• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Alright. So I posted my specs in this thread before asking for advice but that was ages ago and the post is buried. I wasn't able to build at the time because I was in the process of buying a house, moving, and then my wife had a baby, so you could say I was distracted and my priorities were elsewhere.

Anyway...

My Current Specs:

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz
RAM - 2x2GB DDR2 800
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
GPU - Radeon HD 4870 512MB
PSU - Antec Earthwatts 380W PSU (Maybe 500?)
Case - Antec Performance One P180B Case
HDD - SanDisk Extreme 120GB SATA III SSD

Budget: ~$1000, US - An important note is that although I have about $1000+ to spend, doesn't mean I want to spend that "just because" if I can get a cheaper part that will perform the same or just slightly worse than something that's hundreds more, I'd rather do that.

Main Use: Mostly internet browsing, although I do go through gaming "binges" where I'll play quite a few games in a short amount of time. I also do emulation here and there, although it's usually classic arcades and consoles. I have a PS2, Wii, etc, hooked up to a dedicated tube TV.

Monitor Resolution: Largely at 1080P although I may upgrade to a higher res monitor in the future. Currently, I have no desire to.

Looking to reuse any parts?: Probably my SSD and secondary HDD that I have in the case. I also have a Creative Labs X-Fi in there that will be moved to the new case. I may buy a new PSU but not sure. It's >380W since I had to return it at some point under warranty and I was "gifted" a larger watt replacement. I just can't remember what the higher wattage is.

When will you build?: Soon. No deadline.
Will you be overclocking?: No, unless it's a stupid easy one like the Q6600 is. I will not be overclocking if it means hours upon hours of testing to squeak out a few Mhz.

Overclocking is easier now than it was with the Q6600.

Another option for you. Not quite as quick as the 760 but it is cheaper

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($228.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($71.10 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Club 3D Radeon R9 270 2GB '14Series Video Card ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $637.02
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-01 04:45 EDT-0400)

Gizuko

Guys, I have a little issue here...

A couple days ago my old monitor died on me, so I got a BenQ XL2411Z to try the 144Hz goodness, but as my old Phenom II 955 is bottlenecking my HD7950 in most cases, the rig struggles with 1080p more than it did with my old 1680x1050 (not that I didn't expect it), so there are few games I can get 60+ frames without lowering the IQ.

Thing is, I wanted to upgrade my cpu this december but couldn't, but with Intel's DC coming out either soon or in september, I'm considering getting them, but while I wait for those to come out, should I buy a second 7950/R9 280 and crossfire them? Should I expect a price drop towards the end of the summer? I don't know if I'm actually taking advantage of the monitor's qualities as it is, so I kind of feel bad about expending 300€ on it.

I honestly don't know how bottlenecking works, so I don't know if there will be little to no difference, or the bottleneck will just take away a % of the total achievable "processing power".

I have a 650w PSU (Corsair HX650), so I would be cutting it close, but it should work if I don't OC the cpu/gpu, right?

PS. Yeah, I should have gotten a decent CPU when I got my 7950, but I was still saving when my old HD4870 died.

Gizuko

I was planning to get the second card eventually, but if it won't do much for now, I'll wait for a deal then.

As for getting a new cpu for my mobo, I will give a thought, but the mobo is in bad shape, so I might actually get a z87/z97+i7 4770k if DC's delay is confirmed.

Thank you very much!

Your money would be better spent on whatever the maximum cpu for your motherboard. Crossfire wouldn't help you much.

You sure about that? Idk of any AM3+ CPUs that are better for gaming then the Phenom II 955 (let away the OC versions 965, 970, ..).

Sadly the Phenom II is still the best CPU for gaming on the AM3+ socket, and even FM2 socket CPUs aren't much better than the Phenom, if even that.

Furoba

I am looking at replacing my current Macbook Pro i7 '15 Mid 2010 with a mid size desktop build around 1000 USD in Japan (100-120K JPY). (not counting monitor or other peripherals )

No plans to overclock. Starting from scratch so no salvageable parts. First build.
Main Use: Light Gaming, Gaming, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback)
Monitor Resolution: Need to buy monitor, 1080p would be nice..Any decent offerings for 200-300 USD (20-30K JPY)?
I am mainly into RTS (4X, Total War; Civ, Starcraft 2, Paradox Grand Strategy,...), so I'd like to be able to run those at the highest setting. I do not really care for PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA. I do want to be able to run other games too; but I am willing to make some compromises in graphical fidelity.
I prefer the build to be quiet and not too power hungry, and plan (want) to build around August - September.

I toyed around with this build at PCPartsPicker:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($228.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($71.10 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($239.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($65.95 @ B&H)
Total: $974.94

I've only settled on the direction for the CPU, Case and Storage (Intel, SSD+HDD, Corsair Case).
Any parts that could be improved on? How do Gigabyte and G Skill Sniper compare to Corsair and Asus?

Many thanks in advance!

Anduril

I currently have 2x2gb DDR3 1600Mhz RAM and I seriously need an upgrade, cause the combination of Lightroom and Chrome just murders my Win 7 from time to time.

I'm thinking of adding another 8 gb, but there's always the talk of dual RAM sticks performing much better. So how much better? I'd rather just buy an 8 gb stick now and have the 2+2+8 for the time being, with someday adding another 8 gb stick and removing the 4 I have now.

I basically just need more RAM for Lightroom, not really concerned if I lose like 10% performance while gaming.

Also, any preferred brands/types? I have Kingston now.

Are the stock 780 coolers any good?

Getting a EVGA 780 nonTi Superclocked and I have an NZXT H440 which suffocates components with its less than ideal airflow.

Don't want to end up cooking it.

ShinLuigi

Banned
I currently have 2x2gb DDR3 1600Mhz RAM and I seriously need an upgrade, cause the combination of Lightroom and Chrome just murders my Win 7 from time to time.

I'm thinking of adding another 8 gb, but there's always the talk of dual RAM sticks performing much better. So how much better? I'd rather just buy an 8 gb stick now and have the 2+2+8 for the time being, with someday adding another 8 gb stick and removing the 4 I have now.

I basically just need more RAM for Lightroom, not really concerned if I lose like 10% performance while gaming.

Also, any preferred brands/types? I have Kingston now.

Negligible. More like 1% performance hit, if any. Any known brand will do. If it looks dodgy, read reviews.

LilJoka

Are the stock 780 coolers any good?

Getting a EVGA 780 nonTi Superclocked and I have an NZXT H440 which suffocates components with its less than ideal airflow.

Don't want to end up cooking it.

They are not too bad, mine runs up to 80c with a nice 1100/3200Mhz OC on stock volts, fan is probably similar noise as PS4 at a distance. If you are right next to PC youll notice it. The stock coolers will not cook your card if you arent worried about fan noise. I run 1250/3500 1.21v (max by default tools) with fan at 70% and hits about 85c. These are all measurements in Unigene Valley benchmark.

ShinLuigi

Banned
Asked about this earlier but here it goes again. Is overprovisioning necessary for SSD's? Samsung magician wants to partition off 10%.

It helps performance when your drive is nearly full. SSDs drastically lose performance as the drive gets ~90% full so the over provisioning ensures that it never technically goes over that limit, even if you totally fill the drive.

It's worth having on.

In that case, the CPU is definitely overkill unless you know sure he'll overclock it and upgrade the GPU eventually. Consider maybe the 4430/4570 instead.

If he does plan to upgrade the gpu eventually, he might need a bigger PSU.
He said he wanted an i7 lol. Which is clearly overkill

Scythian

So could anyone recommend any good PSUs that aren't too expensive? (>$80)

I'm out of the loop here, since where I buy my components most of the time I can't even look at the specs without the seller having to bring the box from the warehouse or something. Annoying.

ShinLuigi

Banned
So could anyone recommend any good PSUs that aren't too expensive? (>$80)

I'm out of the loop here, since where I buy my components most of the time I can't even look at the specs without the seller having to bring the box from the warehouse or something. Annoying.

What power rating? What kind of system is it for?

For bog standard reliablity and to maximise price/performance, take a look at the CXM series from Corsair. They're modular too, so you only use the cables that your system needs, letting you avoid unnecessary clutter.

Ok PcGaf I have designed this custom build to my liking.

Linked Here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2K6YLk

A few questions

1. Is anything overkill, meaning can I select a cheaper part, or remove it from the build all together?

2. On a scale from 1-10 how good will this build be?

3. What kind of Gaming performance can I expect with CPU/GPU setup? Will I be able to run games on ultra at 60fps or will I have to temper my expectations.

This will be my first build, so thanks in advance for the help.

Zaru

A few questions

1. Is anything overkill, meaning can I select a cheaper part, or remove it from the build all together?

3. What kind of Gaming performance can I expect with CPU/GPU setup? Will I be able to run games on ultra at 60fps or will I have to temper my expectations.

Are you sure you need that kind of cooling without overclocking?

They are not too bad, mine runs up to 80c with a nice 1100/3200Mhz OC on stock volts, fan is probably similar noise as PS4 at a distance. If you are right next to PC youll notice it. The stock coolers will not cook your card if you arent worried about fan noise. I run 1250/3500 1.21v (max by default tools) with fan at 70% and hits about 85c. These are all measurements in Unigene Valley benchmark.

I don't care for fan noise as long as it keeps it withing operating temps, I don't think I'll be overclocking it, not in this case anyway.

Thanks.

ShinLuigi

Banned

A few questions

Get the 4770k, even if you think you won't overclock. It's SO easy nowadays and it'd be a crying shame if you were stuck with one with no unlocked multiplier. Even if you don't do it now, you might want to in a few years for a free 15% performance boost.

If you insist on the 4770, I don't see a need for the after market cooler.

Other than that, get the cheapest named brand 1600Mhz RAM there is. You will get no performance boost from SUPER TURBO HYPER XXX TRIPLE BUFFERED MOUNTAIN DEW ULTRA RAM; it's like flushing money down the toilet.

Do you plan on going SLI some time down the line? If not, 750W is overkill on the PSU. 550w will do you fine.

As for performance, @1080p and assuming a decent PC port, expect 60fps with pretty much everything maxed out. Obviously you'll have to be sensible with the AA, as does anyone really but you should be set for a good couple of years if not more :)

A few questions

Why do you need a network adapter card with that motherboard?

Get the 4770k, even if you think you won't overclock. It's SO easy nowadays and it'd be a crying shame if you were stuck with one with no unlocked multiplier. Even if you don't do it now, you might want to in a few years for a free 15% performance boost.

If you insist on the 4770, I don't see a need for the after market cooler.

Other than that, get the cheapest named brand 1600Mhz RAM there is. You will get no performance boost from SUPER TURBO HYPER XXX TRIPLE BUFFERED MOUNTAIN DEW ULTRA RAM; it's like flushing money down the toilet.

Do you plan on going SLI some time down the line? If not, 750W is overkill on the PSU. 550w will do you fine.

As for performance, @1080p and assuming a decent PC port, expect 60fps with pretty much everything maxed out. Obviously you'll have to be sensible with the AA, as does anyone really but you should be set for a good couple of years if not more :)

Ok thanks, I'm pretty sure I won't overclock. I will check on the PSU. I thought the evga gtx 780 required 600w of power. At least thats what I read on Newegg. I may be mistaken though. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

ShinLuigi

Banned
Ok thanks, I'm pretty sure I won't overclock. I will check on the PSU. I thought the evga gtx 780 required 600w of power. At least thats what I read on Newegg. I may be mistaken though. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

The quoted power requirements are just the manufacturer being extremely conservative as usual. That system will have no problem on 500w even. Go for 550/600 to give a little leeway for extra peripherals though.

bogg

If you are not going to overclock you might as well get a i7-4790 and a "modest" z97 motherboard, no real need to spend so much on a motherboard if you are not overclocking or using 2 gpu's.

It helps performance when your drive is nearly full. SSDs drastically lose performance as the drive gets ~90% full so the over provisioning ensures that it never technically goes over that limit, even if you totally fill the drive.

It's worth having on.

Ok thanks. I did 10% as suggested by Samsung Magician

ShinLuigi

Banned
If you are not going to overclock you might as well get a i7-4790 and a "modest" z97 motherboard, no real need to spend so much on a motherboard if you are not overclocking or using 2 gpu's.

This is great advice.

Please consider the overclocking route though. I promise you it's not difficult. If you can build your own PC, you can overclock without issue. The performance difference on games these days is less to with cores/threads (assuming 4 cores minimum) and more to do with clock speed. A 4770k@4.2+ will last you for a very long time.

I run a lot of CPU intensive programs like Photoshop, Premiere, AutoCAD and Maya so how will a 4790 against the 4770. This build is going to be a quiet beast. Really powerful, but I want as least noise as possible.

Sami+

So I have a dumb question. I asked something similar about six months ago but it ultimately didn't pan out and I have a more clear budget and idea of what I want.

I have an old pre-made rig that I've been using. It's not very good. Most games work 720p/30fps on High. I was wondering - what happens if I buy a new GPU alone? I know it'll bottleneck, but my friend said he suffers from bottlenecking, but it's only really a problem with open world games. Here's what it'll look like -

CPU - AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz
RAM - 8GB DDR3 1333
GPU - GTX 760GB (replacing a Radeon HD 6670 1GB)
Mobo - ASROCK N68-VS3 FX
PSU - 480W

I have a PS4, so I'm not too interested in being able to play current gen on High or anything. I just want to play Dark Souls, Bioshock Infinite, and a handful of other Gen 7 games at 1080p/60fps. Can I do that with this? Or will I need more than just a new GPU?

I apologize in advance if this question makes me come off as an idiot. :p Help would be very appreciated. I'm not looking to spend more than $350, so if someone can help me get the most bang for my buck using the PC I already have I'd appreciate it immensely.

ShinLuigi

Banned
I run a lot of CPU intensive programs like Photoshop, Premiere, AutoCAD and Maya so how will a 4790 against the 4770. This build is going to be a quiet beast. Really powerful, but I want as least noise as possible.

It's basically a slightly overclocked 4770. The difference will probably be 10% in the best case scenario. I'd say not really worth it actually considering the price.

Definitely look to downgrade on that mobo though. It's totally unnecessary for your requirements.

VLEXP

If I really don't get care about getting more than 60fps what monitor should I be getting? I was thinking of getting the 144hz Asus but I really dont care about that. Why get that when I can just get two monitors for the price of one?

I am currently trying to decide between these 2 monitors (third is a refurbished version of one) http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=asus%20vg278he&bop=And&CompareItemList=-1|24-176-221^24-176-221-TS%2C24-276-083R^cs%23%2C24-236-313^24-236-313-TS&percm=24-236-293%3A%24%24%24%24%24%24%24

Can anyone give me an idea on which is better than which, and if there is any downside to buying refurbished? Also, any suggestions as to a better monitor would also be appreciated.

ShinLuigi

Banned
If I really don't get care about getting more than 60fps what monitor should I be getting? I was thinking of getting the 144hz Asus but I really dont care about that. Why get that when I can just get two monitors for the price of one?

120+hz is what life is all about, that's why.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
So... I kind of want a Steam streaming box. What would be the cheapest route for 1080p60? I keep going back and forth if I want to go super cheap streaming only, or build ~$500 mini ITX machine that can do some decent gaming.

LilJoka

So... I kind of want a Steam streaming box. What would be the cheapest route for 1080p60? I keep going back and forth if I want to go super cheap streaming only, or build ~$500 mini ITX machine that can do some decent gaming.

Steam streaming works on most games but not all. And in beta i could stream BF3, now i cant. Since beta they closed some security holes, but its compatibility is worse for unofficial games. Emulators seem to work mostly. I dont have a huge library of steam games to test, so make sure you try it first on another machine. NFS Rivals and BF3 dont work from Origin anymore which is kind of annoying for me.

IMO build a mITX box with a dedicated GPU. Although $500 maybe a little short depending on what parts you need, and what experience you are aiming for.

A build to consider the costs
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RjcWf7

Exuro

Because moving a cursor at 60hz feels awful after experiencing it at 144hz.

Any with not more than 2MS (at least if you're playing FPS, everything else shouldn't suffer much on 5MS).

Tomorrow is the day I am finding out about the Devils canyon processor, if it does get delayed, I am getting the haswell 4790 instead. hopefully, I don't need to over-clock to play great graphical games on the highest setting and have them run smooth.

Scythian

What power rating? What kind of system is it for?

For bog standard reliablity and to maximise price/performance, take a look at the CXM series from Corsair. They're modular too, so you only use the cables that your system needs, letting you avoid unnecessary clutter.

My current specs are probably low power, GTX 650 doesn't drain much as far as I know, I wanna replace the generic one I have:

CPU: Intel Core i5-650 @ 3.20GHz
RAM: 1x Kingston 4GB DDR3-1333
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2V Micro ATX LGA1156
GPU: Geforce GTX 650 1GB GDDR5
PSU: Pixxo Jaguar 600W 24 pins SATA

I went shopping and saw the 650W NZXT HALE82-N, looking it up online saw that it is kinda old, but had good ratings, I think getting a more powerful one is going to be hard for me.

ShinLuigi

Banned
My current specs are probably low power, GTX 650 doesn't drain much as far as I know, I wanna replace the generic one I have:

CPU: Intel Core i5-650 @ 3.20GHz
RAM: 1x Kingston 4GB DDR3-1333
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2V Micro ATX LGA1156
GPU: Geforce GTX 650 1GB GDDR5
PSU: Pixxo Jaguar 600W 24 pins SATA

I went shopping and saw the 650W NZXT HALE82-N, looking it up online saw that it is kinda old, but had good ratings, I think getting a more powerful one is going to be hard for me.

500W would do you fine. 450 even. If you want a good chunk of breathing room in case of upgrades down the line or for extra hdds and other internal peripherals, 550w would be great. For your current build, you're really overdoing it with 600w.

Do you guys see any issues with this setup? The processor and 660ti are from another build so I can't switch those out.
intel i5 3570k
EVGA 2GB GTX 660ti
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
16GB G Skills ripjaws x 1600 DDR3 (4x4)
WD 1TB HDD 7200rpm
Corsair CX600 power supply (its cheaper than the 500w)
Rosewell Challenger ATX mid tower

Thanks!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
500W would do you fine. 450 even. If you want a good chunk of breathing room in case of upgrades down the line or for extra hdds and other internal peripherals, 550w would be great. For your current build, you're really overdoing it with 600w.
Except it seems like it is an older $30 PSU with fake specs (25A on all rails yeah right),

I would replace it for sure. Still some not great supplies floating around. If it was a good 600W would absolutely be fine.
Do you guys see any issues with this setup? The processor and 660ti are from another build so I can't switch those out.
intel i5 3570k
EVGA 2GB GTX 660ti
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
WD 1TB HDD 7200rpm

Thanks!
Buying or have? Have is fine.

Buying is a dead socket and a gen old CPU.

Fill out op bullet points and give more info.

kiyomi

intel i5 3570k
EVGA 2GB GTX 660ti
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
WD 1TB HDD 7200rpm

Thanks!
The CX is a bit of a lame PSU but it will do the job. I'd swap it out for an XFX 550W Core Edition if you can get it for a similar price, or something even nicer if you have extra cash.

I don't know that case - again if you have some extra money to spend it might be worth it. Corsair 200R etc.

Get a better CPU cooler too if you don't have one, e.g Hyper 212 Evo. Then overclock that 3570K.

The CX is a bit of a lame PSU but it will do the job. I'd swap it out for an XFX 550W Core Edition if you can get it for a similar price, or something even nicer if you have extra cash.

I don't know that case - again if you have some extra money to spend it might be worth it. Corsair 200R etc.

Get a better CPU cooler too if you don't have one, e.g Hyper 212 Evo. Then overclock that 3570K.

Awesome thanks ill check both of those out

Tomorrow is the day I am finding out about the Devils canyon processor, if it does get delayed, I am getting the haswell 4790 instead. hopefully, I don't need to over-clock to play great graphical games on the highest setting and have them run smooth.

If you can't wait why don't you get the 4770k? At least it's overclockable. If you get the 4790 all your getting is a 100mhz stock speed boost on the haswell refresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom