• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoRéN

Seriously, i was like, but this one wasn't a shortcut...you shouldn't have to buy a 100$ psu to get something of quality.

It's fine now, I just took off the fan grille and cut off the edges. :)

that's still some bullshit you shouldn't have to do.

kharma45

NoRéN;110520748 said:
If i remember correctly, that deal on the XFX was from tigerdirect. I wouldn't be surprised if they shipped out a faulty returned item.

Oh I didn't know they were the sort of site to do that?

NoRéN;110520874 said:

True.

NoRéN

Oh I didn't know they were the sort of site to do that?

True.

their low prices are due to big mail in rebates which they are notorious for not honoring. Sub-par customer service as well.
But, their no tax in lots of places(including here in California) makes them attractive.

this was more of beware the brand rather than the part manufacturer.

Ashhong

NoRéN;110520874 said:

This is true I'm sure. But I'd rather do that then redo my cable management lol. Now to pray that the actual unit itself is fine

NoRéN;110521201 said:
their low prices are due to big mail in rebates which they are notorious for not honoring. Sub-par customer service as well.

Crossing my fingers for none of this. I've had good customer service so far and all my items were bought with shop runner so I have free return shipping. Rebates are through other manufacturers and not TD themselves. Can't beat the prices and no tax

Well a GTX 770 is a tweaked 680.
And a 760 trades blows with the 670.
You do not *need* 4GB for 1080p, although some engines like Frostbite just use it to cache more stuff so it's not completely useless.

760 is around ~15% slower than the 680. Depends on the model you get. Some, like the MSI Hawk, can get very close to the levels of a reference 680.

I'd just go with the 2GB model of the 760.

I just went with an Asus GTX 770 2GB. It was $285 on Amazon's Warehouse Deals which seems fine to me.

Sky Chief

Where should I buy Mirror's Edge? I was going to but it from Steam but it seems that the DLC is a pain to install if you get it from there. Is the DLC good/worth it?

Ashhong

Where should I buy Mirror's Edge? I was going to but it from Steam but it seems that the DLC is a pain to install if you get it from there. Is the DLC good/worth it?

The only DLC I played was a few extra time trials maps way back in the day on PS3. They were fine but not necessary. I don't know about now. Are you planning to play it with a keyboard and mouse? I forgot all about that game..now I want to try it out with the upgraded graphics and all that

Sky Chief

The only DLC I played was a few extra time trials maps way back in the day on PS3. They were fine but not necessary. I don't know about now. Are you planning to play it with a keyboard and mouse? I forgot all about that game..now I want to try it out with the upgraded graphics and all that

I think probably with a DS4. I believe there was only one DLC. I can't wait to try it on my new monitor, I just got an LG 34UM95 last night and I am sure it is just going to be amazing!

How are NCIX US and Superbiiz? I haven't ordered from them before. I'm reading that they are mostly fine but I wanted to run them by this thread.

NCIX was great for me. They had a free ground shipping promo when I ordered my graphics card and motherboard. I think the OP in this thread recommends them as well.

Ashhong

I think probably with a DS4. I believe there was only one DLC. I can't wait to try it on my new monitor, I just got an LG 34UM95 last night and I am sure it is just going to be amazing!

OMG that sounds amazing. Does the game support that aspect ratio? Holy shit I am intrigued. I played that game so much in the past...

ElyrionX

Thinking of upgrading my graphics card to get 60fps on Diablo 3 (1920x1200 max settings). My current specs are:

Intel i5 2500k
8GB RAM
MSI GTX 560Ti Twin Frozr 1GB

Plus I am running my OS on an Intel 320 120GB SSD and my games off a WD Blue 1TB.

I run all my games at 1920x1200. What's a good value mid to high-end GPU right now? The 760? Also, will I be bottlenecked by my CPU or RAM?

xBladeM6x

I don't know what happened in the last 3 weeks, but when I use ShadowPlay, the game itself runs perfectly fine with no drops or skips or anything. But when I look at the recording it's an FPS nightmare. It's smooth for like 3 seconds and then can just start stuttering an fluctuating like mad. ShadowPlay apparently got fucked in the last month, because even through completely fresh installs of Geforce Experience 2.0 and 335.23 WHQL this is still happening on every game I try, even though they were fine when I would try recording like a month ago.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I don't know what happened in the last 3 weeks, but when I use ShadowPlay, the game itself runs perfectly fine with no drops or skips or anything. But when I look at the recording it's an FPS nightmare. It's smooth for like 3 seconds and then can just start stuttering an fluctuating like mad. ShadowPlay apparently got fucked in the last month, because even through completely fresh installs of Geforce Experience 2.0 and 335.23 WHQL this is still happening on every game I try, even though they were fine when I would try recording like a month ago.
Are you playing from and recording to the same drive? What model / speeds can it do?
Is anything write intensive happening in the background?
Can anyone recommend a good gaming mouse and keyboard?
See: OP
Explain: Budget

Most products are good.

xBladeM6x

Are you playing from and recording to the same drive? What model / speeds can it do?
Is anything write intensive happening in the background?

See: OP
Explain: Budget

Most products are good.

That's the thing, the specs are irrelevant in this case, because I haven't upgraded / changed hardware at all. and it worked perfectly for months, until recently for some reason. It's not on the same drive. The recordings go to a different one. Both HDD are 7200 RPM.

Main Specs:
i7-3770k
16GB RAM
660 TI

Tablo

Well you're giving up a lot of performance by not over clocking. Grab a beefy noctua cooler and get it up there in the GHZ.

ElyrionX

Well you're giving up a lot of performance by not over clocking. Grab a beefy noctua cooler and get it up there in the GHZ.

What type of performance are we talking about? Just faster loading or something? Or will I see tangible boosts to my framerate?

Sky Chief

OMG that sounds amazing. Does the game support that aspect ratio? Holy shit I am intrigued. I played that game so much in the past...

Unfortunately, 21:9 is not natively supported (only game in half a dozen or so I have tried where this is the case) but I am still having amazing fun. I am looking into a few mods for widescreen support.

I'm looking to buy a budget Z87 motherboard for a friend. The OC will be modest. Targeting 4.2ish OC on a i7 4770K. Which of these under $100 MBs would be best? I'm currently leaning toward the ASRock Z87 Pro4.

ASRock Z87 Pro3
ASRock Z87 Pro4
Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H 1.0
MSI Z87M-G43
Gigabyte GA-Z87-DS3H
Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3

Yarbskoo

Just wanted to drop in and thank you guys for all the help on building my first PC.
It's not quite finished yet, it's using an older video card and keyboard, and my mouse is kind of broken.
But it's working and I'm having fun with it, and I'm not sure it would have gone as smoothly without this thread.

So thanks, I really appreciate it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm looking to buy a budget Z87 motherboard for a friend. The OC will be modest. Targeting 4.2ish OC on a i7 4770K. Which of these under $100 MBs would be best? I'm currently leaning toward the ASRock Z87 Pro4.

ASRock Z87 Pro3
ASRock Z87 Pro4
Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H 1.0
MSI Z87M-G43
Gigabyte GA-Z87-DS3H
Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3
Gonna take a look tomorrow if I don't fail time management.

I need a new 4TB storage drive. What should I get?

WD40EFRX (WD Red) or WD40EZRX (WD Green) or something else entirely?
The drive will reside in my home server PC (not a NAS like Drobo, etc.).

jakomocha

f
First off, Windows 8.1>Windows 7.
Also you definitely want at least a 128gb SSD for your boot drive.
Noctuas for case fans if possible.

Mini ITX won't fit 2 cards, but the best thing to do is to rock 1 really powerful one. Less issues crop up that way.
The monitor is fine.
You might want to consider going Windows 8.1. I would also say, just go with SSD. Prices have fallen sharply in recent months.

How about a 1tb SSHD hard drive? I know it's not as good as a SSD, but this way I can install the OS and all my other stuff on it and have it reasonably safe without breaking the bank. This is the one I'm thinking of. Also, would a Mini ITX be able to fit the GTX 780 Lightning? It's 11.61" x 5.06" x 2.02 ". And, due to my little knowledge of fans, I'd prefer a tower that has them already built in and preferably quite quiet (sorry, I couldn't help the pun) if possible.

You have to list a CPU in order to recommend a motherboard to you. OC a CPU is just as important as the GPU. I learned this first hand a few posts up.
Yeah, I guess, but I don't really trust myself with overclocking so I'd like a processor that's still pretty powerful out of the box (or in Turbo Boost). What do you guys recommend for a Intel CPU? And what motherboard in combination with that processor?

As for the topic of Windows 8.1, if my friend can get me Windows 7 64 bit for free (he can't remember whether or not he used the disc yet), then I won't be getting 8. It's simply not worth it at that point. However, if it's a choice between Windows 7 or 8 each full price then I'm kind of torn. I mean, is Windows 8.1 really that huge of a step up from Windows 8? On one hand, I really don't like the tablet interface on a non-touch screen monitor. On the other hand, wouldn't Windows 8 be a smoother transition process from Mac OS due to their similarities (both focusing on simplicity)? Also, having a more modern OS has it's benefits. Are there still games that aren't compatible with 8?

maneil99

maneil99

f

How about a 1tb SSHD hard drive? I know it's not as good as a SSD, but this way I can install the OS and all my other stuff on it and have it reasonably safe without breaking the bank. This is the one I'm thinking of. Also, would a Mini ITX be able to fit the GTX 780 Lightning? It's 11.61" x 5.06" x 2.02 ". And, due to my little knowledge of fans, I'd prefer a tower that has them already built in and preferably quite quiet (sorry, I couldn't help the pun) if possible.

Yeah, I guess, but I don't really trust myself with overclocking so I'd like a processor that's still pretty powerful out of the box (or in Turbo Boost). What do you guys recommend for a Intel CPU? And what motherboard in combination with that processor?

As for the topic of Windows 8.1, if my friend can get me Windows 7 64 bit for free (he can't remember whether or not he used the disc yet), then I won't be getting 8. It's simply not worth it at that point. However, if it's a choice between Windows 7 or 8 each full price then I'm kind of torn. I mean, is Windows 8.1 really that huge of a step up from Windows 8? On one hand, I really don't like the tablet interface on a non-touch screen monitor. On the other hand, wouldn't Windows 8 be a smoother transition process from Mac OS due to their similarities (both focusing on simplicity)? Also, having a more modern OS has it's benefits. Are there still games that aren't compatible with 8?
There is no reason to choose 7 over 8. Superior performance, support and you can remove the tablet interface, start menu is coming back aswell
img_4907.jpg

What is your budget for the CPU/Motherboard?

There are ITX cases that fit large GPU's but again, what is your budget?

jakomocha

There is no reason to choose 7 over 8. Superior performance, support and you can remove the tablet interface, start menu is coming back aswell
img_4907.jpg

What is your budget for the CPU/Motherboard?

There are ITX cases that fit large GPU's but again, what is your budget?
Oh, I mentioned it a few posts back. It is not a strict budget, but I'd prefer to stay below $1800, especially considering that I plan on getting a Nvidia Shield (although probably the second one, whenever that is coming out) so I can take my games on the go, which is an additional $200-250. The only two things I really have set in stone and really like (though I'm even willing to change these) are the GTX 780 Lightning ($557) and QNIX QX2710 Evolution ll LED 2560x1440 Perfect pixel monitor ($370), which already sets me at $930. I originally planned on getting 16 gigs of RAM (this one specifically), but now I'm not so sure. I've heard 16 gigs of RAM is pretty much pointless. Is 12GB of RAM good, or is even that overkill? It seems like there is hardly any 2x6gb RAM, so if I do get 12 gigs of ram I guess I'd be getting 3 x 4gb RAM. Is DDR5 RAM worth it, or will I be fine off with DDR3? As I mentioned earlier, I'd prefer a tower with good and somewhat quiet fans, as I really don't know how to work with that kind of stuff. Mini-itx is not essential for me though, just letting you all know. While it is probably much more convenient, I'm fine with a mid-tower and maybe even a full-tower case if necessary.

Also, how come many of you said having two graphics cards is not good? I of course do not need a second one now, but what about them is that bad?

maneil99

Oh, I mentioned it a few posts back. It is not a strict budget, but I'd prefer to stay below $1800, especially considering that I plan on getting a Nvidia Shield (although probably the second one, whenever that is coming out) so I can take my games on the go, which is an additional $200-250. The only two things I really have set in stone and really like (though I'm even willing to change these) are the GTX 780 Lightning ($557) and QNIX QX2710 Evolution ll LED 2560x1440 Perfect pixel monitor ($370), which already sets me at $930. I originally planned on getting 16 gigs of RAM (this one specifically), but now I'm not so sure. I've heard 16 gigs of RAM is pretty much pointless. Is 12GB of RAM good, or is even that overkill? It seems like there is hardly any 2x6gb RAM, so if I do get 12 gigs of ram I guess I'd be getting 3 x 4gb RAM. Is DDR5 RAM worth it, or will I be fine off with DDR3? As I mentioned earlier, I'd prefer a tower with good and somewhat quiet fans, as I really don't know how to work with that kind of stuff. Mini-itx is not a necessity for me though, just letting you know. While it is probably much more convenient, I'm fine with a mid-tower and maybe even a full-tower case.

Also, how come many of you said having two graphics cards is not good? I of course do not need a second one now, but what about them is that bad?

You are going to want 16gb since intel runs dual channel. I'd recommend a 4770k or 4670k. Not sure what you mean by DDR5 ram, we are just getting to DDR4 next year. All GPU vram is GDDR5 now. I can't really recommend a motherboard until you decide on the case size, Min ITX or mATX are great and can easily be done. A Nvidia cards 780 + get 100$ off the shield so that should bring it down from 199$ -> 99$

jakomocha

You are going to want 16gb since intel runs dual channel. I'd recommend a 4770k or 4670k + 780 Ti. Not sure what you mean by DDR5 ram, we are just getting to DDR4 next year. All GPU vram is GDDR5 now. I can't really recommend a motherboard until you decide on the case size, Min ITX or mATX are great and can easily be done.

Oh yeah, you're right about the DDR3 stuff, I'm an idiot. I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm basically helpless at this lol. Of those processors, the 4770k definitely seems the most appealing, is it worth the extra cost over the 4770 though? How are the Cooler Masters cases like this one ? And if I did decide on Min ITX or mATX, which would you recommend? It seems like mATX is viewed more favorably.

EDIT:
How is this tower? It's especially appealing because of its silencing and fans.

Oh yeah, you're right about the DDR3 stuff, I'm an idiot. I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm basically helpless at this lol. Of those processors, the 4770k definitely seems the most appealing, is it worth the extra cost over the 4770 though? How are the Cooler Masters cases like this one ? And if I did decide on Min ITX or mATX, which would you recommend? It seems like mATX is viewed more favorably.

EDIT:

A more expensive GPU is going to have more benefits than the 4770k imo, but it isn't bad.

The 4770K can be overclocked, the 4770 can't. I don't think the price difference is big so I'd say go with K version. Overclocking isn't very difficult anymore and can give big performance gains later on.

Also, you asked about multi-GPU setups. A lot of the time it just gives problems, a few games that do not support it at all. Many games that don't support it properly. And I am not sure if microstuttering is still there, but you used to be able to get that too.

And then you sometimes still need to wait when a game releases before it support a multi-GPU setup. It is a headache that is almost only worth it when you want a better setup than the best GPU has to offer.

ElyrionX

Thinking of upgrading my graphics card to get 60fps on Diablo 3 (1920x1200 max settings). My current specs are:

Intel i5 2500k
8GB RAM
MSI GTX 560Ti Twin Frozr 1GB

Plus I am running my OS on an Intel 320 120GB SSD and my games off a WD Blue 1TB.

I run all my games at 1920x1200. What's a good value mid to high-end GPU right now? The 760? Also, will I be bottlenecked by my CPU or RAM?

Asked this earlier today and didn't get much of a response. Basically, I just need to know whether I will get bottlenecked or not if I just upgrade the GPU to something like the 760.

Stubo

Asked this earlier today and didn't get much of a response. Basically, I just need to know whether I will get bottlenecked or not if I just upgrade the GPU to something like the 760.
I've found this which should give you some idea of the sort of performance to expect.

It's worth noting that the test rig for that review is using a 4770k cpu, but your 2500k should be more than sufficient assuming that you've got it overclocked to 4.2 or so. Your RAM is also completely fine.

As usual I'd recommend the EVGA ACX cooler or the Gigabyte windforce, they're quiet and have great factory overclocks.

Edit: UK links - ACX - Windforce
US links -ACX - Windforce

ElyrionX

I've found this which should give you some idea of the sort of performance to expect.

It's worth noting that the test rig for that review is using a 4770k cpu, but your 2500k should be more than sufficient assuming that you've got it overclocked to 4.2 or so. Your RAM is also completely fine.

As usual I'd recommend the EVGA ACX cooler or the Gigabyte windforce, they're quiet and have great factory overclocks.

Edit: UK links - ACX - Windforce
US links -ACX - Windforce

Thanks but why not the MSI Twin Frozr or the ASUS CU series?

Also, I have not upgraded my graphics card in ages. Is it just plug and play or do I need to uninstall the drivers of my 560Ti (latest drivers installed) before removing it and putting in the new 760?

molnizzle

Thanks but why not the MSI Twin Frozr or the ASUS CU series?

Also, I have not upgraded my graphics card in ages. Is it just plug and play or do I need to uninstall the drivers of my 560Ti (latest drivers installed) before removing it and putting in the new 760?

Since it's nVidia to nVidia you can just plug and play.

I'd highly suggest that you OC that CPU first though. It's possible that an OC will give you the gains you seek for $free.99. Your mobo probably has some sort of "auto OC" feature that will get you to at least 4Ghz, try that first if you don't want to fuck with it.

b0bbyJ03

Hey guys, I built my first pc a Few months back and I was getting perfect performance out of most of my games (batman AO, Metro LL, BF4) but recently I noticed that I've been getting frame studder/drops and I was hoping I could get some advice on keeping the PC running at optimal performance. I know that pc can slow down over time so whatever u guys think would help would be greatly appreciated.

GTX780
8GB RAM
Asus p8z77-I deluxe
Samsung SSD
Windows 8.1

mkenyon

Banned

EDIT:
If you are that set on the lightning 780, you should get the MSI MPower Z87 board to match :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom