• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what goes into deciding if one gets an nVidia vs AMD graphics card?

I've been saving some money and I really want to upgrade my PC to a 1080p+ machine, but I'm now sure which card setup to go with. Its significantly more than my current card so I want to be a bit more thorough with my purchase.

I usually go with Radeons because they've always served me well plus for the price I pay I get good performance. But for $1000+ I'm not sure any more.

Just bought the first piece of my first real computer. :)

This thread is awesome.

Though I wonder if I have just opened the doorway to being broke for some time to come. ;)

kharma45

So what goes into deciding if one gets an nVidia vs AMD graphics card?

I've been saving some money and I really want to upgrade my PC to a 1080p+ machine, but I'm now sure which card setup to go with. Its significantly more than my current card so I want to be a bit more thorough with my purchase.

I usually go with Radeons because they've always served me well plus for the price I pay I get good performance. But for $1000+ I'm not sure any more.

First thing I'd want to know is do you use any software that requires CUDA or OpenCL?

I take it that the fans on the RMxxx PSUs from Corsair only spin under a certain load, right? So if I'm not doing anything taxing, the fan won't spin.

Yes.

The XFX XTR (I'd take it over the RM) does this too, and a few other models.

I'm overclocking the i7 4770K PC I just built for a friend. Prime95 ran for 9 hours without a problem but at some point the temps hit 86C @ 4.2Ghz and 1.2v. I already reapplied the thermal paste and reseated the cooler and the temps were the same, so I just bumped the voltage down to 1.15v, still @ 4.2 GHz. The temps have stabilized under 80C so far (30 min of Prime95). Hopefully, it remains stable. 86C is beyond my comfort zone, especially for a PC I can't monitor regularly.

Damn it. Locked up after 2 hours 30 mins. 1.17v next. Optimizing voltage is a pain in the ass.

Okay, my 4.5-year-old PC has finally bitten the dust, and I'm looking around at parts for building a new one. If I go through with it, it'll be the first I've built from scratch.

As such, I have a dumb question about drive bay sizes. I'm looking at a Zalman Z9 U3, which has 1 3.5" and 3 5.25" external bays. I want to add an LG BH14NS48 Blu-ray drive, which measures 148x42x177 mm, or 5.82x1.65x6.96 inches. Will this fit in a 5.25" bay?

kiyomi

I take it that the fans on the RMxxx PSUs from Corsair only spin under a certain load, right? So if I'm not doing anything taxing, the fan won't spin.

Yes but there are probably better PSUs at that price point. Cooler Master VS series etc.

Okay, my 4.5-year-old PC has finally bitten the dust, and I'm looking around at parts for building a new one. If I go through with it, it'll be the first I've built from scratch.

As such, I have a dumb question about drive bay sizes. I'm looking at a Zalman Z9 U3, which has 1 3.5" and 3 5.25" external bays. I want to add an LG BH14NS48 Blu-ray drive, which measures 148x42x177 mm, or 5.82x1.65x6.96 inches. Will this fit in a 5.25" bay?

It should. The DVD drive I got is 5.8x1.6x6.7, and it fits perfectly in my 5.25" bay. I honestly couldn't tell you why it's called a 5.25" bay though.

It should. The DVD drive I got is 5.8x1.6x6.7, and it fits perfectly in my 5.25" bay. I honestly couldn't tell you why it's called a 5.25" bay though.

Awesome, thanks!

Apparently the name 5.25" has to do with the size of the floppy disks the drives were made around.

Here's my tentative shopping list...

CPU: i5 4670 (26,590 yen)
Motherboard: ASUS H87-Pro (9,504 yen)
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333 or 1600 (about 8,000 yen)
SSD: Crucial CT120M500SSD1.PK01 120 GB (8,400 yen)
Storage: Western Digital WD20EZRX 2TB (7,780 yen)
Power supply: RAIDER RA-650 (7,580 yen)
Case: Zalman Z9 U3 (5,439 yen)
Optical drive: LG Electronics BH14NS48 (7,860 yen)

Total: about 82,428 yen

Graphics: maybe later, or a SAPPHIRE R7 260X (20,050 yen)

Windows 7 license, mouse, keyboard, speakers, monitor, wireless adapter, and external HDDs will be carried over from the last machine.

Awesome, thanks!

Apparently the name 5.25" has to do with the size of the floppy disks the drives were made around.

CPU: i7 4770K (36,698 yen)
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero (22,760 yen)
Graphics: SAPPHIRE R7 260X (20,050 yen)

Total: about 116,167 yen

Mouse, keyboard, speakers, monitor, wireless adapter, and external HDDs will be carried over from the last machine.

Drop down to an i5 4670k the i7 is definitely not worth the extra money for what you're looking to do with your build. With the extra 100, 150 bucks I would step up to at least a 270x for good frame rates for Occulous games.

dmr87

Awesome, thanks!

CPU: i7 4770K (36,698 yen)
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero (22,760 yen)
Graphics: SAPPHIRE R7 260X (20,050 yen)

Total: about 116,167 yen

Mouse, keyboard, speakers, monitor, wireless adapter, and external HDDs will be carried over from the last machine.

I've never heard of the PSU, others can comment on that. Are you overclocking? If not, the motherboard is overkill, and if you don't plan on streaming/encoding stuff you can go with a 4670k instead. You should really get a SSD for your OS, I recommend a Samsung 840 Evo or Pro.

Uhhh guys, WTF? I just went on The Wticher 2 and before the game even started, it had a setting configuration tool pop up, and on there was a button to automatically adjust to the best settings based on my system.

I hit it, and I thought everything would jump to maximum settings. Sadly, it went to "High" and not "Ultra", and a load of graphics options are turned off.

What in the fuck I didn't pay £530 for a GPU for this shit. I thought this GPU could eat any current game on the market at max. settings.

Uhhh guys, WTF? I just went on The Wticher 2 and before the game even started, it had a setting configuration tool pop up, and on there was a button to automatically adjust to the best settings based on my system.

I hit it, and I thought everything would jump to maximum settings. Sadly, it went to "High" and not "Ultra", and a load of graphics options are turned off.

What in the fuck I didn't pay £530 for a GPU for this shit. I thought this GPU could eat any current game on the market at max. settings.

The card didn't even exist when that utility was created. Turn everything up except Uber-sampling.

Edit:

It's a 780 ti? Fuck, it can probably handle uber-sampling as well.

I've never heard of the PSU, others can comment on that. Are you overclocking? If not, the motherboard is overkill, and if you don't plan on streaming/encoding stuff you can go with a 4670k instead. You should really get a SSD for your OS, I recommend a Samsung 840 Evo or Pro.

I don't overclock, as I very rarely play PC games. I will be doing Oculus stuff whenever it arrives. Which motherboard would you recommend for a 4670k?

The card didn't even exist when that utility was created. Turn everything up except Uber-sampling.

Edit:

It's a 780 ti? Fuck, it can probably handle uber-sampling as well.

lol thanks, mate.

As you can tell, I'm probably sounding n00bish as hell. This is my first foray into PC gaming, guys.

It feels weird as hell playing a fully next-genish game on the same thing I'm using to browse, go on websites, play music, etc.

lol thanks, mate.

As you can tell, I'm probably sounding n00bish as hell. This is my first foray into PC gaming, guys.

It feels weird as hell playing a fully next-genish game on the same thing I'm using to browse, go on websites, play music, etc.

I'd turn off bloom and sharpening as well, but not for performance reasons. I think they are way way overdone in the Witcher 2 but that's an atheistic choice.

luiztfc

Dawgs, what kind of brand and model do you recommend for a 32 GB (4x8) ram? At the moment, I have 8GB and it just doesn't cut it. Also, keep in mind that I don't live in the US and I'll be using a forward system that will cost me a fixed amount for shipping, so even though 16GB would be a better choice (CxB wise), since I'll be paying the same (high) price for shipping, I'd rather take the better option.

Thanks!

I'd turn off bloom and sharpening as well, but not for performance reasons. I think they are way way overdone in the Witcher 2 but that's an atheistic choice.

Will check it out, then probably agree and turn them off lol.

I won't be playing this today anyway. It's currently the most advanced game in my meagre GoG and Steam collections, so I just wanted to see what the card could do.

I have the first game, so intend on playing that first.

dmr87

I don't overclock, as I very rarely play PC games. I will be doing Oculus stuff whenever it arrives. Which motherboard would you recommend for a 4670k?

I'm not really in the market for lower end motherboards so I'm not too informed about them but I can look around and come back if I find something. Not to say that the Maximus VI Hero is the highest of the high-end but it's more expensive and premium than what you need.

You'll need a Z97 motherboard.

Actually I'm looking into this now and there seems to be some confusion going on as to whether Z87 will support the 4790K.

Some are saying there will be a BIOS update for Z87 that will support it, while others are saying it's Z97 only. It might be better to wait until closer to release and the details are made clear.

Of course, going Z97 will still give you more features and Broadwell support.

I'm not really in the market for lower end motherboards so I'm not too informed about them but I can look around and come back if I find something. Not to say that the Maximus VI Hero is the highest of the high-end but it's more expensive and premium than what you need.

I was recommended an ASUS H87-Pro, and that looks to be about right.

kiyomi

If you're not overclocking then you have absolutely no need for the 4670K. The K-models denote an unlocked multiplier for overclocking.

Grab a non-K 4670, 4690, or 4570 instead. Whichever's cheapest, really. As for motherboard, the check out Gigabyte's range of H87/H97 boards such as the GA-H97M-D3H, GA-H87M-D3H or GA-H87-D3H. The M models are MicroATX. Really as long as you go for something not too low end, you can't go too far wrong with H87/H97.

luiztfc said:
Dawgs, what kind of brand and model do you recommend for a 32 GB (4x8) ram? At the moment, I have 8GB and it just doesn't cut it. Also, keep in mind that I don't live in the US and I'll be using a forward system that will cost me a fixed amount for shipping, so even though 16GB would be a better choice (CxB wise), since I'll be paying the same (high) price for shipping, I'd rather take the better option.

Thanks!

Is this purely for gaming and a couple of other programs running at the same time? Unless you're big into production/content creation, you don't need 32GB. By the time you're even close using 16GB of that RAM for games and a few background programs running at the same time, we'll be well into DDR4 as the norm.

Samus4145

Want to get GAFs thoughts for fan placement in the Rosewill R5. I picked up 3 Cougar Vortex fans to use in conjunction with the 2 front and 1 rear that is already in the case.

I figured one at the bottom for intake and put the 2 other ones on top. Normally I would use as exhaust, but Rosewill as put a foam filter across the top, making me think they expect it to be used as intake and not exhaust.

Any one else have the case or a similar setup?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
In the good old days you usually had to reinstall your OS when you upgraded motherboard/cpu, does it still work like that?

Actually I'm looking into this now and there seems to be some confusion going on as to whether Z87 will support the 4790K.

Some are saying there will be a BIOS update for Z87 that will support it, while others are saying it's Z97 only. It might be better to wait until closer to release and the details are made clear.

Of course, going Z97 will still give you more features and Broadwell support.

I think they made it clear the the unlocked K series won't be compatible with z87.

Paches

Quick question, I am putting together a machine for someone and they don't game, but do watch Netflix/Hulu etc. Will the Intel i3 4130 in the budget PC build be enough to render the video if I ditch the video card? They will only be using this as a internet/word processing machine.

LilJoka

Quick question, I am putting together a machine for someone and they don't game, but do watch Netflix/Hulu etc. Will the Intel i3 4130 in the budget PC build be enough to render the video if I ditch the video card? They will only be using this as a internet/word processing machine.

Even a Pentium is enough

luiztfc

If you're not overclocking then you have absolutely no need for the 4670K. The K-models denote an unlocked multiplier for overclocking.

Grab a non-K 4670, 4690, or 4570 instead. Whichever's cheapest, really. As for motherboard, the check out Gigabyte's range of H87/H97 boards such as the GA-H97M-D3H, GA-H87M-D3H or GA-H87-D3H. The M models are MicroATX. Really as long as you go for something not too low end, you can't go too far wrong with H87/H97.

Is this purely for gaming and a couple of other programs running at the same time? Unless you're big into production/content creation, you don't need 32GB. By the time you're even close using 16GB of that RAM for games and a few background programs running at the same time, we'll be well into DDR4 as the norm.

I use three monitors and like to keep multiple tabs open for different twich streams, while I play Dota or other game. What model do you recommend?

Duly noted. Thanks for the input!

Replaced my mobo and PSU in my OEM HP last night and installed a Zalman CNPS8900 Quiet. I ended up with a couple of wires I couldn't figure out for the longest time. It was freaking me out for a bit until I realized that my old mobo had built in wifi. One went to the antenna that was hidden under the plastic façade, and the other went to a small LED on the front showing when it was on/off. So I just tucked them away. It's running like a charm. I haven't overclocked yet, but I definitely plan to. (I'm still running the Phenom II X6 1045T so I'll have to learn how to OC with the FSB.

I also got a Win 8.1 Pro key from r/softwareswap for $16. The seller was s5ean. He was quick and responsive. He even explained the process to me via PM. I'm running 8.1 Pro as I'm typing this.

The best part was finding $60 I'd forgotten about in my Paypal account after almost 3 years of inactivity.

kharma45

Replaced my mobo and PSU last night and installed a Zalman CNPS8900 Quiet. I haven't overclocked yet, but I definitely plan to.

I also got a Win 8.1 Pro key from r/softwareswap for $16. Is it OK to post who you purchased from here?

The best part was finding $60 I'd forgotten about in my Paypal account after almost 3 years of inactivity.

Yeah if they were good to deal with and the key works by all means post here so we could direct people towards a trusted seller.

Yeah if they were good to deal with and the key works by all means post here so we could direct people towards a trusted seller.

Thanks, edited. I created a Reddit account this morning so I could PM him for the sell. My account there isn't old enough to comment in the "May Confirmed Sales Thread" to vouch for him there.

kiyomi

I also got a Win 8.1 Pro key from r/softwareswap for $16. The seller was s5ean. He was quick and responsive. He even explained the process to me via PM. I'm running 8.1 Pro as I'm typing this.

Don't suppose he supplied an ISO, did he..? As someone with no 64-bit Windows access, it's really tough for me to go down the Reddit route.

Jon Armdog

I also purchased from s5ean via r/software swap using PayPal. The dude was very fast, transaction was easy. I think the entire thing took 10 minutes. I bought Windows 7 Pro and Office Pro. I would definitely do that again

He provided links to the 64 bit .iso as well, if I'm remembering correctly. I didn't have 64 bit computer access either, so that was good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom