• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilferk

Neo Member

Chicks dig big boards?

Seriously, though...I just hate building with small, crowded boards. Tougher for me to work with, before and after putting them in the case. Nothing other than that, really.

And the potential for upgrade/expansion down the road. Granted, for this build...that might not be the biggest concern.

Edit: That single 6GB SATA channel hurts, too.

Aesthet1c

Can anyone help me with a second look at my 4670k overclock?

I'm able to hit 4.4ghz with the voltage at 1.20v.

I hit about 85c in prime95, and about 65c playing games.

I understand Haswell runs hot, and I figured these were pretty good results, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. I've also heard of varying vcore setting so it's not always at 1.2v, but only jumps that high when needed. I also only changed the core multiplier and the vcore setting, everything else is at default.

Any setting I maybe missed or I should check again? This is also on a Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H.

Pinkuss

I've decided my laptop isn't cutting it; it runs the games I want, mostly but gets too hot and shuts itself down every few hours. So I'm thinking now I've been promoted a new PC is in order; just something mid range-ish for around 500 quid. Anyone know of the best sites where I can customise parts etc and get them to build it? (I can build myself but I really can't be bothered and I'd rather just lay out the money for someone to do it for me). (UK).

I've seen dinopc but googling them gave lots of bad experiences..

mkenyon

Banned
Chicks dig big boards?

Seriously, though...I just hate building with small, crowded boards. Tougher for me to work with, before and after putting them in the case. Nothing other than that, really.

And the potential for upgrade/expansion down the road. Granted, for this build...that might not be the biggest concern.

Edit: That single 6GB SATA channel hurts, too.
It's not really crowded. ATX vs mATX is not the deal it once was. Really the only reason to go with ATX is if you plan on going SLI/Crossfire. Even then, it's not really necessary.

Do you plan to use more than one SSD? FWIW, I use an mSATA port on my Gigabyte Z77X-UP7 as the primary drive, and it's actually SATA 3GB. I can't really tell any difference between using that and my Haswell build which uses a Samsung Evo as the primary drive on the native 6GB connection.

I understand Haswell runs hot, and I figured these were pretty good results, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. I've also heard of varying vcore setting so it's not always at 1.2v, but only jumps that high when needed. I also only changed the core multiplier and the vcore setting, everything else is at default.

Any setting I maybe missed or I should check again? This is also on a Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H.
Looks good.

What you're referring to is "Offset". It's a bit trickier to use, and to be honest, I've never overclocked with it. But there should be a tutorial in Sin's overclocking guide.

pilferk

Neo Member
It's not really crowded. ATX vs mATX is not the deal it once was. Really the only reason to go with ATX is if you plan on going SLI/Crossfire. Even then, it's not really necessary.

Do you plan to use more than one SSD? FWIW, I use an mSATA port on my Gigabyte Z77X-UP7 as the primary drive, and it's actually SATA 3GB. I can't really tell any difference between using that and my Haswell build which uses a Samsung Evo as the primary drive on the native 6GB connection.

One HDD, one SSD, one optical. Would LIKE the HDD and SSD on 6gb channels. And like the airflow available with a little more space.

What about this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157304

I get my ATX board....but I think it will work with the newer processors without a flash (seems to indicate it will).

mkenyon

Banned
One HDD, one SSD, one optical. Would LIKE the HDD and SSD on 6gb channels. And like the airflow available with a little more space.

What about this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157304

I get my ATX board....but I think it will work with the newer processors without a flash (seems to indicate it will).
You'll see literally zero benefit from putting an HDD on SATA 3GB from SATA 1.5GB, let alone 6GB.

And the link is broken :(

emag

If I am trying to stay with a single 6 or 8 pin powered GPU should I get the GTX 660 or the R9 270?

I'd go with whatever's cheaper, honestly. They're pretty close in most aspects (although the 660 has PhysX support and the R9 270 has Mantle support).

Crisco

Banned
So while this isn't a gaming PC at all, I thought I'd share my plans for a "mini" NAS I'm thinking of building. Right now 4TB drives are probably a bit too pricey so I'll hold off until they drop a bit, but everything else is available to build a super fast, reliable, and small FreeNAS server with a metric fuck ton of storage. The hardest thing to find was a mini-ITX motherboard that supported ECC memory, Haswell, and had 5+ SATA3 ports. There is basically only one.

Silverstone PP05-E 0.98 ft. Flat Flexible Short Cable Set for SilverStone Modular PSUs
$29.99
Fractal Design Node 304 FD-CA-NODE-304-BL Black Aluminum / Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case
$89.99
ASRock E3C226D2I Mini ITX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 Intel C226 DDR3 1600/1333
$233.99
SILVERSTONE ST45SF-G 450W SFX12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply
$94.99
Intel Xeon E3-1275V3 Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 95W Quad-Core Server Processor
$349.99
2x Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ECC Unbuffered Server Memory w/TS Model KVR16E11/8
$199.98
Kingston DataTraveler Vault Privacy 3.0 8GB Anti-Virus USB 3.0 Flash Drive 256bit AES Encryption Model DTVP30AV/8GB
$32.99
6x WD Red WD40EFRX 4TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5
$1,127.94

Hey Guys,
Looking to order some parts to put together a new PC. I have been out of the game for a few years. Are there any cases that fit standard parts that are horizontal that would fit in an entertainment center shelf? No more than 6 inches tall. I have my TV wall mounted and a floating entertainment center. I got this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CM5Y44E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I was wondering if it would be easy to fit a PC in there, or if I would just need to stand it on top below the TV

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I've decided my laptop isn't cutting it; it runs the games I want, mostly but gets too hot and shuts itself down every few hours. So I'm thinking now I've been promoted a new PC is in order; just something mid range-ish for around 500 quid. Anyone know of the best sites where I can customise parts etc and get them to build it? (I can build myself but I really can't be bothered and I'd rather just lay out the money for someone to do it for me). (UK).

I've seen dinopc but googling them gave lots of bad experiences..
Build!

4.4 on 1.2 is great
Hey Guys,
Looking to order some parts to put together a new PC. I have been out of the game for a few years. Are there any cases that fit standard parts that are horizontal that would fit in an entertainment center shelf? No more than 6 inches tall. I have my TV wall mounted and a floating entertainment center. I got this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CM5Y44E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I was wondering if it would be easy to fit a PC in there, or if I would just need to stand it on top below the TV
Check some SFF cases like the Raven RVZ01

mkenyon

Banned
Hey Guys,

As Haz noted, Raven RVZ01. Check this out for more info: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95808604&postcount=3
Yeah, that's just fine. IIRC, Kharma has the same board.

Geneijin

A big thanks to kharma45 and everyone else for the PC help. I more or less followed your build kharma45 except the PSU. Wasted most of my President's Day weekend dismantling my old PC and assembling 2 PCs, but I'm so glad PCs are easy enough to build nowadays that it prevented me from damaging anything several times... Troubleshooting and running it the past few days. It's good. I still haven't OCed yet. I'll have to experiment another time when I have more time.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Wloh
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Wloh/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Wloh/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.24 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87W ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($98.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($94.96 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Purchased For $114.99)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card (Purchased For $189.99)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $99.99)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($65.98 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1058.12
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-19 18:10 EST-0500)

Purchased items were carried over from my old PC.

pilferk

Neo Member
I used to then swapped to the MSI G45 as the ASRock occasionally switched to integrated graphics and I had to change it back in the GPU and since it was Amazon I knew they'd take it back and give me a refund. Bar that it was fine for the price.

Hopefully mine will behave a little better... :)

My gaming PC and my work PC are the same rig, and I've been happy with its performance for a while, but after coming into a nice chunk of expendable income on my Tax Return, I'm ready to upgrade to some nicer bits.

One issue I had when living up north was that static electricity would constantly cause the system to shutdown/reboot. Luckily I'm back in Texas where I belong, and static is much less of an issue. Once in a while when I plug in a USB device it'll still power cycle. I assume this is a problem with the case/mobo?

My current build (and where I got each part from):
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Processor
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-880GM-D2H AMD 880G Motherboard
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2 GB DDR5
PSU: Power Up G54-8018 400W
Case: Raygo R12-40885
RAM: 4gigs DDR3 and 4gigs DDR3.

My main uses for my computer are gaming, using Photoshop, a tiny bit of video editing, streaming using an Avermedia card, and recording in Audacity. I'd like to be able to run Dolphin and PCSX2 using some ridiculously high settings, and while I can run Titanfall pretty damn well right now, I'd love to get 60+fps with max settings. Also downsampling would be rad.

Can I get some suggestions for what needs to be upgraded first? I've been considering an i7-4770K and a new Mobo, but would that give me a significant boost in performance over the Phenom II X6?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
My gaming PC and my work PC are the same rig, and I've been happy with its performance for a while, but after coming into a nice chunk of expendable income on my Tax Return, I'm ready to upgrade to some nicer bits.

One issue I had when living up north was that static electricity would constantly cause the system to shutdown/reboot. Luckily I'm back in Texas where I belong, and static is much less of an issue. Once in a while when I plug in a USB device it'll still power cycle. I assume this is a problem with the case/mobo?

My current build (and where I got each part from):
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Processor
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-880GM-D2H AMD 880G Motherboard
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2 GB DDR5
PSU: Power Up G54-8018 400W
Case: Raygo R12-40885

My main uses for my computer are gaming, using Photoshop, a tiny bit of video editing, streaming using an Avermedia card, and recording in Audacity. I'd like to be able to run Dolphin and PCSX2 using some ridiculously high settings, and while I can run Titanfall pretty damn well right now, I'd love to get 60+fps with max settings. Also downsampling would be rad.

Can I get some suggestions for what needs to be upgraded first? I've been considering an i7-4770K and a new Mobo, but would that give me a significant boost in performance over the Phenom II X6?
A 4670K will suffice since you have a streaming card already.
Yes it will, and OC even more. Intel (Has well) is fantastic for emulation.

And replace that PSU. Never heard of the brand, 1yr warranty, and more amps on 5V than 12V. Nonononono

Also, what are the true dimensions of the RVZ01B?
Amazon says 17 x 17 x 7 inches
while the official site says 382mm (W) x 105mm (H) x 350mm (D), 14 liters

is one internal dimensions, while amazon is external?

Hey guys, is the budget build in the OP somewhat future proof? I would like to upgrade it over time and eventually have it pretty high end. Right now I'm just looking for something that can run Titanfall at Xbox One quality, but in 1080p and a constant 60 FPS.

I'll go ahead and answer those build questions in the OP while I'm at it, maybe somebody can give me a little insight.

Budget: $500-600

Main Use: Gaming, basically ONLY gaming at this point. My current PC is used for nothing but browsing GAF and playing the occasional game that can run on it.

Monitor Resolution: 1080... Just bought a new monitor based on the OP and I'm happy with it.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Titanfall and Dark Souls 2, at a solid 60.

When will you build?: As soon as I can... But I would like to be ready to go by Titanfall's release.

Will you be overclocking?: I don't have a lot of experience overclocking, but maybe in the future when I can upgrade a few parts.

Thank you so much for your time and input!

mkenyon

Banned
The "Budget" or "Good" build?

If the latter, then yeah, it's very futureproof in terms of being able to upgrade it down the line. You'll want to swap out the 650Ti boost for the 750 Ti though.

Quick question: what's your guys recommendation on free antiviruses? seeing Microsoft already admitted they're worse than other AV's, i was thinking about installing one, but i'm not sure which.

EDIT: sorry if this could be considered the wrong thread, it's just that there no another PC help thread that i think i could ask this.

SEBvanj.jpg

Current upgrade. Seems like it'll be enough to do everything I want, but I have to get a full-sized ATX case, right? Not a midsized one?

The "Budget" or "Good" build?

If the latter, then yeah, it's very futureproof in terms of being able to upgrade it down the line. You'll want to swap out the 650Ti boost for the 750 Ti though.

Actually I would go with the "Good" build. Would that be able to run Titanfall at Xbox One quality... except with the bump to 1080p?

mkenyon

Banned
Actually I would go with the "Good" build. Would that be able to run Titanfall at Xbox One quality... except with the bump to 1080p?
There aren't any Titanfall benchmarks out yet, nor do we know what the specific xbone settings are. So, maybe, probably?
Current upgrade. Seems like it'll be enough to do everything I want, but I have to get a full-sized ATX case, right? Not a midsized one?
You can't get a micro-ATX (mATX) case, but you can get a mid tower. The stuff from the OP is what you'd want.

Quick question: what's your guys recommendation on free antiviruses? seeing Microsoft already admitted they're worse than other AV's, i was thinking about installing one, but i'm not sure which.

EDIT: sorry if this could be considered the wrong thread, it's just that there no another PC help thread that i think i could ask this.

I haven't used an anti-virus for five years. Let go, man. Let go and let the internet wash over you like a filthy wave.

So I'm deciding on trading my Corsair 400R case and getting the Air 540 case they have. My only problem is that I have four 3.5" HDDs that I use and the 540 only has the two in the windowed sectioned hot swap bays. I really wish the back drives weren't 2.5" cages, any one got a recommendation for housing drives? I am thinking about grabbing that StarTech BRACKET Metal 3.5" to 5.25" Drive Adapter Bracket if I go with this case but I also do have a DVD drive....maybe it is time to ditch the DVD drive....

There aren't any Titanfall benchmarks out yet, nor do we know what the specific xbone settings are. So, maybe, probably?

Ah, I was going by the beta performance.

Let me ask this then, what kind of settings/performance would I get out of Bioshock Infinite using the "Good" build?

Thanks again guys, you're the best.

knitoe

Avast seems to get the best ratings for free.
I haven't used an anti-virus for five years. Let go, man. Let go and let the internet wash over you like a filthy wave.
You can get virus and malware from anywhere, even from trust sites. GAF was affected at one point. Just curious, can you run Malwarebytes Anti-malware and post your results?

mkenyon

Banned

Let me ask this then, what kind of settings/performance would I get out of Bioshock Infinite using the "Good" build?

61442.png

61445.png

61433.png

750Ti is what you want to look at. Keep in mind that those are FPS charts, which aren't very accurate to begin with, and it's a different test system. It should give you a pretty good general idea though.

Ilive1up

hey, gaf. i'm about to build my first gaming PC (titanfall and dark souls 2 must be played on it!)

i want a pretty capable pc (money not really an issue).

so far i came up with this. any thoughts? recommendations?

5fvaa8Z.png

1prbpRs.png

So all my pc parts came in today besides the OS discs and I am wondering if there is any reason to wait to put the pieces together until the OS is here or am I ok to start piecing these together.

It is slightly overwhelming so far so I just don't want to do anything in the wrong order or whatever. As of this moment I have the motherboard laid out with the cpu in and trying to decide to tackle the hyper 212 evo fan or wait for the OS discs.

Hey Guys,

Thanks!

Just ordered all my pieces. I'll update once it's all put together...

Hopefully this can help a bit as we have a Club that I started on OCN this past week for the RVZ01. Mine should be coming tomorrow.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1466816/silverstone-raven-rvz01-ml07-owners-club/0_40

Water

With the 750 Ti for a GPU, you'd get nearly maximum settings and performance for a 1080p 60Hz display (without going into craziness like downsampling).

Going by the Anandtech benchmarks, the 750 Ti gives 60FPS average at Ultra settings. Someone prioritizing really smooth motion would sacrifice a bit of IQ to drop to High settings, get an average of 67FPS, and not see drops below 60FPS as often.

Would anyone know if a stock 2600 (non K) processor would bottleneck the shit out of say a gtx 770? Also are there any new motherboard requirements that I need to know about for compatibility with the newer cards?

My 590 just isn't cutting it anymore, plays every game terribly now. stutters galore. Had a phenomenal 3 year run though!

pilferk

Neo Member
So all my pc parts came in today besides the OS discs and I am wondering if there is any reason to wait to put the pieces together until the OS is here or am I ok to start piecing these together.

It is slightly overwhelming so far so I just don't want to do anything in the wrong order or whatever. As of this moment I have the motherboard laid out with the cpu in and trying to decide to tackle the hyper 212 evo fan or wait for the OS discs.

I've got a bunch of stuff coming for a friends build tomorrow...except the vid card, which is behind schedule..and no on board vid on the mb.

And I will be building as much as I can tomorrow and Friday...and then let it sit til the vid card shows.

You don't need the os to do everything else....I'd do it, if you have the time...as much as the wait for the is will kill ya. :)

Avast seems to get the best ratings for free.

You can get virus and malware from anywhere, even from trust sites. GAF was affected at one point. Just curious, can you run Malwarebytes Anti-malware and post your results?

Will do. Standby.

Here's the log:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2014.02.19.13

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.16518
lostsupper :: SAMANTHA [administrator]

2/19/2014 10:18:58 PM
mbam-log-2014-02-19 (22-18-58).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|)
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 412174
Time elapsed: 26 minute(s), 24 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 1
HKLM\Software\InstallIQ (PUP.Optional.InstallBrain.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom