• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

So windows 7 is not giving me memory issues so I'm happy about that. But now I'm unhappy with my corsair cx600m psu. First was coil whine which I got used to but now the fan sounds a little different. It's not smooth sounding. Almost like it's stuttering. Gotta find a new psu before my return window closes...
Remember how many times we told you to not get that PSU? :p
Not very familiar with US prices, but 400 bucks for the i5+mobo? That seems a bit pricy to me
Canada gets super shafted for CPU and motherboard prices. They never go down in price here.
Looking for a little advice on purchasing over 18 months. I get quite a few staples rewards. In the next year I will get around $1500 in rewards. What order should I buy the parts in to ensure I get the most bang for my buck. For example, I know the graphics card will get cheaper by next year so should that be my last purchase?

Or is this a dumb idea and I should keep buying Ipad upgrades.

Can be bought anytime:
Case, PSU, RAM, Optical (if used).

Can be bought 3-6 months before building.
RAM, Monitor, Keyboard, CPU, Motherboard (if nothing new is coming out in the next few months)

Buy only immediately before building:
Video card, SSD, Hard Drive.

Watch out for sales on everything. If something is a ridiculously good deal, get it.

Ashhong

With this build (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3yyZs) what is a reliable PSU <$100 I should be getting for it to run?

glancing at that estimated wattage and the fact that you aren't exactly throwing that many parts in, just gonna throw a couple suggestions out:

SeaSonic S12II 430W (Bronze) - $55
Rosewill CAPSTONE 450W (Gold) - $60 (semi-modular unit is $70)

though you're probably gonna want to also get a CPU cooler if you're getting a -K CPU.

(and even if you aren't. intel's stock fans are kind of obnoxious)

Hows this XFX? It has just enough connectors that I don't think non-modular will be a problem.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=59615&vpn=P1550SXXB9&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1070

yeah, if you can deal with it being non-modular you really can't go wrong with that XFX unit

Ashhong

glancing at that estimated wattage and the fact that you aren't exactly throwing that many parts in, just gonna throw a couple suggestions out:

SeaSonic S12II 430W (Bronze) - $55
Rosewill CAPSTONE 450W (Gold) - $60 (semi-modular unit is $70)

though you're probably gonna want to also get a CPU cooler if you're getting a -K CPU.

yeah, if you can deal with it being non-modular you really can't go wrong with that XFX unit

I think I can deal...the connections are actually pretty similar to what I have plugged into my PSU right now. The only cable I didn't have to use was a 3xSATA cable, which the XFX doesn't even have, it only has 3 total. That's a little low but might be ok.

Still open to suggestions for a better or cheaper unit though :D

550W is enough for 4670k overclock, R7 265, CM EVO 212 and a few case fans right?

kharma45

I think I can deal...the connections are actually pretty similar to what I have plugged into my PSU right now. The only cable I didn't have to use was a 3xSATA cable, which the XFX doesn't even have, it only has 3 total. That's a little low but might be ok.

Still open to suggestions for a better or cheaper unit though :D

550W is enough for 4670k overclock, R7 265, CM EVO 212 and a few case fans right?

Easily. I run the same set up (bar I've a 2500K) off a 430w.

That XFX is a good PSU too. The only other modular I can see that isn't too far over $60 is this Seasonic http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID= which is $65 after rebate. In black too.

Antec also has their HCG modular units for $67 and $70 respectively for the 620w and the 750w. The 520w would be perfectly fine though, or that non-modular XFX.

mylasthope

Neo Member
Some motherboards by default will only partially initialize the USB ports so the mouse and keyboard works, in order to boot quicker. Although having other USB devices plugged in should make no difference and it should still boot, I would head into the BIOS and see if you can change this setting to a full initialization. If this still doesn't work, it suggests there is some issue with the USB stick itself. Have you tried getting to it to post and then putting the USB stick in?

Thanks. I'm not sure if it was the stick itself, but I had to use an extension cable--I remember having to do the same thing with my PS4.

kharma45

Mudo

I've decided to get 1 of the monitors in the OP (ASUS VG248QE 24-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor) and while I'm at it, I've been thinking about replacing my video cards for over a year. I asked in here awhile back if it was worth replacing my GTX 580 SLI setup and was told not quite yet. Well, I'm ancy and want to get something better. Looking at benchmarks, the GTX 770 seems better by a decent margin, for around $300 per card. The cards above that one though are like 500-1000 bucks. Any thoughts on whether it's worth upgrading from GTX 580 SLI to GTX 770 SLI? Or any other suggestions around 300-ish per card (no ATI though, bad experiences in the past...)

edit: oh, I also just realized, if there is a single card that could trump my 2X 580's I would love that - but I wouldn't want to spend more than probably $700 ish on a single card

mkenyon

Banned
I've decided to get 1 of the monitors in the OP (ASUS VG248QE 24-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor) and while I'm at it, I've been thinking about replacing my video cards for over a year. I asked in here awhile back if it was worth replacing my GTX 580 SLI setup and was told not quite yet. Well, I'm ancy and want to get something better. Looking at benchmarks, the GTX 770 seems better by a decent margin, for around $300 per card. The cards above that one though are like 500-1000 bucks. Any thoughts on whether it's worth upgrading from GTX 580 SLI to GTX 770 SLI? Or any other suggestions around 300-ish per card (no ATI though, bad experiences in the past...)

edit: oh, I also just realized, if there is a single card that could trump my 2X 580's I would love that - but I wouldn't want to spend more than probably $700 ish on a single card
GTX 780 will do that. $500.
Cheap but still good one!

Might go for that Seasonic though, depending on how the cables are setup. Looking at it now
Antec BP550.

bennycash

Neo Member
So I definitely want to start buying some parts for my first build ever and noticed that the i5 4670K 3.4GHz is $179.99 at Micro Center in-store, which seems like a great price. Is it smart to buy this part first and then continue to gather the rest of the parts over the next few months here and there?

Josman

Has anyone built a PC with the Aerocool DS Cube?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLC9670/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I think it looks great, I'm not fond of big cases, I still can't decide about windowed with internal "frost blue" leds or not, I read somewhere that windowed cases were noisier and that the leds get annoying after a while, but it would look awesome.

Also: will this PSU be compatible? And is 550W enough for a 780? (CPU i5 4670k, stock)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00918MEZG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's a great deal for a gold rated PSU

So I definitely want to start buying some parts for my first build ever and noticed that the i5 4670K 3.4GHz is $179.99 at Micro Center in-store, which seems like a great price. Is it smart to buy this part first and then continue to gather the rest of the parts over the next few months here and there?

as long as your build's happening within 2014, i'd go for it

also may want to check out micro center's CPU/mobo bundles if you have a preference for one of those motherboards.

Bloody Nine

Neo Member
Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get some feedback on my first pc build:
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3AlEK
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3AlEK/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3AlEK/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H87M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.24 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($239.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Enermax ECA3253-BW ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Micro Center)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($8.88 @ Amazon)
Total: $734.06
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-28 20:34 EDT-0400)
I've already started buying some of the parts, but I have a few questions:
1. Is the motherboard I've chosen good for this build? I really don't know what I should be looking for in a good one.
2. I'd like to be able to use wifi on the computer, but I'm not really sure if the adapter I chose is any good. I basically chose the one I did because it had a lot of good reviews and was cheap. Will it work well enough, or should I go for something different?
Thanks

When does the processors refresh usually happen, later in the year?

at least for this round, haswell refresh is coming next month, devil's canyon is coming at the very beginning of june, and haswell-E is coming at some point in Q3 or Q4

not sure when all the other recent refreshes happened, i've been a bit out of the loop since 2011

sturmdogg

Hey guys, need feedback on this gaming build I got in mind. I need this to run BF4 and Watch Dogs in medium to high settings.

INTEL CORE I5-3470
ASUS P8H77-M LE
2x KINGSTON HYPERX BLU 8GB 1600MHZ (KHX1600C10D3B1/8G)
KINGSTON 120GB SSDNOW V300
WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB BLUE 3.5" SATA (WD10EZEX)
EVGA GT640 2GB DDR3 128BIT DUAL SLOT (02G-P4-2643-KR)
COOLER MASTER 690 II ADVANCE USB 3.0
LITEON IHAS-124 24X SATA BLACK
COOLER MASTER EXTREME 2 625W
CREATIVE SB 5.1 VX PCI

Total cost is around $875.

So I'm a little bummed that I didn't pay enough attention and my noctua c14 won't fit with my mini itx gigabyte nz87, so I think um just gonna grab one of the corsair hydro coolers and use the stock fan till next week. The chip slot is right next to the pcie slot so I can't fit my cars in there.

I need one of the single fan corsairs though, as i still need an archaic optical drive. Which one should I be looking at?

kennah

Hey guys, need feedback on this gaming build I got in mind. I need this to run BF4 and Watch Dogs in medium to high settings.

INTEL CORE I5-3470
ASUS P8H77-M LE
CREATIVE SB 5.1 VX PCI

GPU won't actually do anything positive for gaming. You need a 650 Ti BOOST or 750 Ti at a bare minimum. Cut out the sound card for now and get a better GPU.

sturmdogg

GPU won't actually do anything positive for gaming. You need a 650 Ti BOOST or 750 Ti at a bare minimum. Cut out the sound card for now and get a better GPU.

Getting a 750Ti will push the total price up to $1020. I'd love to get the card but I'm not sure I can swing that at this time. :(

What do you mean by "won't do anything positive for gaming"? It won't run those 2 games at medium to high?

kennah

Getting a 750Ti will push the total price up to $1020. I'd love to get the card but I'm not sure I can swing that at this time. :(

What do you mean by "won't do anything positive for gaming"? It won't run those 2 games at medium to high?

Definitely not. Anything under a 650 is more of a 'business workstation' card than a gaming card, and won't run games very well at all.

INTEL CORE I5-3470
ASUS P8H77-M LE
CREATIVE SB 5.1 VX PCI

Do you really need 16GB of RAM? That GPU is barely better than my old 5570 which runs BF3 on med-low sub 30fps @ 1050p... I doubt it'll play BF4 at a playable framerate.

elfinke

Anyone here made the transition from air to H2O cooling in their system? Did it make a noticeable improvement to the sound?

I'm thinking of grabbing some 'better' fans for my case in order to quieten it (as well as new filters/sound dampening seals etc), but was wondering if going the whole hog and grabbing H2O kits for GPU and CPU would be worth it.

Reuenthal

Banned
I am looking at building a reasonably powerful PC that will last a couple years. My last PC was from 2008 and it broke at 2012 december and I have been using my laptop instead with which I can't really play anything remotely new.

So far I am thinking of this: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3A03w

Any better option than them or for the ones I didn't choose such as power supply? Not debatably better could be same performance, stability but cheaper. Then there are debatably better I guess.

Also 4770 vs 4770k vs 4670 vs 4820 vs 4771. Kind of confusing. Currently I see 4770k as the better option. Will the AMD processors become better as games use more cores?

Also, Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 or Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H?

appaws

Banned
Anyone here made the transition from air to H2O cooling in their system? Did it make a noticeable improvement to the sound?

I'm thinking of grabbing some 'better' fans for my case in order to quieten it (as well as new filters/sound dampening seals etc), but was wondering if going the whole hog and grabbing H2O kits for GPU and CPU would be worth it.

Interesting that you mention it, as I have a big box of water cooling components showing up tomorrow. My first time getting wet. I bought one of the higher-end XSPC kits with the Photon res and the D5 pump....I will definetly post some pics and impressions when I am done putting it together.

I will say that a few weeks ago I bought an inexpensive fan controller, plugged all of my case fans and heatsink fans into that instead of the MOBO, set them all at 40% speed and it is dramatically quieter than it was before, with at most a 1-2 degree temp difference even when running IBT.

appaws

Banned
I am looking at building a reasonably powerful PC that will last a couple years. My last PC was from 2008 and it broke at 2012 december and I have been using my laptop instead with which I can't really play anything remotely new.

So far I am thinking of this: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Any better option than them or for the ones I didn't choose such as power supply? Not debatably better could be same performance, stability but cheaper. Then there are debatably better I guess.

Also 4770 vs 4770k vs 4670 vs 4820 vs 4771. Kind of confusing. Currently I see 4770k as the better option. Will the AMD processors become better as games use more cores?

Also, Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 or Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H?

I think you should look at the different builds suggested in the OP and use those as your starting point. Then you should fill out the little questionaire that you see there and repost it here. Where you live and your overall budget are very important?

Unfortunately, AMD CPUs are miles behind for gaming right now....miles. Intel are better at every price range. I have not seen anything that convinces me that AMD CPUs are suddenly going to become better because of multi-core gaming. I know they have made some big engineering hires recently on the CPU side, so I am hoping that in a few years we might see some movement back towards parity...?

Their graphics cards are great though, especially in certain price ranges.

sturmdogg

Do you really need 16GB of RAM? That GPU is barely better than my old 5570 which runs BF3 on med-low sub 30fps @ 1050p... I doubt it'll play BF4 at a playable framerate.

This will double as my work station (web dev, image editing, etc) so I figure the more RAM the better.

Will these GPUs be better than the GT640?

Asus GTX 760
EVGA GTX660 SC-2 2GB DDR5 192BIT

Mozendo

You're going to want the permalink URL. It's below the System Build and the part buttons
8rPnT.png

Okay got a question of my own.
So I have a 8800 GT, just bought a GTX 770 that should be arriving by the end of the week, and I'm using GeForce Experience for driver and what not.

Anywho how can I delete the drivers for the 8800 GT? Is it even necessary?
Sorry for the dumb question

appaws

Banned
This will double as my work station (web dev, image editing, etc) so I figure the more RAM the better.

Will these GPUs be better than the GT640?

Asus GTX 760
EVGA GTX660 SC-2 2GB DDR5 192BIT

Oh yes. By far. That Asus with the Direct CU cooler is a great card.

Okay got a question of my own.
So I have a 8800 GT, just bought a GTX 770 that should be arriving by the end of the week, and I'm using GeForce Experience for driver and what not.

Anywho how can I delete the drivers for the 8800 GT? Is it even necessary?
Sorry for the dumb question

http://www.overclock.net/t/1150443/how-to-remove-your-nvidia-gpu-drivers#post15432476

Reuenthal

Banned
You're going to want the permalink URL. It's below the System Build and the part buttons

Thanks, fixed now I hope.

I think you should look at the different builds suggested in the OP and use those as your starting point. Then you should fill out the little questionaire that you see there and repost it here. Where you live and your overall budget are very important?

Unfortunately, AMD CPUs are miles behind for gaming right now....miles. Intel are better at every price range. I have not seen anything that convinces me that AMD CPUs are suddenly going to become better because of multi-core gaming. I know they have made some big engineering hires recently on the CPU side, so I am hoping that in a few years we might see some movement back towards parity...?

Their graphics cards are great though, especially in certain price ranges.

I am looking to build a new system that will last for several years with everything new other than monitor, and maybe keyboard, mouse and the budget I come up with is about 1500 euros. I am in Cyprus, and I will probably import most of them from overclockers.co.uk or Amazon.co.uk. My budget is not set in stone, that is I might be willing to go lower but I am leaning on not when it comes to this card for this price http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-348-SP and I heard good things for 4770.

Can you have a look at my parts? http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3A03w haven't picked a power supply yet.

Are SSDs worth it?

P3P5I

Hey guys, quick question about replacing a motherboard. My old motherboard (Gigabyte G1 Guerilla) seems to have burned out after 4 years, and I'm looking to get a new one that is compatible with my processor (Intel I7-960 3.2GHz), which has a LGA 1366 socket. Is my processor not compatible with the ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 motherboard socket? If so, I have searched Newegg for motherboards supporting the LGA 1366 socket, but they are pretty expensive. Is $250 the lowest I can find a new motherboard for my processor?

Edit 2: I just talked with my roommate, and he suggested I not buy another 1366 motherboard and instead opt to buy a 1155 compatible processor or something near it and buy the same socket motherboard, which would probably be the same price as buying an overpriced 1366 board.

LordAlu

I think it looks great, I'm not fond of big cases, I still can't decide about windowed with internal "frost blue" leds or not, I read somewhere that windowed cases were noisier and that the leds get annoying after a while, but it would look awesome.

Also: will this PSU be compatible? And is 550W enough for a 780? (CPU i5 4670k, stock)

I've built in an Aerocool DS before. They're very nice cases but it was not particularly easy to build in - cable management is a little difficult and the shape makes screwing the motherboard in a challenge with a normal screwdriver. They do look mighty pretty though :)

elfinke

Interesting that you mention it, as I have a big box of water cooling components showing up tomorrow. My first time getting wet. I bought one of the higher-end XSPC kits with the Photon res and the D5 pump....I will definetly post some pics and impressions when I am done putting it together.

I will say that a few weeks ago I bought an inexpensive fan controller, plugged all of my case fans and heatsink fans into that instead of the MOBO, set them all at 40% speed and it is dramatically quieter than it was before, with at most a 1-2 degree temp difference even when running IBT.

Fantastic, I look forward eagerly to your impressions.

Interesting you say that about the fan controller. I've read in a few places that people bought one, plugged it in and were more than happy with those results. I might look into that as well, thanks.

LilJoka

Check out the Silverstone TJ08E

appaws

Banned

I am looking to build a new system that will last for several years with everything new other than monitor, and maybe keyboard, mouse and the budget I come up with is about 1500 euros. I am in Cyprus, and I will probably import most of them from overclockers.co.uk or Amazon.co.uk. My budget is not set in stone, that is I might be willing to go lower but I am leaning on not when it comes to this card for this price http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-348-SP and I heard good things for 4770.

Can you have a look at my parts? http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3A03w haven't picked a power supply yet.

Are SSDs worth it?

1. My wife never asks me to have a look at her parts anymore. I think that build looks very good. It will certainly be a very capable machine for gaming with that 290x and a 4770k. You should be good for a bit of overclocking with that setup as well.

2. One change you might make is to change that RAM with the big heat-spreaders sticking out the top of it for something low-profile. The heat spreaders don't really do anything, and I am afraid they might get in the way when mounting your Noctua heatsink unit. You could use something like G. Skill Ares or Corsair Vengance LP for about the same price I would guess.

3. SSDs are VERY worth it. I consider them a "must have" at this point. They do more than any other upgrade to make your system responsive, quick, and enjoyable to use. You could change yours to a Samsung EVO instead of the pro. You won't notice any difference in performance. If there is a little extra cash in the budget, you could bump up to a 500gb model.

4. As for a power supply, you want fully modular which means there are no extra cables laying around everywhere, you only plug in the ones you need. I think something like the Corsair RM650 or the EVGA Supernova 650G would be outstanding choices. There was a really glowing review of what EVGA is doing with those power supplies recently on PCPer. Very Impressive.
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-...NOVA-750G2-and-850G2-Gold-Power-Supply-Review
I went with Gold Rated ones since you have a pretty good budget and are buying all high-end stuff.

LilJoka

Are SSDs worth it?

Heres my config for you
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3ACDb

That AC i30 performs the same as the Noctua, and also has the same noise output, but lot cheaper.
Seasonic PSU, modular for a nice clean setup. Its actually £80 at scan.co.uk - http://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w-seasonic-s12g-80plus-gold-psu-with-120mm-silent-fan
Samsung Evo rather than Pro, the cost difference is not worth it.

Id probably go for this Hitachi 3TB too. Cheapest here http://www.ballicom.co.uk/0s03661-hgst-idk-deskstar-nas-h3iknas30003272se--hard-drive--3-tb--internal--35--sata600--7200-rpm--buffer-64-mb.p1005073.html. Ive used this site to purchase my GTX 780 =)

This rig can be made smaller into mATX or even miniITX (if you arent going to SLI/Xfire).

bennycash

Neo Member
at least for this round, haswell refresh is coming next month, devil's canyon is coming at the very beginning of june, and haswell-E is coming at some point in Q3 or Q4

not sure when all the other recent refreshes happened, i've been a bit out of the loop since 2011

Yeah, I think I"m going to go pick up the i5 4670k today at Micro Center, and just build my first computer around that over the next 2 to 3 months to have it built mid-summer. Hopefully, I'll post back soon another build that I am thinking to go with the processor.

kharma45

Is this the best deal I can expect for a Hyper 212 Evo in the near future? The price seems to be very stable right now and not prone to dropping any time soon. I'm also leery of getting a rebate on this thing, because the last time I tried to get a rebate from Cooler Master, it took over a month for the stuff to get to them, never mind get processed.

Get the Plus for $10 less http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

Difference is minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom