• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone here recently upgraded from a 1366 CPU?

I'm getting back more than I expected on my income tax and I'm thinking about upgrading my CPU/mobo. As it is I've got a 920 running @ 4.2 GHz and I'm wondering if there's any practical performance difference between newer i7's and older ones. I know that synthetic benchmarks favor newer chips, but are there any real gaming benefits in switching to a 4770K or even a 4930K? More specifically, will there be any improvement in minimum FPS or is that almost exclusively associated with the GPU?

I've got a 7970 right now, but I feel like I should wait before I buy a new video card. I would hate to spend $600 on a 780 only to have my CPU or mobo die.

There's also the fact that I'm running with 6GB of memory, which would probably be replaced by 16GB if I were to upgrade, but I don't think that has much of an effect on games right now.

kennah

I'm planning to get this Asus GeForce GTX 780,, because my current GPU (kennah's AMD Powercolor HD6850) isn't enough anymore.
It has served me very well, but I want to be able to run titles like Watch_Dogs in 1080p and at least 30FPS (preferably 60FPS) and I was wondering, if I'm set with that one?
Appareantly, these are the minimum specs, if that helps somehow.

Also, reposting, because it's still happening and I don't know, what to do...

Like every time, help would be appreciated. Thanks.

That's awesome. I'm glad it is still kicking! Pay it forward to another gaffer when you upgrade!

KTT

Not sure if this is the best thread (if there's a better one, I'd love to know), but I'll ask anyway.

A friend dropped my external hard drive about a week ago and I'm trying to get it working. I've got it plugged in to my laptop at the moment, and this is what I see after going to My Computer --> Manage:

ovEiyAa.png

(it's Disk 3)

But it doesn't show up in explorer... I've googled around, but can't find a situation exactly like mine. Any ideas? I don't want to lose all the data on it if I don't have to (wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but it would verrrrry inconvenient)

:(

Soodanim

The possibility of cheap Windows via /r/softwareswap has gotten me excited about saving ~£50, and being under £900 makes me happy. With that in mind, what do you think?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.44 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£103.20 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£65.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£62.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (£246.94 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£78.89 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£44.98 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£11.83 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £845.01
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-12 21:58 GMT+0000)

There's your standard 4670k, 212 EVO, 840 EVO, 1TB Caviar Blue. and cheap DVD drive. Should they be fine? I haven't looked much into the 840 EVO, but it seems to be liked. And cheap.
I'll swap the green LP Vengeance for a more sightly colour that isn't listed but is the same price.
Gigabyte apparently have a nice RMA policy in the UK so they get top pickings. Is a 770 the way to go?
Could happily change the PSU, but I was recommended that before on here.
I don't know if that's a good motherboard choice, but then again, I'm not sure about what case I want. Do I go with the quiet choice in the R4, something a bit smaller and cheaper in something like the Bitfenix Shinobi, or do I go for a mini ITX board and case? Are there any good new cases on the market?

This must be at least the 4th build I've posted on here without actually buying a PC in a year or so. Don't hate me Gaf.

TheD

The Detective
CRUCIAL M500 480GB FOR FREAKING $220!!!!!

Link. Promo code: EMCYTZT5869

Amazon also has it around the same http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQ8RHJ2/?tag=neogaf0e-20 For anyone who wants it outside the US.
(Does anyone have perfromance numbers on the 480GB model? does it suffer the same write speed problems of the 240GB?).

Not sure if this is the best thread (if there's a better one, I'd love to know), but I'll ask anyway.

A friend dropped my external hard drive about a week ago and I'm trying to get it working. I've got it plugged in to my laptop at the moment, and this is what I see after going to My Computer --> Manage:

But it doesn't show up in explorer... I've googled around, but can't find a situation exactly like mine. Any ideas? I don't want to lose all the data on it if I don't have to (wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but it would verrrrry inconvenient)

:(
Does that drive have any data on it you want to keep?

H4r4kiri

The possibility of cheap Windows via /r/softwareswap has gotten me excited about saving ~£50, and being under £900 makes me happy. With that in mind, what do you think?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.44 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£103.20 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£65.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£62.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (£246.94 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£78.89 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£44.98 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£11.83 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £845.01
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-12 21:58 GMT+0000)

There's your standard 4670k, 212 EVO, 840 EVO, 1TB Caviar Blue. and cheap DVD drive. Should they be fine? I haven't looked much into the 840 EVO, but it seems to be liked. And cheap.
I'll swap the green LP Vengeance for a more sightly colour that isn't listed but is the same price.
Gigabyte apparently have a nice RMA policy in the UK so they get top pickings. Is a 770 the way to go?
Could happily change the PSU, but I was recommended that before on here.
I don't know if that's a good motherboard choice, but then again, I'm not sure about what case I want. Do I go with the quiet choice in the R4, something a bit smaller and cheaper in something like the Bitfenix Shinobi, or do I go for a mini ITX board and case? Are there any good new cases on the market?

This must be at least the 4th build I've posted on here without actually buying a PC in a year or so. Don't hate me Gaf.

Almost the same rig as LordAlu build for me. As motherboard he recommended the Gigabyte Z87.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yep yep.

But, overclocking is really easy, and the chips are intended to be overclocked. It'll pay off if you play a lot of multiplayer games.

But my prodigy had a limited choice of motherboards, and my z77 doesn't support overclocking. Moving up to one that did would have been a big jump in cost, so I am not overclocking

SixFourMike, could you go for a 240GB SSD? A 120 won't get you many games installed before you run out.

Ragus

Banned
Folks, in my rig I have:

GTX 770 4GB
i5 3570 @3,4GHz

Should I think about upgrading my CPU already to keep up with new games? Isn't my CPU basically a bottleneck with this GPU?

Soodanim

Almost the same rig as LordAlu build for me. As motherboard he recommended the Gigabyte Z87.
I'll look into it, thanks.

SixFourMike, could you go for a 240GB SSD? A 120 won't get you many games installed before you run out.
I dunno, that nearly doubles the SSD price and I have some money tied up elsewhere at the moment (although I can put it off if necessary). Would it not be okay to use something like Steam Mover for whatever I'm playing at the time? I have the 1TB in there to handle the bulk of my storage, or at least that's the plan.

Thorgal

I know it differs from card to card but i was wondering if there is a general baseline of how far people have been able to OC their 780 Ti on air ?

i am curently at +50 mhz for the GPU clock and 300 mhz for the memory clock.

So far so good but i would like a target to aim for , if possible.

Akai__

if you are looking for a card for watch_dogs, it probably makes the most sense to just wait until near when the game is out. It's a nvidia partnered game so I'm betting they will probably package it with new gpu's around when its out.

I don't need both of them on day 1, so that seems like a very reasonable idea.

That's awesome. I'm glad it is still kicking! Pay it forward to another gaffer when you upgrade!

I definetely will. :)

Pachimari

My bad(I thought it was 232GB at first. No wonder why the number was odd lol). Yeah, 232GB usable space from 250GB.
Yeah, but I wonder why I only have 194GB of those 232GB - Windows 7 can't take up that much space. Do I have any old installs of Windows on it? There's a "Windows" folder on it I see.

NoRéN;104112225 said:
disable hibernate if you haven't done so.
But then it won't start up as quick it says.

mkenyon

Banned
But my prodigy had a limited choice of motherboards, and my z77 doesn't support overclocking. Moving up to one that did would have been a big jump in cost, so I am not overclocking
Z77 boards do.....
I know it differs from card to card but i was wondering if there is a general baseline of how far people have been able to OC their 780 Ti on air ?

Not a good idea to set expectations on someone else's experience. It's all silicon lottery.
still torn between R9 280x and GTX 770 :\

maybe I should just wait for a decent R9 290 non-reference card deal
Unless you are going to leverage use of G-Sync and Shadowplay, 280x is undoubtedly the better card, assuming you can get it for proper MSRP ($300).
Amazon also has it around the same http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQ8RHJ2/?tag=neogaf0e-20 For anyone who wants it outside the US.
(Does anyone have perfromance numbers on the 480GB model? does it suffer the same write speed problems of the 240GB?)
I'd say something like write speed problems on a SSD aren't really an issue. SSD fast is SSD fast.
Hibernate is a sleep state that you won't really be using. From a cold boot, you should be up and running within 10 seconds. Saving 8 of those to use hibernate (which still draws power compared to when it's off) doesn't seem like a worthwhile benefit.

Pachimari

Alright, I'll turn off Hibernate.

Though, I'm thinking of formatting my SSD, because I don't understand why there were only 194GB left of 232GB after installing Windows 7.

I also got a blue screen twice after updating from Windows Update but I guess that can be normal.

gibbsy24

You guys think its safe to have my PC about a foot and a half away from a 12 inch subwoofer? I'm a little worried the vibrations might mess up my mechanical drives.

mkenyon

Banned
Alright, I'll turn off Hibernate.

Though, I'm thinking of formatting my SSD, because I don't understand why there were only 194GB left of 232GB after installing Windows 7.

I also got a blue screen twice after updating from Windows Update but I guess that can be normal.
How big is the Windows folder?

maneil99

Z77 boards do.....

Not a good idea to set expectations on someone else's experience. It's all silicon lottery.

Unless you are going to leverage use of G-Sync and Shadowplay, 280x is undoubtedly the better card, assuming you can get it for proper MSRP ($300).

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1041?vs=1037

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/amd-radeon-r9-280x-vs-nvidia-geforce-gtx-770-which-is-fastest

I always thought it was a split between the two performance wise, ofcourse the 280x wins in $/power

maneil99

1200 +- 30 Core
7-7.4ghz Memory
Thats what the majority I see on Overclock.net, however you might have a stud or dud. Could be samble bias too sinnce those with good clocks will be more likely to share then those without.

mkenyon

Banned
280x has overclocking headroom, 3GB of memory, and a higher memory bandwidth. If you just increase the clock speed a bit, it can get neck and neck with 780s. So, it'll get better with age whereas the 770 will fall off faster. Plus the 770 is $50 more.

I think it really comes down to taking advantage of the NVIDIA proprietary tech or not.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Z77 boards do.....

Mine is a gigabyte z77n wifi. According to a review it doesn't have CPU voltage control.

Overclocking
Without CPU voltage control, we didn't expect to set any overclocking records with our Core i7-3770K. And we didn't. With a Corsair H80 water cooler bolted to the CPU and a hot-clocked Asus Radeon HD 7970 riding shotgun, we pushed the CPU to 4.5GHz without any hiccups. That was as far as she would go.

At 4.6GHz, the system booted and occasionally made it to Windows, but the blue smilie of death was soon upon us, usually followed by a crash. Unable to give the CPU more power, we quickly gave up.

We've had the same chip running 400MHz faster on other Z77-based Mini-ITX boards, albeit with extra voltage, so the Z77N-WiFi clearly left some headroom on the table. That said, we did manage a respectable 600MHz jump over the CPU's maximum Turbo speed.

So it looks like I should be able to get something out of it, but not a huge amount?

Gordeli

On the edge to move on to PC gaming with a 750Ti on a $500 rig. What do you guys think? Should I jump already? I want to to play TitanFall, Dark Souls 2 and some other chill games decently on 1080p.

kennah

Mine is a gigabyte z77n wifi. According to a review it doesn't have CPU voltage control.

So it looks like I should be able to get something out of it, but not a huge amount?
It gets a standard overclock just not an excessive one. You still gain an extra ghz. So like 25%

mr stroke

how hard is it to put together a set up like this-

Dwv0cwM.jpg

Does it take a ton of time and craftsmanship?

Loving the PC I just put together, but damn if it doesn't look like ass inside. Curious if anyone has ever put together a build like that with all the tubing and water cooling. Is it extremely hard?

TheD

The Detective
Yeah, but I wonder why I only have 194GB of those 232GB - Windows 7 can't take up that much space. Do I have any old installs of Windows on it? There's a "Windows" folder on it I see.

1. Download Spacesniffer (a very good program to show how much space files take up on your drive, including folders hidden by the OS.)
2. Just disable the hibernation file, it only has an affect if you are hibernating the system and not shutting down.
But even then, SSD boots are still really fast.

Yep

Edit: took the drive out, hooked it up internally and it doesn't show up in bios :/ I was hoping it'd work fine like that

If the BIOS can not find it, the drive is likely dead.

I'd say something like write speed problems on a SSD aren't really an issue. SSD fast is SSD fast.

Not the M500 120GB, it can only write at 130MB/s and the 240GB is also limited to 250MB/s.
Hibernate is a sleep state that you won't really be using. From a cold boot, you should be up and running within 10 seconds. Saving 8 of those to use hibernate (which still draws power compared to when it's off) doesn't seem like a worthwhile benefit.
Hibernate shuts down the system but dumps the RAM into a file (which it then loads back up into RAM).

kennah

Dwv0cwM.jpg

Loving the PC I just put together, but damn if it doesn't look like ass inside. Curious if anyone has ever put together a build like that with all the tubing and water cooling. Is it extremely hard?
Mkenyon is the resident expert.

That build right there is easily $3500 and a good month or more of work.

HiResDes

I got everything working on my rig, except the case fans. I have the fans plugged into these receivers attached to the case. But they are not working and I think I found the culprit...I can't find anywhere to attach this connector and thus left it unplugged. How\ever, now I think I may need it. I don't know where it goes, or if there is even a place for it. Any ideas?

Here is the plug:

b5vkh33.jpg

....I have a newer Gigabyte U4DH motherboard

mkenyon

Banned

As Kennah said, it still OC's, just not to super high levels. They all can put the processors at 4.2GHz without excessive voltage.

Dwv0cwM.jpg

That tubing in particular is really, really, really hard to deal with. The fittings that are required to use acrylic means that you have literally zero wiggle room when it comes to getting the bends just right. It took a friend and I basically a whole weekend to get just the tubing done on this, and we both are pretty experienced at modding:

kcsGFK4.jpg

Standard water cooling is pretty easy. I can walk you through the process if you have any questions. You can still do some really nice things with tubing as opposed to rigid acrylic. Past builds of mine:

rfBnCl.jpg

lWeM5l.jpg

94zcgl.jpg

There's also copper pipe, which is fairly complicated to do right, but is about as safe as you get when it comes to watercooling. You also get a lot more wiggle room than you would with rigid acrylic. Most recent build:

q9iVRai.jpg

Just keep in mind it's really really expensive, and can get even more expensive than it first seems very quickly.
I got everything working on my rig, except the case fans. I have the fans plugged into these receivers attached to the case. But they are not working and I think I found the culprit...I can't find anywhere to attach this connector and thus left it unplugged. How\ever, now I think I may need it. I don't know where it goes, or if there is even a place for it. Any ideas?
That's a molex connector, and it gets plugged into your power supply.

[url=http://pcpartpicker.com/p/38PST]PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $0.00
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-12 20:16 EDT-0400)[/URL]

Sooooo, much to my dismay, I am getting a PC this week (wanted to wait till mid gen cycle). Price was just to good to pass up. Price equals FREE from a friend! Now that I got that out the way, please tell me whats good.

1) Is that CPU well off this new gen? Keep in mind that I won't be over clocking it and am content playing at 1980 x 1080 resolution.
2) Which GPU do you recommend: GTX 770, GTX 780, or the Radeon series alternatives? Looking for similar performance to my PS4 or just above.

My eventual goal is to have this setup playing off a G-Sync or freesync monitor, but for now, I will be playing off my Panasonic ST3042 Plasma.

Thanks in advance.

scogoth

Just keep in mind it's really really expensive, and can get even more expensive than it first seems very quickly.

I'm the resident expert on the getting expensive stuff. Just to give you an example I spent $200 dollars on just a reservoir and pump last night to upgrade my loop.

Basic custom water loops are fun and not too too expensive if you want to make it a hobby. But if you go down the rabbit hole of, acrylic/copper tubes, sleeving, custom wiring, fan controllers, lighting controllers, aesthetic products (dinoc), etc it gets very expensive very quickly.

On a side note I have a XSPC Dual Bay D5 v2 Resevoir/Pump for sale (pump not included unless the MCP655B and MCP655 dont work together)
Price negotiable, looking for a good home more than anything. (Kennah......)

Water

Startup time is hardly the most important difference between hibernate and cold boot; hibernate allows you to power down and resume without losing the state of your work.

mkenyon

Banned
2500K is a beast processor, and will be fine through this gen. Just overclock it.

The 780 and 290/290x is where price:performance stops being acceptable. The 780Ti and Titan are both overkill.

G-Sync is vastly superior to what has been proposed of FreeSync, as G-Sync has the variable frame rate mode, can go up to 120/144Hz, and also has ULMB (ultra low motion blur), which gives you CRT-like motion quality with zero blur. That being the case, I'd recommend the 780 if it's in your budget. The 760 is good too, especially for the price.

2500K is a beast processor, and will be fine through this gen. Just overclock it.

The 780 and 290/290x is where price:performance stops being acceptable. The 780Ti and Titan are both overkill.

G-Sync is vastly superior to what has been proposed of FreeSync, as G-Sync has the variable frame rate mode, can go up to 120/144Hz, and also has ULMB (ultra low motion blur), which gives you CRT-like motion quality with zero blur. That being the case, I'd recommend the 780 if it's in your budget. The 760 is good too, especially for the price.

Thanks mann. Much appreciated.

kennah

I'm the resident expert on the getting expensive stuff. Just to give you an example I spent $200 dollars on just a reservoir and pump last night to upgrade my loop.

Basic custom water loops are fun and not too too expensive if you want to make it a hobby. But if you go down the rabbit hole of, acrylic/copper tubes, sleeving, custom wiring, fan controllers, lighting controllers, aesthetic products (dinoc), etc it gets very expensive very quickly.

On a side note I have a XSPC Dual Bay D5 v2 Resevoir/Pump for sale (pump not included unless the MCP655B and MCP655 dont work together)
Price negotiable, looking for a good home more than anything. (Kennah......)
That reservoir is bigger than my case. We Should talk about sleeving. I'm swinging through town in a couple months.

HiResDes

Okay I got everything installed properly I believe, but now I've come into yet another problem...The monitor isn't displaying anything. Does anybody have any idea what the culprit may be. The PSU seems to be working just fine.

mkenyon

Banned
Okay I got everything installed properly I believe, but now I've come into yet another problem...The monitor isn't displaying anything. Does anybody have any idea what the culprit may be. The PSU seems to be working just fine.
Did you plug it into your motherboard or video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom