• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bii

question though. now that i have taken out my graphics card. installing it back in later shouldn't be a problem right?

Not at all. Just make sure you connect whatever video cable you're using into the graphics card as oppose to the motherboard.

Mohasus

Okay, so I just did this. Should this free up space on the SSD or are there files I need to delete manually as well?

And can it be turned on by this command: powercfg -h on ?

I guess I should format the drive then.

Yes it can. Hibernate (-h) copies your RAM to HDD, so if you have 8GB RAM, it'll create a 8GB file.

Maybe you have a big swap file too (windows uses your HDD when there isn't more RAM available). But you shouldn't need it with 8GB or more (I keep it at 512MB though). You can check it on Windows + Pause/Break, Advanced System Settings, Advanced tab, Performance Settings.., Advanced tab again.

Doubt you need to format the drive, you'll probably have the same results.

IceIpor

Okay, so I just did this. Should this free up space on the SSD or are there files I need to delete manually as well?

And can it be turned on by this command: powercfg -h on ?

I guess I should format the drive then.

Hibernate copies your RAM to HDD, you don't need to delete manually if you used powercfg -h off.

Doubt you need to format the drive, you'll probably have the same results.

Couldn't his hibernation file (that he just disabled) be why the OS seemed bloated?

IceIpor

yeah it's spinning, just stock intel cooler.

Hmm.. I'm unsure about stock coolers, so...

It's giving you the error because it's unable to determine the speed the fan is running at.

If it's just a 2-pin power connector for the fan, I would turn off the error notification on the BIOS.
2-pins just run at 100% all the time, without any feedback to the mobo/computer.

In which case you're fine, because it is running.

Ok....here's the important stats of my rig

i5 2500k
8gig ram
gtx 560 ti

I started pc gaming more lately because I kinda got pissed that next gen wasn't having BC and I figure getting games through steam, I will most likely have BC forever for the most part. anyways, SO I have been pc gaming alot more now, especially since I can run things to my HDtv if I want to. lately as I have been getting more games on steam, I have noticed that I am getting some weird screen tearing on "light effects." like for instance, in Metro 2033, When I shoot a gun, the everytime the light from the gun pops out there's tearing.

and certain light sources, when I scroll by it, there's tearing.

I had adaptive vysnc enabled, triple buffering enabled, and threading enabled through Nvidia settings.

With that said, When i force vsync on completely, that tearing goes away for the most part.

But I thought with adaptive vsync I shouldn't have tearing issues?

I have about a few more weeks before it goes out of warranty. is there something wrong with my card or is it working as intended? some people I know in RL are saying I shouldn't be having that issue, thus why I am presenting this question to gaf experts before I attempt to RMA it.

Ilive1up

more questions!

i plugged in an ethernet cord but i can't access the internet. how can i remedy this? i thought i could just plop in the cord and go on the internet.

scogoth

78Y1WBo.jpg

i just unplugged those. but thats' where they go. any idea why it's split like that?

Because in the P4 days it was 4 pin then it became 8 pin and some motherboards have 12/16 pins for the CPU. It will work with 4 but better 8

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I know you guys said to not care about my SSD usage, but I've been watching Samsung Magician, and over a day my "Total Bytes Written" went up .02 TB, 20GB. There is no way that I wrote that much in a day. Only big thing I did was install Microsoft office which is like 2gb. My used space hasnt changed by 20gb either.

All I do on this is browse the internet, play League of Legends, and shows and movies that I download onto a secondary internal harddrive. Any idea what could be causing the big increase?
Like I said you're fine for 10-30 years on normal use. Writes involve caching, lots of tiny data movement for OS files, temp stuff, etc.
20GB is normal, that was my first day of use as well.

From Anandtech (Conservative Lifetimes, double them):
VPOgJW5.png

Hello,

I'm a noob when it comes to building a PC. Currently, I'm upgrading a hand me down PC video card to a MSI R9 270. Does anybody have any experience overclocking this card? I want to get the most bang for buck. Any help would be great.
GPU OC is super easy just use MSI Afterburner and any GPU overclocking guide (aka raise stuff until it errors)
the boot device led is red.
more questions!

i plugged in an ethernet cord but i can't access the internet. how can i remedy this? i thought i could just plop in the cord and go on the internet.
Highly suggest reading your motherboard manual.

Install your driver CD with your motherboard.

Dawg

So, since I overclocked my CPU... I started getting CPU fan errors while booting. I know it's a common thing and I'm not surprised because my noctua cooler is one of those low RPM models.

I don't understand why it started happening after OC'ing though. It's not just the error either, my fan goes berserk mode when I boot my PC and it only goes quiet after about a minute or two after I'm already on my desktop.

I'm going to figure the BIOS doesn't recognize my CPU FAN when booting or the fan is too slow and it's sending the full 12V to my cpu fan? Noise is damn unbearable. Luckily, it goes quiet again but it still sucks.

Ok....here's the important stats of my rig

i5 2500k
8gig ram
gtx 560 ti

I started pc gaming more lately because I kinda got pissed that next gen wasn't having BC and I figure getting games through steam, I will most likely have BC forever for the most part. anyways, SO I have been pc gaming alot more now, especially since I can run things to my HDtv if I want to. lately as I have been getting more games on steam, I have noticed that I am getting some weird screen tearing on "light effects." like for instance, in Metro 2033, When I shoot a gun, the everytime the light from the gun pops out there's tearing.

and certain light sources, when I scroll by it, there's tearing.

I had adaptive vysnc enabled, triple buffering enabled, and threading enabled through Nvidia settings.

With that said, When i force vsync on completely, that tearing goes away for the most part.

But I thought with adaptive vsync I shouldn't have tearing issues?

I have about a few more weeks before it goes out of warranty. is there something wrong with my card or is it working as intended? some people I know in RL are saying I shouldn't be having that issue, thus why I am presenting this question to gaf experts before I attempt to RMA it.

Adaptive VSync drops VSync whenever your performance would drop below VSync levels. Instead of dropping to the next VSync interval.

VSync intervals are at 60 FPS, 30 FPS, and 15 FPS for a 60Hz monitor. So you can see where adaptive VSync will come in handy-- instead of dropping to 30 FPS from 60 FPS, you instead turn VSync off and drop somewhere in between, hopefully much closer to 60 FPS.

Another thing you can do is enable triple buffered VSync. This has the downside of adding an extra frame of input lag, but lets the frame rate wheel about as much as it likes without dropping VSync.

Please note, that with triple buffered VSync, if your frame rate is odd in relation to the refresh rate, you'll get some slightly noticeable "hitching" when certain frames are duplicated to fit into your refresh rate.

One way to enable triple buffered VSync if the game you play doesn't support it is to run it in windowed mode, since the desktop is always running with triple buffer enabled. Full screen windowed mode is an option too.

Adaptive VSync drops VSync whenever your performance would drop below VSync levels. Instead of dropping to the next VSync interval.

VSync intervals are at 60 FPS, 30 FPS, and 15 FPS for a 60Hz monitor. So you can see where adaptive VSync will come in handy-- instead of dropping to 30 FPS from 60 FPS, you instead turn VSync off and drop somewhere in between, hopefully much closer to 60 FPS.

Another thing you can do is enable triple buffered VSync. This has the downside of adding an extra frame of input lag, but lets the frame rate wheel about as much as it likes without dropping VSync.

Please note, that with triple buffered VSync, if your frame rate is odd in relation to the refresh rate, you'll get some slightly noticeable "hitching" when certain frames are duplicated to fit into your refresh rate.

One way to enable triple buffered VSync if the game you play doesn't support it is to run it in windowed mode, since the desktop is always running with triple buffer enabled. Full screen windowed mode is an option too.

thanks. But do you think my Card is having issues? being that the tearing effect is just happening with certain light sources?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So, since I overclocked my CPU... I started getting CPU fan errors while booting. I know it's a common thing and I'm not surprised because my noctua cooler is one of those low RPM models.

I don't understand why it started happening after OC'ing though. It's not just the error either, my fan goes berserk mode when I boot my PC and it only goes quiet after about a minute or two after I'm already on my desktop.

I'm going to figure the BIOS doesn't recognize my CPU FAN when booting or the fan is too slow and it's sending the full 12V to my cpu fan? Noise is damn unbearable. Luckily, it goes quiet again but it still sucks.
TMK different mobos have different minimum RPM for the error to go off.

I think I had to raise my minimum to like 40% fan speed so it didn't trip at like 500RPM or something.

thanks. But do you think my Card is having issues? being that the tearing effect is just happening with certain light sources?

If it's not artifacting, then it's just that whatever those light sources are represent an increase in the load on the GPU, which makes the adaptive vsync turn off to compensate.

Try lowering the settings to see if it goes away. I would just run triple buffering though.

LilJoka

more questions!

Best advice ever: Throw motherboard CD in the bin. Never ever use it.

Use another PC, go to the manufacturers website and download these drivers to get you going:

Chipset
Management Engine
LAN
Wifi/Blutooth
USB 3.0

Check device manager to install any other devices.

diaspora

I switched over from AMD to Intel, and I didn't have to re-install Windows 8.1 since apparently everything works fine (just need to re-activate windows). Did I fuck up or...?

NoRéN

I switched over from AMD to Intel, and I didn't have to re-install Windows 8.1 since apparently everything works fine (just need to re-activate windows). Did I fuck up or...?

nope. Just call them up and they will walk you through it. If they ask why you need to reactivate say your mobo crapped out and had to RMA or something. Easy.

LilJoka

meh just going to use the cd. it's goin fine for now.

Not sure what motherboard you have, but CD drivers can be years out of date and cause numerous issues. Its highly recommended to use the latest drivers, especially for chipset and ME as these control the communication of the on board components, and the ME has special functionality over the CPU management (C States etc).
If you have no option, install chipset and LAN, then go to the website and download latest versions and install over the top.

MooMoo

Is a multimonitor setup as easy as just plugging in a second monitor to your graphics card? Or is it more overly complicated than that?

diaspora

NoRéN;104649378 said:
nope. Just call them up and they will walk you through it. If they ask why you need to reactivate say your mobo crapped out and had to RMA or something. Easy.

I just said that I switched CPUs and they reactivated for me. While I'd prefer to be able to choose install machines (i.e. Office 365), MS support is pretty good.

Dawg

TMK different mobos have different minimum RPM for the error to go off.

I think I had to raise my minimum to like 40% fan speed so it didn't trip at like 500RPM or something.

Weird thing is, when I go to the BIOS fan monitor, it says the fan is going at 579RPM or something and it's stated in red like it's a bad thing.

NoRéN

I swapped motherboards earlier this year and it just worked. Didn't need to reactivate or anything :|

Not sure if a student copy changes that though.
I had to swap for the same type of motherboard and had to reactivate. Weird.
Weird thing is, when I go to the BIOS fan monitor, it says the fan is going at 579RPM or something and it's stated in red like it's a bad thing.

Depending on the warning set up, it could be because the bios is saying that it's too low. If the warning is set for <500rpm, that could be why it's in red. As in, it's too close to the minimum. Like Haz said, lower the minimum.

Flaxh

Fractal Define R4
i5 3570k
Hyper 212 EVO
Asus P8Z77-V LK
2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP CL9 1600Mhz
WD Caviar Blue 1TB
Asus GTX 770 2GB
XFX Pro 650W Core

This is the build I bought last June based on the recommendations from all the great guys in this thread.

Now that the PC is almost completing his 1st birthday, I'd like to know if there's anything in particular I should do regarding his maintenance. I haven't opened and cleaned it yet but I'm planning on doing it soon and I wonder if there's a recommended equipment to do so.

Also, I've been playing TItanfall lately and I noticed that the games uses all the GPU ram and that reminded me of the discussions about the need of extra ram for nextgen games. I googled new cards and found a version of mine with 4GB. Should I try to sell mine and upgrade?

My rig doesnt have an SSD because I chose not to buy it at the time and wait for a price drop but it looks like the prices are still the same. Should I buy one now or keep waiting?

I wanna thank all the people that helped me achieve this build because I couldn't be happier with the PC so far.

Looking for a reply.

LilJoka

Looking for a reply.

SSD will make the OS feel far snappier, no waiting for loading of any programs, and the OS will be ready to go as soon as it boots.

Titanfall seems to eat VRam for no reason, probably due to poor optimisation, so i wouldnt go out and buy a 4GB GPU any time soon. In fact if i was you, id wait till the middle of the GTX 8xx or start of GTX 9xx series to upgrade the GPU.

Tablo

Get an SSD, as big as you can afford, I recommend the Crucial M500 line.
Your 770 2GB is fine, maybe just ride it out until 20nm/16nm Maxwell next year. Or if you can sell it and maybe grab a 780 that could be good.

Looking for a reply.

There is no difference between high and insane on most textures so don't bother upgrading your GPU just for Titanfall. Most games shouldn't run into the same issues, Titanfall is unique because it's a "next gen" game that doesn't use tiled resources so it is very heavy on the vram for no reason. If you're into Skyrim modding though 4gb may come in handy. And if Titanfall gets a community texture mod (and my god does it need it), then it might come in handy then too.

As for cleaning, I prefer to use a paintbrush to brush dust off the heatsinks instead of just blowing air at it, then clean it up with a handvac.

And the SSD, I would wait until they go on sale. I bought a 512GB SSD last year for 200 bux which I thought was okay. I personally would wait until they're in the same ballpark to make the jump. Smaller SSDs are too restrictive for me personally, I like to keep my most played games on it, and games are getting really big lately.

There is no difference between high and insane on most textures so don't bother upgrading your GPU just for Titanfall. Most games shouldn't run into the same issues, Titanfall is unique because it's a "next gen" game that doesn't use tiled resources so it is very heavy on the vram for no reason. If you're into Skyrim modding though 4gb may come in handy. And if Titanfall gets a community texture mod (and my god does it need it), then it might come in handy then too.

Titanfall is rather CPU heavy, and a GTX770 will run out of processing power before VRAM becomes a bottleneck. A 4GB variation of that card is an incredible waste of money.

Titanfall is rather CPU heavy, and a GTX770 will run out of processing power before VRAM becomes a bottleneck. A 4GB variation of that card is an incredible waste of money.

No, the "Insane" texture setting uses 3GB of VRAM and causes issues on cards that have less than that, even though it doesn't impact performance otherwise. I may be behind the curve on these issues though since my card isn't subject to them

Tabris

Hey everyone. I need advice. I need a 30-40" monitor / tv to go on my desk.

The requirements are:

1) As low response time as possible, while still ensuring #2 is met.
2) It has to look good (all of these ASUS / DELL / etc monitors look like garbage)
3) If it can be 2560 x 1440, that's even better, but I haven't seen any that match with #2 except Thunderbolt Display which suffers from lack of apple updates.
4) It will be hooking up to an Apple Macbook Pro through HDMI or display link/thunderbolt.

Price isn't an object (within reason - nothing above $2-3k). What do you recommend?

Ilive1up

what are some good free antivirus programs?

i haven't had a windows PC in ages.

apple guy since like 2007, but i'm back to windows now.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

AFAIK the stock set of tools with Windows 7 / 8 is pretty good as long as you keep it updated.
I've been running just the stock essentials since I bought my laptop ~1.5 years ago, and I haven't had a virus or malware yet.
No idea if that's a good thing or a bad thing....

-Deimos

I use the Avast and MalwareBytes combo and I've never gotten a virus. It also helps that I have a brain and can use common sense, i.e. it's not hard to avoid viruses/malware.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I got a wireless 360 controller from the $9 Microsoft offer for students. Cheapest option for hooking this up to my PC?

delirium

Anyone know the difference between a EVGA 780 Classified vs a normal EVGA besides one is factory overclocked and the other isn't? If I plan to OC, would it be cheaper for me to get a normal one over a Classified?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom