• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few indies and that Square Enix game aren't much of a refresh.

Like what the fuck are games such as Alan Wake, Just Cause 2 and Darksiders still doing in the bundle?

Were they ever in that bundle? I thought not. Don't think Company of Heroes 2 was in there either, or Payday 2. Dungeon Siege III is also a very recent game.

Imo there just did not came out too many games suitable for this since the last offering.

LJ11

Have a question, hope you guys can answer.

I know this isn't the PC troubleshooting thread, but ever since I built my PC back in August I've had this nagging issue. Whenever I put my PC in standby, and then wake it up, there's this 3-5 second delay before I can input my PW or click on an icon if I don't have PW on wakeup enabled. Fans spin up to high, just like when you first boot my PC on post, I can move my mouse around but it accepts no inputs from KB or Mouse.

Using a Plextor SSD and a WD 2 TB drive for storage. It's been driving me nuts, I can't figure out why this happening, especially when I've never had this issue on another PC.

If anyone has any thoughts, please share. It's not a big deal, but it's annoying the hell out of me.

Is the below benchmark for my SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB SSD any good?

To be honest sinced I got it I've never been impressed by the boot performance, it takes 40 seconds to get to the Windows 7 desktop after I power on my PC with the boot GUI disabled, is that normal?

Outside of booting everything is crazy fast so I'm not sure whether I'm worrying over nothing.

SSD Benchmark by Deaf Spacker, on Flickr

mkenyon

Banned
Is the below benchmark for my SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB SSD any good?

To be honest sinced I got it I've never been impressed by the boot performance, it takes 40 seconds to get to the Windows 7 desktop after I power on my PC with the boot GUI disabled, is that normal?

Outside of booting everything is crazy fast so I'm not sure whether I'm worrying over nothing.

SSD Benchmark by Deaf Spacker, on Flickr
Goodness gracious no, that is not normal.

Do you by chance have an AM3 socket motherboard?

I don't really pay any attention to SSD benchmarks, so I'm not sure on that front.

cZkzl5yl.jpg

I never even heard of Murdered Soul Suspect. I need to keep up on my game announcement news lol.

mkenyon

Banned
Yup, at least 15 seconds on the American Megatrends screen.
That's probably due to a number of features that have been enabled by default, whether it be extra SATA controllers, RAID controllers, that sort of stuff, that is initializing prior to Windows launching.

I do remember my Gigabyte X79 board taking awhile to get to the Windows screen. I went through BIOS and disabled every device I wasn't using, and it improved it greatly.

That's probably due to a number of features that have been enabled by default, whether it be extra SATA controllers, RAID controllers, that sort of stuff, that is initializing prior to Windows launching.

I do remember my Gigabyte X79 board taking awhile to get to the Windows screen. I went through BIOS and disabled every device I wasn't using, and it improved it greatly.

Ok, thank you very much, I'll go through the bios now.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
k, crazy question. Built my new PC. Running both OS X and Win7. Using a mini-PCIe wifi/bt card with a BT keyboard attached/paired (Apple Wireless). In both OSes the keyboard works great.

unfortunately.... BEFORE the OSes boot, keyboard doesn't work. problem being that I can select my OS, get to boot options, get to BIOS setup, etc. without a wired keyboard attached. my old BT dongle (targus?) seemed to work, I'm guessing by emulating HID until OS took over and put up drivers for BT.

Has anyone else done this with a mini-PCIe BT card? I mean if I even HAVE to use a hardware keyboard just for BIOS that's fine. But having to have one attached just to boot into an alternate OS sucks. :(

motherboard is Gigabyte Z87N. WIFI/BT card is Azurewave AW-CE123H (broadcom wifi and BT stacks)

Zacillac

Neo Member
A quick question, as I'm in the middle of building a new HTPC/Steam Machine. Which would be the best idea?

i5-4670k with 16GB of RAM

or

i7-4770k with 8GB of RAM

I'm trying to minimize what will need to be upgraded over the next year or two and this decision is the only one I'm having trouble with.

ink4n3

I'm helping a guy at work pick out some parts for a PC. He's been tinkering with photoshop and lightroom on his current PC which is some $400 HP with integrated graphics. He's not too computer savvy and will never overclock. Here's what I helped him pick out. He's trying to keep it around $800.

CPU: Intel i5 4430
MB: Biostar Hi-Fi B85S3+ Micro ATX
Storage: 120GB Samsung EVO SSD and WD Caviar Blue 1TB
GPU: GTX 750Ti
Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2
PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze

He's got 8 gigs of RAM that he tried to thrown into his old computer so he's gonna put that in there. Is there anything missing or something that should be swapped out? Also, any places to get Windows cheap?

Does anyone know of a video or website that will help older people understand how easy it is to put together a pc? Something that shows that the only parts that they have to worry about in terms of compatibility is the socket type and motherboard etc. My friend wants to build a pc but his parents are worried that certain parts might not work or will not fit.
Also, any places to get Windows cheap?
reddit.com/r/softwareswap

mkenyon

Banned
Does anyone know of a video or website that will help older people understand how easy it is to put together a pc? Something that shows that the only parts that they have to worry about in terms of compatibility is the socket type and motherboard etc. My friend wants to build a pc but his parents are worried that certain parts might not work or will not fit.

I've got just the one.

On a more serious note, this is probably the best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea_bs5G1yYU

yatesl

kennah

k, crazy question. Built my new PC. Running both OS X and Win7. Using a mini-PCIe wifi/bt card with a BT keyboard attached/paired (Apple Wireless). In both OSes the keyboard works great.

unfortunately.... BEFORE the OSes boot, keyboard doesn't work. problem being that I can select my OS, get to boot options, get to BIOS setup, etc. without a wired keyboard attached. my old BT dongle (targus?) seemed to work, I'm guessing by emulating HID until OS took over and put up drivers for BT.

Has anyone else done this with a mini-PCIe BT card? I mean if I even HAVE to use a hardware keyboard just for BIOS that's fine. But having to have one attached just to boot into an alternate OS sucks. :(

motherboard is Gigabyte Z87N. WIFI/BT card is Azurewave AW-CE123H (broadcom wifi and BT stacks)

Pretty common issue. A lot of apple keyboards don't play nice with BIOS for some reason. I have a USB Apple Keyboard on my mackintosh and I still have to use another USB keyboard to select the boot.

SOME people say that you just need to wait longer for it to pair and try it and hope, but that's never worked for me.

(ironically - I just googled your problem this morning)

Can someone help me out? I am using GTX 670, but cant install nvidia drivers, nor gforce experience.
ERzWR8d.png

Everytime I try, it says it cant install the graphic driver, and visual audio. I deleted older drivers, but still cant get to install nothing.
rgXRlVv.jpg

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Pretty common issue. A lot of apple keyboards don't play nice with BIOS for some reason. I have a USB Apple Keyboard on my mackintosh and I still have to use another USB keyboard to select the boot.

SOME people say that you just need to wait longer for it to pair and try it and hope, but that's never worked for me.

(ironically - I just googled your problem this morning)

hmm.. wish I had another BT keyboard to try and see if it was just the apple one or the mini PCIe card in general. Like I said my USB BT dongle worked flawlessly even with the apple keyboard (well aside from no Del key to get into the BIOS... lol....)

Kysen

You get that geforce error when the previous driver has not been installed properly, you need to do a clean install(remove old version first).

WolvenOne

Okay, so I'm about to try upgrading my PC again. I have a haswell CPU sitting around from last fall, so I just need a motherboard to plug it into.

Keeping in mind that I'm trying to keep this motherboard cheap, on the chance that this CPU's gone bad, what would you recommend for around 100USD?

I'll also be buying a water cooler, but I think I can figure out something that'll work well there on my own. <_<;;

yatesl

Okay, so I'm about to try upgrading my PC again. I have a haswell CPU sitting around from last fall, so I just need a motherboard to plug it into.

Keeping in mind that I'm trying to keep this motherboard cheap, on the chance that this CPU's gone bad, what would you recommend for around ?

I'll also be buying a water cooler, but I think I can figure out something that'll work well there on my own. <_<;;

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z87pro4

Asiriya

Neo Member
My Corsair TX650 PSU died after about three years of use and has just been replaced under warranty. I've also just bought an MSI 290. Before I go through the rigmarol of pulling out the old card and reconnecting everything to the PSU; is the power supply going to be quality enough for the card? I'm thinking of buying a modular PSU when devil's canyon comes out but I don't mind accelerating that purchase if it makes sense.
Cheers.

Simzyy

Is £230 a good price for a GTX 770 in the UK? I can't find a site which lists how the price has changed over time. It's MSI and it has to be MSI as the other cards are a little too big.

I can wait. So do people think it will get much lower? Or that the 860/870 will be around the same price?

Tablo

My Corsair TX650 PSU died after about three years of use and has just been replaced under warranty. I've also just bought an MSI 290. Before I go through the rigmarol of pulling out the old card and reconnecting everything to the PSU; is the power supply going to be quality enough for the card? I'm thinking of buying a modular PSU when devil's canyon comes out but I don't mind accelerating that purchase if it makes sense.
Cheers.

It's a 650W 80+ Bronze if I recall so it should be fine granted you don't have anything crazy going on in your system. No need to buy a new PSU unless you have the funds and do want a modular one, in which case there are plenty of cost effective options.

ink4n3

Thanks, seems like windows is really cheap. Gotta keep this bookmarked for future use. Any ideas on the build? I just want to make sure I'm not majorly screwing something up.

Panzon

Just saw the email for the EVGA step up program. 780 6GB here I come. How much do you guys tthink the price difference will be?

I just received the email from EVGA saying that I'm eligible for their gtx 780 step up. Apparently they are making an exception for this step up (gtx 780 3gb--->gtx 780 6gb).

I have the SC w/ACX version and i noticed that the 6gb version has only ACX.

While my GPU has a 967 MHz Base Clock, the 6gb version has 863 MHz Base Clock.

Is it still worth the step up? Or is my GPU slightly stronger, but with less memory available?

Humm may be about to pull the trigger on the ultimate upgrade: A new house, which I have agreed with the wife MUST include a dedicated home cinema/xbox/gaming room. Mmm... Will even figure a way to have a PC isolated from the rest of the room by a wall so I get zero noise... Mmm... Tomorrow's the day e should hear on a couple of houses we are interested in. Once we've moved I will of course need a suitable pc for the room ;-)

AMD's got their next beta up: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

Feature Highlights of The AMD Catalyst&#8482; 14.4 Release Candidate Driver for Windows

Support for the AMD Radeon&#8482; R9 295X

CrossFire&#8482; fixes enhancements:
Crysis 3 &#8211; frame pacing improvements
Far Cry 3 &#8211; 3 and 4 GPU performance improvements at high quality settings, high resolution settings
Anno 2070 &#8211; Improved CrossFire scaling up to 34%
Titanfall &#8211; Resolved in game flickering with CrossFire enabled
Metro Last Light &#8211; Improved Crossfire scaling up to 10%
Eyefinity 3x1 (with three 4K panels) no longer cuts off portions of the application
Stuttering has been improved in certain applications when selecting mid-Eyefinity resolutions with V-sync Enabled

Full support for OpenGL 4.4
OpenGL 4.4 supports the following extensions:
ARB_buffer_storage
ARB_enhanced_layouts
ARB_query_buffer_object
ARB_clear_texture
ARB_texture_mirror_clamp_to_edge
ARB_texture_stencil8
ARB_vertex_type_10f_11f_11f_rev
ARB_multi_bind
ARB_bindless_texture
ARB_spare_texture
ARB_seamless_cubemap_per_texture
ARB_indirect_parameters
ARB_compute_variable_group_size
ARB_shader_draw_parameters
ARB_shader_group_vote

Mantle beta driver improvements:
BattleField 4: Performance slowdown is no longer seen when performing a task switch/Alt-tab
BattleField 4: Fuzzy images when playing in rotated SLS resolution with an A10 Kaveri system

This is the RC, so it's what will end up as the WHQL later this month.

mkenyon

Banned
Just saw the email for the EVGA step up program. 780 6GB here I come. How much do you guys tthink the price difference will be?
If it's anything significant at all, don't take advantage of it.
I just received the email from EVGA saying that I'm eligible for their gtx 780 step up. Apparently they are making an exception for this step up (gtx 780 3gb--->gtx 780 6gb).

I have the SC w/ACX version and i noticed that the 6gb version has only ACX.

While my GPU has a 967 MHz Base Clock, the 6gb version has 863 MHz Base Clock.

Is it still worth the step up? Or is my GPU slightly stronger, but with less memory available?
Only *maybe* worth it if you have a 4K monitor. Even then.....

I bought an EVGA GTX 780 (3gb) a few weeks ago. I'm now eligible to participate in EVGA's step-up program and exchange my card for a new 6gb model for a total of 40$ shipping (no additional cost).

GAF - in your opinion, is the upgrade worth the cost of shipping and gaming down time until I get my new card?

EDIT: Wow, sorry for double post - Beaten!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom