• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Look!

1.jpg

I'll need 4 of these in August.
But what about the other 4 memory slots?

*edit* damn double post.

@Smokey - Might think about returning those Titan Blacks:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_780_strix_6_gb_graphics_card_review,1.html

You could buy three of those for two Titans.

Spat_triate

Prices could drop a little after Devil's Canyon is released (probably only $10 or so). That being said you might want to wait for devil's canyon to see if overclocking is any better. If you can't wait change the NH-D14 to a Hyper-212 or something cheaper. The 4770k will hit its "heatwall" long before the NH-D14 is at cooling capacity unless you delid your CPU.

EDIT: didn't fully read your post =P GPU prices are stable right now, all the new GPUs have been pushed back into late late 2014 or 2015

Thanks. You're right, the D14 is overkill. I noticed that during stress testing the cpu temp never raises above 70-ish deg. (4.3 Ghz @ 1.25V). I guess I could push to 1.3-1.35V to see if I have one of the 'lucky' 10% of 4770ks that can reach 4.8.

I won't be delidding though. Shit looks too risky, and I ain't trying to fuck up and lose $300.

mkenyon

Banned
I love this snippet from TechReport's Devil's Canyon preview:

If the frequency headroom is decent on these, I expect we could see a rash of budget gaming builds based on them. Although newer games often take advantage of four cores or threads pretty well, per-thread performance is kinda like displacement in American car engines: there's no replacement for it. Two fast Haswell cores could anchor a really sweet gaming rig. Sadly, though, the Pentium G3258 isn't a Devil's Canyon part, so folks may wind up de-lidding them in order to exploit their full potential.
So true.

http://techreport.com/news/26544/intel-intros-devil-canyon-pentium-anniversary-overclockable-cpus
Thanks. You're right, the D14 is overkill. I noticed that during stress testing the cpu temp never raises above 70-ish deg. (4.3 Ghz @ 1.25V). I guess I could push to 1.3-1.35V to see if I have one of the 'lucky' 10% of 4770ks that can reach 4.8.

I won't be delidding though. Shit looks too risky, and I ain't trying to fuck up and lose $300.
It's only risky if you do the razor method. The hammer and vice has a zero error chance so far out of user polls.

We make fun because he gets to make decisions that all of us want to, but can't. Classic defense mechanism.

Air 240, mATX case:

Graphite 380T, ITX case:

The Air 240 with mATX should be the standard equipment for a $900-1500 gaming build, IMO.

That air 240 is a good idea. Hope it's out soon

jimmypop

Banned
HAHAHAHA NOT LIKE THE KRAKEN G10 GPU ASETEK WATER TO GPU COOLER AT ALL NO SIR
People don't know that exist and that it's $30 so Corsair will smash the shit out of NZXT there.

Actually if the blower blows on some kind of heatsink and not just bare metal it's a better deal since it covers VRM1 and VRM2 of the 290 which is exactly what you want and saves you money buying custom parts (although better).

I'm too lazy for a custom loop these days. I'll buy 2 H80i's and wedge them into my case with these for my two 780 Tis.

Smokey

mkenyon

Banned
Reading the review now. Definitely a nice card, but doesn't that design go against Tri-SLI? This is an area I'll be exploring once I can get off the Z68 platform.
If you had a case that wasn't the Air 540, I'd say yes. But the amount of direct airflow possible in that thing is fucking ridiculous. You can even dremel/jigsaw out the bottom and install a 240mm grill for two more fans if you want.
Is this for real? Are these upgrades or full versions? Legit CD keys?
Yes it is for real. The upgrades are listed as such, but upgrades can be used for a full install.
I'm too lazy for a custom loop these days. I'll buy 2 H80i's and wedge them into my case with these for my two 780 Tis.
If there is a God of PC Parts, He/She/It is surely killing kittens for this post.

Smokey

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/in...4690k_devils_canyon_quad_core_processors.html

According to Intel’s internal testing, the Core i7-4790K offers around 291 per cent improvement over a 5-year old PC which has an Intel Core 2 Quad processor Q9650. As compared to the Sandy Bridge flagship – Intel Core i7-2700K, the Devil’s Canyon offers between 30 to 60 per cent improvement. We can only confirm these numbers after putting the Core i7-4790K through a thorough review of course. The Intel Core i7-4790K will be priced at $339. Intel Core i5-4690K will be priced at $242.

Delicious

It's about that time. Leaning closer and closer to going with this guy instead of Haswell-E.

mkenyon

Banned
With the rumors of the 5820K and 5930K both being 6 cores, I'd say Haswell-E doesn't make a whole lot of sense for gamers at this point.

I wouldn't hesitate one bit. Just make sure you get a motherboard with a PLX chip. You're one of the few people I'd push that on.

Smokey

With the rumors of the 5820K and 5930K both being 6 cores, I'd say Haswell-E doesn't make a whole lot of sense for gamers at this point.

I wouldn't hesitate one bit. Just make sure you get a motherboard with a PLX chip. You're one of the few people I'd push that on.

Speaking of Haswell-E

Sneak peek EVGA X99

EVGA-X99-Motherboard.jpg

Look at the size of the CPU socket

DSN2K

how can I get audio to come out of HDMI + Speakers in Windows 8 ? I'm using a soundbar above my TV what I have plugged into the PC as well but the issue is I still want audio to come out of the TV.

mkenyon

Banned
how can I get audio to come out of HDMI + Speakers in Windows 8 ? I'm using a soundbar above my TV what I have plugged into the PC as well but the issue is I still want audio to come out of the TV.
Not sure if you can do that. You'd need two devices to be processing audio, your onboard (speakers), and the video card (HDMI).

DSN2K

Not sure if you can do that. You'd need two devices to be processing audio, your onboard (speakers), and the video card (HDMI).

got it working!! had to do listening trick with the Stereo Mixer. HDMI is now playing back whatever the speakers play.

mkenyon

Banned
Looks like the Rival has a new... Rival?

Slide48.jpg

Slide50.jpg

Optical sensor (wooooo!), nice looking grip, and the switches are replaceable. Rad. Definitely going to have to try this one out.

Durante

But what about the other 4 memory slots?
I'm not made of money :(
But this way I can upgrade to 64 GB down the line.

Why? Depending on price and overclockability, the 5820K in particular could be a decent deal if you want to build a system for the (really) long term.

Speaking of Haswell-E

Sneak peek EVGA X99

EVGA-X99-Motherboard.jpg

Look at the size of the CPU socket
That's what I'm talking about!

mkenyon

Banned
Why? Depending on price and overclockability, the 5820K in particular could be a decent deal if you want to build a system for the (really) long term.
Rumors have the 5820K only supporting 24 PCI-E lanes, and it has crazy low clock speeds out of the box. All three chips do, which makes me think that they're having trouble getting good bins. For gaming, a 5 GHz 4790K would be much better than a 4-4.5 GHz 5820K.
Should i change my FX 8350 with a new i7 4' gen or the 8350 is still good for gaming? My vga is an r9 290 tri-x OC.
If you have the money, yeah. It'll help out your minimum frame rate quite a bit. It would not be as noticeable as doing something like adding a second video card, but it will give you a platform that will get more out of upgrades in the future.

Willectro

Banned
Just picked up a Noctua NH-D15 to cool a 4770k on a Sabertooth Z87. I'll probably install it tonight, but it's looking like I may have to remove the spreader(s) from my Vengeance ram to get everything to fit. But I'll likely see if there's a way to avoid this but still install both fans (this is wishful thinking). Everything I've read suggests that spreaders on ram are almost useless in 99% of cases.

Learn from my mistakes: buy low profile ram!

Durante

Rumors have the 5820K only supporting 24 PCI-E lanes, and it has crazy low clock speeds out of the box. All three chips do, which makes me think that they're having trouble getting good bins. For gaming, a 5 GHz 4790K would be much better than a 4-4.5 GHz 5820K.
Well, that line of thought depends on if you consider multi-GPU gaming desirable. If not, the PCIe lanes are easily sufficient, and I believe for future (as in, say, 2017) CPU-heavy games you'll be set up much better with e.g. a 4.2 GHz 5820K than a 5 GHz 4790K. And for current and past ones, the serial performance of either one suffices.

So, if you can afford it and want to only do major (that is more than a GPU replacement) changes to your build as rarely as possible it seems reasonable enough to me. At least that's my thinking.

Of course, we still need to see how they OC. I think it will be a matter of cooling, much more so than for the mainstream chips.

mkenyon

Banned
Well, that line of thought depends on if you consider multi-GPU gaming desirable. If not, the PCIe lanes are easily sufficient, and I believe for future (as in, say, 2017) CPU-heavy games you'll be set up much better with e.g. a 4.2 GHz 5820K than a 5 GHz 4790K. And for current and past ones, the serial performance of either one suffices.

So, if you can afford it and want to only do major (that is more than a GPU replacement) changes to your build as rarely as possible it seems reasonable enough to me. At least that's my thinking.

Of course, we still need to see how they OC. I think it will be a matter of cooling, much more so than for the mainstream chips.
Yeah, reviews will definitely tell the whole story. Though Ivy-E definitely had a pretty hard top limit. It's rare to get chips that push above 4.6ish reliably, even with a proper loop.
Trying to dial in on which Z97 I'll be getting for my DC. I wish the damn Ranger actually existed...
The choices in the OP are pretty damn good ones.

riflen

If you have the money, yeah. It'll help out your minimum frame rate quite a bit. It would not be as noticeable as doing something like adding a second video card, but it will give you a platform that will get more out of upgrades in the future.

According to preliminaries, you'll be very lucky to get 5Ghz. PCPer:
"Honestly, based on conversations with motherboard vendors, Devil's Canyon headroom is only 100-200 MHz over the base Haswell parts, so don't expect to reach 6.0 GHz all of the sudden."

So will there be anything Nvidia related at Computex?

Where's my magic 8 ball?

Durante

Yeah, reviews will definitely tell the whole story. Though Ivy-E definitely had a pretty hard top limit. It's rare to get chips that push above 4.6ish reliably, even with a proper loop.
If I can get >=4.2 on high-end air (e.g. NH-D14) I'll be happy.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
The new i7 sure is getting a lot of love.

The i5 only getting 100MHz with an increased 4 watts make me think that processor will run pretty hot compared to the Haswell i5.

mkenyon

Banned
The new i7 sure is getting a lot of love.

The i5 only getting 100MHz with an increased 4 watts make me think that processor will run pretty hot compared to the Haswell i5.
No way, unless you're talking about delidded processors. Even then, they've added a number of capacitors in addition to the new TIM that (supposedly) solved the heatwall issues. So better heat transfer on the actual die, and exponentially better heat transfer from the die to the heat spreader. It's without a doubt going to run much cooler.

Similar to the current one, with an additional $20-30.

Unless you're set out to do a build that focuses on aesthetics as a major aspect of it, the Formula is pretty silly.

I kinda wanna switch it up anyways, been using Asus long enough and don't wanna ever have to RMA to them again. Their website and service sucks.

Cse

Banned
Should one wait for a hexacore Haswell-E, or go for a 4790k right now?

A few users are hitting 5.0 Ghz on air at 1.4v with the 4790k, meaning with a proper cooling system, hitting ~5.3 Ghz should be more than feasible.

Would it be worth it though to wait for the 6 core Haswell-E processors?

I've been waiting for 7 years to build a new PC, so I don't mind waiting a few more months if I need to.

mkenyon

Banned
We were discussing that on this very page, and the short answer is: hard to tell at this point.

The 5820K system will undoubtedly be much more expensive. You'll have DDR4 as well as motherboards that start around $230, and are more like $300 for a good feature set.

I have a few friends that are set to upgrade, and were waiting for Haswell-E. They're all jumping on Devil's Canyon instead, and I don't think that they are wrong in doing so. As of right now, with all the games that are out, it seems like it'd be a better gaming platform. In 3+ years? Who knows.

maneil99

A few users are hitting 5.0 Ghz on air at 1.4v with the 4790k, meaning with a proper cooling system, hitting ~5.3 Ghz should be more than feasible.

I've been waiting for 7 years to build a new PC, so I don't mind waiting a few more months if I need to.
4790k is out? How is the TIM

riflen

Users with an unreleased CPU? Surely those numbers have to be taken with a fist-full of salt.

Wounded

I'm interested in the whole CPU upgrade scene at the moment, too.

I currently have an i7 950. I take it it's worth upgrading now, but what to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom