• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert7lee

Neo Member
Are your temperatures sensible? The GPU has a temp target and it will throttle itself if the threshold is reached.

I use msi to increase the fan speed, try to keep it the temp under 60 c

I have yet to notice a correlation between performance and gpu / cpu temperature.

I'm pretty sure mine has 2 3.5" ports underneath the 5.25" ones unlike the picture below, I'll take a picture of my case.

That picture looks like a normal r4 with no 3.5" bays.

The top two bays are 5.25 bays. You'll know you have a 3.5 bay if you have a slot in front of your case that occupies about half the surface area of a typical dvd drive. Or like one of the posts from before, I think you can get a 3.5 drivebay bracket for fractal cases or a 5.25" sized card readers. You can't go wrong either way imo.

Subscribed cause it seems like there's plenty of useful stuff here. New to building stuff so if I ask stupid questions I'll apologize in advance, just want to either upgrade what I've got or just go all new. But since I have no idea what I'm doing I figure starting from scratch might be smart.

Pachimari

Just checked my R4 case and it does look like the picture above.

But it seems like there'll only be room for 2 ports, so I guess I can eventually go with the Blu-ray drive/writer and the card reader.

So I have found this 5.25" card reader instead which also comes with 6 USB slots:
Akasa InterConnect Pro

tcvCBND.jpg

I really love all of your help in here as I'm very dependent on it after having bought all of these components. :)

Zabojnik

Guys, I'm looking into powerline, just a simple adapter to adapter bridge for now. I'm thinking Linksys PLEK500. Is there anything better / cheaper out there?

BIGWORM

Alright PC-gaf, after my house burning down, taking my computer with it, I got another off of CL for $850. Parts:

AMD FX-8320
Corsair H80 Liquid CPU Cooler
MSI 970A-G46 AM3+
8GB G. Skill DDR3
Evga GTX 680 2GB GDDR5
50GB Samsung SSD
Another 1.5TB over 3 HDDs
NZXT Phantom 410
550W Coolermaster PSU
Razer Black Widow Stealth Mechanical Keyboard
Razer DeathAdder
Viewsonic VX2835 28" LCD

Should I look to replace something? Maybe the motherboard?

Alright PC-gaf, after my house burning down, taking my computer with it, I got another off of CL for $850. Parts:

AMD FX-8320
Corsair H80 Liquid CPU Cooler
MSI 970A-G46 AM3+
8GB G. Skill DDR3
Evga GTX 680 2GB GDDR5
50GB Samsung SSD
Another 1.5TB over 3 HDDs
NZXT Phantom 410
550W Coolermaster PSU
Razer Black Widow Stealth Mechanical Keyboard
Razer DeathAdder
Viewsonic VX2835 28" LCD

Should I look to replace something? Maybe the motherboard?

I wouldn't change a thing. You got a surprisingly good deal assuming everything works as intended. At worst I would consider an aftermarket heatsink and a new PSU since those AMD 8-Core CPU's gobble power.

Seanspeed

Banned
Guys, I'm looking into powerline, just a simple adapter to adapter bridge for now. I'm thinking Linksys PLEK500. Is there anything better / cheaper out there?
There's certainly many cheaper options than that. I've got a pretty inexpensive pair of 200MB/s TP-Link adapters that are more than good enough for me. My internet connection is 60MB/s and I'm getting the exact same speeds(55-57MB/s) with my adapters in my room as I do connected straight into the router.

If you just need something simple, that Linksys setup is probably overkill.

Water

It's going to be annoying if the high-end Maxwell parts only come out towards the end of the year, because I'd prefer to build around beginning of summer. 780 performance would be quite enough for me, but I don't want to forgo the possible new features of Maxwell (especially if it gets significant CUDA stuff), nor to pay full price for the current generation parts when there's only a few months to go.

On the mobo/CPU side of things, Z97 chipset being available in time would be great since - if I understand correctly - it will be forward compatible with Broadwell, whereas there is never going to be an upgrade path beyond 4770k on Z87.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I thought the next generation of processors would work on the same socket (lga 1150), but do they not work with z87?

Water

I thought the next generation of processors would work on the same socket (lga 1150), but do they not work with z87?
I'm a bit confused by random rumors, and can't find anything really definitive, but it looks like the Spring/Summer Haswell refresh should work on most Z87 boards given a firmware upgrade. On the other hand, the refresh is just a refresh, probably not going to be that much faster than the current CPUs. Broadwell-K should show up towards end of the year and needs Z97.

kennah

I wouldn't change a thing. You got a surprisingly good deal assuming everything works as intended. At worst I would consider an aftermarket heatsink and a new PSU since those AMD 8-Core CPU's gobble power.
The H80 is a fantastic aftermarket heat sink ...
Hey guys, is there an American equivalent to NCIX.com's PC builder?

Basically you order the parts, and for an extra fee they build it for you.
Ncix is American.

There are also Gaffers that would do it too.

Saty

From DF's 750 ti review: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-nvidia-geforce-gtx-750-ti-review

So what does Maxwell bring to the table? Remarkably, Nvidia claims to have doubled performance per watt compared to its previous Kepler technology, thanks to a combination of factors where a new CUDA core configuration and a massive boost in L2 memory cache (2MB vs. 256K) appear to provide the most tangible benefits. The big news here is that Nvidia has achieved this without moving to a new fabrication node - just like Kepler, Maxwell is a 28nm chip. It's usually the case that new GPU technologies are rolled out alongside new manufacturing technologies, but the new 20nm process still isn't ready for show-time. Indeed, Nvidia has indicated to us that we won't see any 20nm cards this year, but that's OK - Maxwell isn't just about improved performance per watt, it's about getting more processing power from a smaller area of die-space too.

KTT

I'm very sorry if I'm asking the wrong questions in here but I'm very new to computer components and building\

Not talking about the type of questions you're asking. Just the repeatedness and seeming lack of an attempt to look things up and understand them, rather than just be told the answer. To each his own, though. And if it doesn't bother the regulars, I guess it shouldn't bother me. I just lurk. And most people probably don't notice unless they're reading 50-100 posts at a time like me :p

So my newly built PC randomly restarts in the middle of playing Titanfall. I played the tutorial and 3 rounds last Friday night with no issue. Saturday I joined a game and it restarted within a few minutes. After it rebooted I played 2 matches and it rebooted in the middle of the 3rd. I ran RealTemp while playing TitanFall. Hottest my CPU got was 54C. My GPU was around 70ish. Anyone have any ideas?

Update: Last night I tried using just one stick of my memory, it restarted after a few matches. Next I tried using slots 2/4 (I had my memory in slots 1/3), it restarted after five or so matches. I then tried using different memory that I know has no issues (2x 4GB of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314)... it worked for 8 or 9 matches and I thought I had figured it out... but nope, restarted. CPU/GPU temps were about the same as I posted last time (Above). When it restarts its just in the middle of playing, screen goes black, power button LED goes off and then its rebooting. The only thing I see in the event log when this happens is:

The process Explorer.EXE has initiated the shutdown of computer JASON on behalf of user Jason\Jason for the following reason: Other (Planned)
Reason Code: 0x80000000
Shutdown Type: shutdown
Comment:

The process C:\Windows\system32\winlogon.exe (JASON) has initiated the shutdown of computer JASON on behalf of user Jason\Jason for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
Reason Code: 0x500ff
Comment:

Guess the next step is to try a new PSU. If anyone has any advice or suggestions I would appreciate it.

riflen

So my newly built PC randomly restarts in the middle of playing Titanfall. I played the tutorial and 3 rounds last Friday night with no issue. Saturday I joined a game and it restarted within a few minutes. After it rebooted I played 2 matches and it rebooted in the middle of the 3rd. I ran RealTemp while playing TitanFall. Hottest my CPU got was 54C. My GPU was around 70ish. Anyone have any ideas?

Update: Last night I tried using just one stick of my memory, it restarted after a few matches. Next I tried using slots 2/4 (I had my memory in slots 1/3), it restarted after five or so matches. I then tried using different memory that I know has no issues (2x 4GB of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314)... it worked for 8 or 9 matches and I thought I had figured it out... but nope, restarted. CPU/GPU temps were about the same as I posted last time (Above). When it restarts its just in the middle of playing, screen goes black, power button LED goes off and then its rebooting. The only thing I see in the event log when this happens is:

The process Explorer.EXE has initiated the shutdown of computer JASON on behalf of user Jason\Jason for the following reason: Other (Planned)
Reason Code: 0x80000000
Comment:

The process C:\Windows\system32\winlogon.exe (JASON) has initiated the shutdown of computer JASON on behalf of user Jason\Jason for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
Reason Code: 0x500ff
Comment:

Guess the next step is to try a new PSU. If anyone has any advice or suggestions I would appreciate it.

This is pretty odd, because those event messages state the OS is gracefully shutting down, rather than faulting. Have you considered performing a complete system scan using Malwarebytes?

This is pretty odd, because those event messages state the OS is gracefully shutting down, rather than faulting. Have you considered performing a complete system scan using Malwarebytes?

I guess I didn't consider doing this but I definitely will give it a shot tonight after work.

Zabojnik

There's certainly many cheaper options than that. I've got a pretty inexpensive pair of 200MB/s TP-Link adapters that are more than good enough for me. My internet connection is 60MB/s and I'm getting the exact same speeds(55-57MB/s) with my adapters in my room as I do connected straight into the router.

If you just need something simple, that Linksys setup is probably overkill.

Yeah, 200Mbps should be more than enough for my needs. Thanks.

I was looking at what TP-Link have to offer and I had another idea, but I'm not sure what I would need. Say I wanted to take the wi-fi signal from a wireless router in one room and transfer it to another room via powerline, then have the powerline adapter in that second room broadcast the wi-fi signal to any wireless devices. Would two of these bad boys do it?

thespot84

My Razer Naga mouse is flaking out on me, and I'm looking for a replacement. Doesn't necessarily have to be an MMO mouse. Any suggestions?

I'm hoping for under $100 and only want wired. I've heard SteelSeries makes a good mouse. Anyone here have any experience with their products.

do you palm or claw?
pV2cptk.png

Branson

So is that hyper evo CPU fan enough for a good overclock? I'm planning on getting it soon. I just wouldn't know what to stop at ghz wise with that cooler. The op link to overclocking a 2500k is down.

Arkanius

Just bought my 280X. So satisfied (upgrade from a 275 GTX)
But I never had an ATi card in the past, so I'm quite a newbie around the ATi driver settings. What are the "must-do" tweaks in the control panel that one should activate? (There were a few on the Nvidia side, such as activating Negative LOD bias and etc)

mkenyon

Banned
ATi no longer exists :p

There aren't any options that are must haves unless you have specific requirements, or are a stickler for certain types of AA. I use RadeonPro to limit the framerate in games that would otherwise run at 200+fps, like Europa Universalis IV, as you can get a bit of coil whine when the card starts going crazy.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yeah, 200Mbps should be more than enough for my needs. Thanks.

I was looking at what TP-Link have to offer and I had another idea, but I'm not sure what I would need. Say I wanted to take the wi-fi signal from a wireless router in one room and transfer it to another room via powerline, then have the powerline adapter in that second room broadcast the wi-fi signal to any wireless devices. Would two of these bad boys do it?
Yea, there's Powerline models that basically serve as WiFi points as well. Super useful if you need internet connection for a phone, tablet or laptop.

Seriously, they're little miracle devices.

Arkanius

ATi no longer exists :p

There aren't any options that are must haves unless you have specific requirements, or are a stickler for certain types of AA. I use RadeonPro to limit the framerate in games that would otherwise run at 200+fps, like Europa Universalis IV, as you can get a bit of coil whine when the card starts going crazy.

I'm stuck in the old ways!
So there are no image quality settings that I can tweak?
Fair enough, install and forget.

P.S What is the Texture Filtering Quality and Surface Format Optimization?

Blueblur1

As someone who isn't very PC savvy, I'm looking at the 770 and 780 and want to know if the 780 is really worth it for the price. I looked at the benchmarks anandtech has and didn't see too big of a difference except in some cases. I'm still using a GTX 460 and really want to upgrade it soon.

kharma45

As someone who isn't very PC savvy, I'm looking at the 770 and 780 and want to know if the 780 is really worth it for the price. I looked at the benchmarks anandtech has and didn't see too big of a difference except in some cases. I'm still using a GTX 460 and really want to upgrade it soon.

It is. I don't really like the 770. Either go for a cheaper 760 or go the full hog and get the 780. As for the performance difference

It has 3GB of memory and much higher memory bandwidth, which gives it quite a bit of longevity in comparison. It's a Titan with a few compute clusters disabled that performs totally on par with one in games.

It's far from cheap though and it's not as if the 770 is bad by any means.

Guys just a quick (possible silly) question.

I may be able to get a GTX 770 for a little bit less than a 760 from a vendor that I know personally (new not used) but the thing is, from the Nvidia website it states that the card supports PCI Express 3.0 and my motherboard only supports 2.0, does this mean it won't work? Would it saturate the 2.0 bandwith?

I'm planning on upgrading the entire PC but just not right now and since my current graphics card is dying and this deal came out I'd like to take the chance to get a pretty decent card, even if for a couple of months the rest of the components bottleneck it.

I'll take this chance to ask about the CPU as well, for gaming performance would a i5 4670K be good, or would a FX-8350 be better in the long run (more future proof?)? They fall on the same price range.

LCGeek

formerly sane

I may be able to get a GTX 770 for a little bit less than a 760 from a vendor that I know personally but the thing is, from the Nvidia website it states that the card requires PCI Express 3.0 and my motherboard only supports 2.0, does this mean it won't work? Would it saturate the 2.0 bandwith?

That sounds odd considering what the 770 is. I thought when you did these situations the card just operates in the 2.0 spec.

To my knowledge and benchmarks I thought it was insane or hard to saturate the 2.0 bandwidth let alone PCIE 3.0 with a single card.

kharma45

I may be able to get a GTX 770 for a little bit less than a 760 from a vendor that I know personally (new not used) but the thing is, from the Nvidia website it states that the card supports PCI Express 3.0 and my motherboard only supports 2.0, does this mean it won't work? Would it saturate the 2.0 bandwith?

I'm planning on upgrading the entire PC but just not right now and since my current graphics card is dying and this deal came out I'd like to take the chance to get a pretty decent card, even if for a couple of months the rest of the components bottleneck it.

I'll take this chance to ask about the CPU as well, for gaming performance would a i5 4670K be good, or would a FX-8350 be better in the long run (more future proof?)? They fall on the same price range.

770 isn't fast enough for PCIe 3 to make a difference.

4670K unquestionably.

That sounds odd considering what the 770 is. I thought when you did these situations the card just operates in the 2.0 spec.

To my knowledge and benchmarks I thought it was insane or hard to saturate the 2.0 bandwidth let alone PCIE 3.0 with a single card.

770 isn't fast enough for PCIe 3 to make a difference.

4670K unquestionably.

Cheers, yea I figured but reading that on their webside kinda made me think. So there shouldn't be a problem connecting it to a PCIe 2.0, right?

Thanks again guys.

garath

The SteelSeries Rival is the most accurate and best mouse on the market. Zero interpolation, fantastic ergonomics.

Damn. Is that new? I think I might have opted for that over the sensei raw. Though I do love the Sensei Raw so no real regrets.

mkenyon

Banned
Damn. Is that new? I think I might have opted for that over the sensei raw. Though I do love the Sensei Raw so no real regrets.
Sensei is still amazing, the Rival is just a bit nicer. I was at Fry's a week ago, and saw one on sale for $40.00. Couldn't pass it up, despite already having a Sensei.

AJLma

The SteelSeries Rival is the most accurate and best mouse on the market. Zero interpolation, fantastic ergonomics.

I just got this mouse about a week ago, and I have to agree. Coming from a G500 this mouse is great.

It's been on sale occasionally too, I missed an amazon sale but got Bestbuy to price match Fry's and picked it up for $40.

Anyone familiar with the Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration option in the Nvidia Control Panel? I'm asking because I'm getting a second monitor soon. I will have two 1080p monitors, but I'll only be gaming on one. The other will be used to monitor OBS and chat. Should I have it set to multiple dispaly performance mode? Right now I have it set to single display performance mode since I only have one monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom