• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

belushy

Banned
You'd be looking maybe at something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($599.80 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($45.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($20.00 @ Reddit)
Monitor: Acer H226HQLbid 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Speakers: Creative Labs Inspire T10 10W 2ch Speakers ($39.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $1607.64
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-16 03:21 EDT-0400)

That includes Windows (from Reddit) as well as montior, keyboard/mouse and speakers (you can always remove the keyboard/mouse and speakers to get more RAM or a larger SSD if you'd like). Bear in mind that new Intel processors are due next month (hence the Z97 motherboard) so I would wait until then and swap the 4770k out for a 4790k.

Thank you, I'll pass this along to him!

Laxan

Neo Member
Hey Gaf, looking to build my first PC soon.

Been eyeing this CPU/MOBO/RAM bundle. It comes pre-assembled, but works out slightly cheaper due to shipping costs. These are the parts I'm probably going to get anyway, but I guess it would be harder to resell later. Should I just pay the extra for individual parts, or are these bundle things fairly reliable?

Bundle in question: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DRDYF0S/

mkenyon

Banned
Hey guys, finally completely my BEHEMOTH!
Gorgeous! Well done on the cable management, you look like you've been doing this for years.
So I bought all the parts yesterday after a lot of consideration and chatting. And I end up going with the list you provided. I got almost everything on your list besides the case.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3L6gt

the grand total was 1,514 when you added in shipping and taxes.

Also, newegg gave me a free copy of WATCH DOGS for buying that Nvidia GTX780 from their site. I didn't even know the game came with the card until I was about to checkout.

hahahaha, man, I bought a $1,500 skyrim machine, hahaha.
It's gonna look soooooooooooooo good. Too bad the game has that 120 FPS bug though :( Kills my desire to play it whenever I start it back up.
I've never overclocked before. I went from a terrible computer to getting a macbook at 18 to now 22 and graduated. If there's no risk especially for someone as beginner as me, sure. But Im willing to not do emulation as well if there is a chance.

That's good to know about the budget and getting one fantastic system. If I wasn't getting something that would last me more than a few years, I'd be a bit worried. When do you think the OP will be overhauled? I kinda want to build soon but would wait for better tech if its right around the corner.

I would definitely say sleek. This may sound terrible but if I have to look at the damn thing, I'd rather it look sleek than not. I love my Mackbook Pro for its keyboard, trackpad, and overall I haven't had any problems with it that weren't easily fixable. Definitely not hardware issues and the magnetic powercord is awesome. I don't regret my Macbook Pro in the slightest but I would like to play some PC Games on a machine that can run it. That being said, small isn't an issue. If this was a laptop, I'd definitely say something that is sleek and small but if its a standalone desktop, I don't need it to be crammed into a small case.
Here you go:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($259.75 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.79 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($136.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($78.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($134.95 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB ACX Video Card ($269.04 @ TigerDirect Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($93.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $1083.48
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-16 13:10 EDT-0400)

I'd actually suggest jumping on that PSU as soon as possible. That unit sells for $130-150 USD normally. It's a killer unit that powers two of my own computers and a number of friends' as well.

Stubo

Winnipeg West : Limited Quantities

Guys, quick! :p

Edit: I've been reading up a bit on the Z97 boards ready for building a friend's PC when the 4690k drops. What's with both MSI and Gigabyte having boards called Gaming 3, 5 and 7. Thinking the Gigabyte Gaming 5 looks like good price/features, but there's a deal with the MSI Gaming 7 with a free H75 and 2 red fans for like £25 more right now. Decisions!

Stat!

Here you go:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($259.75 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.79 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($136.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($78.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($134.95 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB ACX Video Card ($269.04 @ TigerDirect Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($93.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $1083.48
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-16 13:10 EDT-0400)

I'd actually suggest jumping on that PSU as soon as possible. That unit sells for $130-150 USD normally. It's a killer unit that powers two of my own computers and a number of friends' as well.

Thank you a ton. I'll be sure to purchase the PSU asap. Just out of curiosity (since I have no idea), would this be a quiet machine given the mini tower case? Currently, my 360 sounds like an airplane taking off and I would want a bit of a quieter machine.

Would you recommend a smaller SSD drive and then like a 1TB Harddrive instead or just go all SSD?

Gorgeous! Well done on the cable management, you look like you've been doing this for years.

Thanks man. That means a lot in a thread full of experts.

Just need to fully figure out how to overclock now. I still haven't checked my CPU temp yet. Going to have to have a look in the BIOS onEUFI.

Stubo

Thank you a ton. I'll be sure to purchase the PSU asap. Just out of curiosity (since I have no idea), would this be a quiet machine given the mini tower case? Currently, my 360 sounds like an airplane taking off and I would want a bit of a quieter machine.
The define mini is a smaller version of the Fractal Define R4, they're both designed with silence in mind.

The 360 is stupidly loud, you should definitely be happy with the build!

Got all my parts delivered except for the PSU.

And today Purolator decided to be lazy and completely skip my house and the tracking now says Attempted delivery - receiver unavailable even tho I was totally at home.

mkenyon

Banned

Would you recommend a smaller SSD drive and then like a 1TB Harddrive instead or just go all SSD?
The case is lined with sound deadening material, and the GPU is a pretty quiet one as well. It'll be nearly inaudible at idle. Full blast in games, you'll hear it, but it should be really inoffensive. With headphones on, no way you'd h ear it.

bennycash

Neo Member
Few questions here after building my first computer. I want to make sure everything is running correctly and one thing I noticed after downloading CPU-Z was the fluctuating core speed. I have a 4670k which is 3.4GHz and CPU-Z has it changing anywhere from 3599 to 3799 MHz. Is this normal?

Also, what are the essential drivers that I absolutely need to have up to date? And is there a popular program/utility that I can use that'll test the performance of the PC to see if everything is running OK?

Specs:
i5 - 4670k
ASRock Z87 Extreme 4 mobo
MSI gtx 760 2gb
Corsair Vengeance 8gb
Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler for eventual overclocking

So I've been looking at either picking up another GTX 780 3GB and pair it in SLI mode. However from what I'm seeing there still seems to be issues with running SLI with most of the popular and upcoming games.

On the other hand I could sell my GTX 780 and pick up a ti version or even a Titan.

I mostly game at 2560 x 1440 and at times it seems that 780 isn't enough, especially with all the settings cracked to high / maximum.

Spec-wise the rest of the system shouldn't / issues holding the card back.

Intel 3570 @ 4.3Ghz
32GB DDR3
(1) SSD 120GB boot drive
(1) SSD 250 gamedrive
(2) 3TB 7200 rpm drives in Raid 0

Anyone recommend going the SLI route?

So I've been looking at either picking up another GTX 780 3GB and pair it in SLI mode. However from what I'm seeing there still seems to be issues with running SLI with most of the popular and upcoming games.

On the other hand I could sell my GTX 780 and pick up a ti version or even a Titan.

I mostly game at 2560 x 1440 and at times it seems that 780 isn't enough, especially with all the settings cracked to high / maximum.

Intel 3570 @ 4.3Ghz
32GB DDR3
(1) SSD 120GB boot drive
(1) SSD 250 gamedrive

Damn you like nice things. I think you're just seeking validation for buying another 780.

780 > 780ti is barely an upgrade. I'm not rich enough to SLI my 780ti but I hear that most games SLI well enough. FWIW I game at 1440p and I get at least 60fps on all my games at max settings.

appaws

Banned
I should stay in this thread to keep my sanity.

The FX-6300 nonsense is overwhelming in the current AMD thread. Do a lot of gaming system builders actually buy those?

Frologic

Winnipeg West : Limited Quantities

Guys, quick! :p

Edit: I've been reading up a bit on the Z97 boards ready for building a friend's PC when the 4690k drops. What's with both MSI and Gigabyte having boards called Gaming 3, 5 and 7. Thinking the Gigabyte Gaming 5 looks like good price/features, but there's a deal with the MSI Gaming 7 with a free H75 and 2 red fans for like £25 more right now. Decisions!

Went there yesterday and they told me they had none in stock when it listed on the site as "2". Called today after it was listed as "limited quantities", still nothing.

I should stay in this thread to keep my sanity.

The FX-6300 nonsense is overwhelming in the current AMD thread. Do a lot of gaming system builders actually buy those?

I mean for low end systems on a very tiny budget it is a decent choice, but for anything with a budget around or over $6-700 there is no competition obviously. Some people have brand loyalty and I get that, but what I don't get is refusing to see the obviously superior product.

Marceles

Hey guys, finally completely my BEHEMOTH!

Check it out - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/QCn

Here are the pics:

qnXWEMk.jpg

dxrJgz4.jpg

2Yj3GX7.jpg

Congrats on your first build :), I also built my first last month. Did you go for the reference card because it looks cooler?

Every time I see a computer with a modular power supply I get mad I didn't go that route lol. Builds look so clean with it, I might end up buying one next week. Good choice on the red LED fans and RAM too. Would be cool if you could change the Geforce logo color to red.

It's also cool that Corsair has different colors for the top of the cooler. I have the plain H60, so I'm stuck with black.

My computer is also on the carpet since there's no room to put it anywhere, but I see people are giving you a hard time about that lol. I have the R4 mini case, which is still huge. I'm not sure what I can do about getting it off the floor

I think you're just seeking validation for buying another 780.

780 > 780ti is barely an upgrade. I'm not rich enough to SLI my 780ti but I hear that most games SLI well enough. FWIW I game at 1440p and I get at least 60fps on all my games at max settings.

Yeah, that's mostly it to be 100% honest.

Skyzard

Banned

Intel 3570 @ 4.3Ghz
32GB DDR3
(1) SSD 120GB boot drive
(1) SSD 250 gamedrive

Damn you like nice things. I think you're just seeking validation for buying another 780.

I very recently upgraded from 780 -> 780 ti SC. (RMA'd the 780, as it wasn't sealed).

The difference is quite slight but worth it for me as I like to max things out and am sensitive to slight drops. The 780 was just falling behind a tad. The ti doesn't turn water to wine but keeps things running good.

It's also a lot quieter than my windforce EVGA 780.

I would never go dual-card again because I don't like upgrading too often.

I dunno if your cpu is holding it back, probably not for the majority of games but I'm not sure.

Smokey

Samsung 4k monitor that I ordered came in.

So much usable space on the screen ;_;

Will test out the 780Tis in a bit

Waited until Amazon had them in stock themselves. Got it for $700. The next day it dropped to $600. Spoke with Amazon and they credited that $100 back to me. Just a FYI for those who may be looking into this monitor...the price seems to fluctuate.

maneil99

Purolator fucked up my delivery again... so from a Thursday delivery they managed to fuck it up into a Tuesday delivery. :S

Samsung 4k monitor that I ordered came in.

So much usable space on the screen ;_;

Will test out the 780Tis in a bit

Waited until Amazon had them in stock themselves. Got it for $700. The next day it dropped to $600. Spoke with Amazon and they credited that $100 back to me. Just a FYI for those who may be looking into this monitor...the price seems to fluctuate.

Can it go >60Hz at lower resolutions? Would be cool if it did 1080p120

Friend of mine is looking for a mid-tier card, around $150-$200.

After rebates and whatnot, this card works out to $190. Any thoughts? Anything better to look at?

He has a fairly low end card at the moment and will primarily be using it for gaming. Wants to run things at High or better at 1080p or below, with reasonably sold frame rates. I've made a note of what's in the OP in that price bracket and will be looking at them tonight.

kharma45

Friend of mine is looking for a mid-tier card, around $150-$200.

After rebates and whatnot, this card works out to $190. Any thoughts? Anything better to look at?

He has a fairly low end card at the moment and will primarily be using it for gaming. Wants to run things at High or better at 1080p or below, with reasonably sold frame rates. I've made a note of what's in the OP in that price bracket and will be looking at them tonight.

Great card still. It's the 7950 rebranded essentially and competes with the GTX 760. He'd not go wrong with it at all.

ombz

So recently my motherboard shutdown and would not power on again. I RMAd the board and got it repaired. The repaired board worked for awhile but the pc would randomly shutoff. Finally it shut down and would not power on again. I got a new motherboard today after giving up on the old one but the new board is not working either. When I power the board on the cpu fan spins for a second then shuts off. Could the new board be defective? Or could it be a cpu or ram problem now?(keeping in mind I've had the cpu and ram working fine well before the first problem board)
UPDATE: I received a new asus motherboard with led indicators. I have the same problem noted in the quotes. The led for sbpwr is lit solid with none of the other LEDs lit

Skyzard

Banned
You mean, you wouldn't SLI? Also, that 780 ti SC, is that with an ACX cooler, or stock EVGA?

Yes, only because of previous hassles and waiting for support (technically it was crossfire, 4870x2 - so maybe things are a lot better...). My card came with the ACX cooler.

Smokey

We should combine sicknesses. Watercool your displays?

that would actually look pretty sick. You Know how i feel about that wet wet tho

How's the picture quality compare to your 1600p IPS monitor?

Well I was going to try and game on it...but my PC crashed 2x. Think it's because of a pretty hard OC that I forgot I had on. or maybe 4k is just too stronk for my machine.Probably won't get another chance until tomorrow night as I am in the process of a move.

The build quality isn't as good as my U3011. You can't adjust the stand or even tilt it from what I could see. I knew all of that going in though.

We all have some sort of sickness here

True. At least I can admit it though. Maybe I'll donate one of mine to that GAF giveaway PC that's been talked about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom