• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go Intel, Haswell i5 or i3 will be better for gaming than that Vishera, look for a Z87 motherboard.
I would also get a Hyper 212 EVO instead of the T4.

Get the 2gig. 4gig is useless on a GTX 760. It's like throwing money out of the window - well kinda.

Get an i3 4130 instead over the FX 6300. Read this as to why http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=105518879&postcount=9470

Thanks!

switched out for a hyper 212, Z87, i5 4570 and this card.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
For a specific tailored build AMD can fit great, I try to make sure the person understands what tradeoffs they are making.

Overall for good performance in the now with an upgrade path that makes sense I like suggesting the Intel builds. IMO for most the slightly higher upfront cost is worth saving a tad more.

An i3 has HT which applies well to almost every game that can use 4 cores (IIRC there's like 2 games in benches which I've seen it not fare as well) and the jump from i3 to i5 or i7 is huge compared to an FX 6xxx to FX 8xxx later on. CPUs aren't getting much faster at all (See 5-10% per gen for Intel) and new socket features are mostly useless for gaming.

Get an i3 4130 instead over the FX 6300. Read this as to why http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=105518879&postcount=9470
Increased power cost really should be the last thing on the list, zzzzzzzzz

For a specific tailored build AMD can fit great, I try to make sure the person understands what tradeoffs they are making.

Overall for good performance in the now with an upgrade path that makes sense I like suggesting the Intel builds. IMO for most the slightly higher upfront cost is worth saving a tad more.

An i3 has HT which applies well to almost every game that can use 4 cores (IIRC there's like 2 games in benches which I've seen it not fare as well) and the jump from i3 to i5 or i7 is huge compared to an FX 6xxx to FX 8xxx later on. CPUs aren't getting much faster at all (See 5-10% per gen for Intel) and new socket features are mostly useless for gaming.

Well sure, I know Intel offers higher performance, but also at a tad higher cost. And in my opinion, I'd rather go with a cheaper AMD build which still works out great for gaming at 1080p with a GTX 760, and get a larger SSD to store all games on it.

I don't even think about something like upgrade paths when it's about CPUs, as they nearly release a new socket with every new gen.
And power savings on a gaming rig.. well.. I'd understand if it's because of a weaker PSU which is already owned, and there isn't money for a upgrade. But other than that, I'd suggest going with a console which needs half/even less if some watts more under load is a concern haha

Tablo

Your opinion is fine and dandy, but objectively wrong. Significant performance increases and similar prices. It's not ambiguous.

What is linked doesn't talk about saving power costs. As a result of the higher power consumption you need a better PSU and you get higher temperatures so you need a better cooler.

And also a better motherboard.

Use the BIOS to set the fan speed so it only spins up when the heat increases if you haven't done so already.
I'll do that as soon as I can figure out what's a reason target temperature for the CPU and what percentage the minimum for the CPU cooler's RPMs should be since MSI Click Bios wants those figures.

A target temp of 50C and a minimum fan speed of 25% shouldn't hurt an i5-3570K, right?

Pachimari

Guys, is it a HDMI>DVI cable like this I need for my second monitor?

I already use the HDMI port on my GTX 780 for my HDTV, and a DVI port for my monitor #1.

EDIT:
I have a DVI-D port available on my computer but I can't see if the cable is DVI-D?

wJEiq8b.jpg

It says it's a male cable.

Ashhong

Use the BIOS to set the fan speed so it only spins up when the heat increases if you haven't done so already.

Is this the same as the option in Advanced Power Options? There's something like "active" cooling where the fans increase before the heat increases I think.

Atlas157

I assume you aren't in a dorm, because I would be going Mini ITX then.
I would also drop the H100i, get a 70$~ Noctua or something, drop the 290X to a 780, and use the savings to get a 256 GB SSD. Or if you want a small, quiet, build in say the Obsidian 250D, an ITX build could be arranged.

I'm living in my own apartment so space isn't a problem, I'm not bothered by noise either because I wear headphones while gaming. I want to overclock so that's why I chose water. I want to keep the 290x.

Lots of 'bad value' parts there. Good parts though.
Fill out the OP for your budget/needs.

Off the cuff:
i5, smaller case especially for college, 290x is super overkill unless you know you need the power, get a 250GB EVO instead, water is overrated imo go air unless you like the looks.

Does the 4670k preform the same as the 4770k while gaming? If so then I'll just get an i5 so I can add a 256GB SSD. I want to overclock so that's why I chose water and I want the power of the 290x.

Is there a better cooler than the H100i?

I'm living in my own apartment so space isn't a problem, I'm not bothered by noise either because I wear headphones while gaming. I want to overclock so that's why I chose water. I want to keep the 290x.

Does the 4670k preform the same as the 4770k while gaming? If so then I'll just get an i5 so I can add a 256GB SSD. I want to overclock so that's why I chose water and I want the power of the 290x.

Is there a better cooler than the H100i?

Almost no difference for gaming between an i5 and i7.

Well, better compact WC? No, not really. Others cost around the double of the H100i. Air? Maybe, some reviews/people don't recommend the H100i, as the pump seems to be kinda loud and expensive air cooler seem to be a tad better (?).

//edit:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/283065-29-noctua-corsair-h100i
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/h100i-elc240-seidon-240m-lq320,3380.html

Save some bucks and get a cheaper air cooler which performs better -> Noctua NH-D14 or 15

Bleepey

I bought a VGA to DVGA converter ( i think) for my 670 and for normal desktop stuff it seems to have a crisper picture than my HDMI cable, but when i play Arkham City it doesn't run and says no signal. What do i do?

Tablo

I second that, the Noctua D15 is a better cooler than the H100i. It is quite a beast.
If you want to OC for the sake of OCing waiting for Devil's Canyon could be fun, it is supposed to have better TIM and optimized for overclocking.

kharma45

Thanks!

switched out for a hyper 212, Z87, i5 4570 and this card.

Don't get a 4570, get the 4670K or else no overclocking.

Probably.

I'll do that as soon as I can figure out what's a reason target temperature for the CPU and what percentage the minimum for the CPU cooler's RPMs should be since MSI Click Bios wants those figures.

A target temp of 50C and a minimum fan speed of 25% shouldn't hurt an i5-3570K, right?

Try it and see. I just set mine to 50c and auto iirc.

Is this the same as the option in Advanced Power Options? There's something like "active" cooling where the fans increase before the heat increases I think.

Na it was just setting the speed of the CPU fan header.

Tablo

Boss★Moogle;110504917 said:
All you guys that are building 4770K / Z87 now, why wouldn't you wait a few days to get a 4790 / Z97 ?

Devil's Canyon is in June. If you can wait that's recommended.

Boss Mog

Devil's Canyon is in June. If you can wait that's recommended.

I saw the Haswell refresh listed for a May 11th launch on several sites, and Newegg already has several Z97 motherboards in stock right now.

EDIT: Ah, apparently the non-unlocked CPUs will launch on May 11th and the unlocked versions will launch June 2nd.

Boss★Moogle;110507020 said:
I saw the Haswell refresh listed for a May 11th launch on several sites, and Newegg already has several Z97 motherboards in stock right now.
Isn't Haswell-Refresh as "bad" as Haswell? Haswell is said to be running hotter and doesn't overclock as easy/much as Ivy.

Tablo

Isn't Haswell-Refresh as "bad" as Haswell? Haswell is said to be running hotter and doesn't overclock as easy/much as Ivy.

It's newer and faster than Ivy, it does run hotter, but it and Z87 are clearly superior to Ivy in terms of IPC and features. Devil's Canyon is Intel's answer to enthusiasts, it's the K series SKUs that are optimized for overclocking and allegedly improved TIM materials/techniques that will help cool the processors, allowing for better overclocking. Those come out June 2nd apparently, I would wait but if you can't that's fine, non refreshed Haswell parts run on the Z97 chipset so you can benefit from newer mobos if you want to.

Boss Mog

The Haswell refresh for locked CPUs will feature some minor architecture enhancements and a small clock boost (100-200MHz). They won't have the improved TIM of the unlocked versions though.

It's newer and faster than Ivy, it does run hotter, but it and Z87 are clearly superior to Ivy in terms of IPC and features. Devil's Canyon is Intel's answer to enthusiasts, it's the K series SKUs that are optimized for overclocking and allegedly improved TIM materials/techniques that will help cool the processors, allowing for better overclocking. Those come out June 2nd apparently, I would wait but if you can't that's fine, non refreshed Haswell parts run on the Z97 chipset so you can benefit from newer mobos if you want to.

Well good to know about that Devil's Canyon stuff, might think about getting that over Ivy for my next build in summer/fall.
Didn't wan't go go Haswell as they ran hotter, need more power and won't overclock that nice.

Ashhong

Omfg I installed my new XFX 550w and there is a loud ass clicking sound coming from it. I should have tested it before installing it and all the cables. FUCK. spent over an hour on the cable management.

Any solutions other than RMA? I can get a video if you guys want. It sounds like a click click click from the fans spinning

Pachimari

Guys, is it a HDMI>DVI cable like this I need for my second monitor?

I already use the HDMI port on my GTX 780 for my HDTV, and a DVI port for my monitor #1.

EDIT:
I have a DVI-D port available on my computer but I can't see if the cable is DVI-D?

wJEiq8b.jpg

It says it's a male cable.

Do somebody know if this is a DVI-D > HDMI cable?

If so, I'm gonna click on that 'order' button.

Omfg I installed my new XFX 550w and there is a loud ass clicking sound coming from it. I should have tested it before installing it and all the cables. FUCK. spent over an hour on the cable management.

Any solutions other than RMA? I can get a video if you guys want. It sounds like a click click click from the fans spinning

This happens all the time. There's something caught in the fan I bet.

Give it a few knocks and see if that fixes it (lol).

Akai__

Every time I come in this thread, I read about an other problem you have. You must have very bad luck. :lol

I don't think, that you will be able to fix it. You can try to run it, outside of the case and look if it gets any better. I wouldn't try to open it, because you would possible lose your RMA privilege.

Tablo

Every time I come in this thread, I read about an other problem you have. You must have very bad luck. :lol

I don't think, that you will be able to fix it. You can try to run it, outside of the case and look if it gets any better. I wouldn't try to open it, because you would possible lose your RMA privilege.
Tell me about it, Ashhong, I love your avatar dude/girl, but you just need to get a Seasonic unit or something to fix your woes haha

Ashhong

I know. I always have bad luck with this shit.

I knocked it around a bit and then just pushed on the chassis of it and the sound went away. Then I knocked it a bit more on accident and it came back lol. Able to minimize the sound enough for me not to notice.

But is this an issue that I should be worried about? If I can't hear it should I not bother RMAing it?

Tell me about it, Ashhong, I love your avatar dude/girl, but you just need to get a Seasonic unit or something to fix your woes haha

This XFX is made by Seasonic :(

I knocked it around a bit and then just pushed on the chassis of it and the sound went away. Then I knocked it a bit more on accident and it came back lol. Able to minimize the sound enough for me not to notice.

But is this an issue that I should be worried about? If I can't hear it should I not bother RMAing it?

I know exactly what it is, lmao. It's the power cord for the fan, it isn't taped down.

It baffles me how often this happens. Almost like PSU manufacturers don't bother turning the things on before they ship them. I've run into the issue with a Corsair PSU.

Try running it with the fan facing up.

Noticed that too, feel sorry for him already.

Could some part be broken inside and now the fan is hitting on it? Doesn't mean it's completely loose, maybe just bent a bit?

//
I know exactly what it is, lmao. It's the power cord for the fan, it isn't taped down.

It baffles me how often this happens. Almost like PSU manufacturers don't bother turning the things on before they ship them. I've run into the issue with a Corsair PSU.

Wow, or that. But never heard of something like this before.

Ashhong

Interesting, and there's nothing wrong with having the fan face up? I'll give that a go tonight when I get back home, thanks

Hawk269

Yeah, RMA. Also, next time, never do Wire Management until you are fully tested. I learned that the hard way as well. I actually build a new rig for my Wife...she is all of a sudden a gamer now. I was going to go with a small form-factor build, but just decided on a standard Mid-Tower. Got a i5-4670k in it and overclocked it to 4.2 and boy does that make a difference in certain games. We paired it with a EVGA GTX-770 Super Clocked and she is getting pretty much 60fps at full/max settings in Elder Scrolls, with just some drops to mid 40's in populated towns.

Which got me concerned because I have GTX Titans in SLI and I was dropping to the mid 30's in the same areas. I discovered that when we moved, my CPU overclock on my 3930x CPU got lost or corrupted or something because it was running at the stock speed. Once I re-applied my 4.8 OC it has been 60fps even in populated areas, I think I saw it drop to 55 or so a few times. I did not know that game was so CPU dependent.

Anyways, thanks to Mkenyon for the advice on my wife's computer. Ordered all the parts he suggested (other than bumping the GPU from a 760 to a 770 & going with a regular mid-tower than the Evga Hadron) it has worked out perfectly. I went with a Corsair h101 water cooler for her CPU cause I know I was going to push the OC to at least a 4.2 and wanted to keep it cool and it has worked out great!

Interesting, and there's nothing wrong with having the fan face up? I'll give that a go tonight when I get back home, thanks

As long as the air in your case isn't dusty as heck it'll be fine. You can try knocking the cable out of the fan by giving it a good shake too, that might work, maybe even permanently.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Take a flashlight and something long and move the fan power connector around if possible so it's not catching.

jakomocha

Heyo

Please check (and fillout) the OP. I would not get a Raidmax case or 780 off the bat before knowing what else your entire system is going to look like.
Lets start with what you would like and what your budget is.

To answer your questions a 770 / 280X will be more than enough. I'm still sitting here on a GTX670 (~GTX 760) and it still tears though everything I really want at 120Hz without much compromise.
Monitors are in the OP.

Your GPU will be good enough if you can drop that cash to run 1440p native so don't worry about 1080p on it.

AMD has more cores and runs at a higher clock speed, but they get less work done per cycle (Roughly 25-40% off the top of my head, don't lynch me). This is especially important for some specific game engines, but overall it is easy to say that right now for gaming Intel will give you a smoother (lower minimum framerate at the very least) experience, enough so that the core advantage isn't helpful for games now.

I know the OP is a tad old, but it's not that outdated except for the AMD pricing on GPUs, so hopefully if I get my shit together I can update it soon, but it hasn't been a priority because of life.
Don't worry, we got you :)
You're about to embark on epic journey, just give us your budget (how much $$ you want to spend) and some info on if you want a small and compact build (Mini ITX, highly recommended) or something else, etc.
As for the monitors, it comes down to this. Do you want better colors and visual fidelity, or response and low motion blur for gaming. Given you are just getting into this, I would maybe recommend a solid AMVA/IPS 1080p panel, something like the BenQ EW2740L. As you get more info you can make that choice. And yes Intel for the processor for sure, otherwise evaluate how much you want Nvidia's feature sets versus AMD, and make your choice. I typically recommend Intel/Nvidia + a healthy SSD (+HDD for storage) in a nice ITX chassis with air cooling, like a Fractal Node 304 or Corsair 250D.
Wow guys, thanks for all the responses. Here's my specs so far, but keep in mind some
(most)
things have not been decided and nothing is set in stone. I've also added a few categories, hope that is not an issue.
Specs

• OS: Windows 7, but a friend said he had a spare disc to give me for free so this won't cost
  • CPU: The intel 4770 or 4770k (or something else depending on your recommendation). I heard there are some new intel processors coming out soon, is that true? If so, is it worth the wait? How expensive will they be?
  • Motherboard: I honestly have no clue. I know almost nothing about motherboards. Any recommendations?
  • PSU: Not sure yet. Waiting to finish my build to see how many watts it will require.
  • CPU/Graphics: The GTX 780 Lightning seems really fantastic, even matching the Titan's benchmarks in quite a few cases. If I go for 1440p, it seems like this will be necessary. If I go for 1080p, then it's just overkill and I'd probably be fine off with a 770. If Geforce's 800 models are coming to desktops soon, would it be a waste of money though?
  • Case/Tower: I was going to get this but now I'm not so sure. I would prefer something small, but that seems impossible with the massive GTX 780 Lightning, so I'm willing to make that sacrifice. I'd also like for there at least to be enough space for one other graphics card on top of the Lightning, so I could add another card at a later date if necessary (I want my desktop to be relevant as long as possible). Something which has some quiet but good fans built-in would be really nice if possible too. Can the Mini-ITX fit a Geforce GTX 780 Lightning and a future addition of a new graphics cards (not that I expect I'll need a second one anytime soon)?
  • HDD: It's been recommended to me to get a 60gb SDD for installing and running Windows 7 (any recommendations?), and then I'd like a 1-2tb not-too-expensive hard drive for games. A hard drive fan is pointless though, right?

• Monitor: I think I'll go for the QNIX QX2710 LED Evolution ll 27" Pixel Perfect screen. I heard you can overclock it to up to 120 hz, and it is also not expensive. I'm not gonna risk having dead pixels, which is why I'm going with the perfect pixel one. How good are these screens?
Budget:
  • I have a family member who agreed to pay for 1/3rd of it because they could have some use from it. Still, I don't really want to go too far above $1700-$1800 overall, although I'm willing to be flexible. $1500-$1600 or lower would be great, but I don't think I could make that price with the GTX 780 Lightning and 1440p screen. I live in the USA.
Main Use:
My main use is gaming, including emulation (I guess, I don't really know a lot about that either). Being able to run the internet and other applications well is important to me, and I do want to experiment with video editing. Other things don't really matter to me.

Overclocking:
Yeah, I guess I will overclock as
The key with the 780 is that it's a OC monster. I suggest reading about that, it's pretty simple but the fine tuning is longer. You can get 10-15% performance boost for free out of it..
The Lightning can overclock as well as the base 780, correct?

Thanks guys! The one other thing I'm lost about are fans. Sorry for my really long post and my cluelessness on this whole process.

Tablo

First off, Windows 8.1>Windows 7.
Also you definitely want at least a 128gb SSD for your boot drive.
Noctuas for case fans if possible.

Mini ITX won't fit 2 cards, but the best thing to do is to rock 1 really powerful one. Less issues crop up that way.
The monitor is fine.

Hawk269

Wow guys, thanks for all the responses. Here's my specs so far, but keep in mind some
(most)
things have not been decided and nothing is set in stone. I've also added a few categories, hope that is not an issue.
Specs

• OS: Windows 7, but a friend said he had a spare disc to give me for free so this won't cost
  • CPU: The intel 4770 or 4770k (or something else depending on your recommendation). I heard there are some new intel processors coming out soon, is that true? If so, is it worth the wait? How expensive will they be?
  • Motherboard: I honestly have no clue. I know almost nothing about motherboards. Any recommendations?
  • PSU: Not sure yet. Waiting to finish my build to see how many watts it will require.
  • CPU/Graphics: The GTX 780 Lightning seems really fantastic, even matching the Titan's benchmarks in quite a few cases. If I go for 1440p, it seems like this will be necessary. If I go for 1080p, then it's just overkill and I'd probably be fine off with a 770. If Geforce's 800 models are coming to desktops soon, would it be a waste of money though?
  • Case/Tower: I was going to get this but now I'm not so sure. I would prefer something small, but that seems impossible with the massive GTX 780 Lightning, so I'm willing to make that sacrifice. I'd also like for there at least to be enough space for one other graphics card on top of the Lightning, so I could add another card at a later date if necessary (I want my desktop to be relevant as long as possible). Something which has some quiet but good fans built-in would be really nice if possible too. Can the Mini-ITX fit a Geforce GTX 780 Lightning and a future addition of a new graphics cards (not that I expect I'll need a second one anytime soon)?
  • HDD: It's been recommended to me to get a 60gb SDD for installing and running Windows 7 (any recommendations?), and then I'd like a 1-2tb not-too-expensive hard drive for games. A hard drive fan is pointless though, right?

• Monitor: I think I'll go for the QNIX QX2710 LED Evolution ll 27" Pixel Perfect screen. I heard you can overclock it to up to 120 hz, and it is also not expensive. I'm not gonna risk having dead pixels, which is why I'm going with the perfect pixel one. How good are these screens?
Budget:
  • I have a family member who agreed to pay for 1/3rd of it because they could have some use from it. Still, I don't really want to go too far above $1700-$1800 overall, although I'm willing to be flexible. $1500-$1600 or lower would be great, but I don't think I could make that price with the GTX 780 Lightning and 1440p screen. I live in the USA.
Main Use:
My main use is gaming, including emulation (I guess, I don't really know a lot about that either). Being able to run the internet and other applications well is important to me, and I do want to experiment with video editing. Other things don't really matter to me.

Overclocking:
Yeah, I guess I will overclock as

The Lightning can overclock as well as the base 780, correct?

Thanks guys! The one other thing I'm lost about are fans. Sorry for my really long post and my cluelessness on this whole process.

You might want to consider going Windows 8.1. I would also say, just go with SSD. Prices have fallen sharply in recent months.

You have to list a CPU in order to recommend a motherboard to you. OC a CPU is just as important as the GPU. I learned this first hand a few posts up.

I'm going with the Hadron build. I'm looking to spend lightly on the video card.

I have a GTX680 build for my rig. What is going to get me similar 1080p performance on my TV? I'll be playing mostly couch and controller friendly games.

Can I get by on a lower cost 760? Do I need the 4GB at 1080P?

My build is the ASUS Impact board with a 4670K. It'll be going in the EVGA Hadron.

Tablo

I'm going with the Hadron build. I'm looking to spend lightly on the video card.

I have a GTX680 build for my rig. What is going to get me similar 1080p performance on my TV? I'll be playing mostly couch and controller friendly games.

My build is the ASUS Impact board with a 4670K. It'll be going in the EVGA Hadron.
Well a GTX 770 is a tweaked 680.
And a 760 trades blows with the 670.
You do not *need* 4GB for 1080p, although some engines like Frostbite just use it to cache more stuff so it's not completely useless.

kharma45

760 is around ~15% slower than the 680. Depends on the model you get. Some, like the MSI Hawk, can get very close to the levels of a reference 680.

I'd just go with the 2GB model of the 760.

Ashhong

So I found the problem. It wasn't the fan power cord. It's the black wiring that surrounds the cables, not sure what it's called. It's all frayed inside of the psu and the fan is hitting it. Wow.

If I open the psu my warranty is gone huh? Not sure if I can really fix the issue from the outside...

LilJoka

So I found the problem. It wasn't the fan power cord. It's the black wiring that surrounds the cables, not sure what it's called. It's all frayed inside of the psu and the fan is hitting it. Wow.

If I open the psu my warranty is gone huh? Not sure if I can really fix the issue from the outside...

Either get it exchanged from the retailer or buy from a brand with better quality control.

I have a feeling you'll never take shortcuts on PSUs again lol.

NoRéN

So return it. If you don't have a problem returning a fully functional video card because you found a better deal, this should be no problem.

Now, how about giving those PSU recommendations in the OP a try? :)

kharma45

Either get it exchanged from the retailer or buy from a brand with better quality control.

I have a feeling you'll never take shortcuts on PSUs again lol.

That XFX isn't a short-cut. It should be a very well made unit as it's basically a Seasonic S12II bar the badge on the outside.

NoRéN;110520505 said:
So return it. If you don't have a problem returning a fully functional video card because you found a better deal, this should be no problem.

Now, how about giving those PSU recommendations in the OP a try? :)

That unit is from the OP.

NoRéN

That XFX isn't a short-cut. It should be a very well made unit as it's basically a Seasonic S12II bar the badge on the outside.

If i remember correctly, that deal on the XFX was from tigerdirect. I wouldn't be surprised if they shipped out a faulty returned item.

That unit is from the OP.
yeah, but since they're in the states the antec parts should be easy to get a hold of.

Ashhong

Seriously, i was like, but this one wasn't a shortcut...you shouldn't have to buy a 100$ psu to get something of quality.

It's fine now, I just took off the fan grille and cut off the edges. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom