• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also purchased from s5ean via r/software swap using PayPal. The dude was very fast, transaction was easy. I think the entire thing took 10 minutes. I bought Windows 7 Pro and Office Pro. I would definitely do that again

He provided links to the 64 bit .iso as well, if I'm remembering correctly. I didn't have 64 bit computer access either, so that was good.

Yeah, I'm tempted to grab an Office for me and an Office Mac key for my wife...

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Vouching for s5ean on r/softwareswap as well.

Bought an 8.1 pro key from him for $10 not too long ago.

LilJoka

I'm planning on building a new PC, I have a 700$ PC budget i already have this graphics card:

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/5000/5870#

Would you upgrade it?

Still a decent GPU, not necessary to upgrade it. I want to replace my 5870 purely because its really loud, may pickup something cheap of similar performance. So depends if you need more graphics horsepower or are you happy with your game performance?

I'm planning on building a new PC, I have a 700$ PC budget i already have this graphics card:

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/5000/5870#

Would you upgrade it?

It's still enough for 1080p at mid settings in todays games.
So only if you want high - max settings

//
Still a decent GPU, not necessary to upgrade it. I want to replace my 5870 purely because its really loud, may pickup something cheap of similar performance. So depends if you need more graphics horsepower or are you happy with your game performance?
Loud? What model do you have? I'm still running a Vapor X (Rev 2 I believe) and it hardly ever goes above 40% fan speed, can't really hear it. My rear case fan is louder than my GPU.

DSN2K

upgraded my vrm cooling a bit with some nice Akasa 40MM fans, also added some mini heatsinks as well.

8wL.jpg
9wL.jpg

Am I an idiot or is my PSU struggling with my system?

Rig below:
4670k @ 4.4ghz 1.235v
2x4gb 1866 ram 1.5v
GTX 780ti stock everything
on a MSI Z87 G45 mobo
PSU is Rosewill Green 630w 80+ bronze

My overclock is stable on prime95 for at least 3 hours.

So here's the problem, pretty much on every cold boot the power is killed after about 10 minutes. No BSOD or any system messages, just a black screen and a reboot. At first, I thought it was my overclock settings so I've adjusted it to super high voltages with turning off all power saving features. I've adjusted a ton of different things, removed all overclocks, gone back to stock, gone back to stock and adjusted for no power saving, etc.

Now here's what's throwing me off. After it powers off, it restarts. It'll boot back into windows and at first I was afraid that it'd just keep turning off. But every single time it reboots from power loss, it runs perfectly. I keep all of my overclock settings and power features and the system runs flawlessly. It's almost like the PSU needs like 10 minutes to warm up then from there on it's all gravy.

From everything I've looked up, it points to PSU failure. I've already submitted it for RMA but I just want to make sure that I'm not missing something so when I put a new PSU in I don't make any of the same mistakes.

LilJoka

It's still enough for 1080p at mid settings in todays games.
So only if you want high - max settings

//

Loud? What model do you have? I'm still running a Vapor X (Rev 2 I believe) and it hardly ever goes above 40% fan speed, can't really hear it. My rear case fan is louder than my GPU.

Unfortunately i have reference version. Idles at 45c, load at 80c+. Fan sounds like a hair dryer at 32%. Like a jet at 40% lol.

Chozolore

Hi, I've had a google on this, no joy. Source games are crashing for me, they launch play for a minute or two and crash? Really annoying, where do I start? Other games are fine just played cry sis 2 for an hour. Any ideas what to do?

Cs:go, l4d2, tf2

Sad.

pixlexic

Banned
can some one recommend some good case fans?

I leave my pc on constant and if I have to reset or the power goes out the stock case fans sound really rough starting up

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The boards in the OP need to be updated to Z97 as soon as some more info comes out on them.
Same to double check new non-K CPUs and wait a few weeks for new CPU benches/prices.
And redo AMD pricing now that it's not crazy.

Guy, Question.

I am using Kraken x60 and the 2 140 mm fans that came are pretty loud. Can someone recommend ultra quiet fans even at high rpm rate ?

I am in Canada.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Is 2x1TB better than 1x2TB?? I would want to get less drives to minimize vibration and for ease of use..
Just seemed like he mentioned only probably needing 1TB.

Always have your important data backed up.
I don't do this I'm terrible
Guy, Question.

I am using Kraken x60 and the 2 140 mm fans that came are pretty loud. Can someone recommend ultra quiet fans even at high rpm rate ?

I am in Canada.
I just run my X60 on low speeds. Temp difference isn't that much. X60 rad is more dense than most, you want good static pressure over high RPM CFM.
Rosewill 140mm have good static pressure, the S-flow type ones.

Has anyone come across a smaller system that has a cool design like this; front 230mm, bottom 230mm, side panel 230mm. All intake. All with dust filters. And a single Exhaust(140mm).

If running at low RPM, wouldn't you still move an outragous amount of air? With that much cooling but from a giant ass 230mm you could really run your fans at very low speeds and still get excellent cooling pressure.

The problem is that I still see mostly cases with 120/140mm fans. And I don't get it. If you could go for a bigger fan, which moves more air why wouldn't you? The premium case fan manufacturers don't even seem like they make fans bigger than 140mm?

The problem is that I still see mostly cases with 120/140mm fans. And I don't get it. If you could go for a bigger fan, which moves more air why wouldn't you? The premium case fan manufacturers don't even seem like they make fans bigger than 140mm?
Bigger fans = bigger cases. A 200mm fan requires a huge ass surface to mount it on. 120-140mm fans allow for fairly compact designs with decent airflow.

Has anyone come across a smaller system that has a cool design like this; front 230mm, bottom 230mm, side panel 230mm. All intake. All with dust filters. And a single Exhaust(140mm).

If running at low RPM, wouldn't you still move an outragous amount of air? With that much cooling but from a giant ass 230mm you could really run your fans at very low speeds and still get excellent cooling pressure.

You can get good airflow with 140mm fans running at low rpm

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Doesn't the bitfenix prodigy support a 230mm front fan? I think that's what I have in mine now (might be 200mm..)
That's fairly compact

Hey guys, is there any point buying a GTX 770 currently or do you expect the 780s to come down in price any time soon? Ideally id prefer a 780, but budget wise i can get a 770 for alot cheaper than a 780. Also worth mentioning my monitors max res is 1680x1050 (tho i do downsample at times too)

Hey guys, is there any point buying a GTX 770 currently or do you expect the 780s to come down in price any time soon? Ideally id prefer a 780, but budget wise i can get a 770 for alot cheaper than a 780. Also worth mentioning my monitors max res is 1680x1050 (tho i do downsample at times too)

Prices for the R9 290 have come back down to around MSRP.

Why do you need a 1000W PSU? Even a 750-850w one should be able to handle all that hardware plus a ton of HDDs.

The amount of cooling you need is partially dependent on the temperature of the room your PC is in. If it gets super hot in your room during the day and you use your PC during those times, I'd recommend getting more fans to circulate the air and keep the temperatures from getting too hot.

you can do better than that PSU for one. I'll get back to you in the morning. All have to come from Scan?

UK retailer, Cheapest prices, Parts separate (since I'm paying over 2 month)

Why do you need a 1000W PSU? Even a 750-850w one should be able to handle all that hardware plus a ton of HDDs.

The amount of cooling you need is partially dependent on the temperature of the room your PC is in. If it gets super hot in your room during the day and you use your PC during those times, I'd recommend getting more fans to circulate the air and keep the temperatures from getting too hot.

I have no idea what PSU i'd need. Just figured 1000w would do it and if it's overkill then I can throw in another 780 ti later or something.

kiyomi

Looking at buying this. I already have HDD's

Any issues you guys can see?
Will I need better/more cooling?
You don't need 1000W unless you're going SLI and even then you'd probably be okay with a good 850W.

You can go down to 4670K if this is purely for gaming.

Your Current Specs: None
Budget: £1300 (wiggle room to about £1400 if I get much more) (over 2 month) UK
Main Use: Gaming + Emulation + XBMC. I want to get games looking really nice
Monitor Resolution: 1080p Sony Bravia + Comfy Couch don't intend on more
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Best experience I can have for £1300 playing Emulated titles and some newer titles at 1080p 60fps on the best settings I can
Looking to reuse any parts?: 4TB of existing HDD split across 3 Drives
When will you build?: End of June.
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe

Parts must come separately, Only way I can swing it with the missus is buy half this month half next.

TheMink

What kind of cooling should i go for, pros/cons of liquid cooling vs standard. I am considering the NZXT H630 as my chassis if it matters.

I literally have no idea.

kennah

What kind of cooling should i go for, pros/cons of liquid cooling vs standard. I am considering the NZXT H630 as my chassis if it matters.

If it's between an All in One Water Cooler versus an Air Cooler - it really doesn't matter. The AIO would be slightly more expensive, and take up 'less' room.

If you're talking about a full custom loop, that's a whole different ball game.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

If you have to ask, go air. Unless you like how an AIO water looks and can spend the money.

Might matter more on the new Intel K chips IF the IHS thermal wall is not the same as this gen.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Air it is then, ive herd that one big fan is better than a few small ones for noise, true?
Whatever case you buy that comes with 2 fans will be adequate. 1 fan on an air cooler is fine. Some people prefer two slower fans. Everything now is honestly so quiet unless you have an R9 290 it's a nonissue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom