• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buying or have? Have is fine.

Buying is a dead socket and a gen old CPU.

Fill out op bullet points and give more info.

Yea sorry I didn't say that very clearly, I already have the 3570k and 660 ti, I'm taking them out of another computer. Was looking at the other parts to go with those two. I play mostly rpgs and turn based strategy (think skyrim/civ V) with some occasional battlefield. 1080p/60 is fine and I don't OC much

These are my current specs:

core 2 duo E6700
PNY GTX 650
4 GB DDR2
WD 1 TB HDD
Corsair Force 3 SSD
Corsair TX650M PSU

These are the specs that I am looking to upgrade to:

Core i5 4670K OC'd
Corsair H80i
EVGA GTX 760 FTW ACX
8 GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws Ram
Same hard drives as above (WD and Corsair)

I want to upgrade to a new PC that is more of this generation, based on the parts that I have listed above, will my PSU be able to handle the new parts that I throw at it?

Tomorrow is the day I am finding out about the Devils canyon processor, if it does get delayed, I am getting the haswell 4790 instead. hopefully, I don't need to over-clock to play great graphical games on the highest setting and have them run smooth.

whats happening tomorrow?

Also, looking into buying an SSD yet i know nothing about them, can they help my OS, gaming load times, what brand is good, which is fastest, what size SSD should I buy? what connection type will optimize the speeds of the SSD drive the most?

kharma45

core 2 duo E6700
PNY GTX 650
4 GB DDR2
WD 1 TB HDD
Corsair Force 3 SSD
Corsair TX650M PSU

Core i5 4670K OC'd
Corsair H80i
EVGA GTX 760 FTW ACX

I want to upgrade to a new PC that is more of this generation, based on the parts that I have listed above, will my PSU be able to handle the new parts that I throw at it?

Yep it's fine.

Diablos

What will be an adequate GPU for games like Witcher 3 for 1080p 60fps? My 660 isn't going to cut it. It chokes on a lot of games already.

What will be an adequate GPU for games like Witcher 3 for 1080p 60fps? My 660 isn't going to cut it. It chokes on a lot of games already.

Not a PC expert but an enthusiast, don't quote me, but the specs for Witcher 3 aren't released yet, so it will be hard to predict what GPUs will be adequate for this game.

Gizuko

If you can't wait why don't you get the 4770k? At least it's overclockable. If you get the 4790 all your getting is a 100mhz stock speed boost on the haswell refresh.

But they were going to fix the TIM, so higher OCs should be achievable (at least in cases that were restricted by temperature).

On the one hand, when you think about those 5GHz it sounds soooo good... On the other hand, though, you don't even know if they'll clock that high. I find it rather hard to tell someone if it's worth waiting or not.

LilJoka

But they were going to fix the TIM, so higher OCs should be achievable (at least in cases that were restricted by temperature).

On the one hand, when you think about those 5GHz it sounds soooo good... On the other hand, though, you don't even know if they'll clock that high. I find it rather hard to tell someone if it's worth waiting or not.

There was actually not a huge issue with the TIM, it was the amount of space being filled by TIM to avoid the CPU Heatsink from crushing the die. Most of the gain seen from deliddding the CPU is because people remove the black epoxy around the PCB bringing the CPU heatsink closer to the die (15-20c drop). The last 5-10c are gained by using CLU TIM/Paste/Liquid Metal over the normal TIM. Intel wont use this stuff because its probably just as expensive as solder in mass production. So either they refined their tolerances with the distance to the die, or its just a rumour at best on the TIM. Im not ready to get my hopes up yet.

Anyway its so easy to delid i wouldnt hesitate buying a 4770k.

Gizuko

There was actually not a huge issue with the TIM, it was the amount of space being filled by TIM to avoid the CPU Heatsink from crushing the die. Most of the gain seen from deliddding the CPU is because people remove the black epoxy around the PCB bringing the CPU heatsink closer to the die (15-20c drop). The last 5-10c are gained by using CLU TIM/Paste/Liquid Metal over the normal TIM. Intel wont use this stuff because its probably just as expensive as solder in mass production. So either they refined their tolerances with the distance to the die, or its just a rumour at best on the TIM. Im not ready to get my hopes up yet.

Anyway its so easy to delid i wouldnt hesitate buying a 4770k.

I'd rather not delid a cpu, myself, it seems like one wrong step and you could end up with a 300€-worth paperweight. II have never looked into it in detail, so it might be just what it looks like, but some videos are pretty... scary to watch.

On that note, you might be right, since I believe AnandTech's review of the DC processors didn't cover OC temps and max. OC, so it does seem strange, when you think about it that way.

I still hope they are cooler than the 4770k and that they release before summer's end, in hindsight, I'd probably get a 4770k if they weren't.

Hell Razor

Neo Member
Intel Core i5-4670K Quad-Core Desktop Processor 3.4 GHZ 6 MB Cache
PNY NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB or EVGA GeForce GTX760 SuperClocked (770 worth the price bump?)
Biostar ATX DDR3 1600 LGA 1150 Motherboards HI-FI Z87X 3D
Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3
WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive
SeaSonic 650-Watt ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Active PFC Power Supply SSR-650RM
Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 120GB (any alternates or should I stick to this)
ASUS Xonar DGX PCI-E GX2.5 Audio Engine Sound Cards
Xigmatek Desktop Computer Heatsink Cooling Fan GAIA SD1283
Silverstone Tek Micro-ATX Mini-DTX, Mini-ITX Mini Tower Plastic with Aluminum Accent Computer CasesAsus 24x
DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST
Dell UltraSharp U2312HM 23" IPS LED LCD Monitor - 16:9

This is my first time building a computer and a friend has agreed to help out. I was wondering if all of this looked good and if there are any alternates that may be cheaper and of the same performance. Most of this I believe I got directly off this thread. Want a second opinion before I use up $1000

I have an old pre-made rig that I've been using. It's not very good. Most games work 720p/30fps on High. I was wondering - what happens if I buy a new GPU alone? I know it'll bottleneck, but my friend said he suffers from bottlenecking, but it's only really a problem with open world games. Here's what it'll look like -

CPU - AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz
RAM - 8GB DDR3 1333
GPU - GTX 760GB (replacing a Radeon HD 6670 1GB)
Mobo - ASROCK N68-VS3 FX
PSU - 480W

I have a PS4, so I'm not too interested in being able to play current gen on High or anything. I just want to play Dark Souls, Bioshock Infinite, and a handful of other Gen 7 games at 1080p/60fps. Can I do that with this? Or will I need more than just a new GPU?

While the new GPU will help in most cases, that CPU is very weak. Upgrading to even a Haswell i3 would probably yield similar performance gains in all honesty. The games you mentioned aren't exactly perfect ports so you might be fine, but the FX-4100 is weaker than even a Phenom II X4 in almost all situations and even with a new GPU you will get pretty bad performance in any RTS, MMO, or other CPU-bound games.

core 2 duo E6700
PNY GTX 650
4 GB DDR2
WD 1 TB HDD
Corsair Force 3 SSD
Corsair TX650M PSU

Core i5 4670K OC'd
Corsair H80i
EVGA GTX 760 FTW ACX

I would say the H80i is overkill. You could switch to a Hyper 212 and get equivalent performance and almost bump that GTX760 to a GTX770 with the leftover money (might need to chip in ~$30). Everything else seems fine.

Intel Core i5-4670K Quad-Core Desktop Processor 3.4 GHZ 6 MB Cache
PNY NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB or EVGA GeForce GTX760 SuperClocked (770 worth the price bump?)
Biostar ATX DDR3 1600 LGA 1150 Motherboards HI-FI Z87X 3D
Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3
WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive
SeaSonic 650-Watt ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Active PFC Power Supply SSR-650RM
Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 120GB (any alternates or should I stick to this)
ASUS Xonar DGX PCI-E GX2.5 Audio Engine Sound Cards
Xigmatek Desktop Computer Heatsink Cooling Fan GAIA SD1283
Silverstone Tek Micro-ATX Mini-DTX, Mini-ITX Mini Tower Plastic with Aluminum Accent Computer CasesAsus 24x
DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST
Dell UltraSharp U2312HM 23" IPS LED LCD Monitor - 16:9

This is my first time building a computer and a friend has agreed to help out. I was wondering if all of this looked good and if there are any alternates that may be cheaper and of the same performance. Most of this I believe I got directly off this thread. Want a second opinion before I use up $1000

Build looks fine to me. But do you absolutely need the sound card? Unless you have quality cans or speakers on-board sound is plenty good enough for most people. Lots of people also ditch the DVD drive but I chose to purchase one as well even though I've only used it maybe twice. And the 760 should be plenty fine for that monitor. I had one and it played most games at 1080p and a minimum of 50fps with games maxed out.

Build looks fine to me. But do you absolutely need the sound card? Unless you have quality cans or speakers on-board sound is plenty good enough for most people. Lots of people also ditch the DVD drive but I chose to purchase one as well even though I've only used it maybe twice. And the 760 should be plenty fine for that monitor. I had one and it played most games at 1080p and a minimum of 50fps with games maxed out.

Dropping the sound card and getting a GTX 770 would be the best thing he could do.

What do you guys use to clean your PC out intermittently?

Thinking I should give my little beastie a clean soon.

I just hose it down......

Seriously though, when I clean my pc I usually use a micro fibre cloth, q-tips(that's right), isopropyl alcohol, a small flat brush and compressed air. I mainly just clean all fans and filters (gpu fans can be tricky though) and parts of the case.

I use this thing

pAgprPC.jpg

jett

D-Member
Man why do PC prices gotta suck so bad here. The parts I'd like to purchase would cost me over 30% more than the prices listed in the OP. With tax included it's closer to 50%. :lol Aw man.

elfinke

If compressed air in a can isn't available to you (I can't find any convenient to me), go to your local Bunnies, grab one of these:

http://www.bunnings.com.au/hills-1-litre-garden-pressure-sprayer_p2970187

Works perfectly for just blowing dust out. Combined with the vacuum or a handheld DustBuster thing, I find I have dog hair less almost dustless case most of them time.

Sami+

While the new GPU will help in most cases, that CPU is very weak. Upgrading to even a Haswell i3 would probably yield similar performance gains in all honesty. The games you mentioned aren't exactly perfect ports so you might be fine, but the FX-4100 is weaker than even a Phenom II X4 in almost all situations and even with a new GPU you will get pretty bad performance in any RTS, MMO, or other CPU-bound games.

Thank you. :)

What would you recommend I do, in that case?

elfinke

Wait, that sprays air?

Not liquids?

It'll give a quick (2-5 seconds say) burst of air, perfect for dislodging dust and muck from the corners of cases, no worries at all. Then with just a few pumps, it's good to fire again. I mean, it's not a replacement for sustained air pressure, but I've had good success using them to just blow out fans, grills and so forth. I've got a bunch of these around the house/garage, so it was a simply thing to try.

kennah

WTS:
Game of Thrones Season 3 Digital Copy: $8

EVGA SC 4GB GTX670: $200 shipped
Has been used without an overclock. Includes original packaging, cables, manual, and......stickers.

Paypal only, PM if you're interested!

One last repost before I put it on ebay. An inferior, non SC model of the GTX670 just sold on ebay for $260 so it's a good deal! Happy to take more pictures or answer any questions.

Also: Sorry for reposting, misremembered the rules as 50 posts instead of 150. Spare me this once :p
Someone buy this. It is basically a faster 760

Boss Mog

Isn't Devil's Canyon supposed to come out tomorrow? I wonder if we'll see any reviews hitting the web tonight at midnight PDT.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Boss★Moogle;114354961 said:
Isn't Devil's Canyon supposed to come out tomorrow? I wonder if we'll see any reviews hitting the web tonight at midnight PDT.
Waiting on Computex infos. Most probably delayed.
Yeah...I went from budget build to considering the 290x but I already ordered a Silverstone 500w PSU.

I entered my system in http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine and it says minimum PSU 452 / recommended 502. I will be not changing my cpu/gpu voltages. Am I out of luck or will I be okay?
FUCK NO. Maybe.

But, I wouldn't risk it at all. The 290X is a flagship card and chews through power not even talking about overclocking it. It alone can peak at 350w draw if you boost it. Even it getting hotter will cause it to use more power and they run HOT.
290 is a much better value, although it also chews through power.
Out of luck. 290x on a 500 watt PSU? Nope. Try 700-750 to be safe assuming you'll have like 80-85% efficiency.
PSU numbers are all DC, no need to account for efficiency conversion.

Sami+

If you don't plan on getting a new CPU soon then a new GPU will yield performance gains, but I would consider a new CPU within the next year or so.

If I got a GTX 760 and i3 4150 and left everything else the same would I be able to get the kind of performance I'm asking about? 60fps isn't really a must for me, but I'd prefer it for Dark Souls especially. 1080p is something I do need though, haha. Plus AA and preferably other settings on High. If Bioshock Infinite for example is at 1080p/30fps but High/Max I'd be fine with that.

Thanks again.

Something like the below would do you just fine for your use without going overboard for just occasional binge gaming:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($228.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($239.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $719.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-01 02:49 EDT-0400)

Awesome. If I wanted to boost performance a little more, what should I change?

But the person said they were just gonna get the standard haswell refresh 4790 and not devil's canyon. That's why I suggested going with the 4770k. IMO it's better to get the unlocked chip vs the 4790

Gizuko

But the person said they were just gonna get the standard haswell refresh 4790 and not devil's canyon. That's why I suggested going with the 4770k. IMO it's better to get the unlocked chip vs the 4790

Oh, I'm sorry if it came across as criticism, as it was never my intention. I was only making a remark since I'm waiting for the unlocked ones and some people seem to be too, I didn't notice that he was talking about the locked one.

If I got a GTX 760 and i3 4150 and left everything else the same would I be able to get the kind of performance I'm asking about? 60fps isn't really a must for me, but I'd prefer it for Dark Souls especially. 1080p is something I do need though, haha. Plus AA and preferably other settings on High. If Bioshock Infinite for example is at 1080p/30fps but High/Max I'd be fine with that.

Thanks again.

An i3 and GTX 760 would definitely run Bioshock in the range you want, but I can't find any solid benchmarks on Dark Souls. It seems to be pretty undemanding (the recommended hardware is pretty dated) so I'd imagine Bioshock is more the target here. According to Techspot an FX-4100 paired with a GTX 680 (a bit more powerful than the GTX 760 but it's more a frame of reference) was able to max the game at 1920x1200 and manage about 58fps on average, so if you're shooting for 30fps with a slightly lower resolution and slightly weaker GPU it should be manageable, and if you go to the last page it actually states a GTX 670 (almost identical to the GTX 760) at 2560x1600 managed 41 fps on average, so you should be fine there.

I cannot speak for Dark Souls, but it doesn't appear to be hyper demanding. You should be fine for the games you want to play with just a GPU upgrade.

Guys I finished my PC. My friend replaced the r9 290x and now I do not get a black screen. Fingers crossed.

So for 1080p gaming, how long am I good for ? ( How many years...) This is my first gaming build I built a P3 800 Mhz back in the day for home computer.

i7 4770k
G-Skill 16 gig 2400 mhz Ram
Asus VI Formula
R9 290x

If I want insane AA ( Completely getting rid of Jaggies) should I go for another R9 290x ?

Case is Corsair 600t White, planning to get water cooling just as a hobby.

Browny

Banned
A quick question (UK-GAF here).

Looking to upgrade my GPU - currently rocking a GeForce 545 (!) - came with the PC. Is there a huge difference between a 750 and a 760? 750 fits into my price bracket more confortably, i.e. I could order it today. But if the jump to 760 is a big one, then I would wait I suppose.

(I'm of course trusting that they both have the same motherboard fitting - which I can't check at the mo...)

Do I need to mention which game I'm looking to improve upon? :)

kennah

Looking to upgrade my GPU - currently rocking a GeForce 545 (!) - came with the PC. Is there a huge difference between a 750 and a 760? 750 fits into my price bracket more confortably, i.e. I could order it today. But if the jump to 760 is a big one, then I would wait I suppose.

(I'm of course trusting that they both have the same motherboard fitting - which I can't check at the mo...)

Huge difference between the 750 and 760. You should be looking at the 750 TI as a minimum. If money is an issue, buy used.

Also make sure that your power supply can support whatever GPU you're upgrading to.

kiyomi

Yep. I'm waiting for Devil's Canyon. I've waited this long (since February lol :c ) so I can wait until early July. Fits in nicely with my birthday too!

Wait until you can get a 760.

Alternatively, you could go AMD. Here's a 270X for £130. You could stick it in Flubit and get yourself another £5-10 off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom