• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMink

Whatever case you buy that comes with 2 fans will be adequate. 1 fan on an air cooler is fine. Some people prefer two slower fans. Everything now is honestly so quiet unless you have an R9 290 it's a nonissue.

Still deciding on a GPU, right now im looking at the R9 280. Its all very confusing tbh..

Skyzard

Banned
Oau95SE.jpg

Looking at buying this. I already have HDD's

Any issues you guys can see?
Will I need better/more cooling?

That's basically my rig.

4.4GHz with the H100i water pump. Also, Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste.

It's very nice.

I oced 4770k a wee bit to 4 ghz and I'm using a basic coolermaster CPU cooler and it's going fine

Btw the fractal define r4 case is amazing, reccommend that shit. It's got great space behind the motherboard but most importantly I love how quiet it is

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The 18 month mark with an SFF build is when you start to feel like your computer is small in a bad way.

how is this build and what can i improve?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($257.75 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Memory Express)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($169.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($159.79 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Western Digital WD Blue 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.75 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($269.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.75 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-16D1HT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($95.00 @ Vuugo)
Total: $1489.99 canadian

Poker360

Can anyone make me a recommendation on a case?

I currently have this monster:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051U1XMI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's great and all, but it's huge, and i'm looking for something a lot more clean looking rather than an alien looking piece of machinery.

I've been attracted to the bitfenix shenobi cases, based upon aesthetics, but am looking for other opinions. Definitely want to go with a mid tower instead of full tower.

What's going in it:

Corsair H100i
AMD 8350
Gigabyte 7970OC edition
1x samsung 840 pro ssd
1x WD 1 tb hdd
asus dvd drive

leaning towards this guy, thoughts?: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005D5S2ZW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

VoxPop

Was gonna get a 250GB 840 EVO SSD for 130 but my cousin ended up having some extra brand new Intel SSDs and sold me a 400GB one for 175. Couldn't pass on it. Loving it so far :p

Friend going to buy these parts, GAF see anything wrong with this build?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3LqEn

Said wants to use mainly for gaming and streaming on Twitch. I told him he could change some of those out on that budget and get a better rig. Like get rid of the m/kb and upgrade the GPU to a 4GB and maybe get a better brand than Zotac...I don't think he's going to be doing much OCing, so not sure why he needs that motherboard. Another spot can cut down on budget and get a CPU/GPU with more raw power. Don't need a K series CPU if no OCing.

Okay guys. Got some information from him today. Will not be OCing so he doesn't need the K series CPUs and he doesn't need the overpriced PSU/Mobo. Will be using it purely for gaming and streaming on Twitch. Anyone want to help him shift some parts around? Not sure where to start on recommendation for lower tier mobos and what CPU to get outside the Ks. I only have knowledge on the top mobos and K CPUs really. So, we can probably move his budget around a bit and get a better GPU at least. Doesn't need that expensive gaming keyboard either. Said he wants dual monitor setup but didn't specify if that was in the PC budget so I'm just going to ignore that for now since he had no monitors in his link. Work within the budget in that link I guess.

As for the OS, some on here say you can use Reddit to get a cheap OS but I'm not familiar how that works.

Thanks..tried to finish up tonight but bunch of crap went wrong.

1.A portion of the PSU is resting on top of the heatsink. I'm sure that's not good but I can't figure out a way to keep it up.

2. Can't mount my Noiseblocker M12-P 120mm fan in the back because it's all rubber. Tried to use some rubber mounts or rivets but nothing would keep it up there.

3. With HDD bay cage in I can't fit anything in the other side of the cage so I'm basically stuck with no more than 3 drives in the case total.
Any suggestions?
Any suggestions?

So I...

1 Placed one of the thick cpu cables in between the psu and cpu heatsink. I assume those cables are heavily insulated so I hope it doesn't cause many problems.
2. Went to home depot and found a screw/nut combination to put the fan on.
3. Installed everything via USB so I didn't miss the optical drive much.

PC seems to be up and running well but I was surprised how a low (5.9) SSD dragged down my Windows Experience index score. My Samsung Evo was well rated, thought I would lose the most in the graphics department.

Okay guys. Got some information from him today. Will not be OCing so he doesn't need the K series CPUs and he doesn't need the overpriced PSU/Mobo. Will be using it purely for gaming and streaming on Twitch. Anyone want to help him shift some parts around? Not sure where to start on recommendation for lower tier mobos and what CPU to get outside the Ks. I only have knowledge on the top mobos and K CPUs really. So, we can probably move his budget around a bit and get a better GPU at least. Doesn't need that expensive gaming keyboard either. Said he wants dual monitor setup but didn't specify if that was in the PC budget so I'm just going to ignore that for now since he had no monitors in his link. Work within the budget in that link I guess.

As for the OS, some on here say you can use Reddit to get a cheap OS but I'm not familiar how that works.

PM this seller. Several of us here have gotten keys from him.
http://www.reddit.com/r/softwareswa...ndows_7_8_81_office_2013_2010_2011_mac_visio/

scogoth

Has anyone come across a smaller system that has a cool design like this; front 230mm, bottom 230mm, side panel 230mm. All intake. All with dust filters. And a single Exhaust(140mm).

If running at low RPM, wouldn't you still move an outragous amount of air? With that much cooling but from a giant ass 230mm you could really run your fans at very low speeds and still get excellent cooling pressure.

The problem is that I still see mostly cases with 120/140mm fans. And I don't get it. If you could go for a bigger fan, which moves more air why wouldn't you? The premium case fan manufacturers don't even seem like they make fans bigger than 140mm?

More airflow does not mean air pressure. Not that this idea wouldn't work but you would still need a high static pressure fan on heatsinks and those are generally 120mm. Basically what you want is a small LAN boy air

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Any suggestions?

So I...

1 Placed one of the thick cpu cables in between the psu and cpu heatsink. I assume those cables are heavily insulated so I hope it doesn't cause many problems.
2. Went to home depot and found a screw/nut combination to put the fan on.
3. Installed everything via USB so I didn't miss the optical drive much.

PC seems to be up and running well but I was surprised how a low (5.9) SSD dragged down my Windows Experience index score. My Samsung Evo was well rated, thought I would lose the most in the graphics department.
Windows is stupid

CPU cable you mean the 8 pin power? Or the fan power cable? I've never heard of the PSU hitting the HS on a decent case, is it screwed in all the way? On the catch rail?
Maybe it's an old case and a 160mm PSU IDK

2) You'd think for the money they'd give you working mounts

ACE 1991

Okay, so I am about to come into $700 bucks and I'm wondering if I should jump on a GTX 780 or simply wait to get a new GPU. How long would I have to wait until a demonstrably better card comes out at around $500-600?

Windows is stupid

CPU cable you mean the 8 pin power? Or the fan power cable? I've never heard of the PSU hitting the HS on a decent case, is it screwed in all the way? On the catch rail?
Maybe it's an old case and a 160mm PSU IDK

2) You'd think for the money they'd give you working mounts

Well it's a custom back plate the moves the psu to the other side of the case (will post pics when i'm done) to make room for a larger cpu cooler and 120mm exhaust fan: The standard config has something for the psu to sit on but I had to dremel that and the HDD bays for this setup to work.

Edit:

Just did a reinstall (make sure you turn defrag off of your SSD) and the SSD scored a 7.9 putting my score at a 6.7 which is pretty good for onboard graphics!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Oh, wow. Hell, I think I'll use this dude sometime. That's crazy. They're 100% legit? He must be an employee or something and gets a ton of those keys. Thanks. Going to look into this guy for myself when I build my PC. I'm assuming they're OEM keys?
they activate *shrug*

Oh, wow. Hell, I think I'll use this dude sometime. That's crazy. They're 100% legit? He must be an employee or something and gets a ton of those keys. Thanks. Going to look into this guy for myself when I build my PC. I'm assuming they're OEM keys?

You can always ask me too, I have a few spare 8.0 PRO keys. Which can activate 8.1 but not install it, you need the generic 8.1 that's going around first.

Guffers

Okay, so I am about to come into $700 bucks and I'm wondering if I should jump on a GTX 780 or simply wait to get a new GPU. How long would I have to wait until a demonstrably better card comes out at around $500-600?

I have a 780 and absolutely love it. Couldn't you get a Ti for that price now though?

Hieberrr

All of my parts finally came and I was able to put together my first build... ever. Lots of fun and some confusing moments, but in the end it all worked out.

I now have a huge appreciation for you cable management wizards.

Note to self: Get a modular PSU next time.

Kalm

Can anyone make me a recommendation on a case?

Have you looked at the Corsair 550d yet?

I'm trying to decide between it and the windowless Shinobi right now as well.

Leaning towards the Corsair as it looks a lot classier and higher quality. I've had a LED-plastered Antec 900 for six years; it's time to grow up. :p

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Trying out my first foray into overclocking after giving up last time. This 4670k is a dud. Crashes at 4.1.

Ashhong

Why does my MSI R9 270 idle at high 30C temps? Most reviews have it at around mid 20s. It's even really cold in my room and my PC is next to my window with cold air coming straight into the PC. Do reviewers just have a different testing setup? Ok, maybe not all reviews, but some. The card stays around the same temps even though my room temp is about 6 celsius lower.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5969/msi-radeon-r9-270-2gb-gaming-oc-video-card-review/index21.html

Trying out my first foray into overclocking after giving up last time. This 4670k is a dud. Crashes at 4.1.

At what voltage? I don't think 4.1 crashing is normal at all, even for the worst batches that I have read online.

systematic

Unconfirmed Member

They're reselling MSDN keys. It's against the TOS but it's not something Microsoft actively enforces so the keys never get blacklisted unless too many people activate using the same one.

Ashhong

I'm using this guide http://www.overclockers.com/3step-guide-to-overclock-intel-haswell

Right now, I had to reset the BIOS. Now I put it at 38 with 1.250v. Let's see.

So according to that, you should have tried 46 multiplier with a 1.20v. Did you try that first?

Mine didn't boot IIRC, which means I have a below average chip. I then decided I wanted a 4.5ghz OC, so I set it to 45 and increased the voltage until I got a stable PC. Went up to 1.28v before it was stable I believe. You definitely should be able to hit 4.1

Have you looked at the Corsair 550d yet?

I'm trying to decide between it and the windowless Shinobi right now as well.

Leaning towards the Corsair as it looks a lot classier and higher quality. I've had a LED-plastered Antec 900 for six years; it's time to grow up. :p
Same, however I think the 350d or 450d look much better than the 550d imo.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So according to that, you should have tried 46 multiplier with a 1.20v. Did you try that first?

Mine didn't boot IIRC, which means I have a below average chip. I then decided I wanted a 4.5ghz OC, so I set it to 45 and increased the voltage until I got a stable PC. Went up to 1.28v before it was stable I believe. You definitely should be able to hit 4.1

Thanks. Your post gave me confidence to continue screwing around. I can boot at 1.25v and 4.1 but it eventually crashed when I ran a stress test. Now to learn more about how to tweak and optimize.

winstano

Just made the jump from a GTX650 to an MSI GTX780 twin frozr...

Ultra. Ultra everywhere.

Next step is to see if I can get away with putting it all in a small form factor case, possibly water cooled...

I bought an EVGA GTX 780 for 530$ (shipping made it more expensive but that is not an issue for US/Canadian customers). I went with the "FTW" edition. I originally picked the Classified GTX 780 and EVGA/Amazon increased the price from 530$ to 580$ right before I placed the order; I got really pissed and picked another one.

Alternatively, you can get a reference GTX 780 ti or an aftermarket one for 720$-800$.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Thinking of upgrading my PC sometime to be ready for more recent games soon and was wondering if most of this could be reused so I can save some money! Not looking to max everything out but some higher settings would be cool.

Current Specs: Intel Core i3-2100 / G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 / ASUS P8P67 (REV 3.1) LGA 1155 Intel P67 / MSI N460GTX Hawk GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-Bit GDDR/ Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W /
NZXT Source 210 Elite/ WD 1.5 TB HDD Black

Budget: $300-400 willing to go slightly higher United States
Main Use:
Light Gaming - 3
Gaming - 5
Emulation (PS2/Wii) - 2
Video Editing - 1
Streaming games in HD - 4
3D/Model work (and what program) - 0 (N/A)
General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) - 2

Monitor Resolution: 1080p and probably won't go higher. Newer monitor I'm looking at is 1080p too. Consoles being hooked up to monitor as well factors into this.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I don't really have any specific game I'm using as a basis here I'll just say Watch_Dogs, but 60 FPS, and SuperSampling / CUDA is cool if I can get it but it's not a deal breaker.

Looking to reuse any parts?: ASUS P8P67, G.SKILL Sniper 8GB , 1.5 TB WD HDD Black, NZXT Source 210 Elite

When will you build?: No deadline I'll probably do it anytime from this to next month.

Will you be overclocking?: Unfamiliar with it so probably no.

I'd try putting this together myself but I've had along month and my brain is poo atm.

LilJoka

Just made the jump from a GTX650 to an MSI GTX780 twin frozr...

Ultra. Ultra everywhere.

Next step is to see if I can get away with putting it all in a small form factor case, possibly water cooled...

Got mine in an ITX rig, but for WCing mATX will work.

riflen

Does anyone know around when video cards started to have options such as forcing vsync,AA,etc?

Presumably you're talking about 3D video graphics adapters. V-sync and anti-aliasing were implemented from the beginning with 3Dfx's Voodoo Graphics supporting edge anti-aliasing for OpenGL in 1996. It produced rather poor results though.

I think it wasn't really until around 1998 that anti-aliasing was supported by the DirectX hardware, like Nvidia's Riva TNT. Later, in 1999 the Geforce 256 DDR supported ordered grid super-sampling anti-aliasing. In 2000 3Dfx's Voodoo 4/5 were capable of rotated grid super-sampling anti-aliasing.

Thinking of upgrading my PC sometime to be ready for more recent games soon and was wondering if most of this could be reused so I can save some money! Not looking to max everything out but some higher settings would be cool.

Current Specs: Intel Core i3-2100 / G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 / ASUS P8P67 (REV 3.1) LGA 1155 Intel P67 / MSI N460GTX Hawk GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-Bit GDDR/ Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W /
NZXT Source 210 Elite/ WD 1.5 TB HDD Black

Budget: $300-400 willing to go slightly higher United States
Main Use:
Light Gaming - 3
Gaming - 5
Emulation (PS2/Wii) - 2
Video Editing - 1
Streaming games in HD - 4
3D/Model work (and what program) - 0 (N/A)
General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) - 2

Monitor Resolution: 1080p and probably won't go higher. Newer monitor I'm looking at is 1080p too. Consoles being hooked up to monitor as well factors into this.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I don't really have any specific game I'm using as a basis here I'll just say Watch_Dogs, but 60 FPS, and SuperSampling / CUDA is cool if I can get it but it's not a deal breaker.

Looking to reuse any parts?: ASUS P8P67, G.SKILL Sniper 8GB , 1.5 TB WD HDD Black, NZXT Source 210 Elite

When will you build?: No deadline I'll probably do it anytime from this to next month.

Will you be overclocking?: Unfamiliar with it so probably no.

I'd try putting this together myself but I've had along month and my brain is poo atm.

Just get some Ivy Bridge i5 cpu and gtx 760 and you should be fine. PSU might need change after that.

Altrough just to be clear 60 fps + supersampling and/or cuda at 1080p with 400$ is impossible for 2014 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom