• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

For people who returned parts, how long would you say is OK to wait for them to sort out the return? I've been going back and forth with dabs for around a week.

Dabs were quick for my brother and a fella I know. A few days to get it all sorted.

i7-3770 @ 3.4
12 GB
Win7

That pretty much covers it. Running an AOC 23" IPS @ 1920 x 1080, 60Ghz. Got an old ViewSonic 19" to one side - not for gaming, just for secondary internet browsing.

Not looking for overclocking or anything like that - I'll be looking to buy a specc'd machine in 2-3 years' time, once funds allow.

Thanks for all help so far!

So your original ~£230, that will have to include a PSU now then won't it?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (£176.11 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£36.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £213.10
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-02 20:15 BST+0100)

or

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card (£181.97 @ Dabs)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£36.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £218.96
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-02 20:16 BST+0100)

Those would be the two options to look at really.

Soi-Fong

I need a bit of advice from people here. I'm currently torn between the Asus R9 290X Direct Cu II or the EVGA Gtx 780 Ti. I'm having a hard time convincing myself to purchase the 780 Ti for 700 dollars. Right now, the R9 290X is cheaper in Newegg (589.99) which is very enticing. But I keep hearing as well that AMD isn't as good as Nvidia. I'm set to get the Oculus DK2 next month and I want to replace my aging HD 5970. Don't plan on upgrading my videocard again for at least 1.5 years.

What do you guys think? Go for the R9 290X or 780 Ti? Or if AMD is bad, just go with a 780?

kennah

I need a bit of advice from people here. I'm currently torn between the Asus R9 290X Direct Cu II or the EVGA Gtx 780 Ti. I'm having a hard time convincing myself to purchase the 780 Ti for 700 dollars. Right now, the R9 290X is cheaper in Newegg (589.99) which is very enticing. But I keep hearing as well that AMD isn't as good as Nvidia. I'm set to get the Oculus DK2 next month and I want to replace my aging HD 5970. Don't plan on upgrading my videocard again for at least 1.5 years.

What do you guys think? Go for the R9 290X or 780 Ti? Or if AMD is bad, just go with a 780?

Flip a coin. If the special features of the NVIDIA are more interesting to you, then get that. If you want something cheaper and slightly faster, get the AMD.

Sami+

An i3 and GTX 760 would definitely run Bioshock in the range you want, but I can't find any solid benchmarks on Dark Souls. It seems to be pretty undemanding (the recommended hardware is pretty dated) so I'd imagine Bioshock is more the target here. According to Techspot an FX-4100 paired with a GTX 680 (a bit more powerful than the GTX 760 but it's more a frame of reference) was able to max the game at 1920x1200 and manage about 58fps on average, so if you're shooting for 30fps with a slightly lower resolution and slightly weaker GPU it should be manageable, and if you go to the last page it actually states a GTX 670 (almost identical to the GTX 760) at 2560x1600 managed 41 fps on average, so you should be fine there.

I cannot speak for Dark Souls, but it doesn't appear to be hyper demanding. You should be fine for the games you want to play with just a GPU upgrade.

Awesome - thanks, dude. Just ordered the GTX 760, and I'll follow up with an i3 next week when I get paid. Thanks so much for your help. :)

As an aside, does the "Nvidia Gift" game come as a code I could sell if I don't want it? I'm not too interested in Watch_Dogs and from what I hear it'll run like crap on my rig anyway. :p

appaws

Banned

Sigh.

AMD is fine. More than fine actually. They are better than Nvidia right now in price/performance at pretty much every price range. I would go with that ASUS 290x...it will definetly blow your mind coming from the 5970.

If it's money you're looking to save, I'd be looking at the MSi 780ti for $629 at the Egg before dropping the Nvidia dream altogether.

Browny

Banned
So your original ~£230, that will have to include a PSU now then won't it?

Awesome price finding works

Those would be the two options to look at really.

I'll probably pass on this month and go for both next month (don't want to stretch the purse strings all at once) - so the budget would be £230 plus PSU... Which would put me at MSI GTX 770 plus PSU? :)

Is there going to be an Nvidia keynote at Computex? I get the feeling that I'm probably going to wind up buying a 760 before long, but it would be nice to know when I should pay attention to Computex news regarding GPUs.

So most of my build's parts already arrived, missing PSU and SSD.

In the meantime, a question:

So this is the current state of the build. Which position for the front fan do you guys think is superior? The Fractal Define R4 case initially puts the front fan at the bottom, but I switched it to the center. It looks like it would blow cold air both towards the bottom (intake) of the graphics card and the CPU fan that way, while the standard bottom position would blow most of it towards the PSU (pointless) and below the graphics card, which is a bit of a barrier. But maybe I just don't understand why they put it that way?

xHDGR02.jpg
Generally speaking, it's because of airflow. Just google airflow and PC case and you'll see why. I have the same case and that bottom cage is an absolute disaster for airflow with the low intake fan. I personally bought another fan though and now have two intake fans at the front.

For price/performance 290x all the way. Both cards beat the other in different tests but really it just matters what features you like.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Got my Haswell 4670k and my ASRock K1ller Fatality Z97 board installed over the weekend.

With Arctic Silver 5 and a Cooler Master EVO Hyper 212; temps are around 62c under load with AIDA64 @ 4.5 GHz and 1.22v.

Pretty damn happy with the performance boost over my FX 8120.
The fresh Windows 8.1 install was nice too. Things are smooth as ever!

So I'm finally gonna do it. I need to upgrade my 7 year old PC (could be even 8) that wasn't even good the year I got it. I'd say it's time for something better.
Can't even play games that are 5+ years old or even watch an HD video through my browser properly anymore. Been missing out on way too many good games.

I've had to hold off for a little while, but I managed to save up some cash to spend on a new pc, but I must admit, I am completely out of my element here. The vocabulary used in here is way out of my league.

Also, I live in mainland Europe. So I'm hoping someone from Holland/Belgium can help me out here as to where I could buy the parts, since I don't think the links to the stores are gonna be helpful? Unless they're way cheaper than if I'd get one from an online or local store here of course.

To answer some of further questions from the OP:
The budget I'm currently at is around €600, I could stretch it to €650 if there's a 'must get' part. This is without the need of an SSD, OS or new monitor. It'll mainly be used to play games and everyday use. Don't even know what "PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA" means, so I guess that'll answer that question.
With the budget I'm on, I obviously don't expect to be running games like BF4 on its ultrahighest insane settings with 63 other players on my screen exploding stuff and flying jets, but I hope to get some glimpses of what I've been missing out on.

Hopefully someone can help me out here and if you need any more info, feel free to ask. Thanks!

LordAlu

So I'm finally gonna do it. I need to upgrade my 7 year old PC (could be even 8) that wasn't even good the year I got it. I'd say it's time for something better.
Can't even play games that are 5+ years old or even watch an HD video through my browser properly anymore. Been missing out on way too many good games.

I've had to hold off for a little while, but I managed to save up some cash to spend on a new pc, but I must admit, I am completely out of my element here. The vocabulary used in here is way out of my league.

Also, I live in mainland Europe. So I'm hoping someone from Holland/Belgium can help me out here as to where I could buy the parts, since I don't think the links to the stores are gonna be helpful? Unless they're way cheaper than if I'd get one from an online or local store here of course.

To answer some of further questions from the OP:
The budget I'm currently at is around €600, I could stretch it to €650 if there's a 'must get' part. This is without the need of an SSD, OS or new monitor. It'll mainly be used to play games and everyday use. Don't even know what "PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA" means, so I guess that'll answer that question.
With the budget I'm on, I obviously don't expect to be running games like BF4 on its ultrahighest insane settings with 63 other players on my screen exploding stuff and flying jets, but I hope to get some glimpses of what I've been missing out on.

Hopefully someone can help me out here and if you need any more info, feel free to ask. Thanks!
Judging by prices in Belgium at places like Pixmania and BytesAtWork, you could manage an i3 system easily enough and maybe even an i5. Try looking to see what Belgium sites can do for you for this sort of build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor (€151.90 @ Caseking)
Motherboard: Asus B85M-G Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€67.49 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (€69.90 @ Caseking)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€50.39 @ Pixmania DE)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB TurboDuo Video Card (€172.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (€39.49 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€56.64 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €608.80
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-02 22:30 CEST+0200)

BytesAtWork, Codima and Forcom all seem relatively good, you should be able to get very close to the above within budget.

Nebula

Dabs were quick for my brother and a fella I know. A few days to get it all sorted.

Well the person assisting me dropped my case on someone else without actually giving any information to them and the person is chasing down the info. No response from them at all today though. Hopefully I hear something tomorrow.

Judging by prices in Belgium at places like Pixmania and BytesAtWork, you could manage an i3 system easily enough and maybe even an i5. Try looking to see what Belgium sites can do for you for this sort of build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor (€151.90 @ Caseking)
Motherboard: Asus B85M-G Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€67.49 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (€69.90 @ Caseking)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€50.39 @ Pixmania DE)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB TurboDuo Video Card (€172.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (€39.49 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€56.64 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €608.80
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-02 22:30 CEST+0200)

BytesAtWork, Codima and Forcom all seem relatively good, you should be able to get very close to the above within budget.

Wow, thanks for this! I'll check it all out.

Cn anyone recommend me some nice mice and keyboards that would be good for FPS shooters and MMO's? I looked on the first page and the selection but I want to ask the rest of you guys for your picks.

Zaph

Goddamn, these Crucial MX100's. Reviewing very well and a bloody insane price tag. Perfect gamer SSD's, 512GB for everyone.

ref

So I'm getting ready to build my first fully water cooled system (SLI Titan Blacks, 4770k), does anybody have experience with delidding that CPU and custom water cooling it? Is there anything I need to know?

Using an EK Supremacy block.

Mœbius

Right, it's that time again - new build sanity check.

Primary use(s): Serious gaming and fair amount of video composition (motion graphics, graphic design in After Effects, Cinema 4D, Illustrator etc.).

Build
Processor: i7 4770K, 1150, Haswell, Quad Core, 3.5GHz, 3.9GHz Turbo
Motherboard: MSI Z87M-G43 - micro ATX - LGA1150 Socket - Z87
Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600mhz
Graphics Card: 3GB Asus GTX 780 DirectCU II OC, 6008MHz GDDR5
Storage 1 (OS): 256GB SSD (looking for recommendations here; should I go 512GB?)
Storage 2: 1TB 7200rpm Hard Disk
Power Supply: 520W OR 750W Seasonic Evo Bronze?
Processor Cooler: Be Quiet Shadow Rock Slim cooler
Case: Aerocool Dead Silence black gaming cube case
OS: Not had any experience with Windows 8.1... any benefits to having this or should I stick with Windows 7?

Stubo

Cn anyone recommend me some nice mice and keyboards that would be good for FPS shooters and MMO's? I looked on the first page and the selection but I want to ask the rest of you guys for your picks.

Depending on how crazy you want to get with extra buttons, I know a few people who play mmos who swear by the Razer Naga.

Personally I use a G700 (now replaced by the Logitech G700S) which has served me very well (usually with the cable plugged in, I kinda wish it wasn't wireless!)

There are so many mice to choose from, try to go somewhere you can try them out to get a feel of how the grip fits in your hand. The feel of the mouse and the button placement compared to your fingers is really very important.

There will definitely be other favourites mentioned in this thread, see if you can try them! :)

As for keyboards, I don't use a gaming specific keyboard so I can't comment - should maybe look into that at some point.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

I like the Razer Naga Hex for MMO/FPS. Not too many buttons and really good feedback on the side buttons.

I also use the Razer BlackWidow Mechanical Keyboard. It has macro keys and the disable windows key. Can't really ask for more.

Goddamn, these Crucial MX100's. Reviewing very well and a bloody insane price tag. Perfect gamer SSD's, 512GB for everyone.

I have been very happy with my 240GB M500. The M100 looks to be even better!

mkenyon

Banned
I wouldn't suggest any of the multi-button mice for competitive FPS. They're great for MMOs though.

Most use meh sensors with terrible ergonomics for what you want to be doing in an FPS. Swapping between a grip that allows for whip to something that allows for recoil control isn't really possible on those.

If you're talking like Bioshock Infinite or something that is really anti-competitive, like BF4, then they're serviceable.

The only Razer products I fully endorse would be their keyboards, a few of their headphones/headsets (for a budget), and that's about it. I have been waffling on picking up an Orbweaver Stealth for the past year, that thing does looks really nice.

The options in the OP are still pretty much right on for what's new. Maybe that new Logitech Proteus, but I need to get my hands on one and check out nitty gritty specs. They haven't released any info on the sensor yet.
So I'm getting ready to build my first fully water cooled system (SLI Titan Blacks, 4770k), does anybody have experience with delidding that CPU and custom water cooling it? Is there anything I need to know?

I've delidded my 4770K, using an EK block. I'd really suggest getting the the "Naked" mounting kit. That way you don't even have to fret putting the heat spreader back on.

I'd also suggest picking up some non-conductive TIM that will prevent any shorting between the on-die VRM and the actual proc die. Noctua NT-H1 is what I used, with much success.

Also, do the hammer and vice method. Way less chance of something going wrong than the razor.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
What if I just wanted to play FPS's for fun though?
I am considering getting this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153087

That mouse works great.
I have been using mine for about a year for all types of gaming and haven't been disappointed.
I really like it for FPS games because 1-6 on your mouse takes care of most weapons switching needs (especially in games like BF4 where you can map rate of fire, and scope zoom to a couple of them)

I use the League of Legends one since it is matte and I don't care much for glossy.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BPT792C/?tag=neogaf0e-20 (this thing was $80 last August, not sure why the price went up so much)

Tablo

IKR! The freaking pricing is INSANE. SSDs for EVERYONEEEEE
220$ for 512GB?! Fuck yes. 110$ for 256GB? 256 is the new 128 :DDD
#SSDhypetrain

mkenyon

Banned

Josman

I recently got an 840 EVO 250GB for $149, and I'm so salty about the crucial MX100 :/ $110 for 250GB and $220 for 500 is a freaking steal

Tablo

If I had talent with editing images, I would draw SSD HYPE TRAIN, and replace the guy with an HDD. I'd like to be the engineer.
train.gif

omg yes someone do this O:
it should be in the OP

EDIT:
Damn just realized this is my one year anniversary of being a GAF member and not a lurker. :D

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
As a note the ASUS 290/290X uses the same heatsink from nVidia cards so it actually doesn't get all the heatpipes contact. Lol
I recently got an 840 EVO 250GB for $149, and I'm so salty about the crucial MX100 :/ $110 for 250GB and $220 for 500 is a freaking steal
Eh SSDs are fast. Any 250GB is fine. Pricing is good for not being on sale. My 250GB EVO was $130 I think

DAT NAND pricing tho.

3D will only make this better.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
That's like trusting someone is going to make a good car because they also make rockets. :p

But it's just a mouse. People complain about sensors, but honestly, my Logitech and Razer have felt just like the Microsoft mouse I use at work.

Adjustable DPI is the only noticeable difference.
I have also never used the software provided with a mouse since it all seems like bloatware to me. Just let the hardware do its work.

The biggest real-world impact to my mousing is if a piece of dog hair gets on my mouse pad.

dorkkaos

I currently have a 2500k. Would it still hold up well if i want to start gaming at 1440p?

My video card is currently 770 OC, but i'm planning on upgrading that for sure. I just wanted to know if the 2500k would be a bottleneck at all?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'll echo that mice is more a preference and comfort thing. A lot of mice are good and even if some have 5% accel on sensors you play with it for months to have it not really matter to almost everyone.
I currently have a 2500k. Would it still hold up well if i want to start gaming at 1440p?

My video card is currently 770 OC, but i'm planning on upgrading that for sure. I just wanted to know if the 2500k would be a bottleneck at all?
No bottleneck.
Its fine. At and above 1080 in almost every game is GPU limited.

appaws

Banned

For MMOs, I think the Corsair M95....the kid at Tech Report covered it in a video review lately....http://techreport.com/review/26483/video-review-corsair-raptor-m45-vengeance-m65-m95

Awesome. Take it slow. Measure twice, cut once. Watch videos, read guides.

maneil99

Just overclock it a bit and you'll be fine

Stubo

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

:p

But seriously it should be fine. If performance dips in the future when new, more demanding games are released you could upgrade then. For the moment the 2500k handles everything very well when paired with a powerful GPU.

Edit: Beaten, and yes definitely pick up a capable cooler and OC it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom