• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, birthday money and quarterly bonus money. My pockets are burning. Someone here have firsthand experience with the NZXT H440? I'm about to pull the trigger. But, foregoing an optical drive seems so weird. Maybe I'm just too old.

appaws

Banned
Smokey,

I always imagine you as a skinny black dude smoking weed because of your avatar. Even though I know about Friday and everything.

One of my all time favorite movie characters.

Hope you didnt buy that display with Big Worms money...

bennycash

Neo Member
Hey all, I just built my first computer and installed League of Legends and noticed the FPS was incredibly low, around 10 to 15. I checked the video settings and noticed they were already on low-medium. After seeing this I increased all video settings to high-max and was getting the same frame rate. I also opened up the Nvidia Geforce Experience app and it recognized LoL and recommended the highest settings for nearly everything. After seeing Nvidia's optimized settings I could tell that something was wrong. Thinking maybe it was a LoL issue I installed Dark Souls II and as soon as it started up the FPS was so bad I could barely play. Obviously at this point I know it is an issue and came here for help. I've been googling and searching but have had no luck. Below are my specs, I really hope that you guys can help me out towards solving the issue.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $189.99)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $29.98)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $114.99)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $72.99)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $49.99)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($258.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $909.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-16 22:12 EDT-0400)

Friend going to buy these parts, GAF see anything wrong with this build?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3LqEn

Said wants to use mainly for gaming and streaming on Twitch. I told him he could change some of those out on that budget and get a better rig. Like get rid of the m/kb and upgrade the GPU to a 4GB and maybe get a better brand than Zotac...I don't think he's going to be doing much OCing, so not sure why he needs that motherboard. Another spot can cut down on budget and get a CPU/GPU with more raw power. Don't need a K series CPU if no OCing.

Just installed a fresh OS onto a SSD.
It's Win 7 Ultimate and the SSD size is 120GB, however after installing and updating all the drivers, I only have 37GB left.
Is this normal? Why is it taking up so much space?

dmr87

Said wants to use mainly for gaming and streaming on Twitch. I told him he could change some of those out on that budget and get a better rig. Like get rid of the m/kb and upgrade the GPU to a 4GB and maybe get a better brand than Zotac...I don't think he's going to be doing much OCing, so not sure why he needs that motherboard. Another spot can cut down on budget and get a CPU/GPU with more raw power. Don't need a K series CPU if no OCing.

Looks good, I'd take a Pro over the Evo version but that's just me, and a minor thing in the end.

Just installed a fresh OS onto a SSD.
It's Win 7 Ultimate and the SSD size is 120GB, however after installing and updating all the drivers, I only have 37GB left.
Is this normal? Why is it taking up so much space?

How much RAM do you have installed? I'm guessing this is your problem, or one of them http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enable-disable.html.

b0bbyJ03

I'm going to upgrade my i5 to an i7. once i swap out the processor does the BIOS automatically recognize the new chip? will I have to update anything in windows?

xBladeM6x

If you're using an OEM version of Windows, when you build a new computer from scratch, can you use the same disc / product code on the new PC? I remember reading somewhere that OEM versions are basically only good for one use on a single hardware setup, then you're fucked.

Boss Mog

It kind of pisses me off that they're phasing out PCI slots on new mobos. I get that it's old tech and such but seriously why the fuck do they need to put 3 full PCI- Express slots on a mid-range mobo that's not geared towards gaming. Same with a whole bunch of PCI- E 1x slots, two is more than enough. All I want is 1 PCI slot so I can use my 11 year-old sound card that I love.

Sound cards today are complete overpriced garbage. I guess there's less of a market for them since on-board sound is semi-decent these days and most people just don't care. and that's why they have to charge more.

If I want to get a decent Z97 mobo where I can use my sound card I pretty much have to go for the GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H. Is Gigabyte decent? I've mainly used Asus mobos over the years but I have used ASRock, MSI and the defunct Abit as well; never Gigabyte though.

Mozendo

Aside from what you mentioned
The MSI GTX 770 (2GB) is only $300
I'd switch the PSU. Why does he want 700w? Is Coolest Master even reliable?

Aside from that these are just personal prefrences.
I'd switch the mouse to a Zowie EC1 eVo
Change the PSU to a Seasonic SS-660XP2

Did he say why he wanted a series processor and a Z87 Mobo? Try talking to him about it the fact that he didn't put a CPU cooler probably means he just looked at other builds for parts and tried mixing a build of his own.

dmr87

Boss★Moogle;112321090 said:
If I want to get a decent Z97 mobo where I can use my sound card I pretty much have to go for the GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H. Is Gigabyte decent? I've mainly used Asus mobos over the years but I have used ASRock, MSI and the defunct Abit as well; never Gigabyte though.

I'm an Asus guy myself when it comes to motherboards but I haven't heard anything bad about Gigabyte or MSI, I'm sure they are good boards overall. I've had Gigabyte GPUs and they have been flawless for me, my next purchase is most likely going to be a MSI card.

Hello fellow gaffers.

a day or so ago I posted (after my account approved) a bit of a frustrated post regarding Black screen on Sapphire R9 290X with a lot of cash shoved down the toilet and parts which are/were over kill.

I am happy to inform you that I believe I have found a solution.

I have read countless threads now by googling the problem. And I believe that reason is faulty hardware used to push the card to the market as soon as possible.

I believe that problem is the memory module which cannot run at 1250 Mhz frequency. For a while i thought it was the power source as the GPU load goes up the power supply could not flush out the required power quickly but I have been playing Witcher 2 on Ultra close to 40 fps without any other sort of over clocking. In the bios I have 1.200 Volts going to the CPU (I7 4770k on stock cooler) and Rams at 1.65 (as indicated on the module itself). 2400 Mhz

Now the low FPS could be due to absolute shit hdd I am using which came with the PS3 (220 gig) , however I was more interested in getting the core parts running before buying a SSD + proper HDD.

So as a lot of people indicate that their GPU card has Elpdia memory and it crashes. Well what I did is I lowered the memory clock by 50 and upped the power by 5 to 10% in Ati Overdrive. I got rid of Afterburner.

So in the end it is a defective card and I am not willing to pay 50 dollars "administration" fees to RMA it to Sapphire ... from here in Canada.

I have tested The Witcher 2 on Ultra and the Frame Rate is 35 to 40+ fps. I am not sure if that is what its suppose to be I was hoping for 60 fps.

As of now the clock sits at 1225 mhz for memory and the Power is at +10%

I am open to suggestions and perhaps if someone can advise if the Frame rate on Ultra is in acceptable range. I also have battlefield 4 which with v Sync stays close to 60 however its not smooth 60. If I take out V Sync I get 70+ but its distracting with drops.

I have the latest official AMD Driver.

Sanjay

Samsung 4k monitor that I ordered came in.

So much usable space on the screen ;_;

Will test out the 780Tis in a bit

Waited until Amazon had them in stock themselves. Got it for $700. The next day it dropped to $600. Spoke with Amazon and they credited that $100 back to me. Just a FYI for those who may be looking into this monitor...the price seems to fluctuate.

WE WANT PICS, of games.

Did he say why he wanted a series processor and a Z87 Mobo? Try talking to him about it the fact that he didn't put a CPU cooler probably means he just looked at other builds for parts and tried mixing a build of his own.

That's why I assumed he wasn't going to overclock because that looked a little ridiculous to me, haha. Recommendations on CPU/Motherboard if he doesn't OC? I'm going to convince him to get a GTX 770 4GB instead with a PSU with less juice than that Coolermaster.

xBladeM6x

My PC keeps shutting down when I'm playing Deus EX HR Director's Cut.

Here's my setup.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Lxpo

Do you think 500W PSU is the problem?

Looks like it could be when your CPU / GPU ramps up. Go with something like a 700-750 power supply, like the one I'm using.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0090I9VZI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If it's not your power supply (which it could be) take a look at your GPU / CPU temps during gameplay. That's about all else that would cause that. (I would recommend doing this first, before blowing your money on something that doesn't fix it)

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
My PC keeps shutting down when I'm playing Deus EX HR Director's Cut.

Here's my setup.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Lxpo

Do you think 500W PSU is the problem?

Your link shows a 550w PSU, and I doubt that is an issue with the components you have installed.

Does this happen with any other games, or just Deus Ex?

That game isn't exactly the most taxing in the first place.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm going to upgrade my i5 to an i7. once i swap out the processor does the BIOS automatically recognize the new chip? will I have to update anything in windows?
I did this and it wasn't worth it. What's making you upgrade?

The V series are absolute beasts of PSUs, if not the lookers and as cable friendly. I'm honestly thinking about cutting back on PSU recommendations since they've gotten so good now.

Serandur

10mm copper pipe that I painted.

You're hitting the heat wall where the internal TIM isn't able to transfer the heat properly. You either need to delid, or just be happy with a 4.4ish overclock. A better cooler isn't going to save you from those really high temps.

Rant ahead: I knew you would be right, but I did get my PH-TC14PE and I tried it out and though it's one hell of a cooler and that shows with lower voltages, you were right about the internal heatwall and I just had to see for myself how badly Intel screwed up their thermal transfer solution. It's bad. My chip's not the best mind you, but I'm limited to 4.3 GHz and ~1.18v with a top-of-the-line air cooler if I don't want to cross 80C under maximum load and 4.5 GHz requires about 1.28-1.29 which drives my temperatures into the low 90s, my coolest core being a full 15C cooler than the hottest. Had I gotten an equivalent not-so-lucky Haswell chip, I don't expect I would have been able to make it over 4.0-4.1 GHz with my self-imposed limitations, especially not with adaptive vcore and heavy AVX2 loads.

For the sake of future quality, I'm hoping the Haswell refresh is massively improved in both thermal and voltage regulation (and I slightly regret not waiting, but I still love my 3770K) and though I've decided I will delid my chip, but I'd like to wait until Skylake's out so I have a backup plan if I fail, I hate Intel right now, The slow IPC gains aren't as big of an issue for me as they're still there and we're getting more advanced instruction sets, but the way they've crippled their ~$300+, K-series i7s with one huge issue that's so simple to fix that consumers with macroscopic consumer tools can undo a modern semiconductor's apathetic incompetence, the way they're wasting more and more of the die space on a worthless iGPU for their desktop audiences, scrapping certain instruction sets on K-series to segment the market further, and the way they completely ignore doing the smallest of tweaks (like an AVX-specific voltage setting in BIOSes or a proper thermal solution at least for their flagship mainstream chips) is pissing me off.

I think my 3770K might be a particularly-botched pasting job (as it's getting way too hot for my cooler), one of those fringe cases that would see a 20C+ drop on my hottest core from delidding. It's disgusting, need to void my warranty and potentially destroy my chip to get it able to do what I paid for it, as a K-series chip, to do. It should have specific tweaks to assist with that in the first place when they're selling it as its own flagship SKU with specific motherboards needed. Sorry for the rant, probably a bit late to it (so 2012/2013).

Hey guys, is 30c a good temperature for idle resting rate of the i7 4770k? Or should I buy some aftermarket thermal compound and remove the stock H105 thermal compound?

I checked this in UEFI, but how would I test the CPU temp when underload?

maneil99

Hey guys, is 30c a good temperature for idle resting rate of the i7 4770k? Or should I buy some aftermarket thermal compound and remove the stock H105 thermal compound?

Yea thats fine/normal. Use Hwmonitor, CPUtemp or Coretemp to check while underload. Use Prime95 to test the very hottest it will get under the most intense load

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Rant ahead: I knew you would be right, but I did get my PH-TC14PE and I tried it out and though it's one hell of a cooler and that shows with lower voltages, you were right about the internal heatwall and I just had to see for myself how badly Intel screwed up their thermal transfer solution. It's bad. My chip's not the best mind you, but I'm limited to 4.3 GHz and ~1.18v with a top-of-the-line air cooler if I don't want to cross 80C under maximum load and 4.5 GHz requires about 1.28-1.29 which drives my temperatures into the low 90s, my coolest core being a full 15C cooler than the hottest. Had I gotten an equivalent not-so-lucky Haswell chip, I don't expect I would have been able to make it over 4.0-4.1 GHz with my self-imposed limitations, especially not with adaptive vcore and heavy AVX2 loads.

For the sake of future quality, I'm hoping the Haswell refresh is massively improved in both thermal and voltage regulation (and I slightly regret not waiting, but I still love my 3770K) and though I've decided I will delid my chip, but I'd like to wait until Skylake's out so I have a backup plan if I fail, I hate Intel right now, The slow IPC gains aren't as big of an issue for me as they're still there and we're getting more advanced instruction sets, but the way they've crippled their ~$300+, K-series i7s with one huge issue that's so simple to fix that consumers with macroscopic consumer tools can undo a modern semiconductor's apathetic incompetence, the way they're wasting more and more of the die space on a worthless iGPU for their desktop audiences, scrapping certain instruction sets on K-series to segment the market further, and the way they completely ignore doing the smallest of tweaks (like an AVX-specific voltage setting in BIOSes or a proper thermal solution at least for their flagship mainstream chips) is pissing me off.

I think my 3770K might be a particularly-botched pasting job (as it's getting way too hot for my cooler), one of those fringe cases that would see a 20C+ drop on my hottest core from delidding. It's disgusting, need to void my warranty and potentially destroy my chip to get it able to do what I paid for it, as a K-series chip, to do. It should have specific tweaks to assist with that in the first place when they're selling it as its own flagship SKU with specific motherboards needed. Sorry for the rant, probably a bit late to it (so 2012/2013).
Welcome to months ago during the initial backlash.
Vice method has extremely low failure rate.

Also for the 99th time it's not the TIM it's the fact the gap is for, whatever reason, so large (TIM is not helping either). Someone on Anandtech forums did a ton of analysis on it.

That's great.

demolitio

Well, my HDD is starting to act up so I guess it's time to find a deal on a Hybrid Drive to go along with my small SSD. Wasn't expecting to do this anytime soon but what can you do, right? If I need a 1TB drive for sure, maybe I should just try to find a deal on a 2TB one.

oti

Banned
Today's the day. This is intimidating. (That cooler is humongous. And all that for that small CPU? Oh well.)

fBsTxGm.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Well, my HDD is starting to act up so I guess it's time to find a deal on a Hybrid Drive to go along with my small SSD. Wasn't expecting to do this anytime soon but what can you do, right? If I need a 1TB drive for sure, maybe I should just try to find a deal on a 2TB one.
2x1TB

Serandur

Welcome to months ago during the initial backlash.
Vice method has extremely low failure rate.

Also for the 99th time it's not the TIM it's the fact the gap is for, whatever reason, so large (TIM is not helping either). Someone on Anandtech forums did a ton of analysis on it.

That's great.

Yeah, I've been recommended the vice method before. Any recommendations for a cheap vice? I do not own one.

I know it's the gap, shouldn't have used the word "pasting". The gap is even more incompetent though. How does Intel, off all manufacturing corporations, fail to account for that... two generations in a row? A bit less glue (or slightly altered IHS dimensions) is such an easy solution, did they not test these things?

Edit: It might give off the impression I'm new to all this, but I've known about this stuff for a while, knew the heat issues these things had before I purchased one, knew about the IHS gap, knew about delidding, etc. It's just more on my mind now as it's actually relevant to what I'm planning to do, so I'm just talking a bit more about it.

TheD

The Detective
Looks like it could be when your CPU / GPU ramps up. Go with something like a 700-750 power supply, like the one I'm using.

If it's not your power supply (which it could be) take a look at your GPU / CPU temps during gameplay. That's about all else that would cause that. (I would recommend doing this first, before blowing your money on something that doesn't fix it)

A 550W PSU is by far enough to run that system, getting a 750W is just a waste of money.

Is anything overclocked ? Unless that psu is ancient or one of junk brands it shouldn't be a problem.

BstnRich

That thread title...I'm glad my 2500k is far from being irrelevant. It's probably the best PC related purchase I've ever made.

Second is probably the HD 7950. I had no idea that it would be such a beast when I picked it up on a whim last November

Can confirm the HD 7950 is beastly. Easy to overclock. Can play (paired with 3570k & 8 GB Ram) Crysis 3 at 50-60 FPS on highest settings but with AA on low setting. It can handle higher AA settings, but at the cost of FPS.

But my significant other mostly uses it to play Sims 3 and watch RuPaul's Drag Race. :|

Smokey

Smokey,

I always imagine you as a skinny black dude smoking weed because of your avatar. Even though I know about Friday and everything.

One of my all time favorite movie characters.

Hope you didnt buy that display with Big Worms money...

You got one part right :p

I'm overclocking the i7 4770K PC I just built for a friend. Prime95 ran for 9 hours without a problem but at some point the temps hit 86C @ 4.2Ghz and 1.2v. I already reapplied the thermal paste and reseated the cooler and the temps were the same, so I just bumped the voltage down to 1.15v, still @ 4.2 GHz. The temps have stabilized under 80C so far (30 min of Prime95). Hopefully, it remains stable. 86C is beyond my comfort zone, especially for a PC I can't monitor regularly.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?

Holy shit why a 160 $ PSU? You don't need 700W for that setup.
I would switch the PSU and the RAM to maybe these two

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cs550m
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-memory-bls2kit8g3d1609ds1s00

and for the saved money get a GTX 780 or even better an AMD 290x. Also like you said if he doesn't OC he could save a little more on the Motherboard and CPU by switching to the Non-K version.

And as someone else said try to get Windows 8.1 on Reddit.

Oh and tell him to get a CPU cooler

Scum

I take it that the fans on the RMxxx PSUs from Corsair only spin under a certain load, right? So if I'm not doing anything taxing, the fan won't spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom