• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Am I right in thinking that stock cooler is fine for i5 haswell if I've no intention of OCing? This would be for a SFF case, so need to keep the heat down.
It's a little noisy, but totally fine. What case? Heat is likely not going to be an issue with the TDP of stuff these days.

NoRéN

780 Ti or 290X prolly. What res?
1080. I know, I know. So last gen. A good monitor is probably the next thing I should buy as well. I'm guessing 120Hz or 1440p should both be great improvements, right?

I don't know any unreliable GPUs. If it's faulty, get it replaced. What's your budget?
What meant by that is my focus is a good product at a good price and not "Nvidia only" or "amd only"
I believe the 770 is a rebranded 680, so anything higher (780, 780Ti, etc) would be a step up. I think you are better off waiting for the next-gen though.

A 780 will give you (roughly) a 30% boost in real-world, average fps; the Ti is closer to 50%.

Most modern games have better SLI scaling than that so you're probably better off tracking down another 680 if your system can handle it.

Honestly, just tough it out until Maxwell.

I'm more than happy to wait for Maxwell. The 680 has been more than adequate and it would be nice to have the latest and greatest for once.

I guess something about not actively tinkering at the moment feels weird. I blame this thread.

dwells

Notice I said natively : P

*edit*

Wait wait, HDMI spec 1.3 does not support 120hz/1080p. You sure about this on the Vizio?

1080p120 has been officially supported since HDMI 1.4b in 2011. The Vizio P (and other modern 4K displays) have HDMI 2.0, which officially supports 1080p120 and 2160p60, and theoretically 1080p240.

mkenyon

Banned
1080p120 has been officially supported since HDMI 1.4b in 2011. The Vizio P (and other modern 4K displays) have HDMI 2.0, which officially supports 1080p120 and 2160p60, and theoretically 1080p240.
And none of the HDMI outs on video cards are beyond 1.3, TMK.

Okay, guys.

I decided that I am going to wait until those new CPUs drop before building. I think mid-June would probably be a good time to start.

My final build:

Motherboard: Asus Z97-A LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Atx Intel
CPU: I5-3570 (depending on price drops after new CPUs)
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Video Card: GTX 750 Ti
Harddrive: Seagate 2 TB
Power Supply: Rosewell Hive Series
Disk Drive: Lite-On Black 18x

Microsoft Windows 7

what else do you guys recommend?
CPU cooler?
cheap and sleek case?

dwells

And none of the HDMI outs on video cards are beyond 1.3, TMK.

Video cards packing HDMI 1.4 have been around for a while now, as have DisplayPort to HDMI 1.4 adapters. Additionally, if you're forcing things at the driver level and have a good cable, you can get away with 1080p120 even on some cards with HDMI 1.3 ports.

ukas

Anyone?

I recently purchased a 780Ti but, the rest of my system hasn't been upgraded. My current setup is from around 2009/2010. What I'm wondering is how much of an impact will the older hardware have when it comes to gaming with the 780Ti. It's not a big deal if I need to build a new system, I had kind of planned on it anyway. Below are my specs with a 3DMark Fire Strike Extreme of 4750.

LHMmzfQ.png

mkenyon

Banned
Video cards packing HDMI 1.4 have been around for a while now, as have DisplayPort to HDMI 1.4 adapters. Additionally, if you're forcing things at the driver level and have a good cable, you can get away with 1080p120 even on some cards with HDMI 1.3 ports.
You've made my day. Thank you for this very great information.

Serandur

Okay, guys.

I decided that I am going to wait until those new CPUs drop before building. I think mid-June would probably be a good time to start.

My final build:

Motherboard: Asus Z97-A LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Atx Intel
CPU: I5-3570 (depending on price drops after new CPUs)
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Video Card: GTX 750 Ti
Harddrive: Seagate 2 TB
Power Supply: Rosewell Hive Series
Disk Drive: Lite-On Black 18x

Microsoft Windows 7

what else do you guys recommend?
CPU cooler?
cheap and sleek case?

Big warning: Z97 motherboards are not compatible with i5-3570s. If you want to stick with the motherboard, you would have to go for a 4000 series CPU instead and the Z97 specifically is for overclocking, so it's not necessary unless you get a K-series 4000 series particularly. For example, the i5-4670K (or rather the 4690K when the new parts release) would be more what that motherboard's intended for. I do recommend going for a K-series chip, overclocking is cheap extra performance, even if you don't think you'll want to do it right now.

The Evo 212 is a nice and cheap cooler if you're not planning to do any heavy OCs and a case is more personal, not sure what to recommend there.

mkenyon

Banned
What do you guys think? I am about to bite on this 280x. I can definately handle $234.. Don't want to spend a ton of money, I just am feeling the need of an upgrade from my HD6850.
Since it's a non-reference card, and there's only one from the seller, I wouldn't worry too much about mining usage. I'd feel more comfortable buying from a known source like on GAF or Overclock.net, but worse comes to worse, you can get Amazon to fix things, or have MSI fix it.

Big warning: Z97 motherboards are not compatible with i5-3570s. If you want to stick with the motherboard, you would have to go for a 4000 series CPU instead and the Z97 specifically is for overclocking, so it's not necessary unless you get a K-series 4000 series particularly. For example, the i5-4670K (or rather the 4690K when the new parts release) would be more what that motherboard's intended for. I do recommend going for a K-series chip, overclocking is cheap extra performance, even if you don't think you'll want to do it right now.

The Evo 212 is a nice and cheap cooler if you're not planning to do any heavy OCs and a case is more personal, not sure what to recommend there.

thanks for the heads up! So I'll look at the 4000 series CPUs instead. I might as well put forth the extra cash, just in case I want to overclock in the future.

mackattk

Since it's a non-reference card, and there's only one from the seller, I wouldn't worry too much about mining usage. I'd feel more comfortable buying from a known source like on GAF or Overclock.net, but worse comes to worse, you can get Amazon to fix things, or have MSI fix it.

There are actually quite a few of them that are being sold by Amazon Warehouse Deals.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FR6XPL8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Anyway to check if they have been used for mining?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Any suggestions for my sister for a laptop? She is looking for a 10-13 inch screen, she wants to take it to court to do basic research and document work. Light, fit in a briefcase type thing, nothing fancy. $500 or less.

She found these 4 online but I can't say I know much about tiny laptops.
HP Pavilion 11-h110nr 11.6-Inch Detachable 2 in 1 Touchscreen Laptop
Acer TravelMate B NX.V7QAA.016 11.6-Inch Laptop
Acer Aspire NX.M8AAA.004;V5-131-... 11.6-Inch Laptop
Acer TravelMate NX.V7PAA.020;TMB113-... 11.6-Inch Laptop

mkenyon

Banned
Guess I will hold off. I didn't even think about the flooded market with used video cards since mining isn't as profitable anymore.
Yup, you can find R9-290s for as cheap as $250 right now.

Even if it were a miner, I wouldn't sweat it too much. I mean, the cards are built for that kind of usage. If there's something funky, then the AIB (MSI in the case of your link) would replace it.

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
i need help guys, is there any gaming pc's that are already custom built the price range is $700 to $800. putting it together isn't for me :/

mkenyon

Banned
i need help guys, is there any gaming pc's that are already custom built the price range is $700 to $800. putting it together isn't for me :/
Where do you live? Might be a GAFer near by that could help out.

Pretty much though, for that price range, you are going to have a hard time finding a decent spec'd system. There's some alright options in the $1000-1200 range, but anything under that, and they just stick stuff in there that doesn't make any sense. You'll end up with a crappy proc, or too much memory, or a crappy video card.

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
Where do you live? Might be a GAFer near by that could help out.

Pretty much though, for that price range, you are going to have a hard time finding a decent spec'd system. There's some alright options in the $1000-1200 range, but anything under that, and they just stick stuff in there that doesn't make any sense. You'll end up with a crappy proc, or too much memory, or a crappy video card.

i live in Texas, the only thing i got together is this :/ http://www.amazon.com/gp/cart/view.html/ref=lh_cart_vc_btn

theytookourjobz

You'll get so much more bang for your buck building yourself and I'm being 100% honest when I say that putting together a computer is easier than any piece of IKEA furniture I've ever assembled.

TheMink

Any Wireless/Bluetooth tips? I've herd that a potential add on could be crunched for space because of how thick the GPU is.

Is there a motherboard that comes stock equipped?

Edit:

Was looking at this guy:

MSI 970A-G43 AM3+ AMD 970 + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

mkenyon

Banned
Any Wireless/Bluetooth tips? I've herd that a potential add on could be crunched for space because of how thick the GPU is.

Is there a motherboard that comes stock equipped?

Edit:

Was looking at this guy:

MSI 970A-G43 AM3+ AMD 970 + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Yeah, lots of motherboards have them already, but there's always space to add your own expansion card.

What's the total budget that you're looking at? I'd really suggest avoiding the AMD side of things for a gaming PC. They make great HTPCs and budget multimedia creation/workstations though.

Jesb

Just keep a copy of the ISO you downloaded or just keep the stick you used.

I just upgraded from the Microsoft site for windows 8.1. I already had windows 7 and upgraded from there. I didn't download an ISO or anything, just followed the prompts on the Microsoft site.

mkenyon

Banned
I just upgraded from the Microsoft site for windows 8.1. I already had windows 7 and upgraded from there. I didn't download an ISO or anything, just followed the prompts on the Microsoft site.
The prompts download an ISO to your computer which it then uses to install.

Aurarian

You could keep your RAM too. What about your HDD?

Programming wise, is the software you use RAM intensive?

Could start here for instance http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3OQ35 Room in your budget too if you would prefer a modular PSU.

Well, right now, i'm learning Java for school. Not sure what other languages I may learn as I get further in the program. My HDD is a 500GB 7200 RPM WD. I was looking to get more storage though. Thanks for the help!

EDIT:
Is there a huge difference between the R9 280 and the X type? By the way, I would definitely not mind getting a beefier GPU to give it a bit more life.

Dunbar

So I think I've decided on the 4790 chip with an H97 motherboard, but I haven't picked out the final parts yet. However, if I order a 780 soon, I can get a free copy of Watch Dogs. And getting a $50 game free when ordering $1500 in PC parts is pretty important to me. But, searching GTX 780 on Amazon gives you about 6 cards to choose from. Is one model much better than the others? I was looking at the Superclocked and Classified, specifically. They're about the same price and seem comparable feature wise.

Lagaff

Gub'mint Researcher
So I think I've decided on the 4790 chip with an H97 motherboard, but I haven't picked out the final parts yet. However, if I order a 780 soon, I can get a free copy of Watch Dogs. And getting a $50 game free when ordering $1500 in PC parts is pretty important to me. But, searching GTX 780 on Amazon gives you about 6 cards to choose from. Is one model much better than the others? I was looking at the Superclocked and Classified, specifically. They're about the same price and seem comparable feature wise.

Classified is better build, and oc better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom