• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiyomi

If you're not losing money on it and you're not worried by the slight increase in power consumption, why not? Your R4 is a quiet case after all.

Ashhong

If you're not losing money on it and you're not worried by the slight increase in power consumption, why not? Your R4 is a quiet case after all.

Sigh, I need to work on not being so indecisive. But yea, bought it. Figured why not. Honestly don't think my R4 is that quiet but I won't mind a little more noise. Thank god for Shoprunner free return shipping

kharma45

I'm going to be buying a new video card in about 2 weeks for my birthday at the end of this month.

Current specs:

i5 2500k OC'd to 4.2
560Ti 1GB
8GB Corsair DDR3 1333 RAM
Samsung SSD 240GB

My budget is $300 and I'll be gaming at 1920x1080

There are R9 280x cards on Newegg right now for $320-$340 and I could squeeze that out however, the most recent reviews posted for that card are awful. Post after post of people complaining about artifacting. So I'm scared. The other option I'm thinking of is maybe a 4GB 760. Any recommendations?

You could get an R9 280 which is the 7950 rebranded. Not much slower than the 280X. $260 after rebate plus three games http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=. 280X is probably worth the small extra though. 770 is around $310.

So I'm about 5-6 months away from building my PC from the ground up (I have nothing, currently), but by that time I'll have around $3,500 to sink into it.

Biggest thing I'm wondering is what the graphics card market will look like.
3,5k$? holy moly! As long as you don't plan to get 3x 27" monitors and a 2-3way SLI, you should be fine with 1,5k$ and still have a beast of a machine.
Also, graphics market won't chane alot, if any at all in the upcoming months. 28mm Won't be out before end of '14.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7873/new-haswell-k-overclocking-enhancements

I want....but I have been spending so much money on water cooling stuff.....my wife is gonna stick my head in the oven like in Goodfellas.
You want it. Do it. Dooooo iiiiiiit ! Ò_ó haha

I'm going to be buying a new video card in about 2 weeks for my birthday at the end of this month.

Current specs:

i5 2500k OC'd to 4.2
560Ti 1GB
8GB Corsair DDR3 1333 RAM
Samsung SSD 240GB

My budget is $300 and I'll be gaming at 1920x1080

There are R9 280x cards on Newegg right now for $320-$340 and I could squeeze that out however, the most recent reviews posted for that card are awful. Post after post of people complaining about artifacting. So I'm scared. The other option I'm thinking of is maybe a 4GB 760. Any recommendations?
Go for a GTX 770 2gb, 4gig on the 760 isn't worth it.
Intake and exhaust are separate from push and pull.

I'm on mobile, otherwise I'd draw a diagram. But in words, it's about how the fans are moving air. You always want to push the air through the radiator, just as Sky Chief has it setup above. If you were to intake, you would have the fans oriented to the radiator in the exact same way, but above it.

For almost all setups though, you want to exhaust with push.

Another lesson learned. You for sure know lots of interesting stuff hehe

Here's the problem with the H440 and H100i: the top of the case is really closed off with small vents, while the frame you attach the H100i to is really open, with room for 140mm fans and huge holes for cable management. It's easier for exhaust to cycle back through the frame than to pass through the vents at the top of the case.

I saw straight away this would happen while migrating my build and closed off the top of the frame with posterboard. Sounds ghetto as fuck, I know.

I didn't test without the posterboard, but my max temp is only 3 degrees highers than my old case with it, which I don't think is significant.

EDIT: To be clear, I have an H100i also, and run it at very low speeds (default fans start growling at ~1300 RPM, not sure if it's just me but it's annoying as fuck)

kiyomi

Sigh, I need to work on not being so indecisive. But yea, bought it. Figured why not. Honestly don't think my R4 is that quiet but I won't mind a little more noise. Thank god for Shoprunner free return shipping

Time to switch all your fans to NF-A14s! :p

Ashhong

Time to switch all your fans to NF-A14s! :p

lol

Well I don't know about all but I plan on getting this fan and putting it in the exhaust, and moving the R4 fan to the front. I'll have 2 intake and 1 exhaust for positive pressure, which is best right?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8593024&CatId=494

Review I read said it's even better than Noctuas fans and its cheaper and in white lol

edit: I might also change the fan on my CM 212 evo to this. Might as well

Stubo

lol

Well I don't know about all but I plan on getting this fan and putting it in the exhaust, and moving the R4 fan to the front. I'll have 2 intake and 1 exhaust for positive pressure, which is best right?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8593024&CatId=494

Review I read said it's even better than Noctuas fans and its cheaper and in white lol

edit: I might also change the fan on my CM 212 evo to this. Might as well
Which fan is this? The link didn't load properly on my phone.

The Noctua NF-F12 is what I'd recommend for your 212 evo, it's focused flow which is better for heatsinks/radiators.

Ashhong

Which fan is this? The link didn't load properly on my phone.

The Noctua NF-F12 is what I'd recommend for your 212 evo, it's focused flow which is better for heatsinks/radiators.

Oh, maybe it's the link. It is the Phanteks 140mm SP

I'll probably wait a bit on the Evo fan though. Remembered I can't use this one for CPU fan anyway

Sky Chief

Here's the problem with the H440 and H100i: the top of the case is really closed off with small vents, while the frame you attach the H100i to is really open, with room for 140mm fans and huge holes for cable management. It's easier for exhaust to cycle back through the frame than to pass through the vents at the top of the case.

I saw straight away this would happen while migrating my build and closed off the top of the frame with posterboard. Sounds ghetto as fuck, I know.

I didn't test without the posterboard, but my max temp is only 3 degrees highers than my old case with it, which I don't think is significant.

EDIT: To be clear, I have an H100i also, and run it at very low speeds (default fans start growling at ~1300 RPM, not sure if it's just me but it's annoying as fuck)

Where is your h100i mounted? At the front? Would love to see a picture if you have one.

knitoe

8Af6K6Kh.jpg

I am almost 100% the fans are in a push setup. The fan side, without any obstruction, sucks air in, while the other side, with arms support, push air out.

I need assistance!

I'm really into the hype of Watch Dogs but, until July, I'll be abroad for working with only my laptop and a 360 controller to fulfill my gaming needs.

This is my machine:

Notebook: Acer Aspire V5-573G (Aspire V5 Series)
Processor: Intel Core i5 4200U
Graphics Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 4GB
RAM: 8GB

Do you think I can run Watch Dogs, based on the recommended specs released, on a decent way - as in better than Xbox 360/PS3 and close to Xbox One/Ps4?

I need assistance!

I'm really into the hype of Watch Dogs but, until July, I'll be abroad for working with only my laptop and a 360 controller to fulfill my gaming needs.

This is my machine:

Notebook: Acer Aspire V5-573G (Aspire V5 Series)
Processor: Intel Core i5 4200U
Graphics Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 4GB
RAM: 8GB

Do you think I can run Watch Dogs, based on the recommended specs released, on a decent way - as in better than Xbox 360/PS3 and close to Xbox One/Ps4?

Well, it isn't out yet, so nobody can for 100% sure say how the game will perform on whatever hardware. But you should be fine on mid settings, maybe even some highs?
It'll at least look like on PS360.

Javier23

Banned
Guess I will just post this here seeing that it is the go-to hardware thread of NeoGAF. I'm building a new rig after quite a few years and I just got my new screen the other day (a Dell S2440L). Might sound weird but up until now I've gone along with my old 17" CRT. I'm out of the country right now, but I got someone to pick it up and give it a try for me. Turns out, they tell me, that it has a stuck/dead pixel of a quite strange kind. I'm told it is black, so one would assume that it is probably dead with no chance of reviving it, but somehow when using JScreenFix they can see it lighting up (on hindsight I should have asked whether intermitently or continuously). As soon as you stop the program though, it goes back to black.

Has anyone had a stuck pixel like this before? And any particular advice?

Well, it isn't out yet, so nobody can for 100% sure say how the game will perform on whatever hardware. But you should be fine on mid settings, maybe even some highs?
It'll at least look like on PS360.

Yeah, I've been able to play recent games on high settings but the specs released seem to be demanding and we all know how Ubi is with PC ports...

If I am able to run the game on 1366 x 768 with a good framerate, I'll dive into it as it will be enough for me not to double dip with console then.

diaspora

Guess I will just post this here seeing that it is the go-to hardware thread of NeoGAF. I'm building a new rig after quite a few years and I just got my new screen the other day (a Dell S2440L). Might sound weird but up until now I've gone along with my old 17" CRT. I'm out of the country right now, but I got someone to pick it up and give it a try for me. Turns out, they tell me, that it has a stuck/dead pixel of a quite strange kind. I'm told it is black, so one would assume that it is probably dead with no chance of reviving it, but somehow when using JScreenFix they can see it lighting up (on hindsight I should have asked whether intermitently or continuously). As soon as you stop the program though, it goes back to black.

RMA

appaws

Banned

That's weird. It is essentially a 7970 after all, and those have been around for a while. Are those reviews of all of them in general or just from a particular manufacturer...?

Yeah, I've been able to play recent games on high settings but the specs released seem to be demanding and we all know how Ubi is with PC ports...

If I am able to run the game on 1366 x 768 with a good framerate, I'll dive into it as it will be enough for me not to double dip with console then.

Yeah right -looking at AC series -, Ubi's PC ports kinda need double the hardware as other PC ports.
But then again, I believe the recommended hardware is nothing but bs.. Not even in my wildest dreams would It think that this will be reality.

Ally1987

So I bought corsair 120mm quiet edt. twin pack afterall, insted just one Noctua. they were not as quiet as I had hoped for, but looks nice thoug.

RsJ.jpg

Maybe the pixel lights up under certain RGB values? You could go into MS paint and see if it will fill in under pure RGB values. I doubt there is anything you can do to fix it, and I doubt Dell will take it back because of one defective pixel.

DSN2K

picked up AMD 8150 FX(i know lol) on ebay for £60, cant complain since im using a phenom ii X4 955 currently. With watercooling(what I have) I should be able to overclock this thing to 8300FX series levels hopefully. think I've got a nice bargain what should tide me over till next year.

bill0527

That's weird. It is essentially a 7970 after all, and those have been around for a while. Are those reviews of all of them in general or just from a particular manufacturer...?

The reviews I read were of one particular card. The cheapest one at newegg right now is $319 and it's an Asus card. Seriously like the first page and a half solid of reviews are people complaining about artifacting issues.

$319 is stretching my budget to the max for a video card and the Asus card is the only R9 280x I can squeeze under my budget. I'll look at some of the other recommendations people have posted though. The gtx 770 2GB card looks like a possibility also.

mkenyon

Banned

Hmmmmmmm interesting.
Okay, that seems like a good idea
I see you have a Formula V, yes?

If so, plug your H100i fans into the motherboard headers, and control their speed that way since you aren't able to get the Corsair Link software working. I think there's an OS level/GUI fan control program for the RoG boards too. 1200 RPM should be plenty fast as a max speed.
I am almost 100% the fans are in a push setup. The fan side, without any obstruction, sucks air in, while the other side, with arms support, push air out.
Yes, this is correct with every fan I know of.

The reviews I read were of one particular card. The cheapest one at newegg right now is $319 and it's an Asus card. Seriously like the first page and a half solid of reviews are people complaining about artifacting issues.

$319 is stretching my budget to the max for a video card and the Asus card is the only R9 280x I can squeeze under my budget. I'll look at some of the other recommendations people have posted though. The gtx 770 2GB card looks like a possibility also.

How about $309 for the OC R9 280X Gigabyte Windforce?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125490

I think I have everything fairly well locked in, but GPU's continue to baffle me.

Let's say I have a ballpark of around $300 with a little wiggle room on either side. I want to go Nvidia.

Is it better to get a 4GB 760 card or a 2GB 770 card? I will be running a single monitor setup if that matters.

kiyomi

I think I have everything fairly well locked in, but GPU's continue to baffle me.

Let's say I have a ballpark of around $300 with a little wiggle room on either side. I want to go Nvidia.

Is it better to get a 4GB 760 card or a 2GB 770 card? I will be running a single monitor setup if that matters.

Saterium

Completely stupid questions but I figure someone has an easy answer.I'm looking to pickup a 256gb SSD this afternoon. Any major difference between these brands - Samsung 840 Pro, ADATA SX900 or Sandisk Ultra Plus?

All the read/write speeds seem to be within 50 mb of each other. Prices are all about the same too. Any brand that's more reliable then the next?

kharma45

Yeah 770.

Completely stupid questions but I figure someone has an easy answer.I'm looking to pickup a 256gb SSD this afternoon. Any major difference between these brands - Samsung 840 Pro, ADATA SX900 or Sandisk Ultra Plus?

All the read/write speeds seem to be within 50 mb of each other. Prices are all about the same too. Any brand that's more reliable then the next?

Samsung would be the best out of those. The Pro isn't worth the extra though over the 840 Evo, or the Crucial M500 either.

How do you know whether a video card will be compatible with your computer? Is it based off your motherboard? I want to upgrade my video card but I don't know how to start.

LilJoka

I'm confused what you are saying here. I just compared the two on PC Parts Picker and that 660ti is a lot more expensive than a R9 270 is....why are you comparing those two?
You can get a Twin Frozr R9 270 for $179.99....and the cheapest 660ti is 239.99...Did you mean the vanilla 660 and not the TI...?

He could actually get a R9 270X for that much, which would beat the 660ti performance wise. To be frank...Nvidia is just not competitive price/performance wise in a lot of these price ranges.

I know the internets hates hearing this right now....because "my brothers roommates cousins neighbor had an ATI card in 1999 and it might have had driver problems....so I won't consider a completely different company staffed with completelydifferent people decades later." But on price/performance AMD GPUs are the price/performance winners at most price ranges now that the mining craze has subsided.

Yes my mistake, hit the 660 filter by accident on pc part picker. Get the 270 its a lot cheaper.

How do you know whether a video card will be compatible with your computer? Is it based off your motherboard? I want to upgrade my video card but I don't know how to start.

Mostly depends on power supply (especially if you're going to overclock) and case size. The CPU can bottleneck your GPU performance as well, but that's likely not going to happen unless you're trying to run a Titan Black on a pentium processor or something similar in that divide. Not really an issue at all to be honest, unless your mining. At least from what I've heard in the past.

Just make sure you have a decent power supply (gives 200 wattage gap between it and the output of the entire rig) and that the card will fit in the case that you own.

PSU Corsair CX 500M 500W
MB MSI 970A-G46 AMD 970 950 AM3 + R
CPU AMD 6 Core FX-6300 3.5G 8M R
SAPPHIRE HD 5870 2G VAPOR-X
SSD 128G Samsung
MEM 4Gx2 GSKILL F3
CPUCOOL ARCTIC FREEZER

With that PSU, you could probably get an R9 270X (Can be found for ~$199, but I think TigerDirect has the XFX on sale for $159 after rebate right now). It's (stock) TDP is about 8W lower than your HD 5870 and the BF3 Benchmark has ~75% increase in FPS and it comes with 2 free games.

You should probably run that by one of the gurus here before buying though because I've heard conflicting opinions about that PSU...

With that PSU, you could probably get an R9 270X (Can be found for ~$199, but I think TigerDirect has the XFX on sale for $159 after rebate right now). It's (stock) TDP is about 8W lower than your HD 5870 and the BF3 Benchmark has ~75% increase in FPS and it comes with 2 free games.

You should probably run that by one of the gurus here before buying though because I've heard conflicting opinions about that PSU...

Cool, thanks for the recommendation. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this. I don't have an issue spending 250-300 for the right card.

mkenyon

Banned
Cool, thanks for the recommendation. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this. I don't have an issue spending 250-300 for the right card.
A better GPU is going to increase overall framerates, but if you are used to experiencing some choppiness, stuttering, or general slowdows, that will not be fixed until you swap out the proc/mobo. I only say this to temper expectations of what a GPU upgrade will bring.

That being said, I think the GTX 760 would be a great fit for your build at $250.

A better GPU is going to increase overall framerates, but if you are used to experiencing some choppiness, stuttering, or general slowdows, that will not be fixed until you swap out the proc/mobo. I only say this to temper expectations of what a GPU upgrade will bring.

That being said, I think the GTX 760 would be a great fit for your build at $250.

Thanks, I didn't realize the GTX 760 had lower TDP.

He's right about the GTX 760, Here's a comparison between the two using your CPU.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9_Wn6w3InU

Smurf Yetti

Neo Member
Hey guys,

I need feedback for building a relatively portable gaming desktop for my buddy in college. Budget for everything is ~1000-1200 dollars.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($110.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($114.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Case: BitFenix Phenom Midnight Black Mini ITX Tower Case ($79.99 @ TigerDirect)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($149.00 @ B&H)
Total: $1079.91

Hey guys,

I need feedback for building a relatively portable gaming desktop for my buddy in college. Budget for everything is ~1000-1200 dollars.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($110.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($114.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Case: BitFenix Phenom Midnight Black Mini ITX Tower Case ($79.99 @ TigerDirect)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($149.00 @ B&H)
Total: $1079.91

K processor needs a Z mobo for overclocking... Or if your aren't overclocking, throw a non-K CPU on that mobo and save money.

kennah

Sadly the bitfenix cases aren't all that much smaller than a regular mid tower.

You could look into a cheaper case, which will allow you to get a cheaper Z87 motherboard (which is required to take advantage of the K chip).

You can also save a bit of cash by getting an EVO instead of a PRO. Only super professional applications need the PRO, an EVO is way more than enough for general use/gaming.

Otherwise, super solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom