• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexxism

I already asked this and just want to get more opinion on it. I'm planning to buy a GTX 760 with brands like MSI, Gigabyte or EVGA but I'm a little bit sensitive with noise. Among the three, which is the best when it comes to less noise? I think those 3 are pretty much the same performance wise.

Stubo

Around $50-$60. The price range is enough for me to replace my old busted case.
The 770 is the better card, it depends if you want to prioritise your case or if you'd be willing to replace that later for example.

I already asked this and just want to get more opinion on it. I'm planning to buy a GTX 760 with brands like MSI, Gigabyte or EVGA but I'm a little bit sensitive with noise. Among the three, which is the best when it comes to less noise? I think those 3 are pretty much the same performance wise.
Without looking at individual reviews I'd expect the EVGA ACX cooler to be slightly quieter than the Gigabyte Windforce, and both to be slightly quieter than the MSI card.

It's worth reading up on the specific 760 reviews to be super sure before you buy though.

mkenyon

Banned
They're all great. The 760 has such a low TDP that all of the coolers perform really similarly. There's maybe 1-2dB between the lot of them. EVGA uses the highest quality fans, so my nod goes to them.
Without looking at individual reviews I'd expect the EVGA ACX cooler to be slightly quieter than the Gigabyte Windforce, and both to be slightly quieter than the MSI card.

It's worth reading up on the specific 760 reviews to be super sure before you buy though.
Pretty close, Guru3D put the Windforce and MSI at 39dB load, and the EVGA at 40dB load. That's close enough to be within the margin of error for all three being the same. I'd imagine the Windforce does a little bit better with high TDP cards though.

Oxn

Should i get a 750ti?

Because my 6870 is suffering on a 1440p monitor. Can I expect at least 2 times the performance?
I get like 20 fps on assassin creed on big setting at that resolution

Is there a big diff between them two.
Other than the price lol

The 290 is slightly better clock for clock and you can make some cash on the side through crypto mining.
Though the 780 is probably the better card in general since it can overclock to be better than the 290, as well as having much lower power consumption and better cooling.

Should i get a 750ti?

Because my 6870 is suffering on a 1440p monitor. Can I expect at least 2 times the performance?

For 1440p you'd probably want a better card than the 750ti, unless you're ok with dialing down the settings.
I'd say a 760 or higher

mkenyon

Banned
Should i get a 750ti?

Nope. To get double the performance, you'd want to be looking at something like the 770.

Normally I'd suggest the 280X/7970, but the price is just ridiculous on it at the moment, unless you're in Europe.

The 6870 was a killer card with amazing performance.

Ra1den

Is it pretty common for a video card to not need a separate power supply connector? This visiontek eye 6 7750 does not seem to have one. The manual is useless, gives no model-specific advice.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Is it pretty common for a video card to not need a separate power supply connector? This visiontek eye 6 7750 does not seem to have one. The manual is useless, gives no model-specific advice.

It can be if it is low power usage.

mkenyon

Banned
The slot itself can put out 75W, so if the card is below that, then it's good to go.

Oxn

Nope. To get double the performance, you'd want to be looking at something like the 770.

Normally I'd suggest the 280X/7970, but the price is just ridiculous on it at the moment, unless you're in Europe.

The 6870 was a killer card with amazing performance.

Yes I had the 6870 for 2.5 years now. It served me well

Ra1den

Cool, not sure of the wattage on this thing, but I'd suspect its low power. And I checked for power connections really thoroughly.

My personal favorites are in the OP.

I had to cut a few since I was limited to 4, but I'd also put the N400 and Silverstone TJ08 in there if I could.

Oooo N400 interests me since it doesn't break my wallet
I was looking at the N200, is there a big difference between them? N400 worth the extra 10 bucks?

Lexxism

They're all great. The 760 has such a low TDP that all of the coolers perform really similarly. There's maybe 1-2dB between the lot of them. EVGA uses the highest quality fans, so my nod goes to them.

Ah, another evga's suggestion. There's a variant called superclocked. It's $10 expensive, should I get this one or just the cheaper?

Ra1den

So I got my external build, minus the ssd, finished and I shorted the power pins. The CPU and GPU fans turned on. I'm not getting any output to my screen though. Tried an hdmi and a VGA, connected to the motherboard itself, and neither worked.

Any ideas what may cause this?

jd78

Neo Member
So I got my external build, minus the ssd, finished and I shorted the power pins. The CPU and GPU fans turned on. I'm not getting any output to my screen though. Tried an hdmi and a VGA, connected to the motherboard itself, and neither worked.

Not sure what you mean by "shorted the power pins", but the rest of it sounds similar to an issue I had. My issue ended up being the RAM (incompatible instead of DOA). Take a look at the second post of this thread, section titled [Help! My PC won't turn on/POST/Boot].

Had this problem and it ended up being the tv I was connecting to (didn't have a monitor yet). Tried my brother's monitor and it fired right up. Had something to do with resolution incompatibility.

You don't absolutely need the molex attatchment. Be careful as some of those also don't provide enough juice going by some of the reviews.

I picked up 2 of these which are due to be here tomorrow. If you're going to do fan setups I suggest that since the extension is a little longer as well.

Lots to cover here.

1) No, the H110 does not control fan speed.

2) You would need to use your motherboard to control the H110 fan speed, which I recommend as they run at 1400 or 1500 RPM, and that's pretty high for 140mm fans.

3) You *always* want fans to be pushing, not pulling. With a push, the fans can control where the air goes, which means more air going over more radiator fins. In pull, they have no control where the air comes from. Push always gives better temps.

4) I'd plug the H110 fans into the motherboard, and case fans however else you can. The fans in the Carbide Air are very quiet even at full voltage. If you want to reduce them further, you will need to look into in-line voltage reducers, or a dedicated fan controller.

Or, replace them with fans that operate at a good speed. That last option is the one that I've always done, and will continue to do so. I messed around with a fan controller once, and just didn't like having to fidget with it. I'd prefer my fans to be operating at a nice quiet level always while pushing a decent amount of air. That tends to be 1000-1300 RPM for me.

You guys are great. Thanks so much. I cancelled the Molex one and picked up the PWM splitter you mentioned. Should make the cables a little bit neater inside the case too since I don't have to run a power supply cable out there (plus it's a better color scheme! :) ).

It was also a hell of a lot cheaper than the other one with expedited shipping since the one you listed is shipped from Amazon itself. Should be here Saturday too.

I'm going to run to Best Buy tonight after work to see if I could find one of those though so I don't have to wait. *fingers crossed*

Do you think it would be safe to run the H110 with only one fan until Saturday if I don't get the cable at Best Buy? I don't believe I would be able to get the second fan attached to the motherboard, and I'm getting antsy and want to actually turn on the machine and install the OS and apps tonight. I'd be running a 4770k but won't overclock it obviously until the entire fan setup is complete this weekend.

Also, side note but I realized my Carbide Air 540 didn't come with any air filters. :( I thought that it would come with filters for the top and bottom. Upon inspection it seems that Corsair doesn't even make top filters! What the hell? I don't know why Corsair doesn't do that, and it's especially needed for me since my fans will be pushing air through the radiator, and until I get the filters, they'll be pushing dust into the radiator as well. Regardless, I ended up calling them and having them send me two front filters for free thinking that may work for both. After I got off the phone and then looked online, and it looks like the dimensions just won't work (whoops! thanks anyways Corsair). I ordered some from demcifilter.com which should be here next week. I got the kit so it should come with filters of all kinds. It cost a fair bit, but at this point, I really don't care and just want some filters. I like that a lot of these filters seem to come with magnets nowadays to easily clip onto the case. That's a nice touch.

This is for the reference model, but it appears 7750 only needs the power from the PCI-E slot and no additional power. It's common, but I'm sure most of us in this thread end up with fairly high end GPU's that require additional power sources. Just another example though, the Nvidia 750 and 750 TI that were just announce don't require any additional power either. It just depends on how power hungry the chip is.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400255,00.asp

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You guys are great. Thanks so much. I cancelled the Molex one and picked up the PWM splitter you mentioned. Should make the cables a little bit neater inside the case too since I don't have to run a power supply cable out there (plus it's a better color scheme! :) ).

It was also a hell of a lot cheaper than the other one with expedited shipping since the one you listed is shipped from Amazon itself. Should be here Saturday too.

I'm going to run to Best Buy tonight after work to see if I could find one of those though so I don't have to wait. *fingers crossed*

Do you think it would be safe to run the H110 with only one fan until Saturday if I don't get the cable at Best Buy? I don't believe I would be able to get the second fan attached to the motherboard, and I'm getting antsy and want to actually turn on the machine and install the OS and apps tonight. I'd be running a 4770k but won't overclock it obviously until the entire fan setup is complete this weekend.

Also, side note but I realized my Carbide Air 540 didn't come with any air filters. :( I thought that it would come with filters for the top and bottom. Upon inspection it seems that Corsair doesn't even make top filters! What the hell? I don't know why Corsair doesn't do that, and it's especially needed for me since my fans will be pushing air through the radiator, and until I get the filters, they'll be pushing dust into the radiator as well. Regardless, I ended up calling them and having them send me two front filters for free thinking that may work for both. After I got off the phone and then looked online, and it looks like the dimensions just won't work (whoops! thanks anyways Corsair). I ordered some from demcifilter.com which should be here next week. I got the kit so it should come with filters of all kinds. It cost a fair bit, but at this point, I really don't care and just want some filters. I like that a lot of these filters seem to come with magnets nowadays to easily clip onto the case. That's a nice touch.
I wouldn't do a lot with just 1 fan. It should be fine even if temps are a little higher. As for your case, I have the 500R and got some custom filters for around 75. It was hardcore spending but it does an amazing job of keeping dust level in control and hair or other big junk from entering your case at will.

Here is a link to filters for your case.

Now, these filters will limit just a wee bit of air flow compared to no filters. Nothing some good fans can't negate. That's why I have about 6 SP120's and a few more fans pushing and pulling air out.

Shengar

The 770 is the better card, it depends if you want to prioritise your case or if you'd be willing to replace that later for example.

I just searched reviews for them and saw that there is about 30% perfomance difference between them. That's quite big, I think I'll picked up GTX 770 then. Thanks for the reply!

Okay guys, after all the new suggestions in this thread I'm currently on this build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($236.48 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.80 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($75.23 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.17 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($166.61 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($96.73 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.86 @ Amazon)
Total: $813.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-20 21:05 EST-0500)

I would get a cheaper case but I absolutely LOVE the look of the 350D, and I don't want to compromise.

Any other ideas, suggestions? Thanks again!

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on this.

Nakazato

Okay guys, after all the new suggestions in this thread I'm currently on this build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.80 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.86 @ Amazon)

I would get a cheaper case but I absolutely LOVE that look of the 350D, and I don't want to compromise.

750ti is cheaper at newegg :3

Edit WOW nevermind the price dropped on amazon

Still fighting myself over the 750ti and the 760

Ty4on

Edit: ^^^^^ They're the same GPU cores, but the 700 series has faster RAM and is higher clocked. A 770 is basically a 680.
Kinda sucks. I have a 2500k with 8 GB ram and a gtx 670. I love upgrading but I'm set :/
PCs don't age like they used to...

I wouldn't do a lot with just 1 fan. It should be fine even if temps are a little higher. As for your case, I have the 500R and got some custom filters for around 75. It was hardcore spending but it does an amazing job of keeping dust level in control and hair or other big junk from entering your case at will.

Here is a link to filters for your case.

Now, these filters will limit just a wee bit of air flow compared to no filters. Nothing some good fans can't negate. That's why I have about 6 SP120's and a few more fans pushing and pulling air out.

Yup, that is exactly what I picked up earlier! I'll keep a close eye on the temps in my case to see if I should add any additional fans if it's not getting proper airflow with the intake filters added. I have room for one more 120mm I believe in the front, unless I want to upgrade existing ones to higher RPM one's. Honestly, I don't think I'll have any issues though. The CPU is liquid cooled and the EVGA 780 TI has the ACX cooler, and it has the two case fan intakes blowing directly onto it. From reviews, this case has incredible air flow too. If anything, I would just end up using top/front filters if adding the additional filters restricts airflow too much. The PSU is in the second compartment in the case, so it shouldn't contribute much heat either.

It will be nice to have the machine stay much more dust free than my current one. Their filters should be really easy to clean too which I absolutely appreciate.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Yup, that is exactly what I picked up earlier! I'll keep a close eye on the temps in my case to see if I should add any additional fans if it's not getting proper airflow with the intake filters added. I have room for one more 120mm I believe in the front, unless I want to upgrade existing ones to higher RPM one's. Honestly, I don't think I'll have any issues though. The CPU is liquid cooled and the EVGA 780 TI has the ACX cooler, and it has the two case fan intakes blowing directly onto it. From reviews, this case has incredible air flow too. If anything, I would just end up using top/front filters if adding the additional filters restricts airflow too much. The PSU is in the second compartment in the case, so it shouldn't contribute much heat either.

It will be nice to have the machine stay much more dust free than my current one. Their filters should be really easy to clean too which I absolutely appreciate.

Water rinse and they are good as new.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Anyone have a theory on the following...

I have two of the exact same monitor (Acer S271HL).

One monitor works perfectly fine (the older one)

The 2nd monitor has a stuttering issue when watching video (Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc.)

Monitor works great with everything else.

I think they are setup exactly the same.

Ideas?

oJyEivKh.jpg

Well, PC GAF I went and did it! Here are my parts meant for a rig that's going to be in my entertainment center and viewed from my couch on my 1080p 50 inch plasma HDTV.

Thanks to mkenyon I was able to piece together a rig that I will be happy with for some years to come. It's not perfect but I will most likely add/change things as time goes by.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $49.99)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $104.99)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $139.99)
Storage: Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($94.18 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (Purchased For $435.00)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit (64-bit) (Purchased For $20.00)
Total: $1189.13

The case I went with was the RVZ01. I bought it at Tiger Direct with 2 day shipping for around $95.00. I also bought PP05-E flat flex wires for my SFX G PSU for around $25.00 on Amazon. My 780 gtx I snagged off of eBay for $435.00. The processor/ram/mb I picked up at Micro Center here in Cincinnati and the cheap OS off of reddit.

Overall I spent a little over $1300.00 for my build.

Delt31

Thoughts on the Intel Core i5-3570K cpu for a rig that I want to play titan fall on? card would be a EVGA GeForce GTX670 FTW 2048MB GDDR5 256bit SLI Ready Graphics Card

Sofa King

Any reasons to change things on this build?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Xaa5
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Xaa5/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Xaa5/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($187.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($285.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $970.84
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-20 22:57 EST-0500)

Video card, CPU and motherboard are a combo at Newegg and drops the price around $917 along with $40 in mail in rebate cards. Any thoughts?

Does anyone here have a 4gb gtx 770 and a 1440p monitor? I'm going to grab the rog swift when it drops and I want to know the performance I can expect with bf4 and source games like insurgency and titanfall.

I have a 4770k for my CPU.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Well, PC GAF I went and did it! Here are my parts meant for a rig that's going to be in my entertainment center and viewed from my couch on my 1080p 50 inch plasma HDTV.

Thanks to mkenyon I was able to piece together a rig that I will be happy with for some years to come. It's not perfect but I will most likely add/change things as time goes by.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $49.99)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $104.99)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $139.99)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit (64-bit) (Purchased For $20.00)

The case I went with was the RVZ01. I bought it at Tiger Direct with 2 day shipping for around $95.00. I also bought PP05-E flat flex wires for my SFX G PSU for around $25.00 on Amazon. My 780 gtx I snagged off of eBay for $435.00. The processor/ram/mb I picked up at Micro Center here in Cincinnati and the cheap OS off of reddit.

Is the GTX 780 going to be ok on that 450w psu?
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-780/specifications

oJyEivKh.jpg

That case looks damn sexy from this side, how long is it?

OMG THE FIRST GAF RAVEN

Can't WAIT!

LOL, yes I am excited too. I am partially done with this build, but I still need to route wires/place PSU/place AIO and place my 780 in. I am a member at the overclock.net forum and they have an official thread just for this case and along with mkenyon they have been very helpful as well. Hopefully I can get this up and running this weekend. It's been 14 years since I built my last computer which actually was my very first and last build. So I am very much a newbie.

Does anyone here have a 4gb gtx 770 and a 1440p monitor? I'm going to grab the rog swift when it drops and I want to know the performance I can expect with bf4 and source games like insurgency and titanfall.

I have a 4770k for my CPU.

Source games, no problem. For bf4, the benchmarks on the net shows you can play at 1440p/60 on medium setting with 770 2gb. The amount of vram won't give it much boost.

kennah

Yes, according to mkenyon and even the folks at Valve(who used the sfx 450 g on their Steam Machine Beta builds) I should be ok.

You won't be able to push the over clocks to the nines, but it's adequate for a stock 780 and mildly over clocked CPU.

For everyone else's information - the 450W SFX PSU was originally supposed to be a 500W SKU, but they couldn't get "80+ Gold" on all of their tester units, so they market it as a 450W. The unit itself can hold a steady 500W no problem, they UNDER rated it, instead of overrating it. I have the Bronze version in my computer with zero problems on a 2600K and 670.

SleazyC

I would get a cheaper case but I absolutely LOVE the look of the 350D, and I don't want to compromise.

This looks good. The 4670k is a great CPU and if you are ok with overclock should give you a lot of headroom for future performance.

You have a solid machine that is just one part (GPU) from becoming a fantastic machine.

That case looks damn sexy from this side, how long is it?

It is nearly 14 inches long.

Here are the specs from Silverstones site:

RVZ01 Specifications
Model No.SST-RVZ01B (black) MaterialReinforced plastic outer shell, steel bodyColorblackMotherboardDTX, Mini-ITXDrive BayExternalSlim slot-loading optical x 1
Internal3.5” x 1, 2.5” x 3Cooling SystemTop1 x 120mm fan, 1500rpm, 18dBABottom1 x 120mm fan, 1500rpm, 18dBA
1 x 120mm fan slotExpansion Slot2Front I/O PortUSB 3.0 x 2
audio x 1
MIC x 1 Power SupplySFXExpansion Card Support graphics card up to 13”, width restriction - 5.88”Limitation of CPU cooler83mmNet Weight3.71kgDimension382mm (W) x 105mm (H) x 350mm (D), 14 litersExtraSupport two Kensington locks*Liquid cooling support limited to component that fit within RVZ01’s predefined dimensions. For detailed information, please refer to manual.

You can download a PDF of the manual and get a better look at the case at this link:

RVZ01

Ra1den

Nearing the final stretch of my first build, and now the case fans are stumping me. As usual the manual is no help.

My case has three fans... One of them has a cable with a plug that has 3 slots and is labeled tkg 2510... The other two fans also have this same plug, but with an additional molex plug jutting out the side of it.

My motherboard has no place for any of these. I guess I could plug the two that have molex plugs into my power supply, but that still leaves that last fan with just that 3 slot thingy...

Oh and on my mobo, all the sysfan spots are 4-pin.

You won't be able to push the over clocks to the nines, but it's adequate for a stock 780 and mildly over clocked CPU.

For everyone else's information - the 450W SFX PSU was originally supposed to be a 500W SKU, but they couldn't get "80+ Gold" on all of their tester units, so they market it as a 450W. The unit itself can hold a steady 500W no problem, they UNDER rated it, instead of overrating it. I have the Bronze version in my computer with zero problems on a 2600K and 670.

That's okay I don't plan on OCing the 780 and won't attempt the CPU for quite some time. I hear Silverstone is working on a bigger sfx PSU but they are taking their time and getting it right before they release a final commercial build.

Anyone have a theory on the following...

I have two of the exact same monitor (Acer S271HL).

One monitor works perfectly fine (the older one)

The 2nd monitor has a stuttering issue when watching video (Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc.)

Monitor works great with everything else.

I think they are setup exactly the same.

Ideas?

Do videos stutter on the other monitor as well? And what OS and GPU are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom