• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Wow, why didn't they add the option to turn off mouse accel?

I thought it was always an option in control panel -> mouse.
That's where I disabled it I believe......

In XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.x, Microsoft changed how mouse pointer acceleration worked.
Now when those games call the function (asking that all movement be accelerated), Windows enables the mouse 'Enhance pointer precision' feature, which adds mouse acceleration using a varying curve to control the mouse response. (It enables it even if you have it turned off in the Control Panel Mouse settings.)
TIL....brb while I do this.

So do we still have no inkling as to when Broadwell releases? I'm getting that laptop-purchasing hunger at the moment but figure I may as well wait for 14nm chips.

Ragus

Banned
I would say no to upgrading your CPU at this point. It's not worth it, especially since you will have to buy a new MOBO.

Are you having some specific problem that you think is CPU related?

If not having constant 60 fps in BF4 is a problem, then yes I do ;).

I didn't know that I could even OC my i5, as it's not a K series.

In bios, I've set CPU Voltage to 1,250v and CPU Ratio to 42. Now, in BF4 campaign, I have steady 60 fps at highest settings, and I am quite amazed.

But, is it safe? Did I do it the right way? In CPU-Z when I look a core speed, I get 4,0GHz, which sometimes jumps to 4,1GHz or 4,2GHz and goes back to 4,0GHz. Should it be that way? Before that, when I had my CPU set to 3,4GHz, it stayed that way all the time.

Just to add some more details

What's your router? Huawei EchoLife HG532
Does your router have multiple WiFi endpoints (mine has two, one 2.4 GHz and one 5 GHz I can connect to)? 2.4 only I think, that's the only option on the laptop at least

Gonna try hooking it up directly through Ethernet by moving the PC downstairs temporarily. If that works (with actual speed, not just the speed it tells me I'm getting), I'll just buy a long Ethernet cable and will have to run it up the stairs and through a wall

IMACOMPUTA

I'm so mad at myself. I obliterated my mouse in a fit of gamer rage during some ranked cs go.
Little did I know they discontinued the Logitech g9x. I loved that mouse :( RIP

GAMER RAGE IS REAL

Anyways, now is such a terrible time to be dropping $70 on a mouse. Too many games.

Anybody have suggestions on claw style mice?

mkenyon

Banned
I'm so mad at myself. I obliterated my mouse in a fit of gamer rage during some ranked cs go.
Little did I know they discontinued the Logitech g9x. I loved that mouse :( RIP

GAMER RAGE IS REAL

Anyways, now is such a terrible time to be dropping $70 on a mouse. Too many games.

Anybody have suggestions on claw style mice?
Did the guy yell really loud into his mic before the match and after winning? If so, sorry about that. :p

If you have a Fry's near you, I'd suggest going and feeling a CM Xornet, Steelseries Sensei, Steelseries Rival, and G400S.

The Rival is the most accurate of the bunch with zero interpolation, but is definitely more palm-grip style. To get something similar to the G9X, you'd probably want the Sensei. It's ambi, but can be griped in a really similar way to the G9X.

2San

I need help since, I am facing a dilemma. So I posted this a 4 days back.
Urgh I think my gpu is dying. Got yellow/greenish grain all over my screen even in the bios screen. I cleaned my PC from dust and it went away, but I am afraid now. :<
I haven't had a problem since. I assume it happened, because my mobo became too hot. Which probably happened because of all the dust. The GPU or CPU where sub 50 degrees at the time. Prime95/Furmark tests turn out fine btw.

Because of my fears I looked up my savings (it was for a PS4) and have enough to buy a GTX780 and now I want it even if my GPU is fine. However I am not in the mood to buy a new GPU and finding out my mobo died a few days later. Do you guys think it's worth the risk getting the GTX780?

Stubo

Okay, I guess I'll try to format it when I get home.
Try disabling hibernate first, this should save you a bunch of space. Also if it's really bugging you, right click on your SSD and go to proporties, 'disk cleanup' should be able to wipe some things.

Then if you want to go further you can remove system restore and shadow copies in the 'more options' tab of disk cleanup. This will remove all but the most recent system restore point though, so be careful with this if you think you may want to restore later!

LOq3CW7.png

Ashes

Banned
It could be any of the following:
*gpu
*drivers (I'd say no, due to BIOS screen being faulty too)
*monitor
*cables (HDMI/or even adapters)
*motherboard
*Psu

You may think dusting solved it, and you are probably right, but you may have done something else along with it too.

Edit: it probably isn't the motherboard. I was just saying I wouldn't rule it out 100%.

2San

It could be any of the following:
*gpu
*drivers (I'd say no, due to BIOS screen being faulty too)
*monitor
*cables (HDMI/or even adapters)
*motherboard
*Psu

You may think dusting solved it, and you are probably right, but you may have done something else along with it too.

Edit: it probably isn't the motherboard. I was just saying I wouldn't rule it out 100%.
Hmm I think I'll wait a few weeks just to be safe. I have exams anyway.

Is this a good build?

I already have a 240 gig SSD that I'm going to use and a Geforce 670.

http://imgur.com/sxMmzkL

NZXT Phantom PHAN-003RD Red White Finish w/Red Trim Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Model #:pHAN-003RD
Item #:N82E16811146074
$139.99 -$20.00 Instant $119.99

ASUS MAXIMUS VI EXTREME LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Model #:MAXIMUS VI EXTREME
Item #:N82E16813131974
Return Policy:Limited Replacement Only Return Policy
In Stock
Note (Add)
$394.29 -$20.00 Instant $374.29

Update
CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready
CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC ...
Model #:CP-9020031-NA
Item #:N82E16817139010
Return Policy:Standard Return Policy
$169.99 -$30.00 Instant $139.99

Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770K
Model #:BX80646I74770K
Item #:N82E16819116901
$349.99 -$10.00 Instant $339.99

G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Model #:F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Item #:N82E16820231589
$199.99 $199.99

ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-R 135mm Long life bearing CPU Cooler Red LED
Model #:CNPS9900MAX-R
Item #:N82E16835118075

My current PC is from 2009 (with a few upgrades.)
Phenom X4 955 @ 3.6ghz
12 gigs of g skill ram
Geforce 670
240 gig SSD

My plan is to basically buy a new graphics card for my wife and give her this old system and upgrade to the new one. It's been a long time since I've built anything so I hop you guys can tell me what I can improve or if the build is solid. I basically want to future proof for a while.

thespot84

Is this a good build?

sxMmzkL

Phenom X4 955 @ 3.6ghz
12 gigs of g skill ram
Geforce 670
240 gig SSD

My plan is to basically buy a new graphics card for my wife and give her this old system and upgrade to the new one. It's been a long time since I've built anything so I hop you guys can tell me what I can improve or if the build is solid. I basically want to future proof for a while.

i'd google to make sure the high profile ram won't get in the way of that cpu cooler.

Thorgal

Not a good idea to set expectations on someone else's experience. It's all silicon lottery.

Guess ill just keep increasing slowly until i experience artifacts or it crashes on me .

Btw , is Furmark still a good way to stress test the GPU ?

One other thing and it has been bothering me for a while now :

naamlooslcq74.png

Is it better to prioritize the voltage level or the Temp range?

Also , would keeping the temp limit at 95 °C cause any long term harm or is it perfectly fine ?

mkenyon

Banned
*edit* 290X prices starting to normalize. ASUS DCII 290X for $580 on Newegg! YAY!

Is this a good build?

Phenom X4 955 @ 3.6ghz
12 gigs of g skill ram
Geforce 670
240 gig SSD

The motherboard you're buying is expensive because of the inclusion of a PLX chip, which exists to multiply PCI-E lanes. This helps when running 3-4 way SLI and Crossfire. Outside of that, it's completely overkill.

Are you wanting to build an enthusiast machine with great aesthetics? If so, I can customize some part choices for you in order to achieve that. If not, then I'd highly advise sticking to the choices in the OP, as they're focused almost entirely on $:performance.
Would a GTX 760 be a big upgrade from a HD6850? I am talking about this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DBPKEOI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And would this last for a few years?
Yeah, it's a good one.
Guess ill just keep increasing slowly until i experience artifacts or it crashes on me .

Btw , is Furmark still a good way to stress test the GPU ?

One other thing and it has been bothering me for a while now :

Is it better to prioritize the voltage level or the Temp range?

Also , would keeping the temp limit at 95 °C cause any long term harm or is it perfectly fine ?
I use Furmark to get a quick idea of stability, and then test it with at least a few runs of 3DMark Firestrike, or 3DMark11.

I don't have much experience OC'ing Kepler cards outside of the 670 and 690, so I'm unsure as to the rest.

H4r4kiri

So i updated windows 8.1 and everything. I just got a question now.

Should i install all ne updated on the Asus website for the B85M-G ? Even Bios and everything or should i just leave it? I first installed the drivers from the shipped Asus CD

Furthermore: Are these datas good for my Crucial M500 or do i have to install somehting or configurate anything with my harddrive ?

IRBiTcH.png

mr stroke

q9iVRai.jpg

Just keep in mind it's really really expensive, and can get even more expensive than it first seems very quickly.

That's a molex connector, and it gets plugged into your power supply.

that build is beautiful, how much did it cost you and how long did it take?

Pachimari

Try disabling hibernate first, this should save you a bunch of space. Also if it's really bugging you, right click on your SSD and go to proporties, 'disk cleanup' should be able to wipe some things.

Then if you want to go further you can remove system restore and shadow copies in the 'more options' tab of disk cleanup. This will remove all but the most recent system restore point though, so be careful with this if you think you may want to restore later!

LOq3CW7.png

It'll only restore 551MB.

How do I disable hibernate again? Was it in Manage Devices?

mkenyon

Banned
that build is beautiful, how much did it cost you and how long did it take?
Thanks!

Took a number of months, but that was because I found out the owner of the house I was leasing was moving in at the end of it. Went in limbo for a few months until I bought my new place.

Went through a number of revisions too. Started out with a GTX 690, 3820, and Rampage IV Gene. Ended up with a 7970 Matrix, Gigabyte Sniper M5, and 4770K. Build log here.

Actually going to 100% finish it within a few weeks. I've been working on refinishing my office in our new house. Once that's done, I'll have no excuses left to finish.

Pachimari

Talking about H60, I just got a replacement from the store, after the first one leaked water. Today I also send in my Evga GTX 780, hopefully they'll exchange that one too.

BIGWORM

So, my current build, an AMD FX-8320 @ 3.5 isn't really cutting it for Dolphin emulation, it's great out of everything else. Apparently, it's single-thread optimization is poor, even compared to my old i5 Lynnfield. I know I'll have to upgrade my mother as well, but what would be a substantial upgrade for Dolphin emulation and overclockability?

I bought this rig complete 2nd-hand from CL. Plays everything on high, including Titan Fall maxed out. =)

mkenyon

Banned
So, my current build, an AMD FX-8320 @ 3.5 isn't really cutting it for Dolphin emulation, it's great out of everything else. Apparently, it's single-thread optimization is poor, even compared to my old i5 Lynnfield. I know I'll have to upgrade my mother as well, but what would be a substantial upgrade for Dolphin emulation and overclockability?

I bought this rig complete 2nd-hand from CL. Plays everything on high, including Titan Fall maxed out. =)
Just about anything from the OP will be a huge upgrade for dolphin. What's your budget?

Probably looking at the Biostar or Gigabyte Z87 and a 4670K.

ZoddGutts

haha I was building my new PC build yesterday and it literally went up in smoke. I quickly turned it off when I smelled smoke and saw some fumes coming out of my PC. Check my PC tried to see where it came from, looks like it's my motherboard. Tried to turn it on again and it doesn't power up anymore, I see a small light up area in the motherboard but it turns off quickly. Going to RMA my Z87-G45.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
haha I was building my new PC build yesterday and it literally went up in smoke. I quickly turned it off when I smelled smoke and saw some fumes coming out of my PC. Check my PC tried to see where it came from, looks like it's my motherboard. Tried to turn it on again and it doesn't power up anymore, I see a small light up area in the motherboard but it turns off quickly. Going to RMA my Z87-G45.

uZIHVOE.gif

BIGWORM

Just about anything from the OP will be a huge upgrade for dolphin. What's your budget?

Probably looking at the Biostar or Gigabyte Z87 and a 4670K.

Probably 250-350. Looks like the Z87 and the 4670K are around that price range. Does Corsair sell the mounting brackets for their liquid coolers separately?

Anustart

Cross posting again from buy sell thread. I'm broke and in a tight spot, letting my evga gtx 760 go for 160$ shipped to us48. Need this gone preferably tonight.

mkenyon

Banned
Cross posting again from buy sell thread. I'm broke and in a tight spot, letting my evga gtx 760 go for 160$ shipped to us48. Need this gone preferably tonight.
Considering there's two members on this page talking about getting a 760, if someone skips on this, they are without sense.

For people who do not know, GPU warranties are by serial # now. They transfer forward on used parts.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

What brand is that bad boy?
Edit: pm'd you

Edit2: someone buy that card from Anustart!! Such a good deal.

IceIpor

Does anyone have the list of video card manufacturers to buy from or avoid?

If you have one that is specific to North America, it would be even better!

mkenyon

Banned
Does anyone have the list of video card manufacturers to buy from or avoid?

If you have one that is specific to North America, it would be even better!
It's really more about the coolers than the AIBs. I'd personally rank them like this:

1. EVGA ACX
1. ASUS DCII
1. Gigabyte Windforce
2. MSI Twin/Tri Frozr
2. Sapphire
3. PowerColor/Club 3D

Then avoid XFX. But, XFX's customer support is pretty good. So....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom