• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
guys i need help.
i am going to build a pc for next gen games next to my ps4.
i can't decide between an 8 core amd or a 4 core intel.
with watch dogs on the corner. it seems it is beter to pick up an 8 core amd over the 4core intel? as the watch dogs ultra spec prefers the AMD FX-9370 over the Intel Core i7-3770.
i this the new thing in pc gaming because of the consoles 8 core?

here are my options:
amd: http://www.alternate.nl/ALTERNATE/Upgrade-Kit-ASRock-970-Extreme3-FX-8350-8-GB/html/product/1075231?tk=7&lk=9432

intel: http://www.alternate.nl/ALTERNATE/Upgrade-Kit-MSI-B85M-P33-i5-4440-8GB/html/product/1102073?tk=7&lk=9450

remember you can OC the FX-8350 to FX-9370
what should i pik?

i5

MisterM

how high can i run watch dogs with that i5 kit and HD7950/7970 3gb ddr5?

watch dogs spec
http://www.ign.com/wikis/watch-dogs/PC_System_Requirements

No one REALLY knows because the games isn't even out yet. I have an i5 3570 and a 2GB 7870XT and I come between Recommended and Ultra so you should be close to Ultra settings according to that link.

Obviously real world settings may be different and it is an Ubi game after all. ;D

Tinzo

Banned
No one REALLY knows because the games isn't even out yet. I have an i5 3570 and a 2GB 7870XT and I come between Recommended and Ultra so you should be close to Ultra settings according to that link.

Obviously real world settings may be different and it is an Ubi game after all. ;D

thanks for the good answer.
so basically have to wait till watch dogs is out.

Corum

I've signed up to Virgin's superfast broadband (80mbps) but the 10-year old Belkin wireless adapter I've got at the moment doesn't let me peak past 10mbps. It's probably time to upgrade.

Please can someone recommend a wireless network adapter?

riflen

Hi guys! I curently have GTX560 in my PC and while browsing ncix jsut for fun I saw this

http://www.ncix.com/detail/gigabyte-radeon-hd-r9-270x-b1-90924-1308.htm

I feel like the price is good but I'm not sur if it's 200$ better than my old card. I have a 1080p monitor and a 2500k @ 3GHz. Thanks for the help!

The 270x is a 7870 with some slight improvements to memory and core speed (and the one you linked is factory over-clocked on top of that). This bench only shows some of the story (average frames per second), but it might give you some idea of what to expect.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/548?vs=543

Sylvatica

Hey guys!
So I got everything up and running. Win 8.1 Pro installed etc.
Realised a bit late that the mobo only has 1 chassis fan connector. Maybe I will get a fan control drive in the future.

14078945842_158b7a2761_b.jpg
13895496598_16441d7642_b.jpg

Now I'm not quite sure if I have to tweak/configure my mobo/RAM/SSD.
This is what CrystalDiskMark says about my SSD:

Oh and big thanks to everyone for helping me!

mkenyon

Banned
guys i need help.
i am going to build a pc for next gen games next to my ps4.
i can't decide between an 8 core amd or a 4 core intel.
with watch dogs on the corner. it seems it is better to pick up an 8 core amd over the 4core intel? as the watch dogs ultra spec prefers the AMD FX-9370 over the Intel Core i7-3770.
i this the new thing in pc gaming because of the consoles 8 core?

here are my options:
amd: http://www.alternate.nl/ALTERNATE/Upgrade-Kit-ASRock-970-Extreme3-FX-8350-8-GB/html/product/1075231?tk=7&lk=9432

intel: http://www.alternate.nl/ALTERNATE/Upgrade-Kit-MSI-B85M-P33-i5-4440-8GB/html/product/1102073?tk=7&lk=9450

remember you can OC the FX-8350 to FX-9370
what should i pik?
Check out the motherboards and procs in the OP. Get a Z87 board and a K processor listed there.
Have we heard any rumblings about GSync televisions? My PC lives under the TV in my living room. Having GSync on my TV would change my life.
It will only happen when HDMI spec is improved, or if TVs start using displayport. HDMI doesn't have the bandwidth for 1080p@120Hz, let alone 144hz, let alone 1440p at either of those.
Guys, guys!

Gaming at 144Hz and 144fps.

sofuckingood.gif
Welcome to Real Next Gen.
Now I'm not quite sure if I have to tweak/configure my mobo/RAM/SSD.
This is what CrystalDiskMark says about my SSD:
Nothing needed.

I have a feeling this isn't going to end well...

I bought a Windows 7 key from the Reddit software swap site 5 1/2 weeks ago. The key was fine and fully activated with no problems until 5 minutes ago.

The copy is now saying it is not genuine (bottom right text in Windows stating "This copy is not genuine").

When I try to activate via Windows Activation I get a popup box stating "The copy of Windows you are using does not pass genuine validation etc etc"

I have restarted, and also run a system restore to a few days ago.

Why would it take this long to flag as an issue?

bennycash

Neo Member
Hey all, updated my parts based on my last posting, with a few parts purchased. Couldn't pass up the CPU/mobo combo deal at Micro Center so I am going to pick the parts around that at some point. Below is what I currently have and plan on getting unless you see something odd or a way to cut back the costs. Also, i'm not entire sure about the power supply and if it will be sufficient, so any recommendations would help. I'm also debating whether or not to spend the money and get an SSD. Seems like they're really worth it from what I read.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $189.99)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $114.99)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($87.32 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $49.99)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Dual Superclocked ACX Video Card ($249.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Micro Center)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $835.22
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-01 15:00 EDT-0400)

liquidtmd

Banned
Hey all, updated my parts based on my last posting, with a few parts purchased. Couldn't pass up the CPU/mobo combo deal at Micro Center so I am going to pick the parts around that at some point. Below is what I currently have and plan on getting unless you see something odd or a way to cut back the costs. Also, i'm not entire sure about the power supply and if it will be sufficient, so any recommendations would help. I'm also debating whether or not to spend the money and get an SSD. Seems like they're really worth it from what I read.

SSDs are insanely worth it. Do it. Even a 60GB SSD for the OS and applications would be well worthwhile.

Stubo

That's what I keep hearing! Any other comments on the build?
SSDs are definitely worth it if you can fit one into your budget. The M500s especially are very good value for money.

The build looks solid, the only comment I have is maybe look at getting some RAM without heat spreaders.

b0bbyJ03

can someone give me an introduction to pc audio? i purchased a gtx 780 and i assumed that the hdmi port would put out all the audio formats but it seems to only put out stereo. no dolby digital, no dts. I also noticed that my mobo, even tho it has an optical out, also doesnt do dolby digital (at least i can't seem to find out how to do it). I have a pair of Astro a40s that i use for my consoles and i would love to use it for my pc as well with dolby. Can anyone give me a quick rundown? thanks.

Groof

So I got my SSD last night. I switched from the Crucial M550 last minute because another site had a flash sale on Samsung 840 Evos, so I went with that instead.
Installed it an hour ago. And all I can say is...

Holy shit.

LilJoka

can someone give me an introduction to pc audio? i purchased a gtx 780 and i assumed that the hdmi port would put out all the audio formats but it seems to only put out stereo. no dolby digital, no dts. I also noticed that my mobo, even tho it has an optical out, also doesnt do dolby digital (at least i can't seem to find out how to do it). I have a pair of Astro a40s that i use for my consoles and i would love to use it for my pc as well with dolby. Can anyone give me a quick rundown? thanks.

Right click speaker icon next to the windows clock, click playback devices, configure the nVidia HDMI output to send out 5.1.

The nVidia HDMI output supports all Dolby and DTS codecs. You need to give us your complete setup, PC and what you are plugging the HDMI into. Also itll only output DTS/Dolby if your content is DTS/Dolby.

LordAlu

So I got my SSD last night. I switched from the Crucial M550 last minute because another site had a flash sale on Samsung 840 Evos, so I went with that instead.

Holy shit.
image.php

I'll never go back to using a system without an SSD. When they upgraded the systems in my workplace here I pushed for SSDs. They're invaluable.

image.php

I'll never go back to using a system without an SSD. When they upgraded the systems in my workplace here I pushed for SSDs. They're invaluable.

One of my PCs is a work and games machine. When it is a work machine the slow access of a HDD is appreciated (Windows taking an age to load and sort itself out). Not so when I wish to game...

Groof

image.php

I've no idea how I have lived without this for so long. Couldn't have been happier with my decision. Next up is a bigger HDD & GPU upgrade. The hype is real.

Will my ssd come with screws? My case came without all the little contents in the box.

I called corsair and they won't be able to get me another until half a month. It's only cable ties, extra fan screws, and the hard drive screws so I can live without them, I just wanna know if I gotta run out to radioshack or not. It's a samsung ssd btw.

Stubo

It's not really important to secure SSDs as much since they have no moving parts.

I've seen lots of uses of double sided tape to hold them in place in unique places, you could get creative if it concerns you.

Will my ssd come with screws? My case came without all the little contents in the box.

I called corsair and they won't be able to get me another until half a month. It's only cable ties, extra fan screws, and the hard drive screws so I can live without them, I just wanna know if I gotta run out to radioshack or not. It's a samsung ssd btw.

At least in some online shop,s there are 2 versions. One contains only an SSD Evo 840, one includes a 3.5 bracket, screws, a sata cable and a sata to usb 2.0 cable. It costs around 20bucks more or something like that, so I'd suggest to see where it's cheaper to get screws and the 3.5 bracket if you need it.

But you don't really need it. Know many people who just place them somewhere on top/under their HDDs. Or on bot of their case.

Holy shit.

Welcome Brother

Mine was just the drive but given they have no moving parts and are not magnetic you can stick them anywhere on your system with some nice tape.

Hello everyone so I decided to finally upgrade my PC (mine is going on 8 years i think..lol) and I just wanted to make sure I picked the correct parts:

Corsair Vengeance White 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz Ram

Gigabyte LGA 1150 Intel B85 HDMI SATA 6Gbps USB 3.0 Micro ATX DDR3 1600

Intel Core i5-4430 Quad-Core Desktop Processor 3.0 GHz 6 MB

EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti Superclock w/G-SYNC Support 2GB GDDR5 128bit

Power Supply
Antec VP-450 450 Watt Energy Star Certified Power Supply

Case
NZXT Source 210 ELITE Midtower Case with 3.0 USB

Is there anything I should trade off for something a little more expensive or perhaps something cheaper? I don't want to spend too much money since I work and go to school full time so my gaming time is severely limited right now.

mkenyon

Banned
Hello everyone so I decided to finally upgrade my PC (mine is going on 8 years i think..lol) and I just wanted to make sure I picked the correct parts:

Power Supply

Case

Is there anything I should trade off for something a little more expensive or perhaps something cheaper? I don't want to spend too much money since I work and go to school full time so my gaming time is severely limited right now.
Great for a budget build.

Go Hawks! :p

*edit*

Actually, the R9-270 would be a worthy price increase.

b0bbyJ03

Right click speaker icon next to the windows clock, click playback devices, configure the nVidia HDMI output to send out 5.1.

The nVidia HDMI output supports all Dolby and DTS codecs. You need to give us your complete setup, PC and what you are plugging the HDMI into. Also itll only output DTS/Dolby if your content is DTS/Dolby.

Thanks for the response. My build consists of a 3570k, GTX 780, Asus p8z77-I deluxe and a 1 year old 7.1 Yamaha receiver that has all the latest codecs

LilJoka

Thanks for the response. My build consists of a 3570k, GTX 780, Asus p8z77-I deluxe and a 1 year old 7.1 Yamaha receiver that has all the latest codecs

OK so thats all you need to do. Youll see the 5.1 lights lit up on the display once done. Itll output PCM by default. When you send DTS/DD content it will be bitstreamed and the Yamaha DD/DTS lights will light up.

If you connect your headphones to the Yamaha headphone jack, it should output the DD/DTS audio stream. Im not sure on the headphones specifics because most use DSP software on the PC to mix a DD track from stereo which gives the surround feel.

Power Supply

Case

I believe this works out at a similar cost:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3C8Qb

GTX 660 is slightly quicker than the 750Ti, also some cost savings on the RAM and Mobo (managed to fit a Z series for future CPU upgrades) to get a nicer PSU.

appaws

Banned

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $189.99)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $114.99)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($87.32 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $49.99)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Dual Superclocked ACX Video Card ($249.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Micro Center)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $835.22
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-01 15:00 EDT-0400)

Looks good to me.

Great for a budget build.

Go Hawks! :p

*edit*

Actually, the R9-270 would be a worthy price increase.

Or if you are absolutely stuck at that price range, the R7 265 is better than the 750ti...costs the same, and comes with 2 free games.

I believe this works out at a similar cost:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3C8Qb

GTX 660 is slightly quicker than the 750Ti, also some cost savings on the RAM and Mobo (managed to fit a Z series for future CPU upgrades) to get a nicer PSU.

Oh that's a good build and might actually come out cheaper then mine, I might just go with this, thanks.

Looks good to me.

Or if you are absolutely stuck at that price range, the R7 265 is better than the 750ti...costs the same, and comes with 2 free games.

I can spend more I'd just rather not, since I won't be gaming too much on it, unfortunately.

LilJoka

b0bbyJ03

OK so thats all you need to do. Youll see the 5.1 lights lit up on the display once done. Itll output PCM by default. When you send DTS/DD content it will be bitstreamed and the Yamaha DD/DTS lights will light up.

If you connect your headphones to the Yamaha headphone jack, it should output the DD/DTS audio stream. Im not sure on the headphones specifics because most use DSP software on the PC to mix a DD track from stereo which gives the surround feel.

Thanks amigo. Your advice got me what I was looking for.

Finally pulling the trigger on a build. I want to mainly focus on indies, but I'd still like to be able to max out last gen games. I get really confused when trying to buy a GPU card. Budgeting $300 or so for a card. What kind of performance can I get from an i5 CPU and $300 in Nvidia cards?

Should I buy an i7 the future proof my system?

mkenyon

Banned
Finally pulling the trigger on a build. I want to mainly focus on indies, but I'd still like to be able to max out last gen games. I get really confused when trying to buy a GPU card. Budgeting $300 or so for a card. What kind of performance can I get from an i5 CPU and $300 in Nvidia cards?

Should I buy an i7 the future proof my system?
You'll get more out of $100 in a video card than the i7.

You can expect 60 fps @ 1080p in just about everything. 120 fps @ 1080p in probably 80% or more.

Quick question for you guys.

I'm basically going to be getting a build that is almost exactly like this:

I don't plan on doing anything fancy with it, just want a good solid modern computer.

However, I found this RAM on Amazon:

Kingston KHX16C9B1RK2/8X HyperX Red 8GB (4GB 512M x 64-Bit x 2 pcs.) DDR3-1600 CL9 240-Pin DIMM Kit

It's so much cheaper than the above that I thought there might be something undesirable about it. What do you think, is Kingston crap?

Also, I still have some thermal paste from the last time I built a computer around 2008. should it be fine to still use that? Or will the CPU come with its own anyway?

TTUVAPOR

Banned
What are you planning to do with it? Are you just looking to play GW2 on it or do you want to be able to play continuously modern games on it? Filling out the form from the OP is a great way to help us help you.

I would have filled that out but I've been doing a lot of research and I think I know what I need to build. My main concern was just figuring out what I could salvage from my current PC that's not broken and see what other parts I need to buy.

Fast forward to this evening, I got home from work and started troubleshooting my pc. I took out my vid card and used the mobo vid card to start the pc, and it started up, and went to the desktop. BSOD eventually came up and it was the atihd72.sys error. So after research, it's the audio driver for the onboard soundcard on the mobo. I also have a Realtek soundcard...which I can't figure out where that is inside my case.

Essentially it seems I have two sound cards?? Anyway, there was an error with the ATI mobo card for some reason so when I got to boot to the desktop, I immediately uninstalled it and of course after a few minutes it auto-reinstalls it and seeks out drivers.

As of right now, my PC is working fine. I've done several restarts and it boots up fine. I've also done hard shutdowns and it still boots up to the desktop. Hopefully I've fixed it.

For the time being, I'm going to continue using my current rig, but at least I know my wife will buy my a new rig if this one does truly go kaput.

Thank you PCgafers for all your advice and insight. I'm new to this community but I'm so glad I was approved a few weeks ago when I signed up for this forum. I've been a lurker of this forum for about six years.

I need a PC Monitor again, this time its for home office use.

I absolutely loved the Benq VW2420h when I had it for non gaming, but its been discontinued. Anywhere I can find it now? If not does anyone know what the replacement model is?

This was a VA panel for under 200, so anything you guys can recommend would be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom