• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Hmmm, I see. I might just wait a few weeks and see if anyone does benchmarks, i have 72 days untill my eligibility expires anyways.
The only benchmarks that will be applicable are 4K or 3 monitor type setups. Even 3x1080p isn't going to have any difference between 3 and 6GB, 1440p either.

Brofist

A quick question, as I'm in the middle of building a new HTPC/Steam Machine. Which would be the best idea?

i5-4670k with 16GB of RAM

or

i7-4770k with 8GB of RAM

I'm trying to minimize what will need to be upgraded over the next year or two and this decision is the only one I'm having trouble with.

I'd go with the better CPU myself. Easy enough to add memory later.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I bought an EVGA GTX 780 (3gb) a few weeks ago. I'm now eligible to participate in EVGA's step-up program and exchange my card for a new 6gb model for a total of 40$ shipping (no additional cost).

GAF - in your opinion, is the upgrade worth the cost of shipping and gaming down time until I get my new card?

Yes, $40 for an extra 3gb of vram is a great deal. Even if you end up not taking advantage of it, you only lost $40. Plus down the road it will have a higher resale value. Also, down the road you never know if you may upgrade to a higher resolution display and/or add a second card for SLI and wish you had that extra vram in the future. Lastly, a year from now you probably won't care that you had to go a week or so without the card while it was in the mail. :)

mkenyon

Banned
I'd go with the better CPU myself. Easy enough to add memory later.
While true, the CPU isn't any better for games. If by amazing magic games actually push a 4670K to its limit, and the 4770K would be handy (we're not yet even to the point of a 2500K being fully utilized), it will be cheaper. With DDR4 production ramping up, that memory is going to get more and more expensive over the next 2 years.
Yes, $40 for an extra 3gb of vram is a great deal. Even if you end up not taking advantage of it, you only lost $40. Plus down the road it will have a higher resale value. Also, down the road you never know if you may upgrade to a higher resolution display and/or add a second card for SLI and wish you had that extra vram in the future. Lastly, a year from now you probably won't care that you had to go a week or so without the card while it was in the mail. :)
Counter point: Lots of if's in there. The only certainty is that you will be $40 poorer and without a card for a week.

For real though, 6GB cards are good for 4K folk or some insane 5x1 portrait setup. Not 1080p, not even 1440p. If it were a 2GB card you were looking to upgrade, that's different. But there's already 3GB with great bandwidth that doesn't get any better.

mkenyon

Banned
Wait, so so you saying I shouldn't upgrade?
No, I don't think anyone with a 1080p or 1440p display should.

If "in the future it might..." is an argument, how many people who bought 580s with 3GB still use them? How many people are happy they have one of those instead a 1.5GB card?

Most the folks with 780s are going to sell them and buy whatever the next hottest thing is in 2-3 years.

Panzon

No, I don't think anyone with a 1080p or 1440p display should.

If "in the future it might..." is an argument, how many people who bought 580s with 3GB still use them? How many people are happy they have one of those instead a 1.5GB card?

Most the folks with 780s are going to sell them and buy whatever the next hottest thing is in 2-3 years.

Guess you're right. I rather not have to ship and wait anyway since I just finished my build this weekend and wanna enjoy the damned thing already Also my wife would destroy me if she found out I was spending more money on parts lol

Brofist

While true, the CPU isn't any better for games. If by amazing magic games actually push a 4670K to its limit, and the 4770K would be handy (we're not yet even to the point of a 2500K being fully utilized), it will be cheaper. With DDR4 production ramping up, that memory is going to get more and more expensive over the next 2 years

I might just be speaking of personal use, I do enough non-gaming tasks that take advantage of HT that make it worth it to me. Then again I have both 16GB and an i7.

vilmer_

I bought an EVGA GTX 780 (3gb) a few weeks ago. I'm now eligible to participate in EVGA's step-up program and exchange my card for a new 6gb model for a total of 40$ shipping (no additional cost).

GAF - in your opinion, is the upgrade worth the cost of shipping and gaming down time until I get my new card?

EDIT: Wow, sorry for double post - Beaten!

Woah I didn't know they have this step up program, I have a 780 ti and wasn't notified/e-mailed... Perhaps it's something they listed on the EVGA website. Not sure I would do it though, I'm on 1444p and I think 3gb is more than enough, for now.

So Malwarebytes is no longer good for anti-malware? Looks like you have to sign up or is that not a big deal?

One other question, is there an optimal SSD setup guide? I think there was one I read about in here, but I cant seem to locate it. Mainly about VM settings. Thanks!

Firebrand

Are unstable factory overclocks commonly thing? I've been getting constant DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED errors in BF4, which would suggest to me something's wrong with either hardware or drivers. However, there's nothing indicating an actual driver crash/recovery in the systray or Windows event viewer. No idea what's going on. Card is a Gigabyte 770 GTX with some amount of factory overclock. I've tried reinstalling games, Origin, DirectX, video drivers, removing PCI Link Status power saving etc. Nothing. Could maybe be... a bug in BF4? Never.

Any suggestions for GPU stresstests? Unigine Heaven and 3Dmark Demo ran fine.

Looking at GPUZ, during use core clock is at 1267.3MHz and memory is at 1752.8MHz... which is actually kind of weird because the advertised "boost" clock is only 1189MHz. Temp maxes out at around 75°C.

McBryBry

When it comes to heavily modding Bethesda games, is 16GB of ram necessary at all? Or will I be fine sacrificing 8GB to put money somewhere else?

Panzon

It's done guys. She's fired up and everything is working properly. Gonna try my hands at over clocking tomorrow so I'm hoping you guys can guide me through

Gumbie

I sold one of my old PC's to a friend last year. It's a Q9500 overclocked to 3.5ghz, 4GB ram and a Radeon 6970. He's wanting to put a 770 GTX in it.....how bad is the Q9500 going to bottleneck him?

UnrealEck

When it comes to heavily modding Bethesda games, is 16GB of ram necessary at all? Or will I be fine sacrificing 8GB to put money somewhere else?

I think 8GB is enough for almost anything. In fact I only have 6GB in my system and it does me fine. Maybe in heavily modded games like Skyrim with a crapload of mods it might use more though.

MikeDown

Banned
so im pretty sure my hdd is failing and i'm debating weather or not to start investing in a new PC instead of purchasing a Solid State drive and simply mirror things.

Finally making the final choices in builds. Already have a case courtesy of my wife, and already have a processor in mind. Unfortunately, I'm having a lot of difficulty figuring out everything else, especially in regards to the MOBO and the GPU(s). Too many choices and not in the mindset to be doing trial and error and the customer support dance with my laptop running on its last legs.

Current specs:
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K
  • Case: Rosewill Thor V2-W

Budget(US): Around $2000 (including the CPU)

Main Use: Gaming (4-5); possibly streaming in HD in the future (2); multiple programs such as Excel, Powerpoint, Adobe needing to run (4).

Moniter Resolution: 1080p-1440p. May upgrade to 4K in a few years, but nowhere near a priority at this time. May also set up multiple monitors in the future, but not too near for it to influence heavily.

Performance: 60fps+, preferably closer to 120fps if possible. Don't have a lot of experience with card specific features like PhysX and TressFX, but would like to access them with mitigated effects to the performance.

Deadline: Would like to wrap this up no later than July, but September is likely the more realistic goal.

Will attempt to dabble in over clocking.

Other notes:
  • Only have experience with Nvidia cards (GTX 280, 660) and where my preference lies. Not opposed to switching to AMD though.
  • Was looking at the ASUS Sabertooth MOBOs, but they struck me as more gimmick than practical. Leaning now towards the P9X79 from the same company.
  • Mostly need help with the MOBO and GPU. PSU and cooling unit next. Drives and memory aren't that big of an issue.
  • On that note, I don't see a huge need to have more than 8Gb of ram unless suggested otherwise.
  • Not looking to upgrade any individual parts for 2 years, unless something insane happens in the industry to push me to it. Most I plan on doing between now and then is add more memory if it's called for.
  • First start-from-scratch build that I'll be attempting. Switched out GPUs and ram in the past, but nearly everything else has been kept intact in past rigs.

Josman

Allright GAF, I'm finally about to build my first PC, so exciting! just want to check with you guys:

Motherboard: Asus Z87M-Plus LGA 1150
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CRJSYAA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

CPU: i5 4670k

CPU cooler: CM Hyper 212

PSU: SeaSonic 550 Watt modular Gold rated PSU
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00918MEZG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Memory: 2x4GB Kingston Hyperx Blu DDR3 1600Mhz

Storage: THIS is what I can't decide on, 250GB Samsung EVO or 1TB WD Blue?

GPU: GTX 760 2GB

Case: ????? mATX form factor or a little bigger? $100 max with USB 3.0 ports and good looks, I just don't know which one

-How does it look? I went for a gold PSU, Haswell and a GTX 760 because the power consumption would be pretty low and AMD counterparts are just awful at this, energy costs are twice as big here.

-If I go for the SSD I'll use it exclusively for 6 months at least, and I've heard bad things about them wearing out faster as a single storage device. If I go for the HDD I'll build my PC sooner but I will probably be soaking over not getting the SDD. DAMN IT

-Is the PSU allright? or is 550W too high / low?

-Any compatibility issue or am I good to go?

kennah

550 is fine.

Go with the SSD. the wearing out problem is for first gen drives only. That 250 gig has an effective life of around 100 years.

Okay, so I'm going to be adding some new components and starting my computer fresh. Largely I'm not trying to preserve anything because I want to purge everything having to do with my Nostromo gamepad, which fucks with every controller I ever try to plug into my PC.

I bought a new video card (GTX 660 to replace my Radeon 5870) and a 128GB SSD to pair along side my 7200 rpm HDD.

Could someone give me an overview here? So I have a iso of Windows 7 and license. I have the hard drive in use now. I will have the new components.

Do I burn a copy of the iso to a disc, power down, slide out the old video card, slide the new one in. Put the HDD on the next SATA plug down and just plug the new SSD into the SATA that my HDD was in? Then just install windows on the SSD?

What is the best way to just scorched-earth the HDD so I don't have anything bleed through to the new install?

knitoe

Okay, so I'm going to be adding some new components and starting my computer fresh. Largely I'm not trying to preserve anything because I want to purge everything having to do with my Nostromo gamepad, which fucks with every controller I ever try to plug into my PC.

I bought a new video card (GTX 660 to replace my Radeon 5870) and a 128GB SSD to pair along side my 7200 rpm HDD.

Could someone give me an overview here? So I have a iso of Windows 7 and license. I have the hard drive in use now. I will have the new components.

Do I burn a copy of the iso to a disc, power down, slide out the old video card, slide the new one in. Put the HDD on the next SATA plug down and just plug the new SSD into the SATA that my HDD was in? Then just install windows on the SSD?

What is the best way to just scorched-earth the HDD so I don't have anything bleed through to the new install?
Burn iso to disc.
Power down.
Remove the old and install the new video card.
Connect the SSD to a Sata3 port.
Disconnect the HDD.
Install Windows. You might have to go into the bios and have disc as boot priority #1. Change to SSD #1 after Windows is installed.
Connect HDD. Load up Windows and quick format the HDD.

Panzon

How do i benchmark games? I'm trying to benchmark Batman: AC at the highest possible settings just for fun but have no clue how to do it

Ark

msi 270 gaming.

Im thinking it was running hot and this isnt normal

So should i think about RMA or see if it happens again tomorrow

Ouch that sucks. My MSI stuff is working fine at the moment (only had it up and running for 3 days so far though), hope you get it sorted.

Vee_One

PC Gaf - I have a Palit GeForce 770 Jetstream 4 gig video card am considering adding a second in SLI. I'm looking for additional performance and a little bit of future proofing for a year or so.

Is it worth doing this or would I be better off simply replacing my 770 with a beefier card now or in the future?

EDIT: also, I am considering getting Oculus Dev Kit 2. Would my existing 770 be sufficient? The display appears to be equivalent to 1920x1080 so I assume it would be ok?

mkenyon

Banned
Naked Kingpin

V5asCG8.jpg

Tasty GK110

iWDUg9j.jpg

Definite improvement

b940AXR.jpg

Not even Daphne wants that scrub cooler

1oYBA4I.jpg

Dat block

0a2cor3.jpg