• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delt31

I don't think anyone has been able to make the i5s be a bottleneck in any game so far. It should do great with with the 670. The title says your 2500K i5 is fine after all :p

Edit: Only downside is the GPU is a blower, but the FTW 670 were the best 670 blowers (stock ones rattled). Looks like a great deal!

When you say blower - what do you mean? Sounds bad ; )

and compared to an i7 4770, is the 3570 too much of a downgrade?

I feel like for 500 this can't be beat though considering I priced it new/build myself and it's almost 1000+

Sofa King

So, I posted this last page but no takers. Any thoughts?
Any reasons to change things on this build?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Xaa5
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Xaa5/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Xaa5/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($187.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($285.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $970.84
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-20 22:57 EST-0500)

Video card, CPU and motherboard are a combo at Newegg and drops the price around $917 along with $40 in mail in rebate cards. Any thoughts?

Zumbug

Neo Member
How does this look to everyone, anything obviously wrong here:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£86.50 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI FORMULA ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£214.62 @ Dabs)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£68.88 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£115.00 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (£400.54 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£69.65 @ Dabs)
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£125.99 @ Dabs)
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor (£449.12 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £1692.29
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-21 14:14 GMT+0000)

The plan would be to add another 8Gb or RAM and probably a second 780 down the line.

Also the motherboard is overkill, but it look really nice and has built in wifi, should I be looking at something else here? The plan is to push the i5 up to 4.2.

riflen

How does this look to everyone, anything obviously wrong here:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£86.50 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI FORMULA ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£214.62 @ Dabs)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£68.88 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£115.00 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (£400.54 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£69.65 @ Dabs)
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£125.99 @ Dabs)
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor (£449.12 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £1692.29
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-21 14:14 GMT+0000)

The plan would be to add another 8Gb or RAM and probably a second 780 down the line.

Also the motherboard is overkill, but it look really nice and has built in wifi, should I be looking at something else here? The plan is to push the i5 up to 4.2.

There's nothing wrong here really. It'll be a really nice machine and 4.2 shouldn't be a problem.

Personally I don't use wireless networking for gaming as powerline adapters give far better performance, reliability and latency in my home. Also, I don't know if G-sync is something you're interested in, as the displays will be arriving soonish and you have a nvidia GPU. If so, you might consider picking up a cheaper display to sell on once they're available.

grkazan12

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me out with my power supply situation. So I already have a Corsair 750 Watt power supply and I've been contemplating on getting a modular Corsair 760W power supply. The one currently has been great and I've had no problems with it at all, it's just I always hate cramming the plethora of cables just to fit in the case.

So would an upgrade to a modular supply be worth it?

For anyone that has switched from a normal power supply to a modular power supply. Was it worth it?

Also, would upgrading to a 760W supply be adequate and future proof or should I go higher in wattage to at least 800?

Branson

Idk if this is a good place to post this but I had a dream I bought a 780 and lost the sack I had it in at a fair. Had to pay $73 to get it out of lost and found. I was pissed because I just spent $500 and lost it.

Maybe I should get a new video card. Lol.

Norns

I don't think anyone has been able to make the i5s be a bottleneck in any game so far. It should do great with with the 670. The title says your 2500K i5 is fine after all :p

Edit: Only downside is the GPU is a blower, but the FTW 670 were the best 670 blowers (stock ones rattled). Looks like a great deal!

I have a 670ftw and it's super quiet compared to the 570 I had before it.

I have someone selling a HD 7950 for $275 at work. Would that fit in the raven RVZ01? Also, is it that much better than the GTX 760, which i was going to get?

vareon

GAF, let's say I want to build a PC now that will be able to play Dragon Age 3 later. I know we don't have minimum or recommended specs yet, but we know it's Frostbite 3. I'm a very budget concerned guy and I don't really care about graphic fidelity things. 30 FPS and Medium setting is fine by me as long as the game plays fine.

Would i5 4570 and r7 260x and 4GB RAM suffice for that? If not, would this be futureproof enough if I want an upgrade later this year? If DAIII is too far a target, take Watch_Dogs or FFXIV for example.

Living in a third world country sucks--I have to pay almost 1.3-1.5 times more for each component that a $580 PC becomes a $700 PC to me.

Zumbug

Neo Member
There's nothing wrong here really. It'll be a really nice machine and 4.2 shouldn't be a problem.

Personally I don't use wireless networking for gaming as powerline adapters give far better performance, reliability and latency in my home. Also, I don't know if G-sync is something you're interested in, as the displays will be arriving soonish and you have a nvidia GPU. If so, you might consider picking up a cheaper display to sell on once they're available.

As far as 780's go, is there a "best" one? the Zotac Amp looks OK, seem to be high up benchmarks as well, but I read the early version had firmware issues.

What's best here?

I have someone selling a HD 7950 for $275 at work. Would that fit in the raven RVZ01? Also, is it that much better than the GTX 760, which i was going to get?

Yeah you would be good with a 7950 in the RVZ01. You check out the thread at OCN I started about the case? We have a ton of pics up with various setups.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1466816/silverstone-raven-rvz01-ml07-owners-club/120#post_21825473

I completed mine yest but I am at a stand still with the AIO.

Yeah you would be good with a 7950 in the RVZ01. You check out the thread at OCN I started about the case? We have a ton of pics up with various setups.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1466816/silverstone-raven-rvz01-ml07-owners-club/120#post_21825473

I completed mine yest but I am at a stand still with the AIO.

Thanks, yea i looked at that thread yesterday, good info. My question is that I know the part is overpriced because of mining...is 275 a deal if it wasn't used for mining?

mkenyon

Banned
sQTnrvQ.jpg

That's the best cable management you're going to get out of me!

Also the parts are
Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3
Gigabyte GTX 780OC Rev 2
And my old HAF 912 for the case.
Sweeeeeet

How are you ennjoying it?
Any reasons to change things on this build?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Xaa5
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Xaa5/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Xaa5/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($187.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($285.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $970.84
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-20 22:57 EST-0500)

Video card, CPU and motherboard are a combo at Newegg and drops the price around $917 along with $40 in mail in rebate cards. Any thoughts?
I like the Corsair 200R over the HAF 912, or even the CM N400. Otherwise looks great.
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me out with my power supply situation. So I already have a Corsair 750 Watt power supply and I've been contemplating on getting a modular Corsair 760W power supply. The one currently has been great and I've had no problems with it at all, it's just I always hate cramming the plethora of cables just to fit in the case.

So would an upgrade to a modular supply be worth it?

For anyone that has switched from a normal power supply to a modular power supply. Was it worth it?

Also, would upgrading to a 760W supply be adequate and future proof or should I go higher in wattage to at least 800?
The only person that can answer your question is you really. But, I can't buy non-modular PSUs. You can also get fancy cables for the Corsair PSUs from their website, like these here I use in my builds:

As to whether it'd be future proof, it really depends on what kind of plans you have for your build. 760W is going to be enough for most dual card setups, assuming you stick with the consumer socket (1155/1150) rather than the enthusiast socket (2011).
Idk if this is a good place to post this but I had a dream I bought a 780 and lost the sack I had it in at a fair. Had to pay $73 to get it out of lost and found. I was pissed because I just spent $500 and lost it.

Maybe I should get a new video card. Lol.
Definitely a sign. You need a 780.
Not worth it at that price, IMO. I'd go for the 760.

ok, just ordered some the following parts for my PC upgrade

Intel Core i7-4770K Processor

MSI Z87-G45 GAMING Intel Z87

Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB SSD

Corsair Hydro Series H60 CPU Cooler

Keeping the following parts from my old PC

Corsair 650 Watt PS

8GB DDR3 Memory (duno how spec)

Diamond AMD 7850 Graphic Cards

Hitachi 500GB HD

Should i upgrade to faster memory? is it worth it? Also i'm looking into getting a new Case, since my Thermaltake v9 Black Edition kinda loud...i want something quiet

mkenyon

Banned

Corsair 650 Watt PS

Hitachi 500GB HD

Should i upgrade to faster memory? is it worth it? Also i'm looking into getting a new Case, since my Thermaltake v9 Black Edition kinda loud...i want something quiet
Make sure your H60 is plugged into the fan header on the motherboard so you can control the speed. That'll help quiet things down a lot. Set an upper limit of 1200-1300 RPM.

No, memory is not worth upgrading.

If you want a new case, check out the stuff in the OP. I've built in most of them, and stand by them all.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Alrighty. I think I'm going to follow the guide for the Fractal Node set up in the OP with some tweaks (keeping my 760 4GB for now as well as my RAM). Slap a nice 3TB HDD to go with my 250 GB SSD and things will look good. Got everything saved in a Newegg wishlist.

Now to play the money/waiting game. T-T

Make sure your H60 is plugged into the fan header on the motherboard so you can control the speed. That'll help quiet things down a lot. Set an upper limit of 1200-1300 RPM.

No, memory is not worth upgrading.

If you want a new case, check out the stuff in the OP. I've built in most of them, and stand by them all.

Thank You ....will look into it this weekend

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
trying to set my PCI firewire slot into the motherboard but it seems like its not really fitting. the segment where the extra piece of plastic is in the PCI slot is like less than a millimeter off but when i try to push it in it doesn't really seem like its going in because the pins on the card are still hitting that piece of plastic. i'm afraid to bend it too much but also the card is against the case as it is.

the graphics card is mounted in the board already and it seems like the motherboard is far enough for that to be seated correctly.

any tips? should i post pictures of what i'm talking about?

kennah

trying to set my PCI firewire slot into the motherboard but it seems like its not really fitting. the segment where the extra piece of plastic is in the PCI slot is like less than a millimeter off but when i try to push it in it doesn't really seem like its going in because the pins on the card are still hitting that piece of plastic. i'm afraid to bend it too much but also the card is against the case as it is.

the graphics card is mounted in the board already and it seems like the motherboard is far enough for that to be seated correctly.

any tips? should i post pictures of what i'm talking about?

Sounds like you're trying to put a PCI card in a PCI-E Slot. What motherbaord do you have?

EDIT: Looked through your posts and found the Asus Z87-A which has two PCI slots. Only one would be accessable with a GPU installed. Make sure you're putting it in the right one! (Second from the bottom)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Sounds like you're trying to put a PCI card in a PCI-E Slot. What motherbaord do you have?

EDIT: Looked through your posts and found the Asus Z87-A which has two PCI slots. Only one would be accessable with a GPU installed. Make sure you're putting it in the right one! (Second from the bottom)

I am definitely using the PCI slot (not the PCI-e), second from the bottom.

i also tried putting the wifi card in (even though it says to install the card after i put the disc in or whatever) just to see if that fits. it supposedly goes into one of the smaller ones, but only one that it can actually go into is the one on the top. still seemed like it might have trouble fitting.

mkenyon

Banned
I am definitely using the PCI slot (not the PCI-e), second from the bottom.

i also tried putting the wifi card in (even though it says to install the card after i put the disc in or whatever) just to see if that fits. it supposedly goes into one of the smaller ones, but only one that it can actually go into is the one on the top. still seemed like it might have trouble fitting.
PCI-E slots can be of varying sizes. What motherboard do you have? If it's a Z87, chances are you have no PCI slot.

kharma45

Corsair 650 Watt PS

Hitachi 500GB HD

I agree with everything mkenyon said. If you do want a quieter case but don't want to spend R4 money then the H230 for $50 after rebate is a good buy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146109

Comes in white too if you prefer.

KTT

Need a motherboard recommendation...

http://www.microcenter.com/product/414799/GA-Z87MX-D3H_Socket_LGA_1150_mATX_Intel_Motherboard

UD3H is $140

or I can get the mATX D3H for $100 (open box... manufacturer's warranty applies. everything included) here:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/414799/GA-Z87MX-D3H_Socket_LGA_1150_mATX_Intel_Motherboard

I'll be using a 4670K, a Zalman Optima Cooler, 1x8GB (not low profile) DDR3 and a Corsair 200R case.

Would I be cheating myself if I saved $40 and got the mATX mobo? Would it effect my overclock?

Thanks, yea i looked at that thread yesterday, good info. My question is that I know the part is overpriced because of mining...is 275 a deal if it wasn't used for mining?

I paid 200 after rebate for my 7950 back in Oct.. looking to sell it now and either upgrade to a 770 or keep the extra cash and buy a 760.

I wouldn't buy an ATI card right now at all. Only reason I picked mine over a 760 was because of Mantle.. and Mantle doesn't seem to be doing much to be justifiable right now.

kharma45

Building a new rig soon. Wondering if this LGA1150 motherboard is good?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8139505&CatId=8586

Or should I get a cheaper one if there's a good one at a cheapter price motherboard for my new i5 4670K CPU. Nothing more than 80 bucks.

If you're getting a 4670K you want to go Z87 to OC.

Cheapest board that I could think about recommending is $95 and then you might as well grab this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na

There's no point getting a 4670K and not going Z87. Either break that budget or scale down on the CPU to a lesser i5.

Need a motherboard recommendation...

UD3H is $140

or I can get the mATX D3H for $100 (open box... manufacturer's warranty applies. everything included) here:

I'll be using a 4670K, a Zalman Optima Cooler, 1x8GB (not low profile) DDR3 and a Corsair 200R case.

Would I be cheating myself if I saved $40 and got the mATX mobo? Would it effect my overclock?

The mATX might have a few less power phases but I cannot see any information exactly. That's just a guess. The two ATX versions have the same but the mATX might not.

KTT

The mATX might have a few less power phases but I cannot see any information exactly. That's just a guess. The two ATX versions have the same but the mATX might not.

Not familiar with the term "power phase"... should I learn about it? Or try to find some more detailed specs? Or would you say that it's best to just play it safe and go with the UD3H

Thanks for the help :)

NoRéN

Not familiar with the term "power phase"... should I learn about it? Or try to find some more detailed specs? Or would you say that it's best to just play it safe and go with the UD3H

Thanks for the help :)

has to do with stability in regards to power supply...I think.

KTT

NoRéN;101750174 said:
has to do with stability in regards to power supply...I think.

Gotcha. Looks like after discount, the two would be the same price anyway. So I'll go with the ATX UD3H.

Thanks, guys.

- J - D -

I'm going to get another fan for the top of my case, is 1 200m better or 2 120?

Unless you're paying a bit more for "silent" type 120mm fans, I'd say a 200mm for a top exhaust fan would be fine, since it's quiter than 2 120s. Otherwise, 120mms would be better for most other use cases.

Why is the FPS locked at 60 when turning VSYNC on?

Because of your refresh rate. It's generally what vsync does.

Your Current Specs: just basic crap, laptop.
Budget: ~$400-500 + US
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest:
5 - Light Gaming
5 - Gaming
1 - Emulation (PS2/Wii)
2 - Video Editing
1 - Streaming games in HD
1 - 3D/Model work (and what program)
5 - General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
Monitor Resolution: IDK, I will have to buy a monitor, until then I planned on just plugging it up to my t.v.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well:
The main thing is League of Legends. I would like to run it at highest setting with a good amount of fps. Like 60+ without drops. I can currently run it on lowest setting with 20-30 fps with drops to 1 in big fights.
Small note: I am interested in games like shogun 2, so would be nice if it could play those type of game decently, but not required.
How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you? - I know nothing about these.
Looking to reuse any parts?: no
When will you build?: If the prebuilt I listed below isn't good enought, within about 2 wks.
Will you be overclocking?: No. I don't know anything about this.

I was told to get this, and that would be the cheapest route, for prebuilt. So is this good?
http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnline...arch.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dfh&cs=22&puid=23c874f6
Processor: Intel Core 3rd Generation i5-3340 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.3 GHz)
Windows 8
1TB Hard Drive, 3.5 Inch, 7200rpm, SATA
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600Mhz
16X DVD +/- RW Drive
Intel HD Integrated Graphics
Dell Outlet Inspiron 660 Minitower

Note: I was told to get a radeon 7750 for it as well and I should b okay for basic gaming needs. If I can play LoL decently w/o the 7750 I will hold off on getting it.

Xamdou

Unless you're paying a bit more for "silent" type 120mm fans, I'd say a 200mm for a top exhaust fan would be fine, since it's quiter than 2 120s. Otherwise, 120mms would be better for most other use cases.

Because of your refresh rate. It's generally what vsync does unless you turn on triple buffering (through your gpu's control panel or D3DOverrider).

So I need to buy a 120hz monitor to have more than 60+ fps with vsync on?

NoRéN

Since you brought it up, the 200r is $30 at TigerDirect if one was considering that instead.

Edit: Tempted to get it to build another PC in the future...

I too prefer the 200r over the HAF 912. Much more simple and elegant on the outside. The HAF912 does have more room to work with but the 200r has been good. Just make sure to check the standoffs as they come preinstalled.

Ra1den

You can plug all your fans into the motherboard. Ignore the molex connectors on your two fans - they are there in case you don't have enough ports on the motherboard for your 3-pin connectors, and although your fans are 3-pin they will still connect to the 4-pin plugs just fine. The sockets on the motherboard will be notched at one side to allow the 3-pin connector to slot in, like so:

DBCE7D7D74819B7BC287C7A93EED64D831CA56EE_lis.jpg

Whoa thanks! I was gonna order some adapters, this saves me the hassle and waiting.

Pachimari

I have finally ordered all of the parts and I can start building my first computer on Wednesday - I hope you guys will help me through this, as you have helped me so formidably so far. :)

Right now, I'm watching this YouTube guide from the OP.

And probably one of those dumb questions, but I plan to connect a 5.1 speaker set to my computer, thus sound coming out from them. But while it's connected to my PC monitor, it's also connected to my AV receiver so I can use it with my HDTV.

So if I use it with my HDTV, will sound also come out of the PC 5.1 speaker set? Because I only want sound to come out of my 5.1 surround setup connected to my AV receiver when I game on the HDTV.

DarkFlow

Banned
So I just picked up a 200m Megaflow, it's helping keep the temps down very well and it's pretty quiet. Also it has a cool blue LED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom