• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Browny

Banned
Huge difference between the 750 and 760. You should be looking at the 750 TI as a minimum. If money is an issue, buy used.

Also make sure that your power supply can support whatever GPU you're upgrading to.

Thanks! Looking at what's available, assuming I jump on a 770, do I go MSI or Zotac? Are they inferior to EVGA or Gigabyte in any way?

And I'm assuming that once I crack open the case, the power rating of the power supply should be easy enough to spot...

(This is what happens when I buy off-the-shelf... the deal was too good to turn down though.)

Alright, so I might as well wait, so, if I were to get the Devils Canyon 4790k, what other parts would you recommend in the current enthuthiast build that I could probably upgrade? Remember, I am spending 2000 dollars on this new computer, I am making it a beast.

kennah

Alright, so I might as well wait, so, if I were to get the Devils Canyon 4790k, what other parts would you recommend in the current enthuthiast build that I could probably upgrade? Remember, I am spending 2000 dollars on this new computer, I am making it a beast.

Don't waste your money. Buy something mid range for 1100 or so and upgrade again in two years with the other 900. You'll have a better machine in the end.

kharma45

Thanks! Looking at what's available, assuming I jump on a 770, do I go MSI or Zotac? Are they inferior to EVGA or Gigabyte in any way?

And I'm assuming that once I crack open the case, the power rating of the power supply should be easy enough to spot...

(This is what happens when I buy off-the-shelf... the deal was too good to turn down though.)

MSI's stuff is great. Zotac is... OK. Gigabyte has the best warranty in the UK iirc. Find out your PSU, give me a definite budget and I'll do some looking for you.

As Kennah said, 750 Ti minimum on the Nvidia side of things.

Browny

Banned
MSI's stuff is great. Zotac is... OK. Gigabyte has the best warranty in the UK iirc. Find out your PSU, give me a definite budget and I'll do some looking for you.

As Kennah said, 750 Ti minimum on the Nvidia side of things.

*tips hat*

I can stretch to the £230 I've found at dabs / Scan / Box for the MSI 770 - at the end of the month. I don't want to push things too much so early on in June!!!

Smokey

I like your vision.

Does the 2000 include a monitor? Are you wanting to go SLI/Crossfire with the GPUs? How long do you plan to have this machine?

2Gs isn't needed at all for a high end machine to be honest, and most will tell you that here.

But if you just want to go nuts just because that's what you want to do, I understand.

kharma45

*tips hat*

I can stretch to the £230 I've found at dabs / Scan / Box for the MSI 770 - at the end of the month. I don't want to push things too much so early on in June!!!

Figure out your powersupply first.

Yep, then we can get cracking.

What about an AMD card? You'll get more bang for your buck with them but if you prefer the Nvidia ecosystem (Shadow Play etc.) and want to go with them that's fine.

I like your vision.

Does the 2000 include a monitor? Are you wanting to go SLI/Crossfire with the GPUs? How long do you plan to have this machine?

2Gs isn't needed at all for a high end machine to be honest, and most will tell you that here.

But if you just want to go nuts just because that's what you want to do, I understand.

How long do I want it? Around 5 to 6 years. Maybe 2000 dollars is a bit too crazy, maybe 1500 or 1700 will be better.

kennah

What about an AMD card? You'll get more bang for your buck with them but if you prefer the Nvidia ecosystem (Shadow Play etc.) and want to go with them that's fine.

KHARMA I AM TIRED OF YOUR PRO AMD AGENDA.

Ok, I'm really not. ;)

appaws

Banned
We don't know the future.

Watercooling is a pretty expensive hobby :)

how expensive ? my friend is giving me a waterblock for r9 290s.....

Pump 50-100
Rads 50-200
Cpu block 50-100
Res 20-100
Tubing 15-50
Fittings 50-200

It adds up and fast. Minimum 400 and up for a basic loop. Mkenyon is the resident expert.

It's not too bad to get started. Obviously it builds over time. I started with an XSPC kit for $250 bucks that came with really high-end stuff. Their Raystorm waterblock, an AX 240 Rad, and the D5 pump/Photon 170 combo.

I added an EK waterblock and backplate to my 7950 that I got off ebay for $56 bucks and another rad.

If I was picking my parts again knowing what I now know I would probably pick the EK Supremacy CPU block...because I hate the way the Raystorm attaches to the backplate. YMMV.

Anyway, my advice is RESEARCH! Study on the WC threads on overclock.net. There are a lot of good videos on youtube. If you wanna see some really awesome high-end shit, watch "ronsanut" on youtube.

It's worth it...it's fun and your machine will be oh so pretty@!

Might build a new rig earlier than expected, as my dad needs a knew PC and I might just give him mine for a few bucks and do a new build.

So about those Intel CPUs..
Refresh are only non K CPUs, and Devils Canyon are only K CPUs, but both with improved TIM/whatever so that they run cooler, did I get this right?

Yep.

Edit: Looks like Devil's Canyon is coming late June/early July which goes in line with OCN speculation.

[snip]

fuck yes my best-case delay scenario actually happened

now I get two months of everyone else testing out how the 4790K overclocks before I drop all this money on a new build featuring one

SLV

My CPU died, I5 2500k, and while diagnosing what is dead exactly, the CPU burnt out two other motherboards. Literally, within seconds, both other motherboards were dead. Anyway, when does the new stuff drop, as I am without a PC at the moment :(

My CPU died, I5 2500k, and while diagnosing what is dead exactly, the CPU burnt out two other motherboards. Literally, within seconds, both other motherboards were dead. Anyway, when does the new stuff drop, as I am without a PC at the moment :(

Sorry to hear!
Did you set the voltages too high when OCing? Did you just run it OCed for years? What happened to that poor thingy?

Late June, early July

SLV

Sorry to hear!
Did you set the voltages too high when OCing? Did you just run it OCed for years? What happened to that poor thingy?

Late June, early July

It was at 4.4 for 3 years, one evening I shut it off just fine, then the next day it simply would not start, burnt two motherboards until it became clear CPU is dead, I am not sure I can go without a PC till July, as these things usually hit eastern Europe pretty late, but I would like to, it was my plan to upgrade to DC, but my CPU couldn't wait. I blame watch dogs....

Yep.

Edit: Looks like Devil's Canyon is coming late June/early July which goes in line with OCN speculation.

ijQESK1qVS75z.jpeg

i2RMqNcA4bF9N.jpg

Running off a Z87 board as we already knew it could. 4.4GHz @ 1.280V.

You can't OC it though right? With a z87

Alright, filling this out for a friend of mine in San Antonio doing her first build (because the alternative is directing her to r/buildaPC and that's no good).

Budget/Country: US, and let's say up to $1400.
Main Use, Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: HD Streaming/Gaming - 5
Monitor Resolution: 1080p, not upgrading, not buying a new monitor
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Diablo 3/MMOs (max + steady 60fps) + Battlefield 4 (as close to max as possible @ 60fps)
Looking to reuse any parts?: None whatsoever.
When will you build?: Within 3 months.
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe

She's not intending on doing SLI/CrossFire.

mkenyon

Banned
Looking to get a R9 270x, is there any difference in power draw between 2gb and 4gb cards?
Nope.
Alright, filling this out for a friend of mine in San Antonio doing her first build (because the alternative is directing her to r/buildaPC and that's no good).

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Diablo 3/MMOs (max + steady 60fps) + Battlefield 4 (as close to max as possible @ 60fps)

Probably just come back when she's ready to build. There's some motherboard processor stuff that isn't clear and will be sorted out over the next 4 weeks.

Kite

Ok PC gaf, I need some advice on the best way to upgrade my pc for gaming so it can play the newest mmos like Guild Wars 2 and Wildstar at high settings and the newest games at medium/high-ish. Below I have copied what I believe are the most relevant info but everything can be found here. I'm assuming that the best bang for my buck would be a new video card? Thanks!

Processor Specifications
Intel
Processor Class Core i7
Processor Number 2600
Processor Speed 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost)

Memory Module Specifications
Total Memory Size 8GB
Memory Type DDR3
Memory Speed MHz 1333MHz
Memory Configuration 8GB

Graphics Specifications
GPU/VPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Video Memory 1GB dedicated

Probably just come back when she's ready to build. There's some motherboard processor stuff that isn't clear and will be sorted out over the next 4 weeks.

You mean the stuff with Devil's Canyon and unclear-as-hell 8-series chipset support, or am I thinking of something else entirely?

mkenyon

Banned
Ok PC gaf, I need some advice on the best way to upgrade my pc for gaming so it can play the newest mmos like Guild Wars 2 and Wildstar at high settings and the newest games at medium/high-ish. Below I have copied what I believe are the most relevant info but everything can be found here. I'm assuming that the best bang for my buck would be a new video card? Thanks!

Processor Specifications
Intel
Processor Class Core i7
Processor Number 2600
Processor Speed 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost)

Memory Module Specifications
Total Memory Size 8GB
Memory Type DDR3
Memory Speed MHz 1333MHz
Memory Configuration 8GB

Graphics Specifications
GPU/VPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Video Memory 1GB dedicated
Yeah, new video card would help quite a bit. However, MMOs really love high clock speed when it comes to putting out consistent frames. So you're still going to have some decent slowdowns as you can't overclock your processor.

If possible, get a picture of your PSU sticker specs. Often those prebuilts ship with kind of iffy PSUs that won't work well with more power hungry GPU options.

DTKT

Any good media server guides? I'm looking into building a storage server with Freenas. It's probably also going to server as storage for my ESXI server once it's up.

mkenyon

Banned
It's nearly perfect in terms of design and layout. It does feel pretty cheap, but that also makes it really light. If there was a full aluminum version of it, I'd die happy.
You mean the stuff with Devil's Canyon and unclear-as-hell 8-series chipset support, or am I thinking of something else entirely?
Yup.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Probably the Enthusiast build (290's are cheaper than list price often by $50-$70) can bump the case / PSU down and you'll fit in budget with a 4790K.

Either way check back in a month or two after mobo stuff and DC gets sorted.

Zaru

So most of my build's parts already arrived, missing PSU and SSD.

In the meantime, a question:

So this is the current state of the build. Which position for the front fan do you guys think is superior? The Fractal Define R4 case initially puts the front fan at the bottom, but I switched it to the center. It looks like it would blow cold air both towards the bottom (intake) of the graphics card and the CPU fan that way, while the standard bottom position would blow most of it towards the PSU (pointless) and below the graphics card, which is a bit of a barrier. But maybe I just don't understand why they put it that way?

xHDGR02.jpg

Kite

Yeah, new video card would help quite a bit. However, MMOs really love high clock speed when it comes to putting out consistent frames. So you're still going to have some decent slowdowns as you can't overclock your processor.

If possible, get a picture of your PSU sticker specs. Often those prebuilts ship with kind of iffy PSUs that won't work well with more power hungry GPU options.
Is this what you were asking for?
http://imgur.com/nTFbaVy

Smokey

How long do I want it? Around 5 to 6 years. Maybe 2000 dollars is a bit too crazy, maybe 1500 or 1700 will be better.

I'm that case I would suggest the following:

Get the best CPU you can
Get the best motherboard you can
Get the best Power Supply you can

These will be your foundation and so if you're wanting it to stay in shape for that amount of time, I would not skimp in these areas.

GPUs you can change those throughout. Depending on what you want to do now, I'd get something to hold you over until the 800 series from Nvidia. Or if you don't mind AMD , the 290 would be a good choice at this moment.
The enthusiast build with the updated z97 and DC CPUs would be a really good foundation for you.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Awkward as fuck, nevermind then. We'll dead is dead.
I'd wager it's probably not dead.

There's something covering one of your CPU pins in the photo.

Make sure there is nothing in the socket or on the CPU and that there are no bent pins and they are making contact.

Browny

Banned

Just opened it up... oh dear. 250w...

*slinks off in shame*

I'll be dropping in an upgrade here then... 650w?

As for AMD, not really considered one. My previous built PC ran an Nvidia, and this one has been ok (until WD) - figured I should stick with the make?

RoyalFool

Banned
Any recommendations on pre-built systems for under (or bang on) the £1000 mark?

Read the latest OP and whilst tempted to build one myself, have a lot of stress in my life at the moment and would rather just fork over some extra for a pre-built one with a single warranty. The two pre-built sites recommended have way too many models/prices and I'm pretty out of the loop on what's good and what isn't having used the same old iMac for the last 5 years, haven't even heard of some of the PSU manufacturers o_O

Was tempted by the X51, but knowing they often have 10/15% discount coupons about has put me off paying full price for now (especially since the R3 must be due soonish). Looking to move from the Mac as I have a bazillion PC games in my steam library I keep buying during the sales that I've never played. Cheers!

SLV

I'd wager it's probably not dead.

There's something covering one of your CPU pins in the photo.

Make sure there is nothing in the socket or on the CPU and that there are no bent pins and they are making contact.

Unfortunately it is, 2 other motherboards were killed instantly when they were powered on with the CPU in. That thing covering the pin is a drop of dried paste residue, the CPU was clean when it died and was tried out in other motherboards.

kharma45

Just opened it up... oh dear. 250w...

*slinks off in shame*

I'll be dropping in an upgrade here then... 650w?

As for AMD, not really considered one. My previous built PC ran an Nvidia, and this one has been ok (until WD) - figured I should stick with the make?

550w and you'd be fine.

If you want to go Nvidia that's fine. The 770 at ~£220 isn't a bad deal at all.

What is the rest of your PC spec wise?

Browny

Banned
550w and you'd be fine.

If you want to go Nvidia that's fine. The 770 at ~£220 isn't a bad deal at all.

What is the rest of your PC spec wise?

i7-3770 @ 3.4
12 GB
Win7

That pretty much covers it. Running an AOC 23" IPS @ 1920 x 1080, 60Ghz. Got an old ViewSonic 19" to one side - not for gaming, just for secondary internet browsing.

Not looking for overclocking or anything like that - I'll be looking to buy a specc'd machine in 2-3 years' time, once funds allow.

Thanks for all help so far!

Nebula

For people who returned parts, how long would you say is OK to wait for them to sort out the return? I've been going back and forth with dabs for around a week.

Aurarian

Yep.

Running off a Z87 board as we already knew it could. 4.4GHz @ 1.280V.

I'm guessing they're going to give a concrete date after this convention correct? I've had to hold off on my build till the end of this month. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom