• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyf00L

Hey, question about Steam and multiple drives, SSD + HDD. I put in an SSD and installed Win 8 there, and my Win 7 disk is now a second drive, so I have all my Steam games still on there.

I saw in Steam you can select where to install a game. Is there no option to move a game once installed?

All the games won't all fit on the SSD. Is there a way I can point Steam to where the games are on the second drive?

I tried SteamTool, but it asks for an empty folder and won't detect the games I already have downloaded.

Firebrand

The WD Blue Caviar 1TB HDD I bought makes a sound like it's spindle's stuck based on this:

http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php

Should I get it returned to Amazon?
Yes. That's never been a good sound for disks of any type. edit: Or well, I was listening to the second "stuck spindle" one under WD.

I'm thinking of replacing my own, not because it's making clicking noises but just because it's so damn loud whenever it's spinning. Louder than all the fans combined. Will have to see first if it's poor mounting causing vibrations.

knitoe

Hey, question about Steam and multiple drives, SSD + HDD. I put in an SSD and installed Win 8 there, and my Win 7 disk is now a second drive, so I have all my Steam games still on there.

I saw in Steam you can select where to install a game. Is there no option to move a game once installed?

All the games won't all fit on the SSD. Is there a way I can point Steam to where the games are on the second drive?

I tried SteamTool, but it asks for an empty folder and won't detect the games I already have downloaded.
I use Steam Mover. Works for everything and not just Steam.

knitoe

I looked at it, and the site looked shady. The guy basically said it was untested. I also doubt that it will be any better than SteamTool at detecting games sitting in a folder. But I'll give it a shot.
I have 2TB of Steam games and haven't had any issue moving them from HDD to SSD and back. I don't think it detects anything. It just simple moves the folder \ files from one place to another and creates the appropriately registry and shortcuts changes

I need some help here folks. Am I right in thinking that my GPU is under-performing?

I'm running an EVGA GTX 780 SC ATX. Here are my benchmarks from heaven and valley. I also can't get a stable overclock to save my life. +50 GPU clock offset at the MOST. I can get heaven/valley benchmarks to run without artifacts at around +75. Crysis 3 will crash at this setting though, regardless of whether or not I apply extra voltage. I'm keeping an eye on temps too and they're pretty much fine. Temps don't exceed 65° without OCing. When OCing they still don't break 65° with the fan curve I have set.

DhOlPfA.jpg

6hl2QiW.jpg

I see people getting between 1450-1550 all day long with this exact same card. I see applying stable OC upwards of +150MHz on the GPU Clock. Am I wrong in thinking something is amiss?

halp

What SHOULD it be getting?

mkenyon

Banned
Scythe makes some excellent silent fans. Scythe Gentle Typhoon 800 RPM version is extremely quiet and a very high quality fan with good cooling power also. Unfortunately it's a discontinued product so it might be difficult to find. Other Scythe products are worth considering as well.
Scythe just ended their relationship with Nidec, who made the motors/bearings for the GTs. As a result, they are no longer in production, and prices at most shops have skyrocketed.

The fan that consistently does well for the price is the Arctic Cooling F12. Get the PWM version and slow it down with the mobo, or just get an in-line voltage regulator for cheap. Yate Loons are pretty good as well.
halp

What SHOULD it be getting?

A lot of people are using Skyn3t custom BIOS. That should help as it will then give you voltage control. If it bricks, and you are unable to flash the BIOS back to stock, then you're SOL with no warranty though. This is a great tip from Skyn3t himself:

yuoUADb.png

*edit*

With all that being said, you may have simply drawn poorly on the silicon lottery.

Build going well. Had to break out the trusty dremel to remove the HDD cage, which would allow me to fit a larger cpu heatsink and fan.
QRYnSF9l.jpg

Case after the Dremmel (had to go back later and make a few more cuts
0LU2OmZl.jpg

Custom backplate attached with a rivet gun.

D6tFhTbl.jpg

Had to make some cuts for the 120mm fan
VmL2CQ5l.jpg

Motherboard, CPU +heatsink all in there!
7017Xull.jpg

Still working on getting everything fitting together properly. Should finish up this week or this weekend.

Scythe just ended their relationship with Nidec, who made the motors/bearings for the GTs. As a result, they are no longer in production, and prices at most shops have skyrocketed.

The fan that consistently does well for the price is the Arctic Cooling F12. Get the PWM version and slow it down with the mobo, or just get an in-line voltage regulator for cheap. Yate Loons are pretty good as well.

A lot of people are using Skyn3t custom BIOS. That should help as it will then give you voltage control. If it bricks, and you are unable to flash the BIOS back to stock, then you're SOL with no warranty though. This is a great tip from Skyn3t himself:

yuoUADb.png

*edit*

With all that being said, you may have simply drawn poorly on the silicon lottery.

I might just return this and get a classified with a dual bios.

kiyomi

Interesting, thanks. I'll have a look at those. I would've liked to get the Aerocool Dead Silence fans that came out a couple of months ago but they're crazy expensive in the UK, £20 a pop.

Anyone got any thoughts on a HS/F to fit a Define Mini?

mkenyon

Banned
Interesting, thanks. I'll have a look at those. I would've liked to get the Aerocool Dead Silence fans that came out a couple of months ago but they're crazy expensive in the UK, £20 a pop.

Any of the heatsinks in the OP are great, and will fit.
My classy doesn't overclock well. Driver crashes at high overclock. Better hope you get a good silicon bin gpu.
They generally do much much better under water. As soon as the power regulation bits get toasty, you start getting errors pretty quick.

But also, moar volts is always good. Need a custom BIOS for it as Sword of Doom pointed out.

RyuHei

Both bios. Max my voltage (+37mv) but still very unstable. So I'm stuck at stock or low overclock. I blame it on the elpida memory chips lol

Had a CM 212 Evo, a Corsair H80i, and a Noctua NH-U12S in my Define Mini at various times. I'd recommend the Noctua over the other two to anybody. Build quality, ease of installation, cooling and noise levels were all better with the Noctua. It is doo-doo brown, though.

Smokey

Any of the heatsinks in the OP are great, and will fit.

They generally do much much better under water. As soon as the power regulation bits get toasty, you start getting errors pretty quick.

But also, moar volts is always good. Need a custom BIOS for it as Sword of Doom pointed out.

I'm on the 4k train bro. Ordered that Samsung model. Amazon got more in today.

Pls don't be dissapoint MK ;_;

mkenyon

Banned
Nowai, you've got the best of both worlds.

That's like getting mad at you for getting a comfy 5 series when you already have a Vette. :p
Both bios. Max my voltage (+37mv) but still very unstable. So I'm stuck at stock or low overclock. I blame it on the elpida memory chips lol
Have you tried going higher with the rule of 13?

Celcius

°Temp. member
I just realized that I've had my Asus VH236H for 5 years now (half a decade).
It still gets the job done though.

I'm just going to keep buying them and returning them until I get a good one. That said, are my scores out of line or are they within acceptable margins?

xBladeM6x

I currently have a Razer Naga Molten, and am looking to replace it with a different / better MMO mouse. I was looking at the Logitech G600 but not quite sure. :l

mkenyon

Banned
What are you looking at? If the average FPS is supposed to be around 90FPS then I'm nowhere near that. Am I looking at it wrong? My GPU isn't on the list so I'm using the MSI GTX 780 OC Gaming as a reference. Mine is the EVGA SC ACX.
Look at the 8x AA chart, second one.

It should be right on par with the stock 780 Ti. He has a 3960X as the test bench proc, so the score will be a bit higher from that.

maneil99

The two Bios' on the classy are both stock, you need to load a custom bios on one of the two.

I use the tech-inferno bios but they are pretty much the same. Both stay at OCed levels unless gpu usage hits levels that auto down clock that's built into the driver ( 30%~ will down clock even with a custom bios ) , both down clock on idle, both allow more/infinite power and slight voltage increases and both ignore temps aswell as let you max out the fan to 100%

memory overclocks don't mean as much as a core clock. A 780 at 7ghz vs 6ghz isn't that substantial at all vs core clocks. Normally artifacts = memory , driver crash = core. Atleast thats if you are close to being stable.

Ryman

I am stuck between the i54670k and the FX-8350. I initial favored the Intel (and to an extent I still do) but now that I consider more games may be using more cores (BF4, Watchdogs) I wonder if the AMD may be able to leverage an advantage over the i5; not to mention the 8350 is cheaper. Will we see more games using more than 4 cores in the future, and if so, would it be wise to opt for the 8350, or would the 4670k still perform well?

Oops, looks like this question may have already been answered.

scogoth

I am stuck between the i54670k and the FX-8350. I initial favored the Intel (and to an extent I still do) but now that I consider more games may be using more cores (BF4, Watchdogs) I wonder if the AMD may be able to leverage an advantage over the i5; not to mention the 8350 is cheaper. Will we see more games using more than 4 cores in the future, and if so, would it be wise to opt for the 8350, or would the 4670k still perform well?

nope nope nope. Stick with the 4670k for gaming.

Look at the 8x AA chart, second one.

It should be right on par with the stock 780 Ti. He has a 3960X as the test bench proc, so the score will be a bit higher from that.

I'm looking at it. I see the two different colors represent different resolutions. Mine doesn't come anywhere near what the other GTX 780s on the list seem to get. Am I dopey or what? :( Also, I have a GTX 780, not a TI.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm looking at it. I see the two different colors represent different resolutions. Mine doesn't come anywhere near what the other GTX 780s on the list seem to get. Am I dopey or what? :( Also, I have a GTX 780, not a TI.
No, you are right, and I was confused. Did some double checking as I didn't think the 3960X could make that much of a difference. It definitely doesn't.

I'm thinking you're probably having stability issues with the card, which can negatively affect your score. Reset it to stock and try running the benchmark again.

Oops, looks like this question may have already been answered.

nope nope nope. Stick with the 4670k for gaming.

Get the i5. If in the future you feel like you need more cores/threads you can always just put an i7 on the same board.

No, you are right, and I was confused. Did some double checking as I didn't think the 3960X could make that much of a difference. It definitely doesn't.

I'm thinking you're probably having stability issues with the card, which can negatively affect your score. Reset it to stock and try running the benchmark again.

I get the same score as you with a 780 classified. This is strange

Edit: Sorry double post :(

jakomocha

Anyone here have experience with the Perixx mice? They are on sale and seem surprisingly good, what would be the best bang for my buck (I'm on 1440p monitor if that matters at all for DPI)?

Bleepey

It seems the second hard drive has ruined how arkham city's performing. From a solid and steady 50 Fps with everything turned to high. That simply will not do and I am taking it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom