frame on that deal.
I'll let him know to go with the RM550.
Thanks for the advice, and the tip about Corsair OEMS.

Edit:
That deal is so good I might have to purchase one for myself for my future build....
Shoot, to be clear, I said reading fail because my original post didn't take into account your actual words, I assumed you missed his post. I mean't reading fail for me!

Just hate coming off as unhelpful and snide, making sure that wasn't the case here :)

Matchew

Is the GeForce GTX 750 Ti a good deal to get for a stop gap? Currently the card I'm using is the 5700 series. I want to build a whole new computer, but that is still about a year away and I'm noticing some slow down with some games and I think I need to buy a cheap card for a good upgrade from the 5700.

Would the 750 Ti be the card to get?

Arsin

I am looking at buying a new HDD and I was wondering if the drives that are above 2TB are still unstable. I remember reading that in this thread and I am not sure if that is still the case.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already.

Granadier

Shoot, to be clear, I said reading fail because my original post didn't take into account your actual words, I assumed you missed his post. I mean't reading fail for me!

Just hate coming off as unhelpful and snide, making sure that wasn't the case here :)

It's all good. It got the correct point across.
Your work in this thread with advice and recommendations is beyond helpful, so no worries!

mkenyon

Banned
Is the GeForce GTX 750 Ti a good deal to get for a stop gap? Currently the card I'm using is the 5700 series. I want to build a whole new computer, but that is still about a year away and I'm noticing some slow down with some games and I think I need to buy a cheap card for a good upgrade from the 5700.

I'd say the R7 265 probably.

kharma45

Power supply heads up.

Newegg is having a flash sale on this PSU at 6pm est.

CORSAIR RM Series RM550
*Fully Modular
*80 PLUS Gold
*Japanese Capacitors
*5 year warranty

$59.99 AR

It's a fairly good buy at this money. It has some Japanese capacitors in it but also Taiwanese ones from Teapo (which are fine) as well as Capxon ones which are renowned for being poor. CWT quality control can also be questioned in this unit http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=363

Still, 5 year warranty should mean Corsair has some faith in the unit and at $60 I'd probably buy it myself. That or the Rosewill at $65 which has been around a bit longer.

I'd say the R7 265 probably.

Yeah 265 is better if the price doesn't spike. It uses more power, 40w or so, but the performance trade off is worth it when you're at the lower end of the GPU market.

Granadier

Cool, thanks for the answers. I got this one from amazon.

The R7 265 is actually a different card from what you ordered. It will have superior performance to the 260X for about $10 more.
If I were you I would cancel that order and wait for the 265 to release in the next few weeks.

Dat Nvidia bang for buck.

Prices are normal here lol

Start shipping crates of GPU's stateside and make some side cash.

Water

I think the 750 Ti would be a fine stopgap card especially since it's so low power. After you do upgrade your main computer, you won't want a big and hot card left over, whereas the 750 Ti will be perfect for a media PC, a lightweight LAN box, a computer for a random relative or something else.

jfoul

If things keep up, $500 265s, $2000 290Xs.

Gross.

I was holding out for a non-ref Radeon R9 290, then the price hike happened. Atm, I have an old Geforce 450 GTS in my i7 4770k build. I've been holding out for prices to stabilize, but I'm not seeing anything changing for awhile. I might just buy a Geforce GTX 760 and call it a day.

kharma45

I was holding out for a non-ref Radeon R9 290, then the price hike happened. Atm, I have an old Geforce 450 GTS in my i7 4770k build. I've been holding out for prices to stabilize, but I'm not seeing anything changing for awhile. I might just buy a Geforce GTX 760 and call it a day.

It's what I would do. If you're in the US it's best to forget about most AMD GPUs.

jfoul

It's what I would do. If you're in the US it's best to forget about most AMD GPUs.

It just burns my ass that because of the AMD price hikes, NV can just sit on it's current prices and it seems like a deal. The market is so stagnant right now, it's sickening.

mkenyon

Banned
I was all stoked to get a 290x and this:

kryographics_r9_290x_2.jpg

The relief of the Hawaiian islands is just too good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom