• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cse

Banned
I'm interested in the whole CPU upgrade scene at the moment, too.

I currently have an i7 950. I take it it's worth upgrading now, but what to?

You're better off than me. At least you could throw in a decent GPU and still play some of the latest games at decent settings.

I'm running a Core 2 Quad Q9300 (2.5 Ghz) from 2007. It's a bottleneck for anything more powerful than a GTX 660 (I'm currently using a single GTX 650 Ti, non boost).

I'm more than ready for an upgrade. I was waiting for this fall because I thought Broadwell and Maxwell would both be out before the end of the year. Regardless, I'm still planning to build a new machine soon....although if the 5820k is going to retail for under $500, I think I may just wait....

Cse

Banned
4790k is out? How is the TIM

The first upgrade is a new thermal interface material (TIM), which Intel is stating as a ‘next-generation polymer’. This would inevitably imply that the base material is silicone monomer, unless Intel has decided to do something fancy with a carbon-polymer based suspension. With this in mind, users looking to delid their CPUs might see a material the same color as the normal Haswell CPUs, but Intel is stating that this is a new material. One could estimate that another 5-15C shift might occur, allowing those CPUs that were temperature limited to get another 100-200 MHz than they would under the old system. However the issue regarding the height of the heatspreader above the die due to the binding agent has not been mentioned, which would lead me to suggest that it might not have been changed. Until we get a sample in house to test we will not know for sure, but I could perhaps hope that the amount of TIM under the heatspreader has also increased in order to facilitate heat transfer.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8079/intel-launches-devils-canyon-and-overclockable-pentium-i74790k-i54690k-and-g3258

Durante

Should one wait for a hexacore Haswell-E, or go for a 4790k right now?

A few users are hitting 5.0 Ghz on air at 1.4v with the 4790k, meaning with a proper cooling system, hitting ~5.3 Ghz should be more than feasible.

Would it be worth it though to wait for the 6 core Haswell-E processors?

I've been waiting for 7 years to build a new PC, so I don't mind waiting a few more months if I need to.
It depends on how much you want to spend, and if you'd like to keep your system again for 7 years. If the latter is the case and your budget permits it, I'd go with Haswell-E.

LilJoka

It depends on how much you want to spend, and if you'd like to keep your system again for 7 years. If the latter is the case and your budget permits it, I'd go with Haswell-E.

Issue with Haswell E will probably be DDR4 prices, id say a year after launch they maybe deflated.

mkenyon

Banned
Hey guys the HAF 912 is still a totally all right case, right
Yeah, but there's generally better options in the same price range.
So I'm looking for a new laptop. Is this computer:
http://www.xoticpc.com/lenovo-thinkpad-edge-e431-62775gu-p-7092.html?wconfigure=yes with everything the default except with 12 gb of ram a good deal for a gaming laptop, or can I do better?
Ask these folks. Unfortunately, a lot of information in terms of parts doesn't cross translate between desktops and laptops. The latter definitely requires intimate knowledge of the whole thing to get a good idea of performance.

jimmypop

Banned
If there is a God of PC Parts, He/She/It is surely killing kittens for this post.

I'm OK with that. I paid my dues with custom cooling when cooling wasn't kids play and de-lidding was de rigeur. Now I'm living the good life and using my PC instead of dicking with it all the time.

(... but I've already got a shopping list ready for a custom loop...)

Hollycat

Ask these folks. Unfortunately, a lot of information in terms of parts doesn't cross translate between desktops and laptops. The latter definitely requires intimate knowledge of the whole thing to get a good idea of performance.

Thanks, I'll ask in that thread.

So, I've spent the better part of the day researching how to build a gaming PC - something I have never done before, mind you.

I'm convinced that I'll fuck something up along the way. As such, I just want to buy a pre-made, all-in-one gaming PC. Something that can handle just about anything I throw at it at a smooth 60 fps and 1080p. I'll also be playing on a 50in TV ideally, if that matters.

Any suggestions would be really helpful. Do I go with Alienware, Origin, Millenium, or something else?

Any particular models in mind?

Thanks!

(Budget is about $2000 for this)

kharma45

So, I've spent the better part of the day researching how to build a gaming PC - something I have never done before, mind you.

I'm convinced that I'll fuck something up along the way. As such, I just want to buy a pre-made, all-in-one gaming PC. Something that can handle just about anything I throw at it at a smooth 60 fps and 1080p. I'll also be playing on a 50in TV ideally, if that matters.

Any suggestions would be really helpful. Do I go with Alienware, Origin, Millenium, or something else?

Thanks!

Where do you live? Might have a gaffer near you who might build it.

Hmmm. I'm driving through Chicago in two weeks.

41DDG6BRYSL.jpg

jett

D-Member

Could you recommend some? And what makes them better?

Air 240, mATX case:
Carbide%20Air%20Series%20240_3D-render_bk.png

The Air 240 with mATX should be the standard equipment for a $900-1500 gaming build, IMO.

Any idea on how much smaller this could be versus the Air 540?
As it supports mATX an ITX, long GPUs AND 240 rads, could it be about the size of an Bitfenix Prodigy?
AIRvsBlack.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
There's a lot of new stuff coming in, but I probably won't put it in the OP right away since I like to wait for user impressions.
http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/in...4690k_devils_canyon_quad_core_processors.html

Delicious

It's about that time. Leaning closer and closer to going with this guy instead of Haswell-E.
Well I'd hope so it's clocked at fucking 4Ghz. Basically fluff.
One report on OC numbers said it didn't do anything.

I'm not that hopeful anymore. I'd rather have a 2C/4T unlocked part.
Haz you finally spending some money I see ya !

lol haz pls
Not really, it's a sidegrade with no cost except like $100.
290's were both under $250
Hey guys the HAF 912 is still a totally all right case, right
Well it's not getting any prettier, but yeah it's a good case.

I hate the look of the Air 540.

Hate it.

It isn't a real beauty, but there are way worse cases out there haha. Also the only case I know of except the Parvum Systems (250$ with no fans pre-installed where I live, fuck that) with 2 chambers, one for the the board, the other one for the PSU+HDDs.

kennah

So do you guys think this is worth the price? I've never owned an SSD and am also wondering if it has a shorter life cycle than an HDD.

Shorter life cycle was only a problem with the first gen drives. Modern ones are good for like 127 years.

But wait for the MX100 to shake things up.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Shorter life cycle was only a problem with the first gen drives. Modern ones are good for like 127 years.

But wait for the MX100 to shake things up.
No need to wait
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148819

But I'm not sure I'd put it in against the Sandisk yet. It's probably 100% fine and I'm being stupid about the write speeds on the 128GB models since I had the 120GB Intel didn't notice shit going to a 250GB EVO so might as well save $15.

SSD reliability even on these 16nm units is not a concern. We are talking 10 years at 20GB/day and only heavy users will hit that amount. Far far better than an HDD and SSD prices/storage will come down so much it doesn't matter.

mkenyon

Banned
Could you recommend some? And what makes them better?
Pretty much the stuff from the OP. CoolerMaster N400, Corsair 200R, NZXT H230, BitFenix Comrade, Fractal Core 3300. They all have updated features in comparison, generally run more quiet, and don't look like they fell off a truck and got ran over by an Uglymobile.
I hate the look of the Air 540.

Hate it.
You say that, but you should have seen Cooler Master's competing product prototype. Yeeeeesh.

Gumbie

Thanks!

www.ironsidecomputers.com

You can pick out all your parts and the build it for you. You can pay a little extra and they'll make youtube video before they ship it showing it booting up and going over all the parts in it.

https://www.youtube.com/user/IronsideComputers

I've never used them but I have friends who have and they've all said they are really easy and great to work with.

Akai__

Cross post from the TechSupport Thread, because it happened again (REFERENCE_BY_POINTER):

How do I analyze Blue Screens? I've never done this before. :/

I got 4 Blue Screens in the last 24 hours and one of them said 0x18: REFERENCE_BY_POINTER and an other one said BAD_POOL_HEADER. I couldn't see the other 2, because I wasn't in the room and only saw the Blue Screen from the distance.

Any help would be appreciated.

Haven't installed anything latetly, except 4GB DDR3 RAM ~5 days ago. I have run Memtest and no errors, too. I also looked up the two errors and they are both driver related, if I understood that correctly.

That is objectively worse. Looks like a teenager's wet dream from the late 90s.

*edit*

Actually looks like the second compartment is big enough for 240mm rads:

That color scheme reminds me of a Parvums Titanfall Mod.
Doesn't look that bad tbh.

Code:
[IMG]http://twimages.vr-zone.net/2014/06/atlas_1.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.pcper.com/news/General-T...Compact-Gaming-Desktop-and-ROG-GR5-Gaming-Con

i7 with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780. It is designed to be quiet, with expected noise at around 23-25 dbA (it is unclear whether this is measured idle or under load).[actually 21db at idle and 28 at load, according to a german site]
While it has two fans, it also uses "natural convection" cooling, a process which uses the excess heat to make hot air rise, which is replaced by cool air that cools the components.

Yup, the PC cools itself with the air motion caused by its own heat.

More like cook itself with an 780 and an i7 in there, ehh?

Cool case tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom