• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

Quick question for you guys.

I'm basically going to be getting a build that is almost exactly like this:

I don't plan on doing anything fancy with it, just want a good solid modern computer.

However, I found this RAM on Amazon:

Kingston KHX16C9B1RK2/8X HyperX Red 8GB (4GB 512M x 64-Bit x 2 pcs.) DDR3-1600 CL9 240-Pin DIMM Kit

It's so much cheaper than the above that I thought there might be something undesirable about it. What do you think, is Kingston crap?

Also, I still have some thermal paste from the last time I built a computer around 2008. should it be fine to still use that? Or will the CPU come with its own anyway?

Nope that ram is fine. In fact there are regularly 8gb sets on sale for even a bit less than that. But either way that's a good price.

appaws

Banned
Would probably go for a 660Ti over that GPU, same power consumption, temps and performance, however the 660Ti overclocks nicely and youll get a good perf boost. If you cant be bothered with overclocking, then again either card works.

Some good info here on all the mentioned cards
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2013/11/13/amd-radeon-r9-270-review/10

I'm confused what you are saying here. I just compared the two on PC Parts Picker and that 660ti is a lot more expensive than a R9 270 is....why are you comparing those two?
You can get a Twin Frozr R9 270 for $179.99....and the cheapest 660ti is 239.99...Did you mean the vanilla 660 and not the TI...?

He could actually get a R9 270X for that much, which would beat the 660ti performance wise. To be frank...Nvidia is just not competitive price/performance wise in a lot of these price ranges.

I know the internets hates hearing this right now....because "my brothers roommates cousins neighbor had an ATI card in 1999 and it might have had driver problems....so I won't consider a completely different company staffed with completelydifferent people decades later." But on price/performance AMD GPUs are the price/performance winners at most price ranges now that the mining craze has subsided.

The Sentinel

Neo Member
ok..this my first time building a PC..and want help/suggestion with Some parts (Motherboard, CPU, RAM and Power Supply).

Video card: Sapphire r9 290 tri-x OC
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Blue 8 GB (2x4) 1600 mHz-DDR3
Processor: i5-4570 LGA 1150
Motherboard: MSI ATX DDR3 1333 LGA 1150/H87-G43
Budget: 900-1000 $
Main use : 5 Gaming- 3 General Usage
Monitor Resolution: planning to hook it up to my 42 tv for now, and maybe will get a 1080p monitor later.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: nothing in my mind right now, but want to run most games on 1080/1440p and achieve 60 fps or above with ultra/high setting.

Looking to reuse any parts?: nope.
When will you build?: at the end of June.

also i'm planning to order all the parts from amazon..

Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated.

appaws

Banned
ok..this my first time building a PC..and want help/suggestion with Some parts (Motherboard, CPU, RAM and Power Supply).

My build will mainly focus on gaming and general usage (watching movies-browsing...etc), btw is this build good enough to run games on 1080p/1440p on ultra setting and achieve 60 fps or above? Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated.

I think you should start by reading through the OP and filling out the questions there and posting it here. Where you are and your overall budget are most important...

Ashhong

My build will mainly focus on gaming and general usage (watching movies-browsing...etc), btw is this build good enough to run games on 1080p/1440p on ultra setting and achieve 60 fps or above? Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated.

I'm no expert but if you want performance I think you should get the i5 4670k and a Z87 motherboard for overclocking

appaws

Banned

Budget: 900-1000 $
Main use : 5 Gaming- 3 General Usage
Monitor Resolution: planning to hook it up to my 42 tv for now, and maybe will get a 1080p monitor later.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: nothing in my mind right now, but want to run most games on 1080/1440p and achieve 60 fps or above with ultra/high setting.

Looking to reuse any parts?: nope.
When will you build?: at the end of June.

also i'm planning to order all the parts from amazon..

Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated.

It's gonna be tough I think to fit in an R9 290 for your budget. Maybe something like the "excellent" build in the OP...or like this:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ChLi
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ChLi/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ChLi/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($143.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($429.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1017.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-01 22:01 EDT-0400)

You could chop 100 bucks by going down to an R9 280X or a GTX 770 and it would still be a monster at 1080p. In fact, I would recommend that you do that and add in an SSD.

OK GAF I really need some help. I recently built a mini itx system and got a notcua c14. Due to the MOBO i got (Gigabyte n287), it didn't fit. So I ordered a corsair h60. I got that today, took off the intel air cooler, cleaned the CPU, and installed the H60. I also invested in a fan splitter since I only have 2 ports on the MOBO for fans. I also redid my wiring to make it a little neater inside.

Now I am having crazy problems after turning it back on. I am running a crucial M500, and prior to the new cooler, everything was crazy fast, typical SSD speed. Now, its like running off a regular HDD. I have a GTX770, and when running ESO last night, barely dropped below 60. Log in after the change, and I am getting like 3 FPS. Total Slideshow. I have the H60 block running off the CPU fan port, and have a front intake, rear exhaust, and the H60 intake running off the splitter that is on the sys fan 4 pin slot. All fans are running, and are spinning decently on start up, then slow down.

I tried running speedfan to check temps, and It crashed my PC, with a Driver_IRQ error that I haven't seen in years.

Any idea what could be going on? Even the internet is running super slow. How can I tell if the block is pumping? Should there be a noise or anything or what?

I am really perplexed, especially with the whole system just being slow. I am used to seeing one thing or another be slow, but not just a total bog down like this.

What is the difference between the Biostar Hi-Fi Z87 X and W models?

The only thing I can find is that the X has AMD crossfire. Do I need that if I am going Nvidia?

So I'm about 5-6 months away from building my PC from the ground up (I have nothing, currently), but by that time I'll have around $3,500 to sink into it.

Biggest thing I'm wondering is what the graphics card market will look like.

JJDubz

My brother has asked me for help on building him a pc for heavy video/photo/music editing. He is used to doing it all on a $250 laptop that he bought last summer. Rendering takes ages on that thing, so he's ready to jump in and get something with more power. Above all he wants things be as cheap as possible while still being able to get things done. The next thing would be a small case. As small as possible that will still keep temps low. (not really sure if temperatures are a problem in new mini-ITX cases, as I have never built a small case machine.)

Your Current Specs: $250 Laptop
Budget: 700-800
Ram: I'm guessing 16 will be ideal due to the way that the machine will be used; though I do not know enough about editing machines to be sure.
Main Use: Video Editing = 5, Photo Editing = 5, HD Playback = 5, Gaming = 2 (He will end up gaming with me over the net, he just doesn't know it yet. This shouldn't be a problem, as the 670 is a great card and I'm sure the processor that has to be good enough for video editing will be more than enough.)
Monitor Resolution: 1080p (already has monitor)
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Photoshop, Sony Vegas, & some music editing software
Looking to reuse any parts?: my old EVGA 670 2gb
When will you build?: The next 2 weeks
Will you be overclocking?: No
Mouse and keyboard will be tackled afterwards; he has both but may pick up a high quality mouse and mechanical keyboard. I let him use my keyboard for 10 minutes and he was already dreading using his own again.

The main reason I'm posting this for help is I closed out the build I had made on pcpartpicker and lost about an hour of research to human error.

Last thing. I'm having him build it on his own. I told him his best bet is to find a build tutorial that uses a very similar if not the same case.

If anyone will a bit more experience than me could point me towards a build or help out with the build that would be great.

So I booted into my board settings and the CPU fan is running 4k rpm but my CPU temps are in the 90s idling, so ita throttling down to like 200mz. I guess the pump isn't working. Sigh. I really don't wanna have to twae the thing down to put the stock cooler back and then rebuild the thing when I get a new cooler. Should have stuck with a laptop

OK, Here is my proposed build.

I wanted to stick around $1000, and be able to play emulators, indie games, and run last gen games at 1080P and 60FPS. I have $500 in Amazon gift cards, so I chose them as the vendor for everything.

CPU i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core $234.99
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO $29.95
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z87X 3D ATX LGA1150 $159.73
Memory Corsair Venge LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 $96.99
Storage Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" SSD $73.99
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM $59.99
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Superclocked ACX $288.27
Case Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower $79.99
Power Supply Antec 550W ATX12V $64.99

OS will come from Reddit.

Total: $1100

Here is the partpicker link

This will be my first real PC ever. I am kind of excited! :D

Sky Chief

After a few days with my new PC I have come to the conclusion that the h440 and h100i are not the best combination. My PC does look nice though.

1sOWO3o.jpg

Basically, been checking everything for stability and after running Prime95 for about 15 minutes the temps go up from pretty stable at about 60 max to 80+ and then stay there. I took the side panel off and noticed that if I put my hand under the radiator fans it almost felt like the we're blowing down into the case. It seems that there are not enough vents on the top of the case to expel the radiator heat and the airflow is actually hitting the top of the case and coming back inside. So I took the top of the case off and sure enough temps gradually fell back to high 50s-60 and stayed there and the PC actually was more quiet because the fans ratcheted down so much.

So now I am left with a few options:

1 Get rid of the h440 and get something with better airflow
2 Mount the h100i at the front of my case and set it to pull air into the PC through the radiator
3 Return the h100i and get a different closed loop system that can be mounted where the rear fan is
4 Just ignore it because how often will my CPU be under that much stress

Now I haven't even started over clocking yet and I want to so I am going to eliminate option 4 for now. I feel like 2 makes the most sense, it should be fairly easy to setup and will cost me the least money, time, and aggravation. I'm just worried that there may not be enough airflow through the front of the case either. I kind of wish I would have gone with an R4 now because you can mount the rad at the top with no obstructions to the airflow.

Also, the fucking Corsair Link will not detect my h100i. I have been researching this and seems to be an issue with Windows 8.1 but haven't found a fix that works for me. Anyone?

Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions, comments, etc...?

Goddard

Is there any good 120hz 1080p 22 inch monitors? I am currently using a 1080p 60hz TN BenQ monitor, and want 120fps gaming, but can't afford the absurd 27 inch 1440p 120hz monitors. My budget is $250.

Still on a 2500k OC to 4.4ghz and loving it.
Paired with a GTX 670 OC'd. 1080P with great frame rates.

WIll likely upgrade later on the year. Broadwell 14nm CPU and Geforce 8xx series when they have gone 20nm.

Ashhong

After a few days with my new PC I have come to the conclusion that the h440 and h100i are not the best combination. My PC does look nice though.

Nice case though. I like how the drive bays are closed off. Makes the case look really compact with not much extra space. I feel like my R4 is a monster compared to that

Sky Chief

Nice case though. I like how the drive bays are closed off. Makes the case look really compact with not much extra space. I feel like my R4 is a monster compared to that

Yeah, this is the only major issue I've had but it may be a deal breaker. Otherwise the design, both aesthetic and in terms of putting components into it is fantastic. Previous to this issue the only thing I wished was that the case was aluminum, I easily would have paid double for that.

The R4 doesn't look that much bigger and probably has better airflow

Basically, been checking everything for stability and after running Prime95 for about 15 minutes the temps go up from pretty stable at about 60 max to 80+ and then stay there. I took the side panel off and noticed that if I put my hand under the radiator fans it almost felt like the we're blowing down into the case. It seems that there are not enough vents on the top of the case to expel the radiator heat and the airflow is actually hitting the top of the case and coming back inside. So I took the top of the case off and sure enough temps gradually fell back to high 50s-60 and stayed there and the PC actually was more quiet because the fans ratcheted down so much.

2 Mount the h100i at the front of my case and set it to pull air into the PC through the radiator
3 Return the h100i and get a different closed loop system that can be mounted where the rear fan is

Now I haven't even started over clocking yet and I want to so I am going to eliminate option 4 for now. I feel like 2 makes the most sense, it should be fairly easy to setup and will cost me the least money, time, and aggravation. I'm just worried that there may not be enough airflow through the front of the case either. I kind of wish I would have gone with an R4 now because you can mount the rad at the top with no obstructions to the airflow.

Also, the fucking Corsair Link will not detect my h100i. I have been researching this and seems to be an issue with Windows 8.1 but haven't found a fix that works for me. Anyone?

Why don't you get a phanteks or a noctua. It'll be cheaper than the 100i and ull get good temperatures.

The Sentinel

Neo Member
I'm no expert but if you want performance I think you should get the i5 4670k and a Z87 motherboard for overclocking

Well..I changed the Motherboard to Z87 in case I needed to overclock it in the future..thanks!
You could chop 100 bucks by going down to an R9 280X or a GTX 770 and it would still be a monster at 1080p. In fact, I would recommend that you do that and add in an SSD.

Thank you so much! I decided to pick up a case & hard drive from a local store, and settled with this specs, is there anything that may "Bottlenecked" my video card or the overall performance? thanks in advance.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Ck2P

mkenyon

Banned

Take a pic of the fans on the radiator. I swear it looks like they are setup to pull air.

Also, what fans are you using?
Well..I changed the Motherboard to Z87 in case I needed to overclock it in the future..thanks!

Thank you so much! I decided to pick up a case & hard drive from a local store, and settled with this specs, is there anything that may "Bottlenecked" my video card or the overall performance? thanks in advance.

Get the "K" processor. 4670K instead of 4670.

Even a modest bump to 4.0-4.2 GHz will greatly improve smooth play in a huge number of games.

VoxPop

Damn my HDD just died on me. About 3 years old. Is that normal? My SSD also died about 1.5 years in. Is there something I should have done or maintained?

Anyways, time to go shopping. Looking for 128-256GB'ish SSD and a 1 TB storage HDD. Any recommendations?

BIGWORM

Damn my HDD just died on me. About 3 years old. Is that normal? My SSD also died about 1.5 years in. Is there something I should have done or maintained?

Anyways, time to go shopping. Looking for 128-256GB'ish SSD and a 1 TB storage HDD. Any recommendations?

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147248

Good price/GB ratio. Can't really go wrong there. Numerous people ITT, including myself, have this SSD.

appaws

Banned
Still on a 2500k OC to 4.4ghz and loving it.
Paired with a GTX 670 OC'd. 1080P with great frame rates.

WIll likely upgrade later on the year. Broadwell 14nm CPU and Geforce 8xx series when they have gone 20nm.

Yep, those are such great parts. You built at a great time to get a nice "futureproofing." Of course you could also say that the industry is not pushing forward fast enough! Is the glass half full or half empty?

I wanted to stick around $1000, and be able to play emulators, indie games, and run last gen games at 1080P and 60FPS. I have $500 in Amazon gift cards, so I chose them as the vendor for everything.

That looks great to me. I don't know anything about Biostar, but I see that the guys here who know their stuff are recommending their motherboards, so thumbs up!

Nope, looks good to me. But, you have to get the "k" chip to go with that Z87 motherboard. The "k" means that it is an "unlocked" chip for overclocking. Don't forget to get a CPU cooler like the Cooler Master 212+.

I also recommend that you get what is called "low profile" RAM. Basically that means that it does not have those big crazy (and useless) fins sticking off the top. (called heat spreaders, although they do nothing). You need that because the tall heat spreaders can make it difficult to mount your heatsink on your CPU. The most often recommended "low-profile" RAM on here is something like G.Skill Ares, or I believe Corsair has a version of their "Vengance" that is called Vengance LP.

These are my current specs.

MSI Z77A-G45 Motherboard
i5-3570k
16gigs of ram
EVGA GeForce GTX 680+ 4GB w/Backplate

I want to upgrade my processor to an i7-3770k for all the new games coming out like Watch Dogs and Wolfenstien which their recommended specs require an i7. My question is, should I just go with the i7-3770k, a new mobo with a i7-4770k, or get a new graphics card. My main goal is to be able to run these games maxed out at 1080p/60fps on my tv.

Thanks for the help.

appaws

Banned
These are my current specs.

MSI Z77A-G45 Motherboard
i5-3570k
16gigs of ram
EVGA GeForce GTX 680+ 4GB w/Backplate

I want to upgrade my processor to an i7-3770k for all the new games coming out like Watch Dogs and Wolfenstien which their recommended specs require an i7. My question is, should I just go with the i7-3770k, a new mobo with a i7-4770k, or get a new graphics card. My main goal is to be able to run these games maxed out at 1080p/60fps on my tv.

Thanks for the help.

I would not make a CPU move like that now. Wait and see what Z97 and "Devil's Canyon" are going to be performance wise. The release in like a month.

Some of the Z97 motherboards being previewed look amazing:
ASUS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGDznDI09Wg
GIGABYTE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKiB7JTEBYM

Ashhong

The R4 doesn't look that much bigger and probably has better airflow

Why don't you get a phanteks or a noctua. It'll be cheaper than the 100i and ull get good temperatures.

I know it's not much bigger physically. But the way that the 440 is designed inside makes it look smaller. There's a lot of "empty space" when I look in the R4. Obviously this probably makes for better air flow so I'm not complaining.

Sky Chief

I'm going to investigate this tomorrow. Given that the case was specifically designed for water cooling, something seems amiss.

Thanks!

I'm not even sure if it's that much of a problem. When I start Prime95 it runs at 60 max for the first 15-20 minutes and only then does the temp start going up to 80+ when the cooling seems to get overwhelmed. It's almost like when the fans start really running fast they start pushing the hot air into the roof of the case and then it gets ricocheted back thought the radiator and into the case so it just keeps getting hotter and hotter. I have a theory that if the fans were running more slowly the cooling might actually be better because the hot air would escape instead of re entering the case but I can' test this because the shitty Corsair Link does not seem to cooperate well with Windows 8.1 and will not recognize my h100i so I can't adjust any of the settings or profiles. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

The reason I say it may not be much of a problem is because the performance is fine for 20 minutes or so on Prime95 until it reaches a critical mass and then things start going up and up. How often is your CPU going to be under that kind of load in practical use? However, I have not even started over clocking yet and it seems like this could be a major obstacle.

What do you think about maybe trying to mount the rad at the front of the case and pulling air through it? Seems to me like that could result in better airflow as air will not be getting ricocheted back into the case when the fans are at high speed. I'm just wondering if the intakes will provide enough airflow though.

bill0527

I'm going to be buying a new video card in about 2 weeks for my birthday at the end of this month.

Current specs:

i5 2500k OC'd to 4.2
560Ti 1GB
8GB Corsair DDR3 1333 RAM
Samsung SSD 240GB

My budget is $300 and I'll be gaming at 1920x1080

There are R9 280x cards on Newegg right now for $320-$340 and I could squeeze that out however, the most recent reviews posted for that card are awful. Post after post of people complaining about artifacting. So I'm scared. The other option I'm thinking of is maybe a 4GB 760. Any recommendations?

mkenyon

Banned
I just installed a H60, that is set up as pull. Hopefully I am not jumping into the middle of a conversation here. For intake you wanna flip the radiator on the other side of the fan with corsair logo faxing out. There are arrows on the fan.
Pull is always worse than push.

The Sentinel

Neo Member
Get the "K" processor. 4670K instead of 4670.

Even a modest bump to 4.0-4.2 GHz will greatly improve smooth play in a huge number of games.

Nope, looks good to me. But, you have to get the "k" chip to go with that Z87 motherboard. The "k" means that it is an "unlocked" chip for overclocking. Don't forget to get a CPU cooler like the Cooler Master 212+.

I also recommend that you get what is called "low profile" RAM. Basically that means that it does not have those big crazy (and useless) fins sticking off the top. (called heat spreaders, although they do nothing). You need that because the tall heat spreaders can make it difficult to mount your heatsink on your CPU. The most often recommended "low-profile" RAM on here is something like G.Skill Ares, or I believe Corsair has a version of their "Vengance" that is called Vengance LP.

wow..didn't know about memory low profile! thanks guys for the info..really appreciate it.

mkenyon

Banned
Intake is push, right? Thats an example of pull is it not? Or do I have it backwards?
Intake and exhaust are separate from push and pull.

I'm on mobile, otherwise I'd draw a diagram. But in words, it's about how the fans are moving air. You always want to push the air through the radiator, just as Sky Chief has it setup above. If you were to intake, you would have the fans oriented to the radiator in the exact same way, but above it.

For almost all setups though, you want to exhaust with push.

Jafku

The only problem with your build is the 760 4GB. I think you should pony up the difference and get a 770 2GB, or get a 2GB 760.

I know it's not much bigger physically. But the way that the 440 is designed inside makes it look smaller. There's a lot of "empty space" when I look in the R4. Obviously this probably makes for better air flow so I'm not complaining.

Do you have a micro ATX mb? Cause that would make sense

Edit: Btw the h440 appears to have a lot of room up top for a radiator and fan setup. The fans are easily clear of the motherboard. That's something I wish the R4 had. More room up top

I'm going to be buying a new video card in about 2 weeks for my birthday at the end of this month.

Current specs:

i5 2500k OC'd to 4.2
560Ti 1GB
8GB Corsair DDR3 1333 RAM
Samsung SSD 240GB

My budget is $300 and I'll be gaming at 1920x1080

There are R9 280x cards on Newegg right now for $320-$340 and I could squeeze that out however, the most recent reviews posted for that card are awful. Post after post of people complaining about artifacting. So I'm scared. The other option I'm thinking of is maybe a 4GB 760. Any recommendations?

You can get a 2gb 770 for around that price. That's what I would get

Ashhong

My 550w XFX will be able to handle the 270X and an overclocked 4670k right? Along with a few case fans, the CM 212 EVO, ssd, hdd and an ASUS soundcard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom