• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Look!

1.jpg

I'll need 4 of these in August.

Is it a bad idea to just buy a preassembled rig from ibuypower.com? I can't even assemble a piece of IKEA furniture without fucking it up, so I'm terrified of handling $1200+ worth of PC gear.

Is it a bad idea to just buy a preassembled rig from ibuypower.com? I can't even assemble a piece of IKEA furniture without fucking it up, so I'm terrified of handling $1200+ worth of PC gear.

The only problem most people have with pre-made is the exorbitant pricing. If you're willing to pay the premium there isn't anything inherently wrong with pre-made. Occasionally they'll bundle some questionable parts though.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
That white PCB looks TERRIBLE with that scheme
Honestly, based on conversations with motherboard vendors, Devil's Canyon headroom is only 100-200 MHz over the base Haswell parts, so don't expect to reach 6.0 GHz all of the sudden.
why live
Look!

1.jpg

I'll need 4 of these in August.
The pins look the same noooooooo

AnAngryPillock

Neo Member
It's okay to quote your own post for new page. Makes it easier for us to answer your questions.

Back to your question, I actually own this board. Plug your case fans into the case fan slots and your CPU fans into the CPU slots. The case fans can be 3-pin PWM controlled. The CPU fans won't be. You'll want a 4-pin PWM fan in order for the CPU fan connectors to function properly. You should also know that the H100i doesn't come with PWM fans.

Okay, thanks I'll do that next time. The H105 has PWM fans but I think the pump is only 3 pin. The other issue is that I don't think an H105 will fit in my case (Thermaltake Chaser A41). It has space for a 240mm radiator, but I think the H105 is way too thick.

Kalm

I have the Brown switch version and love it. Great kb.

It's $64.99 @ Amazon right now too.

Have you ever used red switches before, mate? I know a lot of people swear by them but I had a Corsair K65 with reds and returned it after a week because it felt really sloppy. It didn't feel worth the move to a mechanical kb, to be honest.

No, this is the first time using a mechanical keyboard, what do the switches do exactly and why are they important?

kiyomi

Anyone have any experience or knowledge on the Dell P2314H? I read this review of the 2414H and it sounds great, PWM free etc. Anyone know if the 23 is similar? No reason for it not to be right?

Smokey

No, this is the first time using a mechanical keyboard, what do the switches do exactly and why are they important?

They each have different feedback and a sound to them. I have a brown and blue switch mechanical keyboard. I use the brown for gaming and blue for typing. The blues are incredible in that aspect. You feel like a typing wizard, but they are really loud. Browns are softer , but still provide good feedback. Haven't used a red switch mechanical keyboard yet.

Lunar15

Question for veteran PCGAF: I'm ready to build my second computer, but I'm unsure if I should wait for the fall (Black Friday/Holiday Deals) to build it. Are the deals significantly better around that time, or are discounts pretty evenly spread out throughout the year that I could start hunting now?

I only ask because I'm getting incredibly impatient!

Question for veteran PCGAF: I'm ready to build my second computer, but I'm unsure if I should wait for the fall (Black Friday/Holiday Deals) to build it. Are the deals significantly better around that time, or are discounts pretty evenly spread out throughout the year that I could start hunting now?

Just build when you need it. Right now there's some decent deals and while BF is great for storage, SSDs are really cheap ATM anyways and unless you're waiting for Haswell-E I don't see any reason to wait.

riflen

PC components don't tend to get discounted at those times. Black Friday is about consumer electronics, which is a different segment. I'm in Europe though, so what do I know? =)

Lunar15

Just build when you need it. Right now there's some decent deals and while BF is great for storage, SSDs are really cheap ATM anyways and unless you're waiting for Haswell-E I don't see any reason to wait.

Will the release of Haswell-E drop the price of older models? I'm good on storage and RAM, mainly just looking for processor, mobo, and graphics card as I want to jump from AMD to Intel.

Kalm

The OP in the kb thread has a quick and dirty breakdown of each switch. LINK.

Brown switches are the most balanced and usually a safe bet for multi-purpose rigs.

It's probably a good idea to visit a shop that carries keyboards and try them out for yourself.

scogoth

They each have different feedback and a sound to them. I have a brown and blue switch mechanical keyboard. I use the brown for gaming and blue for typing. The blues are incredible in that aspect. You feel like a typing wizard, but they are really loud. Browns are softer , but still provide good feedback. Haven't used a red switch mechanical keyboard yet.

Red is like falling down onto the softest bed the world has every known.

But fuck comfort, real men use blue. If you don't wake up the neighbourhood then you aren't typing right.

Oooooooh, I was on the fence with the M500, but with the MX100 I can finally motivate myself to get a new SSD.

Having to transfer everything though....ugh.

riflen

Will the release of Haswell-E drop the price of older models? I'm good on storage and RAM, mainly just looking for processor, mobo, and graphics card as I want to jump from AMD to Intel.

No, prices on Ivy-E and Sandy-E will not drop. They are still almost the same as they were at launch.
Haswell-E is not what you want, unless you want to have to sell your existing RAM and spend >$1000 for the parts you list. It's the enthusiast 6 and 8 core line with DDR4 memory support. Its release will not affect the prices of the normal Haswell desktop line.

I think you might understandably be confusing Haswell-E with Haswell refresh and/or Haswell K refresh (aka Devil's Canyon). Haswell refresh are available now and I understand Devil's Canyon CPUs are meant to be available July. The release probably wont affect prices of current Haswell CPUs much either.
From PCPer:

"In fact, there are two Devil's Canyon processors being launched this month. The Core i7-4790K will sell for $339, the same price as the Core i7-4770K, while the Core i5-4690K will sell for $242."

Nah, I would just buy now.

Can anyone tell me what exactly is the difference here? Other than a PS2 port and they made the sound card shorter.

Impact VI

Impact VII

Not that the Impact VI had much that needed improvement, but come on ASUS, give me a reason to spend more money.

Yo where is the Ranger? I haven't seen it anywhere other than some reviews...

kiyomi

Can anyone tell me what exactly is the difference here? Other than a PS2 port and they made the sound card shorter.

Impact VI

Impact VII

Not that the Impact VI had much that needed improvement, but come on ASUS, give me a reason to spend more money.

the pcie slot is black, megaton

scogoth

GAF I just built: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/sincover/saved/NqbwrH

My i-7 920 build gave me many good years, but was starting to show it's age. This is my first new build since 2008-2009 and I'm hoping it lasts just as long as 920.

I haven't bought the video card yet. Are prices likely to come down in the near future or should I just pull the trigger now?

Prices could drop a little after Devil's Canyon is released (probably only $10 or so). That being said you might want to wait for devil's canyon to see if overclocking is any better. If you can't wait change the NH-D14 to a Hyper-212 or something cheaper. The 4770k will hit its "heatwall" long before the NH-D14 is at cooling capacity unless you delid your CPU.

EDIT: didn't fully read your post =P GPU prices are stable right now, all the new GPUs have been pushed back into late late 2014 or 2015

Impact VI

Impact VII

Impact VII is Z97 chipset which is future proof for Devil's Canyon, and Broadwell down the line. It'll give you more longevity.

Prices could drop a little after Devil's Canyon is released (probably only $10 or so). That being said you might want to wait for devil's canyon to see if overclocking is any better. If you can't wait change the NH-D14 to a Hyper-212 or something cheaper. The 4770k will hit its "heatwall" long before the NH-D14 is at cooling capacity unless you delid your CPU.

EDIT: didn't fully read your post =P GPU prices are stable right now, all the new GPUs have been pushed back into late late 2014 or 2015

de-lid your CPU?

BlackJace

So my ASUS M4A87TD mobo crapped out on me after a mere 2.5 years. It refuses to POST. I was then told it would make more sense to replace it rather than getting it repaired.

I have an AMD Phenom II X6, and am looking for suggestions for a replacement for the ASUS mobo. I'm looking to not spend more than 90 or so bucks..

I was currently eyeing the GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3P as well.

Should I trust ASUS again after this relatively quick failure?

sal0713

Neo Member
So i been wanting to get a 2nd r9 270 , I was wondering if i buy a r9 270 from ebay used for mining would it be worth lets say 63 bucks? I'm thinking of upgrading early next year.

kennah

So my ASUS M4A87TD mobo crapped out on me after a mere 2.5 years. It refuses to POST. I was then told it would make more sense to replace it rather than getting it repaired.

I have an AMD Phenom II X6, and am looking for suggestions for a replacement for the ASUS mobo. I'm looking to not spend more than 90 or so bucks..

I was currently eyeing the GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3P as well.

Should I trust ASUS again after this relatively quick failure?

Or you could send the Asus back to them to be fixed for free?

BlackJace

Or you could send the Asus back to them to be fixed for free?

I think my warranty or whatever has expired. I remember sending it back to them when the problem first started happening. Then sent it back saying that it "passed". Then the guy was like, "your warranty seems to expire at the end of May".

Damn, wish Smokey had posted that tomorrow. Had to buy a textbook which is some absurd campus specific version because fuckstudents so that was 200 gone. Is Nvidia likely to announce anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom