• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU: AMD A10-7850K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88X-UP4 ATX FM2+ Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Western Digital RE3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Would a 480W PSU be sufficient for overclocking this setup? Would I need to buy a beefier one when I eventually get a dedicated GPU?

appaws

Banned
Folks, in my rig I have:

GTX 770 4GB
i5 3570 @3,4GHz

Should I think about upgrading my CPU already to keep up with new games? Isn't my CPU basically a bottleneck with this GPU?

I would say no to upgrading your CPU at this point. It's not worth it, especially since you will have to buy a new MOBO.

Are you having some specific problem that you think is CPU related?

Just get a nice stable overclock on that CPU and it should do you good for a while to come. I have mine running at 4.4 with a nice easy offset, and I am only using the $35 212+ for a heat sink.

So it's getting time to probably "start over fresh" but I've been purchasing parts for my current pc for about 6 years now. I just went on a little too crazy of a spending spree to completely go for broke, but what do you all think would be my best upgrade currently? I'm running into some framerate drops in Diablo 3 and some other games at max settings. I'm fine with 1080p, 60fps. Price, I'm just looking for what would be the most important upgrade. Since I only have basic understanding of computers (built this one, but that is about it) I'm not sure how to determine if there is a bottleneck or it is just the GPU.

i7 920 2.67gz (not oc'd, but It also has stock cooler).
Radeon HD 6800
9gb ram.
Some crappy old slow HD.

I have a new BenQ monitor coming in, so I'd rather things look as good as possible without having to break the bank.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I was given a Logisys PS480D2-bk. I have no idea what type of GPU I'd get. What could I safely use with that PSU?
Nothing is safe. Aw hell naw. Get a new PSU.

VP450 for budget. Up to $250 GPU.
Actually a 750Ti would probably be okay on the logisys, but it's a bad supply.

Nothing is safe. Aw hell naw. Get a new PSU.

VP450 for budget. Up to $250 GPU.
Actually a 750Ti would probably be okay on the logisys, but it's a bad supply.
LOL, gotcha. So, would it be ok to use this PSU for my build and save up to buy a new one along with a dGPU? Should I hold off on overclocking until I get a new power supply?

Christ, my PC is absolutely fucked in terms of doing anything internet-related with it. I can put this shitty old laptop right next to it, and my speed is apparently 300Mbps. The PC, with modern network adaptor is giving me 65Mbps.

Is this a problem with the adaptor? Would I get better speeds if I moved it closer to the router, or bought a more sensitive adaptor?

I feel like there's a setting in there that is bottlenecking my internet speed, but I don't have a clue where that is. Checked all the readily available internet options and even the ASUS Bios, but can't find anything about it

As it stands, I have a £1000 lump that can't really do anything except for play SP games with very high settings. When I set it up the first time, it was fine :(

scogoth

Christ, my PC is absolutely fucked in terms of doing anything internet-related with it. I can put this shitty old laptop right next to it, and my speed is apparently 300Mbps. The PC, with modern network adaptor is giving me 65Mbps.

Is this a problem with the adaptor? Would I get better speeds if I moved it closer to the router, or bought a more sensitive adaptor?

I feel like there's a setting in there that is bottlenecking my internet speed, but I don't have a clue where that is. Checked all the readily available internet options and even the ASUS Bios, but can't find anything about it

As it stands, I have a £1000 lump that can't really do anything except for play SP games with very high settings. When I set it up the first time, it was fine :(

Wireless? That's your problem

maneil99

65Mbp/s is really good, something else software wise is causing your games pings to be high

It's not clear to me what your setup is.

To attempt to clarify, are you saying you have a desktop that has a wireless card, and you're getting slow speeds compared to your laptop, which is also on wireless?

What's your router?
Do you have it set to A/B/G/N/AC or mixed? You can find this in your router's admin page.
What sort of network adapter does your laptop have?
What's the network adapter in your desktop?
Does your router have multiple WiFi endpoints (mine has two, one 2.4 GHz and one 5 GHz I can connect to)?
Have you tried or considered hooking your desktop up with an Ethernet cable instead of wireless?

Wireless can be okay given it's all setup correctly. However, it's nowhere near as simple as a hardwired connection.

*Edit*
65Mbp/s is really good, something else software wise is causing your games pings to be high

While I would agree that it's really good compared to what I personally have, if he is paying for 300 Mbps speeds, then it is not good at all.

Panzon

Which RAM should I pair with the Maximus VI Hero mobo?

Edit: Also, should I only do 8GB or 16GB? I mainly game, surf and watch shows/movies

Wireless? That's your problem

Only way I can really do wired is to use those adaptors that send the internet over the powerlines, and then I get 100Mbps with no improvement in browsing speed.

It's not clear to me what your setup is.

To attempt to clarify, are you saying you have a desktop that has a wireless card, and you're getting slow speeds compared to your laptop, which is also on wireless?

Precisely. My Dad is in charge of our TalkTalk account so I'll need his details to get the admin specs. He also has the router plugged into a BT router for some reason, not sure if that's effecting it.

What sort of network adapter does your laptop have? Atheros AR928x Wireless Network Adapter

What's the network adapter in your desktop? Asus PCE-N10 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

Have you tried or considered hooking your desktop up with an Ethernet cable instead of wireless? Answered above, but think it might be worth temporarily moving the entire PC downstair to see if I can pick up a better signal, and to get a direct Ethernet connection and seeing what that does for it.

Its like the speed its telling me I have is lower than it should be, and the actual speed I'm getting is much lower than its telling me

How do I find out about the WiFi endpoints?

Laptop:
3367025783.png

PC (wired with TP Link adaptor):
3367032055.png

PC (wireless):
3367036222.png

Slightly better downloads with a massive hit to the Ping on wireless. I don't undestand :(

edit: No idea why embedding isn't working for the PC results

mkenyon

Banned

Cable? DSL? What kind of internet connection do you have?

Bii

Got a backplate for my 780 mostly for aesthetic purposes. Not sure if it actually keeps the card a few degrees cooler nor do I actually care.

13120294855_0a389284b4_o.jpg

13120573274_01eb53091e_o.jpg

And my PC is "complete", for the most part. Got a new monitor, keyboard and mouse to go along with it. I might add another storage drive down the line.

13120293945_798d67f32a_o.jpg

13120572334_bffcfa34d7_o.jpg

I'm fortunate enough to not have any major issues with this build and I feel for those who've had to recently deal with any (hoping the best for Madridista).

BPoole

Does anyone know why installing a new GPU (in this case, an R9 290), would casue my 2500k to completely start sucking performance wise? Running the 3DMark 11 benchmark, my CPU would range between 20-30fps during the first physics test, now it can't even do 4fps.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Has anyone done an SLI build in the bitfenix prodigy M? Would love to see some pics. What's the smallest form factor you can squeeze SLI into?

So it's getting time to probably "start over fresh" but I've been purchasing parts for my current pc for about 6 years now. I just went on a little too crazy of a spending spree to completely go for broke, but what do you all think would be my best upgrade currently? I'm running into some framerate drops in Diablo 3 and some other games at max settings. I'm fine with 1080p, 60fps. Price, I'm just looking for what would be the most important upgrade. Since I only have basic understanding of computers (built this one, but that is about it) I'm not sure how to determine if there is a bottleneck or it is just the GPU.

i7 920 2.67gz (not oc'd, but It also has stock cooler).
Radeon HD 6800
9gb ram.
Some crappy old slow HD.

I have a new BenQ monitor coming in, so I'd rather things look as good as possible without having to break the bank.

That's a really good CPU. If it's the D0 stepping you should be able to overclock to 4ghz easily. I have mine running at that speed on stock voltage. Just slap on a good aftermarket cooler.

b0bbyJ03

My first PC build has been somewhat of a nightmare. I bought a GTX 780 and the clock speed was stuck on 324 MHz so I had to learn all about how video cards work and troubleshoot them (all I saw at the beginning was that it was not performing the way I had heard it would) which took a couple of days... then after trying a million drivers and vbios updates, dealing with the vendor, and manual overclocking tests i realized i couldnt fix it, had to set up an RMA, they didnt have the card in stock (this is where i thought i got lucky) so they offered me a Galaxy GTX 780 HOF edition for $440 which was an insane deal. I wait another week to get it in, its arrives, my head is about to explode with excitement, and boom! the card wont fit into my bitfenix prodigy case cause its too thick by a hair (length and height are good which are the only things that are really advertised when you look up the clearance on this case). lol. at this point im gonna just buy a saw and cut the area that is obstructing it from going in and hope everything else works. anyone else have this kind of luck?

Coreda

My first PC build has been somewhat of a nightmare. I bought a Galaxy GTX 780 HOF edition and boom! the card wont fit into my bitfenix prodigy case cause its too thick by a hair lol. at this point im gonna just buy a saw and cut the area that is obstructing it from going in and hope everything else works. anyone else have this kind of luck?

There was guy on OCN who bought an EVGA 780 Classified that turned out to be too long to fit his Hadron Air case. Had to bend/cut the side panel tabs to fit it in. Not so bad if you're willing to mod it.

Takes forever to to all the research, and it can be a hassle, so it sucks when things don't go as planned. Haven't added a card to my Hadron build yet, but now I know what fits and what doesn't.

BULLH0RN

Banned
My first PC build has been somewhat of a nightmare. I bought a GTX 780 and the clock speed was stuck on 324 MHz so I had to learn all about how video cards work and troubleshoot them (all I saw at the beginning was that it was not performing the way I had heard it would) which took a couple of days... then after trying a million drivers and vbios updates, dealing with the vendor, and manual overclocking tests i realized i couldnt fix it, had to set up an RMA, they didnt have the card in stock (this is where i thought i got lucky) so they offered me a Galaxy GTX 780 HOF edition for $440 which was an insane deal. I wait another week to get it in, its arrives, my head is about to explode with excitement, and boom! the card wont fit into my bitfenix prodigy case cause its too thick by a hair (length and height are good which are the only things that are really advertised when you look up the clearance on this case). lol. at this point im gonna just buy a saw and cut the area that is obstructing it from going in and hope everything else works. anyone else have this kind of luck?

Happened to Bullhorn once, card won't fit cos the hard drive bay, but I'de be damned if for a new case I was gonna pay. Went and bought some metal cutters, not moddin' your case is for suckers.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
it really hurts that 7970-ish cards going for $300 are considered a deal.

i want a six month do-over. 7950s went down to $180 and 7970s were around $220 at the end of last summer. i wonder what you could find 280Xs for today if the coin thing never blew up?

b0bbyJ03

There was guy on OCN who bought an EVGA 780 Classified that turned out to be too long to fit his Hadron Air case. Had to bend/cut the side panel tabs to fit it in. Not so bad if you're willing to mod it.

Takes forever to to all the research, and it can be a hassle, so it sucks when things don't go as planned. Haven't added a card to my Hadron build yet, but now I know what fits and what doesn't.

That is exactly what i have to do.. didn't know if was crazy but it seems a fair amount of people mod their cases from the responses I got. All i know is that once i laid my eyes on my new video card i knew nothing was going to separate me from it. lol.

huh, just learned that you get free shoprunner sub forever* if you tie an AMEX card. Shoprunner gives you 2 day free shipping for newegg and a bunch of other online stores... so thats worth looking into if you have an AMEX card.

If I ever upgraded to Windows 8, what would be a general expectation of my gaming performance increase?

None, or so close to nothing as to not be worthy of mention. Sub 1% basically for a less intuitive OS.

The i7-920 is a really good CPU still. Particularly with D0 stepping which you can check for with CPUz. I have mine OC'd to 4.2ghz with a Corsair h60. You could probably get the same or better with a Noctua or H100i. Both can be gotten for less than a hundred bucks and that saves you from having to buy a new CPU/mobo.

riflen

If I ever upgraded to Windows 8, what would be a general expectation of my gaming performance increase?

None, or so close to nothing as to not be worthy of mention. Sub 1% basically for a less intuitive OS.

This is correct at the moment. You may see improvements over time if developers write their renderers for DirectX 11.2 to take advantage of tiled resources and other newer features. At the moment we only have Battlefield 4 to use as comparison and the difference in that particular title is very small (< 10%).

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTM4NDk4NjcxMjBEN2Nua01mdU1fNF8yX2wuZ2lm

As Crimsonsky says, for all other current games, you will get as close to zero improvement as makes no difference.

That's a really good CPU. If it's the D0 stepping you should be able to overclock to 4ghz easily. I have mine running at that speed on stock voltage. Just slap on a good aftermarket cooler.
It's C0. :( I've heard people OC'ing it pretty well, but finding a decent aftermarket coolor for my Asus motherboard was a pain when I first looked into it. I'm still a little scared of thermal paste too. It is something I haven't done on a PC.

I also entered in the wrong gpu in my previous specs. After looking into new benchmarks though, it has fallen pretty far behind so I'm assuming it was my biggest roadblock.

KTT

Hmm. It seemed to me that the general consensus was that Windows 8 is the best OS to go with at this point. Am I mistaken? I don't mind making a few modifications to make things more user-friendly..

I've heard that file transfers and task manager are improved in Windows 8. Are there any downsides? Any reason NOT to go with Windows 8 when doing a new build?

Hmm. It seemed to me that the general consensus was that Windows 8 is the best OS to go with at this point. Am I mistaken? I don't mind making a few modifications to make things more user-friendly..

I've heard that file transfers and task manager are improved in Windows 8. Are there any downsides? Any reason NOT to go with Windows 8 when doing a new build?

You lose your integrity by not being filled with rage for their changes to a more tablet friendly environment.

The loss/change of the start menu takes some getting used to, and you need to edit some settings. But functionally it is pretty much the exact same and there is very little reason to prefer Windows 7 if you use it the same.

mkenyon

Banned

You have to patch out mouse acceleration.

http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.com/2010/03/markc-windows-7-mouse-acceleration-fix.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom