• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilive1up

That is a ridiculously stupid good price for that RAM. I don't need it but I'm thinking about buying it, haha.

Use the screws that you only have 9 of. On the back of the box of what the screws came in, there should be a picture of what came in there as well as how many. Use the ones that are labeled "M/B Screw".

yeah. thanks, i see the bag. thanks, brah. ill hopefully be done in a few hours, so i'll show you what i have. building for the first time is a bit stressful but i'm getting there...slowly.

kennah

SSD for the OS only? Apart from a faster boot, what would I get? I'm asking because I think the boot time is already really fast. I'll probably google a bit about the advantages.
Literally every single thing is faster. Programs open instantly. File searches are instant. Personally I find that boot times are one of the smaller advantages to an SSD.

[Getting Dat Gaf help With Your Desktop]
Current Specs:
CPU: Intel i5-2500k /w Corsair Hydro H60 Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072
RAM: 8GB of DDR3 1066 G.Skill Ripjaws
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231308
MOBO: Gigbyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 (LGA 1155)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128498
GPU: GeFroce GTX 560 Ti (MSI Twin Frozr)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127565
PSU: 600W GS600 Corsair
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139023
CASE: Antec (Can't remember model)
HDD: 120GB SSD Kingston Hyper X 3k for OS (windows 8.1 64-bit)
500GB 7200RPM Western Digital BLUE (Dem Bytes Storage)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136769
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239049

Budget: Willing to spend ~900-1000 dollars on Upgrades
Main Use: Gaming: 4, Gen Use: 5, Router/Switch emulation: 2
Monitor Resolution: 1080p, two acer monitors, only use one for gaming.
When will you build?: Once Dark Souls II comes out for PC
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, but I've never done it, would love some guidance!

Basically looking to make upgrades to my existing system not building a whole new one. I play a lot of steam games
and I tend play DotA 2 the most but Grab the AAA games as them come out BF4, Dark Souls, Etc.
You're pretty well set as it is. Sell your 560 for $90 and buy a 780, add another SSD for your steam library and overclock that cpu. Congrats on the good initial purchases!

Edit - you could also look into making the jump to a 120hz monitor and a nicer case if you like.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I don't understand. Why is my Chrome browser like this when I open it up every time?
It only turns back to normal when I hover the cursor above all the black spaces.

I have this same issue, so it's nothing related to your computer.

I think this is a bug within Chrome itself, but I honestly don't know for sure.

Btw, glad you have your rig up and running!

cfresh

Neo Member
Hello,

I'm a noob when it comes to building a PC. Currently, I'm upgrading a hand me down PC video card to a MSI R9 270. Does anybody have any experience overclocking this card? I want to get the most bang for buck. Any help would be great.

Pachimari

I have this same issue, so it's nothing related to your computer.

I think this is a bug within Chrome itself, but I honestly don't know for sure.

Btw, glad you have your rig up and running!

Thanks but I'm still crossing my fingers that the store will exchange my GPU (GTX 780). =/

desu

[Getting Dat Gaf help With Your Desktop]
Current Specs:

Just for more FPS, you only need to replace/upgrade your GPU, everything else won't really give you a huge bump. Replacing the 560 with a 780 will give tons of power (could also go 770 or whatever you feel ok to pay for a GPU).

Ashhong

The Office 365/ 2013 installation is like 15GB IIRC.

Well it said it's only going to use 2gb (I only installed Word, Excel and Powerpoint) and my actual freespace in my SSD didn't decrease anywhere near 10+GB...

I bought this and my PC only takes DDR2. Worst case scenario Amazon will give some kind of credit to apologize :)

Pachimari

I'm sitting here reading my temperatures but where should it be at and which of these should I look at?:

nPb7wsD.jpg

Eurocult

I did it!

After thinking on the pros and (not so many) cons of PC gaming, I decided to get one. I've built a few PCs in the past, but this is my first dedicated gaming PC. I bought all my parts at Micro Center and kept it right around a grand. I'm thinking I left myself some wiggle room for future GPU and memory upgrades. Holy shit is SSD fast.

i7 4770K 3.5GHz
Asrock Z77 Extreme4
8GB DDR3
Kingston 240GB SSD
MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 2GB GDDR5
GAIA SD1283 CPU Cooler
Fractal R4 case
EVGA 500 watt PSU
Windows 7 Home Premium
Xbox Wireless controller

I've decided I'll buy all multi-plats on PC for this gen and use my PS4 for exclusives and as a Metal Gear machine.

So far I've been playing RE4 HD (looks amazing), Stanley Parable, and Day Z (still trying to figure it out)

Well it said it's only going to use 2gb (I only installed Word, Excel and Powerpoint) and my actual freespace in my SSD didn't decrease anywhere near 10+GB...

I bought this and my PC only takes DDR2. Worst case scenario Amazon will give some kind of credit to apologize :)

Use windirstat to figure out what is taking space.

Jafku

I did it!

After thinking on the pros and (not so many) cons of PC gaming, I decided to get one. I've built a few PCs in the past, but this is my first dedicated gaming PC. I bought all my parts at Micro Center and kept it right around a grand. I'm thinking I left myself some wiggle room for future GPU and memory upgrades. Holy shit is SSD fast.

i7 4770K 3.5GHz
Asrock Z77 Extreme4
8GB DDR3
Kingston 240GB SSD
GAIA SD1283 CPU Cooler
Fractal R4 case
EVGA 500 watt PSU
Windows 7 Home Premium
Xbox Wireless controller

I've decided I'll buy all multi-plats on PC for this gen and use my PS4 for exclusives and as a Metal Gear machine.

So far I've been playing RE4 HD (looks amazing), Stanley Parable, and Day Z (still trying to figure it out)
It looks good but to be honest you could've donwgraded the cpu to a 4670k and upgrade the gpu to a 760. Do you do video encoding work? also Congrats on the build! Don't want to be rude

Ilive1up

GUoLAX4.jpg

does this look right? my psu came with vga cables, and the graphics card came with 2 8 pin adapters.

evga 650g super nova psu and a single msi 770

QP3

So to be clear, if gaming will be my main use of my next PC (along with browsing) will 8GB of RAM be plenty? Even for games in the foreseeable future?

It doesn't look bad by any means. Given how low your budget is, I'd try to look for a used machine though.
An AMD APU like that is good bang-for-the-buck initially. You might want to consider an Intel CPU even if it has a much weaker integrated GPU, because it's stronger after upgrading to a discrete GPU, and also gives you the option to upgrade to a much stronger CPU on the same socket later. Even a weak GPU would likely suffice for developing those Gamemaker games.

Also consider that very low-end desktops and very low-end laptops are much closer in power to each other than high-end machines. If upgrading is not of interest to you, a laptop might not be out of the question.
You need an operating system, yes. It can end up being a very large part of the cost of a low-end machine, unless you buy a prebuilt system that includes the OS. If you are a student, you may be able to get a very cheap or free copy of Windows; check Dreamspark and/or ask your school's IT department for instructions.

Thanks for the input everyone... I'll have to mull it over. I'm already coding on a laptop I got two years ago and it is serviceable but chugs at times... Then again I do put it through a lot of processing at once often.

PFD

I did it!

i7 4770K 3.5GHz
Asrock Z77 Extreme4
8GB DDR3
Kingston 240GB SSD
GAIA SD1283 CPU Cooler
Fractal R4 case
EVGA 500 watt PSU
Windows 7 Home Premium
Xbox Wireless controller

I would've gone for a 750 Ti, or better yet a 760. What resolution do you game at?

You already have pretty much everything you need right now, but for sure, overclock that 2500K. It'll help with Dota2 and BF4 multiplayer. There are tons of guides all over the net.

Does your 560 Ti feel slow? Are you okay with turning down the settings on your games? I think that's the place to upgrade if you're gonna upgrade anything. Might wanna stick another SSD in there if the current one is getting full?

Other than the GPU, your current build looks fine.

Yeah Definitely going to look at some guides to Overclock the 2500k.

I was thinking of getting a GTX 770, but to be honest I haven't have to turn down my games all too much. Still medium to high settings. When I played tomb raider some of the water/rain graphics really hit my system hard had to turn them down a bit.

Literally every single thing is faster. Programs open instantly. File searches are instant. Personally I find that boot times are one of the smaller advantages to an SSD.

You're pretty well set as it is. Sell your 560 for $90 and buy a 780, add another SSD for your steam library and overclock that cpu. Congrats on the good initial purchases!

Edit - you could also look into making the jump to a 120hz monitor and a nicer case if you like.

Thanks! Yeah I think a GTX 770 or 780 would be the upgrade I'm looking at now.

Selling the 560 for 90$? Any suggestions how where to sell it at?

Ilive1up

welp i turned it on.

no image on the screen and the cpu fan isn't spinning.

my case fans are running, the gfx card fans are running. ugh.

any help?

rizzo0

I don't understand. Why is my Chrome browser like this when I open it up every time?

It only turns back to normal when I hover the cursor above all the black spaces.

Try resetting the theme back to the default theme under the settings menu. That seemed to work for me.

Hi PC GAF, this is my first question to the experts around here since I have heard different opinions on this.

Is the new 270x 4GB worth the money to upgrade from my 570 1.25GB? I would like to upgrade for the upcoming games and I am considering the money/power ratio.

Thanks

LilJoka

GUoLAX4.jpg

does this look right? my psu came with vga cables, and the graphics card came with 2 8 pin adapters.

evga 650g super nova psu and a single msi 770

You dont need to use the adapter its merely an extender. The PSU should have a 6pin PCIE/VGA and 8pin PCIE/VGA plug that fits into the GPU. Remember all PSU cables only fit where they are meant to fit.

Edit
By the looks of it that GPU needs 2x8pin plugs, so one of unless you have 2x8Pin PCIE/VGA connectors from your PSU, one of the 6pin PCIE/VGA cables will need the adaptor to convert to 8Pin.

Super odd choice from MSI considering my GTX 780 uses 6pin and 8pin.

LilJoka

welp i turned it on.

no image on the screen and the cpu fan isn't spinning.

my case fans are running, the gfx card fans are running. ugh.

any help?

Double check
- 4/8 Pin CPU Power plug connected
- CPU Heatsink 3/4pin Fan Header plugged into CPU Fan Header port

Both ports located on the motherboard near the CPU Socket.

Hi PC GAF, this is my first question to the experts around here since I have heard different opinions on this.

Is the new 270x 4GB worth the money to upgrade from my 570 1.25GB? I would like to upgrade for the upcoming games and I am considering the money/power ratio.

Thanks

270X is a little faster than a 580. I would say it's not a significant upgrade.

These cards are significant:

GTX 660Ti
HD7950
GTX 760
HD7950 Boost
R9 280 non-X

From slowest to fastest if I haven't messed up somewhere.

these should also be sub-300 dollars

Also, the "extra VRAM" models are generally not worth it outside of the few outlying games which don't use make efficient use of VRAM. A grand total of two of the top of my head: Titanfall with Insane settings and heavily modded Skyrim. Not exactly worth the extra money imo.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Double check
- 4/8 Pin CPU Power plug connected
- CPU Heatsink 3/4pin Fan Header plugged into CPU Fan Header port

Both ports located on the motherboard near the CPU Socket.

When I had this problem, I took the ram and all of the pci cards (gpu etc) out and then plugged them back in and it worked

Try starting it with only one stick of ram and no PCI cards in and see if it posts.

Ilive1up

i have the evga super nova 650g.

the cpu connecter, the 24 pin one is connected to the mobo.

the 8 pin one is too, but it's split 4 and 4. and i idk why.

LilJoka

the boot device led is red.

At this point you should get something on the display, check the GPU. Make sure its fully pushed into the PCIE slot, dont be afraid to use a little force. Then make sure that the Power Connectors of your GPU are fully occupied by the PSU cables. If it has 2x6pin connectors, both must be connected.

Edit
Is the CPU Fan spinning now?

Also as mentioned earlier, try re-seating the RAM.

Ilive1up

At this point you should get something on the display, check the GPU. Make sure its fully pushed into the PCIE slot, dont be afraid to use a little force. Then make sure that the Power Connectors of your GPU are fully occupied by the PSU cables. If it has 2x6pin connectors, both must be connected.

Edit
Is the CPU Fan spinning now?

Also as mentioned earlier, try re-seating the RAM.

the msi gtx 770 has 2 8 pin connectors on it. so i used the adapters that came with it and connected it to the psu. the card starts up and the fans spin so it must be getting power.

Bii

the msi gtx 770 has 2 8 pin connectors on it. so i used the adapters that came with it and connected it to the psu. the card starts up and the fans spin so it must be getting power.

Is your DVI/HDMI/whatever you're using to hook up to your display attached to the graphics card and not the motherboard itself?

Edit: Is your CPU cooler's fan connected to the motherboard?

Ilive1up

Is your DVI/HDMI/whatever you're using to hook up to your display attached to the graphics card and not the motherboard itself?

i have taken out the graphics card for now.

i just booted it on, and it goes right to boot device red. cpu fan still not running.

my cpu cooler fan is connected to cpu_fan.

Hmm, I just started up WinDirStat, and it says I last changed my SSD in year 2068, wouldn't this imply that I didn't format it before use?

It also says OS is 28GB.

You have a massive amount of ".sys" and ".dll" files, not sure if that is normal or not.

My Win 8.1 64bit install has 1001.1 MB of sys files (958 files) and 11.9 GB of dll files (21,396 files)

Entire Windows directory is 13.5 GB

Pachimari

Start Menu -> Type cmd -> Right-Click the cmd Icon -> Run as Administrator -> Type powercfg -h off -> Type exit

Okay, so I just did this. Should this free up space on the SSD or are there files I need to delete manually as well?

And can it be turned on by this command: powercfg -h on ?

You have a massive amount of ".sys" and ".dll" files, not sure if that is normal or not.

My Win 8.1 64bit install has 1001.1 MB of sys files (958 files) and 11.9 GB of dll files (21,396 files)

Entire Windows directory is 13.5 GB

I guess I should format the drive then.

Ilive1up

AW SHT

that was the problem the whole fucking time.

the bloody wires were in the way of the fan.

image popped up on the screen. cpu fan error. should i just restart?

IN THE BIOS! woooo! still says boot device led red though.

ok so now im in. this is a nice bios. ummm. boot device should be set to optical drive first right? cuz i have windows 7 on a disc. right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom