• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

I've had poor experiences with Corsair CX PSUs. Had two units where the fan power cable wasn't tied down, so if I turned them on with the fan facing down the cable would fall into the fan blades and make a god awful noise. RMA'd both, one returned DOA. :\

I'd avoid low-end products altogether, but Corsair's especially. Have no idea why they're cutting corners. Well, I think I know.

Get one of the recommendations in the OP instead.

reposting from previous page.

someone is selling this:

- Corsair 900D case

- Gigabyte G.1 Sniper 5 with WIFI & Sound Card (1150 socket) Water Cooling ready with fittings!

- Intel 4770k 1150 socket processor, overclocked to 4.2

- eVGA GTX 770 SC w/ACX cooler

- Corsair Dominater platinum Ram 16GB kit 2 sticks

- Corsair h110 water cooling

- Corsair 1200i AX power supply W/ Corsair Link

- 1 TB caviar black drive 7200 RPM

- 128GB Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series

- Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit with disk and key

- Corsair K95 vengeance keyboard

- corsair m65 mouse

- BenQ 24" BL2410 LED monitor

for $1500.

yay or nay?

TheD

The Detective
And that's the problem I'm having. There is literally one usage scenario where having more VRAM makes a difference and it is something that the user is modding in themselves - not any game at stock.

I did also say VRAM limited SLI and Crossfire scenarios.

reposting from previous page.

someone is selling this:

for $1500.

yay or nay?

Pretty damn good deal overall, however they chose really expensive parts for no reason I mean a $150 keyboard, a $280 case, really expensive mobo, etc. If you are willing to spend 1500 its a good deal for sure, but you could probably build it yourself and save a few bucks by not going top of the line in a lot of categories that don't matter.

Firebrand

Dammit, it's probably coil whine I hear. I guess I will rma it. What a damn pain
Is it constant? Coil whine usually changes in pitch and loudness as the load on the GPU changes.

Maybe I've been unlucky with cards but coil whine seems to be expected nowadays, I just don't want to hear it when the card is rendering at reasonable frame rates (<120). The 770 I have now seems pretty okay, I ran 3DMark Demo earlier and it whined something fierce but it was also rendering at 1500+ FPS. I guess it could be a problem in games where Vsyncing is not an option, like Source games that introduce massive mouse lag

I wish my Steelsensei RAW wasn't making a high-frequency noise though, heh.

And oh, PSUs sometimes have coil whine as well, so make sure it's the GPU before you RMA anything.

Ashhong

Is it constant? Coil whine usually changes in pitch and loudness as the load on the GPU changes.

Maybe I've been unlucky with cards but coil whine seems to be expected nowadays, I just don't want to hear it when the card is rendering at reasonable frame rates (<120). The 770 I have now seems pretty okay, I ran 3DMark Demo earlier and it whined something fierce but it was also rendering at 1500+ FPS. I guess it could be a problem in games where Vsyncing is not an option, like Source games that introduce massive mouse lag

And oh, PSUs sometimes have coil whine as well, so make sure it's the GPU before you RMA anything.

I actually didn't even think about it being the Gpu. I think it is the psu. I hear it when I'm using the computer and I haven't even utilized the gpu. It's pretty much constant, high pitches sound. I'm going to see if I can live with it for now. The cabling is perfect and was so hard to do lol.

Is it possible to test a psu for coil whine without putting it in the computer?

LilJoka

Use EVGA precision to enable a 60fps fps cap without vsync.

Ark

Are we likely to see XB1 controller drivers for PC any time soon or should I just go ahead and grab a 360 controller?

so my mpower board has Realtek® ALC898 on board audio. I am using a 2011 mixamp and astro a40 headset. Would I benefit from buying a sound card or no?

Without details on what those scenarios are.

That seems to be the catch. They exist, just that nobody has them offhand. Whenever I've searched legitimate benchmarks comparing say a GTX 680 with 2GB versus one with 4GB, even using a resolution like 5760x1080 is never seems to have any benefit, yet people insist on recommending marked up third party cards with double the VRAM because on paper in should be better *shrug*

Helping a friend build a PC next month. Anyone see problems with the following?

Hard budget of $1500, doesn't need a monitor or mouse/kb.
Will probably replace the CPU and motherboard with their Haswell Refresh equivalents if they come out early enough in May.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme 3
CPU: Intel i7-4770K
GPU: Asus GTX780 DC2OC 3GB
PSU: Corsair CX500M
RAM: HyperX XMP Blu Red Series 16GB DDR3 1600
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB
HDD: WD 1TB 7200 RPM
Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Does anyone know what causes my sound to occasionally drop off pretty drastically when I disconnect a wireless controller? Sometimes happens when I connect it too, the sound just instantly drops out until I reboot.

Is Skylake the earliest we'll see DDR4?

When's it due out?

I've started to get the upcoming platforms jumbled in my head, but on Desktop, one of the platforms coming sooner than that should have it.

Mobile is unknown. Originally, mobile Broadwell wasn't supposed to have DDR4, but the implementation of DDR4 seems to have moved up and there hasn't been updated word on mobile yet.

Not sure whether to wait for Skylake from my Haswell or get a Broadwell.

I mean the logical part of my brain says "wait for 8 core Skylake" but... 2016...

ZncZhrn.png

Ryoohki360

Neo Member
Which is better out of the Kingston Hyper-X Fury and Beast? Beast is apparently faster but also cheaper which is confusing me.

Faster memory really doesn't serve a purpose in gaming, 1600 is just fine for anything really. Unless you're benchmarking..

Unless you're using AMD APU only..

vareon

GAF, I like to sit in a dark room watching movies/animes/stuff. With my current monitor, I can't see anything if the movie has a dark scene/setting. What spec should I look for my next monitor?

TheD

The Detective

That is all just based on forum rumor mongering about some part shipment names as far as I can see.

TMSC is already shipping out 20nm chips, why would Nvidia not launch higher end 28nm maxwell chips at around the same time as the 750 and 750 Ti if that was what they wanted to do and why would Nvidia plan to launch 28nm chips next year when they could just wait a few months for 20nm.

GAF, I like to sit in a dark room watching movies/animes/stuff. With my current monitor, I can't see anything if the movie has a dark scene/setting. What spec should I look for my next monitor?

Higher contrast ratio so that there are more stages between the brightest bright and the darkest dark, but have you tried manually adjusting you monitor's brightness and contrast?

vareon

Higher contrast ratio so that there are more stages between the brightest bright and the darkest dark, but have you tried manually adjusting you monitor's brightness and contrast?

Thanks. I'm going to buy a new monitor anyway since it's an old model that doesn't support HDMI. What number is acceptable for it? I see something between 8 million : 1 to 50 million : 1.

Thanks. I'm going to buy a new monitor anyway since it's an old model that doesn't support HDMI. What number is acceptable for it? I see something between 8 million : 1 to 50 million : 1.

Those are dynamic contrast ratios, i.e. virtually meaningless.

Static contrast ratios are the ones to pay attention to. 1000:1 is the most common one. Once you go above that, it gets pricy quickly.

If you're also looking for accurate color reproduction, you should also look for IPS displays as the panel type.

Contrast Ratios are largely irrelevant because of the way OEM's measure them. Your best bet is to get an IPS Panel, I reccomend the Dell U2414H.

LordAlu

Helping a friend build a PC next month. Anyone see problems with the following?

Hard budget of $1500, doesn't need a monitor or mouse/kb.
Will probably replace the CPU and motherboard with their Haswell Refresh equivalents if they come out early enough in May.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme 3
CPU: Intel i7-4770K
GPU: Asus GTX780 DC2OC 3GB
PSU: Corsair CX500M
RAM: HyperX XMP Blu Red Series 16GB DDR3 1600
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB
HDD: WD 1TB 7200 RPM
Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Not bad at all. I'd probably swap out the 780 for the EVGA Classified version, maybe choose a different motherboard and definitely pick a better power supply, that Corsair one is mediocre. The processor is $60 cheaper if you can collect from a Microcenter.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($133.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($80.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($499.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($100.00 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($20.00 @ Reddit)
Total: $1451.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-21 03:21 EDT-0400)

nkarafo

I want to buy a NVIDIA card but i am using a little program with my current, old ATi which is great and i don't know if i can "deal with it" without it.

Its called "Ati Tray Tool" and i can do all these things with it:

-open/close the monitor with a shortcut key.
-Have a refresh rate lock.
-I can change brightness/gamma of the monitor with shortcut keys

But most importantly:

-I can bind different hertz values for different resolutions. For instance, when my monitor goes to 640x480 it automatically changes hertz to 60. When i get back to 1024x768 it changes automatically to 85 hertz (yes i have a CRT). This works wonders for my emulators. And many emulators don't let me set the monitor hertz from their options.

I tried to find something similar for Nvidia but i couldn't. Any suggestions maybe? I just don't want to change the monitor hertz manually every time i change resolutions :( And i don't really want an Ati card because AMD sucks and drops driver support very early and because i already have a Nvidia card sitting around and i can use that budget for other things.

Durante

Contrast Ratios are largely irrelevant because of the way OEM's measure them. Your best bet is to get an IPS Panel, I reccomend the Dell U2414H.
The measured contrast ratio is very meaningful, but you have to look at reviews for that, not specs.

IPS panels are generally not particularly great at contrast ratios (the good ones are around 1000:1, similar to good TN). PVA rules the roost, with up to 5000:1 static measured contrast ratio.

Durante

Edit: sorry for the double post, for some reason I didn't realize these two replies were in the same thread.

I tried to find something similar for Nvidia but i couldn't. Any suggestions maybe? I just don't want to change the monitor hertz manually every time i change resolutions :( And i don't really want an Ati card because AMD sucks and drops driver support very early and because i already have a Nvidia card sitting around and i can use that budget for other things.
In my experience, every time you switch to a resolution on a given monitor it will use the Hz you had last set at that resolution.

Other than that, DisplayFusion does everything you want (I use it to manage all 4 of the display devices connected to my PC), but it's not free.

Rafy

That is all just based on forum rumor mongering about some part shipment names as far as I can see.

TMSC is already shipping out 20nm chips, why would Nvidia not launch higher end 28nm maxwell chips at around the same time as the 750 and 750 Ti if that was what they wanted to do and why would Nvidia plan to launch 28nm chips next year when they could just wait a few months for 20nm.

Cause TSMC's 20nm facilities are in full production till the end of the year producing smartphone chips leaving no room for amd and nvidia chips.

nkarafo

Other than that, DisplayFusion does everything you want (I use it to manage all 4 of the display devices connected to my PC), but it's not free.
It looks good, thanks. Any other alternatives that are free? I only care about locking specific refresh rates to specific resolutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom