• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
huh, classified 780's are just $530... is there any reason not to get that over other 580s with that price?

classified are more for water cooling though i thought, but i assume you can still get a decent OC off air?

Tablo

Hello, I am close to building a new mid-high end machine and while I've already mostly decided what I want, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do with Haswell as I noticed a recurring issue that seemed to pop up on overclocking guides and forums without a truly definitive solution that had me concerned about actually building a machine with one. The maximum voltage set by the user in a mobo's BIOS seems to be completely overridden by the chips' integrated voltage regulator in adaptive mode once they use AVX instructions (subjecting the chip to both uncomfortable voltage and heat levels) and I find that unacceptable. As I understand it, the only solution is to, instead, override adaptive voltage manually, but this forces a constant, single voltage value which is not good for long-term power-savings and longevity of the CPU as the higher voltage would then apply even when the CPU is idle. Am I missing something or how does everyone manage to stomach this?

I'm honestly contemplating just saving myself the headache and investing in a z77 mobo (I am aware of the advantages of z87 platform, but first and foremost, I must be satisfied with the microprocessor itself) and Ivy Bridge chip instead. How are you fellow overclockers managing this issue? I built a machine with a 3570K for some family members recently and found that the chip responded well to overclocking with very little trouble. In contrast to what I've read about Haswell's poor OC reliability/consistency, voltage issues (mostly this), and introduction of plenty more BIOS variables, I'm having some difficulty feeling secure in a mainstream Haswell purchase. It really bothers me.
No, go Haswell/Z87.

jonno394

Had my first crash since building at the start of Feb. System completely locked up during Tomb Raider with ultimate settings.. No idea why. Rebooted and played for another two hours and no more crashes, so can't have been a temp or power issue :/ Might have just been a one off.

How can I check the temperature of my PC? And the same with FPS in games?

To monitor FPS use a programme like FRAPS which can put an overlay on top of the game in one of the corners which shows the FPS.

To check the temperature use a piece of software like CPUID HWmonitor. It's what I use.

Pachimari

Had my first crash since building at the start of Feb. System completely locked up during Tomb Raider with ultimate settings.. No idea why. Rebooted and played for another two hours and no more crashes, so can't have been a temp or power issue :/ Might have just been a one off.

To monitor FPS use a programme like FRAPS which can put an overlay on top of the game in one of the corners which shows the FPS.

To check the temperature use a piece of software like CPUID HWmonitor. It's what I use.

Thanks, I'm gonna look into this right away.

But first, is it normal there aren't any screws in a HDD enclosure? Since yesterday I have tried to open one, so that I can install the HDD internally in my computer but can't for the life of me open the enclosure.

It's something like the Seagate Backup Plus Desktop I'm trying to open.

EDIT:
I found a YouTube video.

BladeSinner

Neo Member
About to start putting together my build....I am not a huge fan of Windows 8. Is there ANY reason I should consider it instead of Windows 7? FYI I will need to purchase them no matter which I decide to go with.

Thanks!

QP3

Well, they are brands and models. But you can't buy a GeForce card straight from Nvidia, you buy one from MSI or Asus or whoever. They're the ones that put on all the extras (cooling, different ports, over clocking, etc).

Honestly I never thought about it before, why don't we buy cards straight from Nvidia and AMD?

Thanks for the reply.

So is it mostly a compatibility thing? Or, what is the difference between an Asus GeForce and an EVGA GeFore? Mostly preference/performance?

Would there be a significant benefit doing a crossfire between a R280 and a R265?

Edit: Upon reading, it seems as though my interpretation of Crossfire was off. I thought as long as it was crossfire compatible and the same Chipset Manufacturer, but is crossfire only for multiples of the same GPU?

About to start putting together my build....I am not a huge fan of Windows 8. Is there ANY reason I should consider it instead of Windows 7? FYI I will need to purchase them no matter which I decide to go with.

Thanks!

Well, a new DirectX will be Windows 8 exclusive, Battlefield 4 runs better on Windows 8. It has some nice features. It boots and acts faster. It will be supported longer and you can use it basically the same as you use Windows 7.

Ok, so I've been doing my own PC builds since the early 90's, and I have never run into the weirdness I'm currently having with a budget build I'm doing for my daughter. For reference, here are the parts I'm using:

Motherboard: MSI B85-G41
Hard drive: Seagate 2TB
RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2x4 dual channel)
CPU: i3-4130
Case: Thermaltake V3 Black
DVD Drive: LG
Video Card: Tried multiple, even on board
PSU: Enermax 450

Now that I've outlined all that, let me explain the issue. It won't post. Well, at least not where I can see. The case freaked me out at first, because it has the MB "risers" built in, in that there is a single riser then raised spaces on the case you just screw into. Everything I saw said this was right, but screwing directly into the case seemed pretty fucking weird, but I just went with it. Got everything hooked up, did a power on at work (built it after hours, less dog hair there) and nothing exploded, no error beeps, and everything that derived power from the motherboard was getting power, so it wasn't shorting out. Phew.

Get home, do a hard drive swap (I replaced my 2TB with a 4TB SSHD) and got that put into this system. Go to boot it. Everything powers on. No video. No error beeps. This was with a 4890 I had laying around. Switched to a 4850. Same thing. Try the on board video. Nada. Everything still powers up and stays powered up (including things like the CPU and System fans which are plugged into the MB slots) so I think maybe the RAM is in the wrong slots. Try different slots. Same thing again. Maybe the speaker isn't working, switch the one from the case with the one that came with the MB. Nope. Time to start unplugging things and trying.

All SATA devices unplugged: Same result
Various front panel things: Nope
RAM: Get error beeps (still no video)

Wut? Put the RAM back in, no error beeps, same result as before. Try each stick individually, same as before. Try no RAM again, error beeps.

I'm really confused as to what is going on here. As I said, I've not encountered anything like this before. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sofa King

So, finished my build a couple weeks back and it has been running great.

4670k, 760 card, 8 gb ram, 1 gb had, 256 ssd (so installed on this).

Today, I noticed some really laggy performance on games and after briefly freaking out, I looked in the task manager and when doing something the disk goes to 99-100%. Googling this kind of lays the blame on win 8.1. Anybody seen this and what is the suggested way about rectifying this.

Any help would be great!

Hesemonni

Banned
Gaf, EVGA GTX 770 ACX to replace my old trusty GTX 570? It usually retails for ~340€ around here, but I could get it for 240€. Jay or nay? I game at 1080p.

I'm really tempted since 800-series is nowhere in sight and it'd give me an excuse to partially upgrade my rig :) Mainly GPU and PSU which is measly 500W Corsair. I already sport a 2500k CPU.

maneil99

So, finished my build a couple weeks back and it has been running great.

4670k, 760 card, 8 gb ram, 1 gb had, 256 ssd (so installed on this).

Today, I noticed some really laggy performance on games and after briefly freaking out, I looked in the task manager and when doing something the disk goes to 99-100%. Googling this kind of lays the blame on win 8.1. Anybody seen this and what is the suggested way about rectifying this.

Any help would be great!

Are you doing something in the background? What is the task called.

maneil99

huh, classified 780's are just $530... is there any reason not to get that over other 580s with that price?

classified are more for water cooling though i thought, but i assume you can still get a decent OC off air?

Ge the classified. The reason they are used for WC is because they are higher binned cards ( Cards with the best Overclock potential )

jiggles

Banned
Got mah Air 540 and RM-1000 today. Coming from this Antec 900 with ungodly Xigmatek semi-modular 650W PSU:
bixpze4iuaa_kc5cjsh0.jpg

The power cables are heaving against the glass. They want to burst forth. And who could blame them? If I was in a place like this, I'd want to get the fuck out as soon as I could:

I gutted the machine, and shoved all my old components in any old way so I can sell it as a (nearly) complete PC. Somehow looked no worse than before:

Couple of fun hours later, I was done. I really love how this case is designed. The tool-less bays for everything are great, but having the messy power chamber at the back:

...and the tidy and spacious main compartment at the front:

...is just such a step up from what I had to deal with before. It even looks great, imo:

So, yeah, no regrets. I love it. :D

Hey guys I need some help!!. I want to buy or build a new PC but i am torn between buying it from a website such as cyberpowerpc or build my own. I know it's not rocket science to build one (i've upgraded parts before) but sometimes I am afraid to screw up something. My bugdet is $2000, is it enough to buy a computer able to run the upcoming next gen games???Any advice is appreciatted!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys I need some help!!. I want to buy or build a new PC but i am torn between buying it from a website such as cyberpowerpc or build my own. I know it's not rocket science to build one (i've upgraded parts before) but sometimes I am afraid to screw up something. My bugdet is $2000, is it enough to buy a computer able to run the upcoming next gen games???Any advice is appreciatted!!!!!!!!!

I am going to put the same amount of effort in and say: Yes.

kiyomi

Check the OP.

drexplora

Gaf, EVGA GTX 770 ACX to replace my old trusty GTX 570? It usually retails for ~340€ around here, but I could get it for 240€. Jay or nay? I game at 1080p.

I'm really tempted since 800-series is nowhere in sight and it'd give me an excuse to partially upgrade my rig :) Mainly GPU and PSU which is measly 500W Corsair. I already sport a 2500k CPU.

Sounds like a nice deal.
Id say go ahead and do it!
I had a 570gtx and upgraded to a 680gtx 2GB and got some nice gains!
My 680GTX runs at 70c under load fans around 70-75% clocked at 1059mhz and boosts to 1188mhz. Paired with my i7 870 oc'd @3.5ghz and 8gb of RAM, haven't found a title I cant max @1920x1440

TheDanger

Banned
I cleaned my pc, there was a shitload of dust in my cpu cooler. Now I'm getting 35 - 45 degrees in idle (I got 60 before). If I run Prime 95 it still exceeds 85 degrees though so the speed decreases to 1,33 GHz until I reboot again. Can anyone recommend a great fan for am3+? I got the stock one on there, no OC. CPU is an AMD FX-4100.

Ghizz

Just built my PC! Any recommended games to make me fall even more in love with my machine?

GTX 760,
i3-4130 ( i know...)
8gb ram

Ty4on

I cleaned my pc, there was a shitload of dust in my cpu cooler. Now I'm getting 35 - 45 degrees in idle (I got 60 before). If I run Prime 95 it still exceeds 85 degrees though so the speed decreases to 1,33 GHz until I reboot again. Can anyone recommend a great fan for am3+? I got the stock one on there, no OC. CPU is an AMD FX-4100.

What does your motherboard look like? I don't think the temps is the reason it throttles because then the frequency would go back up when it cooled down.

Edit: AMD FX CPUs throttling is a common problem for various reasons. I also think the temp sensor shows the wrong temperature which is why 70 is too high (when it throttles) while it's completely safe for any other chip.
Maybe because the numbers would be stupidly high otherwise and scare everyone away from AMD :p
Just built my PC! Any recommended games to make me fall even more in love with my machine?

GTX 760,
i3-4130 ( i know...)
8gb ram

Planetside 2 is big and can seem complicated, but free and really awesome.

Pachimari

Something I don't understand. Why can't I find a resolution which fits my HDTV? My tv is 1080p but when I choose this resolution on my PC, it cuts off some of the screen and if I try other resolutions there'll be black bars around the screen. It was like this on my old desktop as well. Why is that?

jiggles

Banned
Something I don't understand. Why can't I find a resolution which fits my HDTV? My tv is 1080p but when I choose this resolution on my PC, it cuts off some of the screen and if I try other resolutions there'll be black bars around the screen. It was like this on my old desktop as well. Why is that?

It's the overscan on your TV. Some TVs have an option to turn it off. I think it was called "True Pixel" in one of the ones I owned and "Just Scan" in another.

NoRéN

AMD video card? If so you can fix that using CCC.

GTX 760,
i3-4130 ( i know...)
8gb ram

Graphically? Indie games? Free?

Metro Last Light is one of the best looking games, and pretty fun too. The Witcher 2 also still looks great and is amazing.

Ty4on

I have an ASUS M5A78L-M with a be quiet 350W PSU, Nvidia GTX 550 TI and 8 GB RAM

I see... Check VRM temps because I'm quite certain that is throttling your CPU. That board has four pin power and 4+1 power phase. You can buy cooling pads to put on top of the mosfets.
SAPPHIRE-29.jpg
a_thermalright_mosfet_coolers_instaled_pic.jpg

Thankfully Asus boards throttle when the mosfets overheat instead of exploding :p

The CPU cooler can also really help so i'd make sure there is a lot of air hitting them. If you replace the cooler I'd recommend a bigger downdraft cooler. Should really help with some cheap mosfet cooling. I think I found a set for like 20 bucks once with several small heatsinks. They look something like these two.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Well, I was looking at the high end SFF build for the Fractal Node in the OP but money has became a tiny bit of an issue and it looks like I'll have to scale back. I'll take advantage of the fact that my 2500K is still a good CPU and pick up a mini ITX mobo that is compatible and just move the CPU over. Then see what I can move over with my current set up to the SFF.

Sucks but hey, it'll still be a great rig. =)

mkenyon

Banned
Hello, I am close to building a new mid-high end machine and while I've already mostly decided what I want, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do with Haswell as I noticed a recurring issue that seemed to pop up on overclocking guides and forums without a truly definitive solution that had me concerned about actually building a machine with one. The maximum voltage set by the user in a mobo's BIOS seems to be completely overridden by the chips' integrated voltage regulator in adaptive mode once they use AVX instructions (subjecting the chip to both uncomfortable voltage and heat levels) and I find that unacceptable. As I understand it, the only solution is to, instead, override adaptive voltage manually, but this forces a constant, single voltage value which is not good for long-term power-savings and longevity of the CPU as the higher voltage would then apply even when the CPU is idle. Am I missing something or how does everyone manage to stomach this?

I'm honestly contemplating just saving myself the headache and investing in a z77 mobo (I am aware of the advantages of z87 platform, but first and foremost, I must be satisfied with the microprocessor itself) and Ivy Bridge chip instead. How are you fellow overclockers managing this issue? I built a machine with a 3570K for some family members recently and found that the chip responded well to overclocking with very little trouble. In contrast to what I've read about Haswell's poor OC reliability/consistency, voltage issues (mostly this), and introduction of plenty more BIOS variables, I'm having some difficulty feeling secure in a mainstream Haswell purchase. It really bothers me.
Funny you should ask this. Haz and myself both wanted to keep Ivy in the OP as outside of emulation, there's no benefit to Haswell. Ivy gets PCI-E 3.0, lots of SATA 6GB ports, and plenty of USB 3.0 ports. There's cool stuff to be had when looking at the super low power i3s and the better on-die GPUs, but when looking at 3570k/3770k vs 4670k/4770k, I still think Ivy is a better option if you can get a discount.

Also, not to self plug too bad, but I have a Z77X-UP7 w/ mSATA SSD for sale I posted a page back. If you do end up going Ivy, it is a stupid good deal. It is the best Z77 board by a long shot.

Ty4on

Got mah Air 540 and RM-1000 today. Coming from this Antec 900 with ungodly Xigmatek semi-modular 650W PSU:

The power cables are heaving against the glass. They want to burst forth. And who could blame them? If I was in a place like this, I'd want to get the fuck out as soon as I could:
[...]
So, yeah, no regrets. I love it. :D

Totally unrelated, but I really hate PSU cables. They're one of the main reason cases have to be so damn big. I'd love to see a case trying to get rid of them with a built in PSU and cables so that you just slot HDD into the connectors, have PCI-e power cables next to where the GPU is and maybe even the motherboard built in so that you don't need that stupidly large 24pin. Inside an ITX case it's like every cable is too long and too short.

Oh, and kill these with fire.

Dawg

Is this... ehm... bad for haswell stock? Ran a three minutes small ftt test on prime95

3minutesjfs52.png

I'm hesitant to overclock now.

Geneijin

I thought the main point of override was to test stability first and foremost at the speeds you want to see how high you can overclock while maintaining stability at certain voltage levels. How high you want to overclock and what combination of temperature and voltage you're safe/content with would determine how far you wish to push your CPU. For example, after testing for 24 hours at 1135 mV for 4.1 ghz (my settings for 4670k), it was suggested to me to switch to adaptive while keeping 1135 mV as my override, so my CPU doesn't always run at that voltage, speed and also, undervolting it so I don't run @ 1200 mV for the same clock speeds since it's as stable on 1135 mV, reducing temperatures mainly. As far as I know, my computer is running faster and great.

I'd be interested in answers too.

Chindogg

Ok time to embarrass myself with my long forgotten experience.

I bought this case.

And this Motherboard.

Do I need to buy some mounting screws?

Fuck I feel like an idiot.

NoRéN;104517822 said:
no, they come preinstalled on the 200r. However, one will be in the wrong spot so make sure to remove it.

The case will come with the screws you need.

Thanks guys. I haven't built a desktop in a decade so I can never remember lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom