• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiyomi

So the MX100 is the heir apparent to the M500, but it begs the question as to why the M550 line exists.

Forgive my ignorance but when are the MX100s actually available at retail worldwide?

dorkkaos

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

:p

But seriously it should be fine. If performance dips in the future when new, more demanding games are released you could upgrade then. For the moment the 2500k handles everything very well when paired with a powerful GPU.

Edit: Beaten, and yes definitely pick up a capable cooler and OC it!

My current cooler is hyper 212 evo. I am considering picking up a closed loop cooler, but, idk. The current card i'm looking at is the 290x.

The thing i'm mostly afraid of is just the increase of heat within the case. That's probably why i'm sorta thinking if getting the 780 Ti might be the better choice. But the 290x is so much cheaper and has more memory. hahah.

Tablo

So the MX100 is the heir apparent to the M500, but it begs the question as to why the M550 line exists.

Forgive my ignorance but when are the MX100s actually available at retail worldwide?

They appear to be available right now on Newegg/Amazon in NA at least.
Also the MX100 is for now only in a 2.5" traditional form factor, while the M550 is in M.2/mSATA/2.5. Also the M550 has a 1 TB model in the 2.5" form factor, the MX100 tops out at 512GB for now.

Apparently the M550 is a bit faster than the MX100, but not by much as the Anandtech article points out. Seems kind of redundant, it's not quite fast enough to be considered at the higher end of consumer SSDs. But it's not price competitive with the MX100.

What's awesome is the MX100 retains the hardware encryption and power loss protection at that low price, it's fucking awesome.

Smokey

Hi guys.

I currently have two EVGA GTX 780Tis. They are now up for sale. If anybody is looking for this GPU(s) at a nice price PM me. As usual I'm posting this here and in the B/S/T before going anywhere else.

Stubo

My current cooler is hyper 212 evo. I am considering picking up a closed loop cooler, but, idk. The current card i'm looking at is the 290x.

The thing i'm mostly afraid of is just the increase of heat within the case. That's probably why i'm sorta thinking if getting the 780 Ti might be the better choice. But the 290x is so much cheaper and has more memory. hahah.
The 212 is a great cooler for a reasonable overclock, you'd only need to switch it out if you were really looking to push the limits of your chip.

As for the gpu thing, it largely depends on how good the airflow in your case is. Make sure you get a card with a good cooler (gigabyte, evga, sapphire, msi etc.) - they're leaps and bounds better than the reference coolers, especially on the 290x.

Edit: Or buy one of Smokey's 780Ti's to help with that price concern you had!

mkenyon

Banned
But it's just a mouse. People complain about sensors, but honestly, my Logitech and Razer have felt just like the Microsoft mouse I use at work.

Adjustable DPI is the only noticeable difference.
I have also never used the software provided with a mouse since it all seems like bloatware to me. Just let the hardware do its work.

The biggest real-world impact to my mousing is if a piece of dog hair gets on my mouse pad.
Not knowing when a mouse is making you miss shots or clicks, making you feel like you're not as good as other people, that's an impossible thing to point out when that's just the way it is.

A good mouse does make an appreciable difference, and increases the amount of things that one can do with that mouse.

It's like using a pair of tennis shoes for running. They work, you can run just fine. You will probably get sore, and think that it's a result of running too hard or not stretching X muscle properly. When you put on a pair of purpose-built running shoes, you realize how all these little things were actually the result of your old shoes.
Hi guys.

I currently have two GTX 780Tis. They are now up for sale. If anybody is looking for this GPU(s) at a nice price PM me. As usual I'm posting this here and in the B/S/T before going anywhere else.
Oh shit.

What have you done Smokey?

Kalm

Hi guys.

I currently have two EVGA GTX 780Tis. They are now up for sale. If anybody is looking for this GPU(s) at a nice price PM me. As usual I'm posting this here and in the B/S/T before going anywhere else.

Jesus...!!!

This? SLI?

GTX_Titan_Z_678x452.jpg

Please make it so.

dorkkaos

The 212 is a great cooler for a reasonable overclock, you'd only need to switch it out if you were really looking to push the limits of your chip.

As for the gpu thing, it largely depends on how good the airflow in your case is. Make sure you get a card with a good cooler (gigabyte, evga, sapphire, msi etc.) - they're leaps and bounds better than the reference coolers, especially on the 290x.

Edit: Or buy one of Smokey's 780Ti's to help with that price concern you had!

Thanks for the advice! Guess i'm sticking with my 2500k for a bit longer then! hahah

Smokey

Repost, was at the bottom of the last page:

Hi guys.

Jesus...!!!

This? SLI?

Please make it so.

i9DeY2v9sN9L6.gif

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hi guys.

At least wait until Computex is done lol

Repost, was at the bottom of the last page:

Hi guys.

Are they Classies or regular with ACX?

Smokey

At least wait until Computex is done lol

I'm not in the business of waiting as you're probably aware. Everything is speculation and you'll be waiting months to see if whatever you're waiting for even pans out. See: ASUS ROG Swift monitor. If something gets revealed at Computex... that's what return labels are for.

But for people who might be interested in these, but want to see about Computex that's cool. I'll casually bring it up later in the week.

Are they Classies or regular with ACX?

They are EVGA Reference. Not SuperClocked.
I had to stick to reference. With the FT02 I could not take advantage of open design GPUs due to the nature of my case.

Smokey

Did you buy the Titan Z? Or go the 290X/295X2 route?

TeamGreen

Titan Blacks SuperClocked. I like how 2 cards look in a case. Long ass journey to get back to 6GB VRAM. I'm done for awhile. May ride off into the sunset with these cards.

Got my Sentry Mix 2 fan controller as well, based Amazon. I also have to send in my Pro SLI bridge for a revised model. Causes crashing when used at 4k. Jacob said it's a known issue when used with 4k or high refresh rates monitors, but since not many use the former they make you send it in if you're having problems.

Should all settle down by end of next week and then I can move everything to the Air 540.

Zukuu

Banned
I need help with PC hardware, but this is not the correct thread for it. Since I didn't find an appropriate one, excuse me for abusing this thread.

I have a P67A-GD65 motherboard and try to get the front audio panel working. Since recently my sound card went kaput, which was able to deliver a back (5.1 system) AND a front signal (headset). Using the on-board 7.1 card yields a backsignal, but it won't recognize the front panel, which I have connected to the JAUD1 slot. Did I mess up or is it just impossible?

jett

D-Member
OP recommends Antec power supplies, but those aren't readily available where I live. Are Coolermaster power supplies any good?

BTW, the Asus Z97-A a good enough MB for your average gaming needs? Again, OP recommends Gigabyte, but I wonder if this is equivalent to the GB one.

Thanks!

This is the build I'm looking at. For those in the know. Would it be good enough for VR?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.29 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus H87-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($105.24 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($92.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.97 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280 3GB DirectCU II Video Card ($295.70 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1062.14

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-02 20:38 EDT-0400)

Celcius

°Temp. member
Titan Blacks SuperClocked. I like how 2 cards look in a case. Long ass journey to get back to 6GB VRAM. I'm done for awhile. May ride off into the sunset with these cards.
Should all settle down by end of next week and then I can move everything to the Air 540.

Hmm, getting rid of the FT02 but going with reference cards again? Do you plan to buy ACX coolers for the titan blacks?

scogoth

TeamGreen

Got my Sentry Mix 2 fan controller as well, based Amazon. I also have to send in my Pro SLI bridge for a revised model. Causes crashing when used at 4k. Jacob said it's a known issue when used with 4k or high refresh rates monitors, but since not many use the former they make you send it in if you're having problems.

Wrong. Should be Titan Black Hydrocopper.

Hi guys.

What GPU's are you rocking now Smokey?

Edit. I saw Titan Blacks.

Smokey

Hmm, getting rid of the FT02 but going with reference cards again? Do you plan to buy ACX coolers for the titan blacks?

I prefer the blower style cooler for SLI. Not a big fan of the open design dumping all of that heat into the case. I did it with the 580 Lightning Xtreme's + 500r case. Found myself going back to the former mentioned design.

Wrong. Should be Titan Black Hydrocopper.

I'm a failure in MKenyon's eyes :(

What are you GPU's are you rocking now Smokey?

In a few days 2x Titan Blacks

Hi guys.

Congrats on your Titan Blacks :)

So it wasn't the PSU? Seasonic redeemed

scogoth

Why is it so hard for someone to make a 2TB M.2 NGFF SSD and a Mini-ITX case exactly like the EVGA hadron without the drive bays?

They are EVGA Reference. Not SuperClocked.
I had to stick to reference. With the FT02 I could not take advantage of open design GPUs due to the nature of my case.

Ah okay. I woulda totally been all over them if they were SC or Classy since I already have one, and Tri SLI would be so pointless but also amazing.

Scythian

Finally got a new Cooler Master case for my old PC, and a new silent NZXT HALE82 N, it feels so good :3
48c20657ac.png

This warning is coming up on HWiNFO. Is it something to be worried about?

789shadow

Banned
So I plan on building my first gaming PC this summer, but I have just about no knowledge or experience. I always hear that building and using a gaming PC isn't as hard as some people make it seem, but I'd still like to be somewhat prepared. What's the best way to go about this?

So I plan on building my first gaming PC this summer, but I have just about no knowledge or experience. I always hear that building and using a gaming PC isn't as hard as some people make it seem, but I'd still like to be somewhat prepared. What's the best way to go about this?

Spend a few weeks reading this thread. That has helped me a great deal. There are also some good PC build YouTube videos from tested, newegg, etc

TheD

The Detective
Did anyone see the Intel 4 Gen datasheet update?
They added the i7 4790K and i5 4690K (aka Devil's Canyon), so maybe it is coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom