• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't figure out why my w8 has an excruciatingly slow boot once I get into the OS. I'm talking things like apps being unresponsive. For example once I get into the desktop, it takes a good 1m until I can launch Chrome.

I've defragged, run chkdsk, and done general cleaning utilities. I recently upped my page file, which seemed low, and that helped a little bit. Maybe shaved about 15-20 seconds off.

I have a WD black 1TB

EDIT:
Once that's done though, my system runs perfectly fine. Games load great, things run smoothly, etc.

I like it, and it's not a bad size either:

air540air240_zpsdf6eb783.png
Uuuh, smexy. Thanks for that photo.
Welp, all those new mATX and mITX cases ain't making it easier to decide which case to get in summer/fall..

Nope. Way too crammed for my liking, and not enough direct airflow. It's good, but not quite as powerful.
true, I don't like the measurements of the 804.
Well that's not unlike the Mac Pro trash cans. And those come with Xeons and decent video cards. They also run for $3000 though, up to nearly $7000.

No idea about Notebooks, even less about MacBooks, but I wouldn't use them for anything else than browsing and stuff like MS WORD or iTunes.
Then again, I'm not going to spend half the price of a car for a "Pro"book.
It's a shame they look so gorgeous

mkenyon

Banned
Direct airflow= direct noise
I suppose.

But who I see the Air 540 catering to is the super high end air cooler crowd that need good airflow for their 2-3 video cards. The other people would be like myself, water coolers. I have two 280mm rads and my fans are spinning at ~600 RPM most of the time, never exceeding 800 RPM. The amount of hardware you can fit in that footprint is just amazing. The huge space in the back allows for mounting a reservoir/pump, or just doing a half assed job at cable management and having it come out perfect.

The Node can do a lot of that, but not nearly as easily. After doing a countless number of builds, ease of use is becoming more and more important to me.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Everyone who is not Phanteks should just quit now.

Here are the first pictures of Phanteks' attempt at an enthusiast micro-ATX case. It may be a micro-ATX case, but at 260 mm x 480 mm x 550 mm (WxDxH), it is nearly as big as an ATX mid-tower. The extra room is used not for additional expansion slots (making it an ATX case), but room for additional drives, or water-cooling components. It carries over much of its styling and utility features over from the Enthoo Prime, the full-tower that catapulted Phanteks to the top of the list of interesting case designers to look out for. Among its most notable features are dust filters for all fan intakes, intakes supporting large (>140 mm) fans, room for large 280 x 140 mm radiators, and room for as many drives as a mid-tower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1nPVLuWFNo

If the Pro is $90, this will probably be $80? I would buy this instantly if moving cases over wasn't a complete pain.

vSyrMzO.png

Zaru

Wait a fucking second... if my motherboard (Gigabyte H87-HD3) doesn't come with the latest BIOS update on board (which I fear might be the case even though I just bought it new), can it even use the Xeon 1231v3? How am I even supposed to update it without a normal Haswell processor in that case?

www.ironsidecomputers.com

You can pick out all your parts and the build it for you. You can pay a little extra and they'll make youtube video before they ship it showing it booting up and going over all the parts in it.

https://www.youtube.com/user/IronsideComputers

I've never used them but I have friends who have and they've all said they are really easy and great to work with.

Thanks so much for this! This is what I was thinking:

yVWEf5T.png

Would you have any other recommendations for a PC noob? lol

mkenyon

Banned
There is a GAFer in Chicago who has offered to build for folks. Or take Kennah up on his offer.

If you want a place that you can just return it to, I understand. But you get a *lot* more for your money at that price point.

Wait a fucking second... if my motherboard (Gigabyte H87-HD3) doesn't come with the latest BIOS update on board (which I fear might be the case even though I just bought it new), can it even use the Xeon 1231v3? How am I even supposed to update it without a normal Haswell processor in that case?

DL on USB or a disk and update?
Not sure though, I' a noob when it's about BIOS. At least that what should work with any newer mainboards.

Zaru

DL on USB or a disk and update?

How can you update a motherboard without a compatible CPU? It wouldn't even boot.

My SN starts with 1410 which supposedly means 10th week of 2014, I hope that's new enough to get the new BIOS since the whole thing was announced in February...

You need a proc in it in order to get into BIOS to update it though. I'd contact Gigabyte.

How can you update a motherboard without a compatible CPU? It wouldn't even boot.

My SN starts with 1410 which supposedly means 10th week of 2014, I hope that's new enough to get the new BIOS since the whole thing was announced in February...

Afaik there are some (maybe many?) mainboards that let you update via a bootdisk/USB without any CPU installed. ASUS at least offers some boards that do that.

The RoG series is about it, AFAIK.

Mhm could be about right there.
I just know for sure that with some it works, as a friend of mine used my notebook to DL a newer BIOS version on his USB and updated his BIOS, with nothing installed but his PSU and the board itself.
Don't ask me which board though.

// Just found this:

http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/usb_bios_flashback_guide/

No idea if something like this is available for the Gigabyte one.

Water

No idea about Notebooks, even less about MacBooks, but I wouldn't use them for anything else than browsing and stuff like MS WORD or iTunes.
Then again, I'm not going to spend half the price of a car for a "Pro"book.
Mac Pros are not Macbooks/laptops/notebooks.

kharma45

yVWEf5T.png

Would you have any other recommendations for a PC noob? lol

Get a 4770K, and get their free 10% overclock added.

Change to a Z87 motherboard, like the Asus Z87-A.

Add the Hyper 212 CPU cooler.

Do you really need the DVD writer?

Query what that 700w unit is before doing anything to ensure it's not some piece of junk.

Wouldn't go for that case either.

$2088 on the dot for this
Gold Series
Intel Core i7 4770K

Case - Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 (Mid Tower)
Intel Processor - Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz (Quad Core)
CPU Cooling - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
Intel Motherboard - [SLI / x-fire] ASUS Z87-A [4 DDR3 Memory Slots]
Overclocking Processor - [FREE] Overclock Processor up to 10%
Memory - 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz
Primary Hard Drive - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD Read: 540MB/s Write: 520MB/s
Secondary Hard Drive - 2TB 7200 RPM
Optical Drive - None
Graphics Card - Nvidia Geforce GTX 780 3GB (Min. 650 Watt Power Supply)
Power Supply - [Modular] Corsair RM Series RM850 850 Watt 80 Plus Gold
Operating System - Windows 8.1 64 Bit
Packaging - [FREE] Advanced Packaging System - Custom foam to protect and secure internal components from shipping abuse
Wiring - [FREE] Professional Wiring - Cables will be organized to achieve maximum airflow
Technical Support - Life-time U.S. Based Technical Support
Rush Service - Shipped Out in 10 - 15 Business Days
Video Demonstration - None
Warranty - Standard 3 Years Parts and 3 Years Labor

If you wanted to build yourself however this is what you'd get just for comparisons sake ;) Also note there is a new revised Core i7 on the way very soon. Well worth the wait. SSD in this btw should be the Crucial MX100, not the M500. New model doesn't show up in PCPartPicker yet, but they're the same price.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($333.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($142.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($133.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($81.97 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($479.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout with Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($87.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1579.73
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-03 17:43 EDT-0400)

I'm just curious, is there anything in the 150€ / 150$ price range
(€ prices are almost 1:1, maybe even 1,5:1 with tax here..)
that would be as good or better than a LG Flatron W2361V ?
21,5" - 23", 1080p, 60hz.

Wounded

So, upgrading from an i7 950 where would be the best place to go? Thinking of going for something from the Devil's Canyon line, but is it better to wait and get something from intel later this year with more cores?

I really have no idea.

Zaru

Asus X79 board all have USB BIOS Flashback, however to update from SB-E BIOS to IVY-E BIOS you still need a CPU installed.

Sadly that doesn't help me since I have a Gigabyte board, all I can do is pray that it already has the new BIOS on it and works somehow, otherwise I'll lose a lot of time, nerves and money sending that shit back and getting it replaced with something that works

vareon

GAF, a friend of mine is selling his 1TB SSHD relatively cheap for me. Are SSHDs worth it for gaming? My plan is to buy an SSD next month but an extra storage would help.

Edit: googled it and it doesn't seem so....

LilJoka

Sadly that doesn't help me since I have a Gigabyte board, all I can do is pray that it already has the new BIOS on it and works somehow, otherwise I'll lose a lot of time, nerves and money sending that shit back and getting it replaced with something that works

If the BIOS chip isnt removable you may have to send the board to Gigabyte, thats if they will do it for you though. One of the best things about Asrock is that their boards mostly have removable chips and you can get pre-programmed ones from them or ebay.

Zaru

If the BIOS chip isnt removable you may have to send the board to Gigabyte, thats if they will do it for you though. One of the best things about Asrock is that their boards mostly have removable chips and you can get pre-programmed ones from them or ebay.

No, if it comes down to incompatibility, I'm more likely to get a refund and buy a similarly priced board that is compatible out of the box. I'm not going to deal with that sort of shit, it will take ages.

Ok. Some explanation.... I have had blue screens of death a couple times a week since I had the PC I am using built a couple years ago. These always occur when I am multitasking in some way.

I could not really worry about it since I was a full time college student, and I just learned to save often.

Now they are accelerating to 4-5 times a day. I am almost certain that it is a hardware problem since it has persisted through at least 5 windows reinstalls over the last few years.

What is most likely the issue do you think? I am thinking of upgrading my box, and I figure I may as well fix whatever is most likely causing the issue while I am at it.

bobeth

Ok. Some explanation.... I have had blue screens of death a couple times a week since I had the PC I am using built a couple years ago. These always occur when I am multitasking in some way.

I could not really worry about it since I was a full time college student, and I just learned to save often.

Now they are accelerating to 4-5 times a day. I am almost certain that it is a hardware problem since it has persisted through at least 5 windows reinstalls over the last few years.

What is most likely the issue do you think? I am thinking of upgrading my box, and I figure I may as well fix whatever is most likely causing the issue while I am at it.
Could be bad RAM. Have you tried running memtest86+?

kennah

No, if it comes down to incompatibility, I'm more likely to get a refund and buy a similarly priced board that is compatible out of the box. I'm not going to deal with that sort of shit, it will take ages.
Just take it to a local shop and offer them like $10 or something to update the bios for you. Many would do it for free.

Zaru

Just take it to a local shop and offer them like $10 or something to update the bios for you. Many would do it for free.

I don't know what kind of shops you know, but I can't think of any that would put in a Haswell processor (messing around with thermal paste), connect the whole thing to a PSU, graphics card and screen, and update the drivers... for free, or anything less than a business hourly rate.

Is it the memory management BSOD?

kennah

I don't know what kind of shops you know, but I can't think of any that would put in a Haswell processor (messing around with thermal paste), connect the whole thing to a PSU, graphics card and screen, and update the drivers... for free, or anything less than a business hourly rate.
Many would do it as a gesture of goodwill to get future business. Pretty much any shop will have all of that stuff within easy access for testing/loading. And you don't need fresh paste on something to update a BIOS.

M3z_

What's up with hiding PSU's in enthusiast cases? Buy a pretty PSU for your show rigs, there are nice looking PSU's out there.

How does this sound for a stock trading build (six monitors, no gaming).

Intel Core i3-4330 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor $134.98
Stock Cooler $0.00
Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $124.98
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $79.99
Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $70.13
EVGA GeForce GT 610 1GB Video Card $44.99
NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $37.99
Antec 450W ATX Power Supply $34.99
TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $38.57

Total: $656.60

Josman

Seriously what's the best/ most balanced 2TB HDD for gaming right now? I was told to stay away from Seagate as they have a high failure rate and losing all my data sounds like a nightmare, so far I know this:

-WD blue 1TB: I could go for this one, cheap, reliable, relatively fast and doesn't consume much power. The thing is that I'll probably need more space since games are so heavy nowadays.

-WD green 2TB: very cheap, reliable, but is it that slow for gaming?

-WD Black 2TB: I'm told it's very reliable (5 years warranty), faster, but I've heard it's very loud, consumes more power, and it's very expensive.

Smokey

From B/S/T thread:

WTS

2x EVGA GTX 780Tis. Still under warranty. I still have the original boxes (excuse the SSD):

I will also throw in a download code for Watch_Dogs

Pricing:

1x 780ti + Watch_Dogs - $560 ($550 + $10 shipping) SOLD
1x 780ti + Watch_Dogs - $560

Paypal please. I am a good seller, have done plenty of business here over the years. If you have any questions, please PM me.

I have one GTX 780Ti left. Sorry not trying to spam, but cross posting in here has gotten me quite a few hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom