• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm using a 780, Smokey. A 780! How am I supposed to live with this horribly weak card barely capable of running games!?
That's tough at least it's faster than my 670.
But not my soon to be water cooled 290
Sorry
A+
So I plan on building my first gaming PC this summer, but I have just about no knowledge or experience. I always hear that building and using a gaming PC isn't as hard as some people make it seem, but I'd still like to be somewhat prepared. What's the best way to go about this?
Probably reading the OP and second post then asking questions.

Smokey

Congrats on your Titan Blacks :)

So it wasn't the PSU? Seasonic redeemed

Different issue. With SLI enabled period the Seasonic would just shut my machine off. I couldn't turn it back on unless I unplugged the cable and waited 10 minutes or so. The EVGA Supernova G2 I replaced it with does not have this problem.

The EVGA Pro SLI bridge would crash the system, but Event Viewer would say it was a driver failure. I would switch it out with my regular bridge and everything was fine. That's when I got a hold of EVGA-Jacob and he said it's a known issue at 4k with the Pro bridges.

Ah okay. I woulda totally been all over them if they were SC or Classy since I already have one, and Tri SLI would be so pointless but also amazing.

Well....you know that you can overclock the regular Ti to match the SC clocks.... :). I got nothing when it comes to the Classy.

So I plan on building my first gaming PC this summer, but I have just about no knowledge or experience. I always hear that building and using a gaming PC isn't as hard as some people make it seem, but I'd still like to be somewhat prepared. What's the best way to go about this?

Watch some videos. There's tons of beginner videos on YouTube. Whatever you don't understand come in here and ask. The regulars will take care of you.

kiyomi

OP recommends Antec power supplies, but those aren't readily available where I live. Are Coolermaster power supplies any good?

BTW, the Asus Z97-A a good enough MB for your average gaming needs? Again, OP recommends Gigabyte, but I wonder if this is equivalent to the GB one.

Thanks!
Depends which CM PSUs. The VS series is fantastic.

Z97-A should be good enough all round yep.

AnAngryPillock

Neo Member
Gaf, I need some help with my PC cooling. I'm looking at picking up a Corsair 760 T case and a Corsair H100i cooler. My issue however is with my MB. I have the MSI G45 Gaming Z87 and it unfortunately only supports 3 pin fan control in three of its five fan headers. If a 3 pin is plugged into one of the unsupported headers it just runs it at 100%. The 760 T has 3 3-pin fans that apparently have a control button up top and the H100i has Corsair Link. Basically, is there a way to run all of this with this MB? I'm getting really frustrated with this thing between the fans and its OCing that I'm about to just buy a Gigabyte or ASUS ROG MB and be done with it. Thanks in advance.

To all you PC gamers, is the Alienware X51 with GeForce GTX 760 Ti worth it? Will it run anything on Ultra settings that I throw at it?

I think that's their highest end model, right?

To all you PC gamers, is the Alienware X51 with GeForce GTX 760 Ti worth it? Will it run anything on Ultra settings that I throw at it?

760 Ti's don't exist as far as I can tell?

There is a 750 Ti and a 780 Ti, did you mean one of those?

A 780 Ti will obliterate just about anything, it's basically as good as PCs get without going into truly insane territory. The 750 Ti will struggle maxing out graphically intensive modern games. The 760 isn't superpowerful either, but it will give you solid framerates on "good" settings for the time being.

Smokey

Hi,

Don't mean to spam the thread but I've already gotten a few PMs about my cards so here is the official posting from the B/S/T thread:

WTS

2x EVGA GTX 780Tis. Still under warranty. I still have the original boxes (excuse the SSD):

JsLTewe.jpg

imddijp.jpg

I will also throw in a download code for Watch_Dogs

Pricing:

1x 780ti + Watch_Dogs - $560 ($550 + $10 shipping)
2x 780ti + Watch_Dogs - $1,050

Paypal please. I am a good seller, have done plenty of business here over the years. If you have any questions, please PM me.

Serandur

A 780 Ti will obliterate just about anything, it's basically as good as PCs get without going into truly insane territory. The 750 Ti will struggle maxing out graphically intensive modern games. The 760 isn't superpowerful either, but it will give you solid framerates on "good" settings for the time being.

The 760 Ti is an OEM-only rebrand of the 670.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-760ti-oem/specifications

You can build a better one yourself for less.

I have no idea what I'm doing and have $ to spend currently, so I'd like for it to be prepped out of the box ideally.

How odd. Their website says 760Ti. It's the premium model, here: http://dell.to/1rFxUKJ

kiyomi

Computex is going on right now.

Are there any sites doing good summaries?
Every tech site in the OP will be doing something, tbh you might be better served looking at the Overclock.net forums, the Hardware News section, where people will post the more interesting hardware announcements if that's what you're after.

AnAngryPillock

Neo Member
I have no idea what I'm doing and have $ to spend currently, so I'd like for it to be prepped out of the box ideally.

How odd. Their website says 760Ti. It's the premium model, here: http://dell.to/1rFxUKJ

It's incredibly easy. I built my first one last October and it was much easier than I thought it would be. Just look at some of the videos on Youtube like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Q8ksRI1Eo and you'll be good to go. You can put the money that you save into a 780 Ti.

Tablo

Damn the ROG Impact VII they just announced at Computex looks freaking awesome, 20Gpbs M.2 :DDD
But apparently it's a Q3 release...after my summer...NOOOOOO. That frankly sucks.

tarheel91

Alienware is a rip-off even for pre-builts.

Go here:

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gamer-Paladin-D897

Change the case to a Corsair 230T and change the videocard to a GB 770 Superclocked and you've got a MUCH better computer for the same price.

Alternatively, you could drop down to a Radeon R7 240 and buy the R9 290 being sold on here for $330 and have an even better graphics card for cheaper.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

It's not bad, but with so many ITX and mATX cases out with great hardware it's not nearly as good a value option as it was 1-2 years ago.

It looks like the best value/reliability drive right now.
I need a few more reviews of the 128GB and 256GB model in comparison and of course there's more news / product coming in the next week that hasn't been reviewed yet.
Ooooh, I am SO ready to pull the trigger on my Haswell Refresh Mini-ITX Z97 build with the annoucnement of this:
Damn the ROG Impact VII they just announced at Computex looks freaking awesome, 20Gpbs M.2 :DDD
But apparently it's a Q3 release...after my summer...NOOOOOO. That frankly sucks.

IT LOOKS... beautiful...DAT MINI-ITX Maximus VII Impact:
ASUS%20ROG%20Maximus%20VII%20Impact%20Gaming%20Motherboard_575px.jpg

which is said to improve on the Maximum VI Impact: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_IMPACT/

DEAR GOD. ASUS really is king of the high quality Enthusiast PC Market, their quality motherboards always get me really excited to be a PC Gamer. (Who remembers the ASUS MARS 760?) jaja

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Corsair's new bracket/heatsink for mounting their hydro coolers to GPUs sounds interesting, theyre claiming some pretty great temp reduction numbers. Have a spare H100 lying around might have to give it a shot.

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/co...0_unleashes_your_gpus_hidden_performance.html
HAHAHAHA NOT LIKE THE KRAKEN G10 GPU ASETEK WATER TO GPU COOLER AT ALL NO SIR
People don't know that exist and that it's $30 so Corsair will smash the shit out of NZXT there.

Actually if the blower blows on some kind of heatsink and not just bare metal it's a better deal since it covers VRM1 and VRM2 of the 290 which is exactly what you want and saves you money buying custom parts (although better).

I promised myself I wouldn't do this, but how do I know if getting another stock gtx 670 2gb would be worth it?

I usually see that problems with games arise from sli setups but if I could get another 670 for cheap, would it be worth it?

Does it help in vram issues like in watch dogs?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Does this look like a good build? http://pcpartpicker.com/b/WymG3C

I'm going to go for 8GB of RAM instead of 4GB, but other than that is there anything that seems off? It seems like what I would want and the price is good.
i5-4460 for Haswell refresh. I don't even remember if those work on H81. What a week.
Don't see anything horribly wrong with build, but would put in VP450 instead.
I promised myself I wouldn't do this, but how do I know if getting another stock gtx 670 3gb would be worth it?

I usually see that problems with games arise from sli setups but if I could get another 670 for cheap, would it be worth it?

Does it help in vram issues like in watch dogs?
VRAM does not add so no
Also no

Unless you buy my GB 670. Then yes.

Aaaand I just looked at the pricing on the current Z87 Maximus VI Impact Mini-ITX board, $230 USD?

Um, wow, someone give me just ONE reason I need the next Z97 MAximum VII Impact (I'm aiming for Devil's Canyon and Broadwell a few years down the line), because one reason... is all I need to pull that trigger once that new Devil's Canyon hits stores.

golem

HAHAHAHA NOT LIKE THE KRAKEN G10 GPU ASETEK WATER TO GPU COOLER AT ALL NO SIR
People don't know that exist and that it's $30 so Corsair will smash the shit out of NZXT there.

Actually if the blower blows on some kind of heatsink and not just bare metal it's a better deal since it covers VRM1 and VRM2 of the 290 which is exactly what you want and saves you money buying custom parts (although better).

Yeah one of the Corsair guys tells me they actually should have better performance than my EK waterblocks because their bracket is microskived and have 4x the cooling fins (copper)

kiyomi

Aaaand I just looked at the pricing on the current Z87 Maximus VI Impact Mini-ITX board, $230 USD?

Um, wow, someone give me just ONE reason I need the next Z97 MAximum VII Impact (I'm aiming for Devil's Canyon and Broadwell a few years down the line), because one reason... is all I need to pull that trigger once that new Devil's Canyon hits stores.
We don't know if Z87 will support Broadwell AFAIK, even though they will be the same socket. Z97 might be different in very minor ways that makes Broadwell incompatible on Z87.

Also M2 support etc.

Regarding the MX100s, they're nothing out of this world, just a good solid replacement for the M500 line which has been steadily coming down over the past few months.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeah one of the Corsair guys tells me they actually should have better performance than my EK waterblocks because their bracket is microskived and have 4x the cooling fins (copper)
I just bought a
actually now two
290's, a GELID VRM sink kit, and 16 RAM chip heatsinks, and a NZXT G10 so this is bad news for me.

At least my temps will be better, but it really shouldn't matter at all except it'll be a PITA to remove :(
Maybe I'll do a comparison
for that website I don't have up yet

Anyone have an IR temperature gun I can borrow?
Can't decide between an R9 290 or a GTX 780 for my next built. Any thoughts?
Depends how much you like nVidia features. You can get a used 290 with a GOOD cooler WITH a 1.5-2.5yr warranty (ASUS, MSI, GB) for $320 which is absolute insanity. This is why I bought two (for less than that ;) and am going to flip the worse one (or keep it for a few months, it's not going to lose value).
Will the BitFenix Prodigy with everything under the "Enthusiast" label handle anything I throw at it?
Different people have different expectations for what that means, but IMO yes.

Anything at 1440p and a mix of High/Ultra should be great.

appaws

Banned
Please don't post that.
Playing 3 games at high sensitivity is in no way a review.

My bad. Usually Techreport is can't miss. Now I see that this was the first career review done by the owner's teenage kid....

What is the mx100?

Is there a good blog or website to keep up with gaming PC news?

Techreport, Anandtech, and PC Perspective are the best, IMO.
Techreport and PC Per also have excellent podcasts.

This thread should spawn a podcast. MKenyon, Hazaro, Kharma, and Smokey....I choose YOU!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
My bad. Usually Techreport is can't miss. Now I see that this was the first career review done by the owner's teenage kid....

Techreport, Anandtech, and PC Perspective are the best, IMO.
Techreport and PC Per also have excellent podcasts.

This thread should spawn a podcast. MKenyon, Hazaro, Kharma, and Smokey....I choose YOU!
And Kennah for Canada and LordAlu for... whatever EU country he's in.

I mean either way we're just gonna make fun of Smokey the whole time.

TheD

The Detective
As expected. Just a pity the 4690K didn't get the same treatment. ( ._.)

Yeah, seems kind of odd that they did not give it the same stock clock increase (I am assuming that the i5 gets all the other stuff, including the new power capacitors and TIM).

So does anyone have an answer to my cooling issue on the previous page?
It's okay to quote your own post for new page. Makes it easier for us to answer your questions.

Back to your question, I actually own this board. Plug your case fans into the case fan slots and your CPU fans into the CPU slots. The case fans can be 3-pin PWM controlled. The CPU fans won't be. You'll want a 4-pin PWM fan in order for the CPU fan connectors to function properly. You should also know that the H100i doesn't come with PWM fans.

kiyomi

There's no benefit on the i5 apart from the caps and TIM and the 0.1 GHz increase on clock?

Basically. We don't know how well it overclocks yet.

Hexus have the first "review" of the 4790K, but they didn't/couldn't overclock; http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/70473-intel-core-i7-4790k-devils-canyon-22nm-haswell/

It is reasonable to assume that overclocking plays a big part in considering this processor. However, our engineering sample exhibited unexpectedly poor overclocking potential, barely stable at an all-core 4.4GHz. We're awaiting retail samples before doling out advice on just how high the average Core i7-4790K is likely to go: stay tuned for that.

A word or two about temperatures: Intel says it is to use the same processor-in-box (PIB) cooler for this chip as for the 4770K. We used just such a heatsink during regular testing and found that, due to the extra power consumption generated by higher voltages, the Core i7-4790K ran hotter, at an average of 88C, compared to 78C for the older Haswell processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom