• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stubo

Thanks but why not the MSI Twin Frozr or the ASUS CU series?

Also, I have not upgraded my graphics card in ages. Is it just plug and play or do I need to uninstall the drivers of my 560Ti (latest drivers installed) before removing it and putting in the new 760?
It's largely personal preference, but I've found the ACX and Windforce to offer the best cooling and acoustics. The Twin Frozr and Direct CU in particular are close behind though.

It's probably wise to remove all GPU drivers when you switch cards.

Definitely look at overclocking your 2500k, if you're worried about extra heat a new heatsink like the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO/Plus should keep it in check nicely.

Hieberrr

I just purchased all of my components onloine. Half are in-store pickup (although some parts are backordered - mobo, SSD, and case) and the other half is being shipped to my workplace.

Hopefully I get all of my parts within the next two weeks. It's my first DIY build, so wish me luck.

Hawk269

Asked this earlier today and didn't get much of a response. Basically, I just need to know whether I will get bottlenecked or not if I just upgrade the GPU to something like the 760.

I think someone answered you...but the answer was that you would be fine as long as you have overclocked your CPU. If you can get to 4.0-4.2 on your CPU you will be fine with the 760.

kharma45

Hey guys, I built my first pc a Few months back and I was getting perfect performance out of most of my games (batman AO, Metro LL, BF4) but recently I noticed that I've been getting frame studder/drops and I was hoping I could get some advice on keeping the PC running at optimal performance. I know that pc can slow down over time so whatever u guys think would help would be greatly appreciated.

GTX780
8GB RAM
Asus p8z77-I deluxe
Samsung SSD
Windows 8.1

Have you overclocked your 3570K? If not then do that.

I will most likely order this GTX 780 Ti within the next week.

Question is, if my Seasonic X Series 650W and 80+ Gold PSU will be enough for it?

It will be.

Arkadios

Speaking of Power Supplies, what's PcGAF opinion on Corsair RM series? I've seen some mixed opinions about the quality of the capacitors and termal issues.

bennycash

Neo Member
Was thinking about going with the EVGA Superclocked GTX 760 2GB GPU for my build, which is primarily for gaming paired with a 4670K and ASRock Z87 Extreme4. Currently it's priced at $250 and that is at the top of my budget for a GPU. Also helps I'll get Watch Dogs for free. Good choice?

ElyrionX

Since it's nVidia to nVidia you can just plug and play.

I'd highly suggest that you OC that CPU first though. It's possible that an OC will give you the gains you seek for $free.99. Your mobo probably has some sort of "auto OC" feature that will get you to at least 4Ghz, try that first if you don't want to fuck with it.

It's largely personal preference, but I've found the ACX and Windforce to offer the best cooling and acoustics. The Twin Frozr and Direct CU in particular are close behind though.

It's probably wise to remove all GPU drivers when you switch cards.

Definitely look at overclocking your 2500k, if you're worried about extra heat a new heatsink like the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO/Plus should keep it in check nicely.

I think someone answered you...but the answer was that you would be fine as long as you have overclocked your CPU. If you can get to 4.0-4.2 on your CPU you will be fine with the 760.

Thanks guys. I used the OC Tuner autoclock feature on my Asus mobo and I'm running at 4.34Ghz now. Haven't had much time to test it in Diablo 3 but it does feel like I'm getting slightly smoother framerates.

Under load, my core temps are about 4 degrees celsius higher than before and the max temp range for the four cores are 58-60 degrees celsius. I have a CM Hyper212 in there right from day one so that probably helped. I also have a rear fan in my case (Corsair 650D) which I have disabled to reduce noise but I don't think I would need to reactivate it given the temps I'm seeing. So currently, my cooling is just one large intake fan on the front and one large exhaut fan on the top of the case.

maneil99

Hey guys, I built my first pc a Few months back and I was getting perfect performance out of most of my games (batman AO, Metro LL, BF4) but recently I noticed that I've been getting frame studder/drops and I was hoping I could get some advice on keeping the PC running at optimal performance. I know that pc can slow down over time so whatever u guys think would help would be greatly appreciated.

GTX780
8GB RAM
Asus p8z77-I deluxe
Samsung SSD
Windows 8.1

I have the same build pretty much excepte a different motherboard. OC is always a good idea if you have a cooler. Best thing to do is keep your conputer clean software wise. I re install windows every 6~ months and use a file cleaner call CCleaner every week. Also ever 3 or so GPU driver installs I use DDU to clean install a driver. Disk defrag every month or so. Computer is running tip top shape.

There is no reason to choose 7 over 8.

Actually, as has been stated several times already. There are several reasons to stay with Windows 7 and a tiny performance upgrade is not enough to convince myself or the two most prolific posters in this thread (as well as many others) to upgrade. Not saying that people don't have a reason that is justification enough for them to switch. But there are also many reasons for other users and myself to not switch.

Was thinking about going with the EVGA Superclocked GTX 760 2GB GPU for my build, which is primarily for gaming paired with a 4670K and ASRock Z87 Extreme4. Currently it's priced at $250 and that is at the top of my budget for a GPU. Also helps I'll get Watch Dogs for free. Good choice?

The 760 is definitely a good choice, especially for your budget. The EVGA is a good card, but at $250 I'd recommend the ASUS OC DCUII version or the MSI Twin Frozr III as I like them slightly more.

How the fuck do I remove the power cables from my GPU? It feels like pulling on them is destroying the GPU so I stop pulling.

I can't wrap my fingers around the PCI header.

ElyrionX

Thanks guys. I used the OC Tuner autoclock feature on my Asus mobo and I'm running at 4.34Ghz now. Haven't had much time to test it in Diablo 3 but it does feel like I'm getting slightly smoother framerates.

Under load, my core temps are about 4 degrees celsius higher than before and the max temp range for the four cores are 58-60 degrees celsius. I have a CM Hyper212 in there right from day one so that probably helped. I also have a rear fan in my case (Corsair 650D) which I have disabled to reduce noise but I don't think I would need to reactivate it given the temps I'm seeing. So currently, my cooling is just one large intake fan on the front and one large exhaut fan on the top of the case.

Ok, I read around a little bit and apparently the Asus OC Tuner is not the best thing to use. I went back to bios and took a look and it had set the BCLK to 103. I googled a bit and realized having this higher than 100 is not a good idea so I changed this to 100. With a multiplier of 42, I am now running at 4.2Ghz.

kharma45

Speaking of Power Supplies, what's PcGAF opinion on Corsair RM series? I've seen some mixed opinions about the quality of the capacitors and termal issues.

They're fairy good for the money but for not much more you can get something Seasonic based which I'd prefer. Depends on the price when you're buying. I'd have no hesitation in using one if the money is right.
How the fuck do I remove the power cables from my GPU? It feels like pulling on them is destroying the GPU so I stop pulling.

I can't wrap my fingers around the PCI header.

Push the tab in to release if there is one.

Very, very good card that. You can get an R9 280 (a 7950 rebranded) for $233 which does offer more grunt and 3GB of VRAM on a 384 bit bus, plus the 3 game bundle. Both perform similarly at stock levels. All depends if you want more raw grunt (7950 will OC very well generally) or the more mature software that Nvidia offers like Shadow Play, G Sync and whatever else it is they have.

You'd not go wrong with either.

Push the tab in to release if there is one.
I tried to but I couldn't fit my fingers behind the cooler of my GPU, there's a small piece that blocks the tab. Thankfully I bought modular cables, but only one of them breaks away at the center. The other one is pretty much in there, tucked behind my cooler.

I was able to remove the GPU and register it, but only by holding it tethered in one hand while I typed with the other.

LordAlu

Actually, as has been stated several times already. There are several reasons to stay with Windows 7 and a tiny performance upgrade is not enough to convince myself or the two most prolific posters in this thread (as well as many others) to upgrade. Not saying that people don't have a reason that is justification enough for them to switch. But there are also many reasons for other users and myself to not switch.
I believe he means recommendations for new purchasers. For people who already have systems and already have Windows 7, such as yourself, Hazaro and mKenyon, upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 8 isn't worth it. However for a new builder when the choice comes to buy a new Operating System, there would be little reason to choose 7, so 8 is the recommended choice.

maneil99

Okay so I am going for the XL2420Z but I am wondering, with the XL2420G coming out with gsync is it worth it to wait. Does gsync make a difference at 144fps? Will then new gsync monitors still have slight performance hits?

kennah

I believe he means recommendations for new purchasers. For people who already have systems and already have Windows 7, such as yourself, Hazaro and mKenyon, upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 8 isn't worth it. However for a new builder when the choice comes to buy a new Operating System, there would be little reason to choose 7, so 8 is the recommended choice.
Yup. I'm still on 7 but would recommend 8 for new purchases. Gotta snag myself one of those msdn keys but I don't want to pay for one :p

Like I said, everyone will have their personal reasons on why or why not to upgrade or start a fresh install of an OS. However, even for a brand new build, since both can be acquired on Reddit for $10 I would have an extremely hard time suggesting it as an alternative. Especially when basic power user functionality and tools have been hampered or removed, such as shadow copy. Don't mean to come off like people have no reason to switch. However, until there are some serious changes I won't be recommending windows 8 or 8.1 to power users (which is pretty much anyone in this thread).

NoRéN

OS: do some research on the differences between Windows 7 and Windows 8. Choose based on your own preferences. Both can be had for cheap through reddit software swap.

Problem solved?

Sky Chief

I got 8.1 off reddit and like it so far but it was an easy choice because I have an unused Windows 7 key on the bottom of my work laptop if I want to switch ;)

Windows 8 would be an easier choice for me if the interface wasn't off putting. Maybe the update with a start menu later in the year will sort things out but from what I've seen I prefer the usabilitiy of 7.

kharma45

Windows 8 would be an easier choice for me if the interface wasn't off putting. Maybe the update with a start menu later in the year will sort things out but from what I've seen I prefer the usabilitiy of 7.

The new Start screen is easy enough to use once you use it a few times. Even then if you can't get on with it after trying it for a while you can just boot to desktop and install Classic Shell or something like that.

Pachimari

01) I'm really confused. I have just connected my PC to my Onkyo receiver, and the picture shows, but the sound comes out of the HDTV and not the speakers. How do I make it come out of the speakers? It's connected with a HDMI cable.

02) Also, whenever I change over to the HDTV, I have to chance the speakers in Control Panel > Sound > Make it default. Isn't there any easier way?

diaspora

Once you get a handle on how to organize the Start Screen it immediately becomes infinitely better than the old menu imo.

b0bbyJ03

I have the same build pretty much excepte a different motherboard. OC is always a good idea if you have a cooler. Best thing to do is keep your conputer clean software wise. I re install windows every 6~ months and use a file cleaner call CCleaner every week. Also ever 3 or so GPU driver installs I use DDU to clean install a driver. Disk defrag every month or so. Computer is running tip top shape.

Thanks. Haven't OCed yet but I will soon for watch dogs

bennycash

Neo Member

The 760 is definitely a good choice, especially for your budget. The EVGA is a good card, but at $250 I'd recommend the ASUS OC DCUII version or the MSI Twin Frozr III as I like them slightly more.

What about the ASUS and MSI do you like better?

kharma45

Better software tools IMO (ASUS GPU tweak, MSI Afterburner), slightly cooler and quiter cards. All three are good choices, but since they are all identically priced I would go for on of the others.

If it's anything like AMD GPUs (and I presume it is) you can use GPU Tweak and Afterburner with any Nvidia card regardless of manufacturer.

Presuming you can, and with EVGA's outstanding after-sales support, it's a hard combo to beat.

maneil99

I am saying if you have no OS theres no reason to pick 7 over 8. If you own 7 theres not a huge incentive besides performance, but for a new pc I can't see why you wouldn't go 8

kharma45

Cross posting from BST thread

Recently did some upgrades to my PC and have some components to sell.

G. Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB 1333Mhz

Newegg product page

I only used these sticks for a year before upgrading to 2133Mhz RAM, so they are still in great condition.

$35

8GB of RAM for that price is a fucking steal. If anyone here is looking to build jump on it! Memory speed makes almost no difference outside of APUs.

If it's anything like AMD GPUs (and I presume it is) you can use GPU Tweak and Afterburner with any Nvidia card regardless of manufacturer.

Presuming you can, and with EVGA's outstanding after-sales support, it's a hard combo to beat.

True didn't even think about that. I still like the cooler and power designs slightly more on the non-ref cards from ASUS and MSI but you are looking at a 3 year warranty vs a lifetime warranty on some EVGA cards. It's pretty much up to you, if you think you are going to upgrade within 3 years then warranty will be no issue, if not can't go wrong with EVGA. Both have their advantages, but can't go wrong with any of them. Also, if you are thinking you might want slightly more power but are unsure, EVGA does have their 90 day step-up program.

I am saying if you have no OS theres no reason to pick 7 over 8. If you own 7 theres not a huge incentive besides performance, but for a new pc I can't see why you wouldn't go 8

Some people prefer 7. I didn't experience any of the supposed performance increases with 8 or 8.1, but I experienced plenty of the drawbacks. So I went back.

-Deimos

Upgraded to 8, downloaded classic shell and I couldn't tell the difference from 7 other than the insanely fast boot time.

Donrule01

Banned
Start8 from Stardock. All you need to have Windows 8 look the same as Windows 7. Yes its 4.99 but its for life. Nobody can tell I am on Windows 8.1 when they come over. Metro screen never comes up, All applications are associated with Desktop programs. All Metro apps are disabled so they don't update.

Windows 8.1 I notice has way less bloat. With all my applications installed its eating 21GB total. Way less than Windows 7 did for me. More free ram available also. If your gonna spend 20 bucks on Windows 8.1 key then spend another 4.99 for Start8.

Taskbar on multiple monitors and multiple desktop wallpapers or dual/triple screen wallpapers without using any extra software is a win also lol.

mkenyon

Banned
Redid some of my pipe runs to clean it up, namely the res/pump to GPU.

Before:

900x900px-LL-272aa5ac_q9iVRai.jpeg

After:

lvrYuHC.jpg

eB7z1wa.jpg

1C1hA2E.jpg

Also a significant GPU upgrade from the Matrix 7970, 780 Ti Classy Kingpin.

L4yVIRZ.jpg

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($334.97 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($69.07 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Dual-X Video Card ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1052.96
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-04 20:44 EDT-0400)

This is a part list I came up for a friend. Is there any issues here? I'm sure PC Gaf would suggest an i5 over and i7 and put the extra money in the GPU but he feels strongly about going with an i7. The price is already pushing up against his budget. He wants to fit Windows and a monitor in under $1200 total, so I really can't go up, only down.

Tablo

Any reason he wants a full tower, you could go mATX or ITX. Also does he care about Shadowplay and the other Nvidia stuff?

elfinke

Redid some of my pipe runs to clean it up, namely the res/pump to GPU.

Before:

Also a significant GPU upgrade from the Matrix 7970, 780 Ti Classy Kingpin.

[/IMG]http://i.imgur.com/L4yVIRZ.jpg[/IMG]

That looks really great, what H2O system is it (/edit: just had a closer look at the photos, XSPC kit of some sort)? Relative to fans, is it loud? What's the maintenance like - set and forget?

kennah

That looks really great, what H2O system is it (/edit: just had a closer look at the photos, XSPC kit of some sort)? Relative to fans, is it loud? What's the maintenance like - set and forget?
That there is a full custom loop by a master.
that's a lot of rad space for a single GPU build

What RPMs do you run the fans at?
Anything smaller would look stupid in the CaseLabs case.

And I bet at a very low rpm.

This is like the only time in my life I wish I had a reddit account so I could buy a windows 8 key at software swap.

Can anyone help? I'll buy you a steam game or something :)

mkenyon

Banned
that's a lot of rad space for a single GPU build

What RPMs do you run the fans at?
1200 RPM. Only a 360 and a 240. Not a whole lot of rad space for a total heat load of 450-550ish. It's a KPE (and Matrix 7970 @ 1200Mhz before it) so I'll be pouring the volts on.
EK Blocks, 10mm push pneumatic fittings, 10mm copper pipe, Aquacomputer Aqualis Reservoir/pump top, D5 pump, XSPC AX radiators.

And thank you!

*edit* Regarding noise, it is as quiet as a quiet system at idle, except it never gets louder. The VRM popping on the video card is the loudest part on the system.

elfinke

1200 RPM. Only a 360 and a 240. Not a whole lot of rad space for a total heat load of 450-550ish. It's a KPE (and Matrix 7970 @ 1200Mhz before it) so I'll be pouring the volts on.

EK Blocks, 10mm push pneumatic fittings, 10mm copper pipe, Aquacomputer Aqualis Reservoir/pump top, D5 pump, XSPC AX radiators.

And thank you!

Stunning work, thanks for sharing. I take it this isn't your first custom loop?

I'm only interested in H2O cooling for the novelty - and potential quietness - factors. But damn, seeing yours is inspiring from a mere aesthetic point of view.

mkenyon

Banned
Stunning work, thanks for sharing. I take it this isn't your first custom loop?

I'm only interested in H2O cooling for the novelty - and potential quietness - factors. But damn, seeing yours is inspiring from a mere aesthetic point of view.
Nah, I've done a number of them. Outside of the quiet factor, it is really only an excuse to play and tinker with parts. Bit of creative expression outlet for me as well.

maneil99

I need help before I buy this BenQ XL2420Z

Will I get screentearing if my framerate is above 60 but below 144?

Does lightboost help only if I have 120 fps? Should I have it enabled all the time?

Does lightboost cost performance?

Does Lightboost cost input lag?

Will framerates under 144hz feel stutterry like games under 60 do?

Is it worth it for 370$?

mkenyon

Banned
I need help before I buy this BenQ XL2420Z

Will I get screentearing if my framerate is above 60 but below 144?

Does lightboost help only if I have 120 fps? Should I have it enabled all the time?

Does lightboost cost performance?

Does Lightboost cost input lag?

Will framerates under 144hz feel stutterry like games under 60 do?

Is it worth it for 370$?
No.

It is most helpful then.

No.

Teeny amount, not perceptible.

No.

I like the VG248QE with G-Sync more.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
I'm planning to upgrade my graphics card during the summer, I currently have an AMD 7970, should I go for the Nvidia 780ti or the Titan Black?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom