• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Seriously what's the best/ most balanced 2TB HDD for gaming right now? I was told to stay away from Seagate as they have a high failure rate and losing all my data sounds like a nightmare, so far I know this:

-WD blue 1TB: I could go for this one, cheap, reliable, relatively fast and doesn't consume much power. The thing is that I'll probably need more space since games are so heavy nowadays.

-WD green 2TB: very cheap, reliable, but is it that slow for gaming?

-WD Black 2TB: I'm told it's very reliable (5 years warranty), faster, but I've heard it's very loud, consumes more power, and it's very expensive.
Everything is shittttttttttttttt
I'd probably just buy a 2TB Green and have a good backup. Games are mostly optimized for large reads and anything that would be an issue won't matter that much (say Green vs Blue = 120MB/s vs 140MB/s) compared to an SSD imo.
Not getting into access times.
Fair enough, but even that new NZXT case that everyone loves hides the PSU by simply covering it.
Optional if you don't have super nice $80-$200 cables. :p

M3z_

Custom Cooled R9 290's for less than GTX 770's

PC Parts US48 & Paypal only

Seagate 240 GB SSD $80

Kingston 120GB SSD $50

3Ypc4lHl.jpg

x3 R9 290 Asus DirectCU II $310 *No mining & Original Box*

ePiJJv9l.jpg

BY9nxC3l.jpg

Yea unfortunately. Though if you can get memtest86 to run I'm sure that's a less painful way to do it.

I am trying to figure that out right now.

Here is some info on my setup right now. It is a few years old:
AMD FX-Series FX-8150 3.6GHz
8GB Ram
Blu-Ray Player & DVDRW Combo Drive
AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB PCI Express Graphics
AMD 970 Chipset

So do you think this is even worth upgrading? Or should I start from scratch?

I am trying to figure that out right now.

8GB Ram
AMD 970 Chipset

I really don't know enough about AMD hardware to answer but there's some in this thread that can definitely tell you. If you can isolate the problem though you may be able to salvage some parts and keep the price of your build down

JackHerer

Circumstances are such that I can finally build my dream PC. I want a 4K gaming rig!!

The question: is now a good time to build this or should I wait 6 month to a year for newer hardware? Is there anything on the horizon as far as upcoming GPU/CPUs go that would be worth waiting for or should I just jump in now with the option of upgrading later?

I have my eye on the recently announced Acer 4k monitor with G-Sync. The goal would be to have a machine capable of running most games at the highest settings (minus anti-aliasing) in 4K at as close to 60 FPS as possible. Am I crazy? What would I need to accomplish this?

Right now I'm thinking at least two, maybe three, SLI Titan Blacks for the GPU would get the job done. I will be selling my current PC to cover some of the cost unless some of the components are still up to snuff for the new 4K rig.

scogoth

Would someone explain to be what this mining thing is please

Mining (actually hash calculations) to earn cyrptocurrencies, eg Bitcoin. GPUs (specifically AMD GPUs) are highly parallel and thus suited for this kind of task. This had an effect of bumping up AMD prices. Also used AMD cards that were used for mining are going to have a lot more wear on them then a regular GPU.

Mining (actually hash calculations) to earn cyrptocurrencies, eg Bitcoin. GPUs (specifically AMD GPUs) are highly parallel and thus suited for this kind of task. This had an effect of bumping up AMD prices. Also used AMD cards that were used for mining are going to have a lot more wear on them then a regular GPU.
Dude all that was way over my head lol

scogoth

Circumstances are such that I can finally build my dream PC. I want a 4K gaming rig!!

The question: is now a good time to build this or should I wait 6 month to a year for newer hardware? Is there anything on the horizon as far as upcoming GPU/CPUs go that would be worth waiting for or should I just jump in now with the option of upgrading later?

I have my eye on the recently announced Acer 4k monitor with G-Sync. The goal would be to have a machine capable of running most games at the highest settings (minus anti-aliasing) in 4K at as close to 60 FPS as possible. Am I crazy? What would I need to accomplish this?

Right now I'm thinking at least two, maybe three, SLI Titan Blacks for the GPU would get the job done. I will be selling my current PC to cover some of the cost unless some of the components are still up to snuff for the new 4K rig.

Haswell-E, need to wait for reviews of motherboards and stuff. 4x Titan Blacks, 128GB DDR4 RAM, triple 4K sync screens, full custom water loop, full custom sleeved cables, grab a 512GB M.2 SSD + a few 1 TB SSDs in RAID 0, maybe do something cool like the Lian desk case, I like lights mkenyon doesn't and an Aquaero.

Missing anything guys?

For real whats the approximate budget for the dream build? Do you want all power or power and looks (looks get pricey)? Do you want to venture down the rabbit hole that is water cooling (water gets very pricey)?

Smokey

Step into my office Jack

First off new hardware is always coming, you just need to decide when to jump.

You'll want at least 4GB of VRAM for 4k. I'm currently running with 3 and I'm always in the high 2GB - low 3GB.

Cpu wise wait for Devils Canyon CPUs. Should be here by end of July.

JackHerer

Haswell-E, need to wait for reviews of motherboards and stuff. 4x Titan Blacks, 128GB DDR4 RAM, triple 4K sync screens, full custom water loop, full custom sleeved cables, grab a 512GB M.2 SSD + a few 1 TB SSDs in RAID 0, maybe do something cool like the Lian desk case, I like lights mkenyon doesn't and an Aquaero.

Missing anything guys?

For real whats the approximate budget for the dream build? Do you want all power or power and looks (looks get pricey)? Do you want to venture down the rabbit hole that is water cooling (water gets very pricey)?

Maybe ~$10,000 not including the monitors. I will spare no expense when building it. The primary goal is power, looks are not nearly as important. I would like it to be designed with future upgrades in mind as well so that I don't have to worry about building a new PC for quite a while. Water cooling seems like a necessity with this kind of rig, no? All SSD storage a possibility.

So the Haswell-E is looking like that significant of an improvement? Good to know. I am determined to build this. I just wanna make sure it is done right so that I'm not regretting any decisions about it in a year or two. I'm pretty excited.

Step into my office Jack

First off new hardware is always coming, you just need to decide when to jump.

You'll want at least 4GB of VRAM for 4k. I'm currently running with 3 and I'm always in the high 2GB - low 3GB.

Cpu wise wait for Devils Canyon CPUs. Should be here by end of July.

Yeah this is how I view it. I just wanna make sure I'm not missing the boat on anything too amazing. I can always upgrade in the future but I want what I build now to be sufficient for my purposes for the next couple of years at least.

8GB Ram
AMD 970 Chipset

Anyone have thoughts on this?

ElyrionX

If I want to run games at 1440p, does it mean that I should definitely go for the higher VRAM variants of the card I am looking at? (Ie. 4GB GTX 760 instead of 2GB)

Any word on when the next gen cards will arrive?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I am not educated enough to have expectations... My budget is around 1k
Just drop in a 290 and make sure your PSU can handle it and an overclocked FX CPU( yours).
If I want to run games at 1440p, does it mean that I should definitely go for the higher VRAM variants of the card I am looking at? (Ie. 4GB GTX 760 instead of 2GB)

4GB 760 is bad idea. Just get a 290 or a 3GB nVidia card. Forget planned dates, but they keep shifting back too.
Maybe ~$10,000 not including the monitors. I will spare no expense when building it. The primary goal is power, looks are not nearly as important. I would like it to be designed with future upgrades in mind as well so that I don't have to worry about building a new PC for quite a while. Water cooling seems like a necessity with this kind of rig, no? All SSD storage a possibility.

So the Haswell-E is looking like that significant of an improvement? Good to know. I am determined to build this. I just wanna make sure it is done right so that I'm not regretting any decisions about it in a year or two. I'm pretty excited.
You comfortable putting together water yourself and spending a lot of time tinkering? A tri-card loop is a good amount of setup.
I would say just go 3x 780Ti 6GB on air (Honestly I'd probably just stop at 2) or use the HG10 / G10 water AIO and Haswell-E on AIO water for CPU. All SSD for storage.

Maybe someone else can step in who has spent a lot here.

M3z_

I definitely would not recommend gtx 760 of any vram capacity for 1440p, you should be looking at gtx 780, gtx 780ti, r9 290. or r9 290x.

789shadow

Banned
Since the primary impetus for me wanting to build a gaming PC is so that I can shove about 500 mods up Skyrim's ass, how would a system similar to the "Great" build in the OP perform at running Skyrim with some pretty intensive graphical mods?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Since the primary impetus for me wanting to build a gaming PC is so that I can shove about 500 mods up Skyrim's ass, how would a system similar to the "Great" build in the OP perform at running Skyrim with some pretty intensive graphical mods?
Get a 280 or 280X and you'll be fine.

Just drop in a 290 and make sure your PSU can handle it and an overclocked FX CPU( yours).

My Powersupply is 700w. I will look into a 290...

I know I need a SSD as my main upgrade, but I figure I may as well do some other upgrades while I am at it.

You can do a really great fresh build for about 1K - plus get a little bit of cash back selling your old system.

1k is the very high end. I would prefer to pay less.

You can put a good 3gb videocard in there (if your PSU can handke it) and be good for a couple more years. That'll get you time to save up for a killer build...

Would 700w be enough?

Orayn

Can anyone recommend a case that's very quiet with its stock fans? The noise from my current setup is really bothering me even with these supposedly quiet SickleFlow 2000 RPM fans I recently got, so I'm about ready to drop money on a new case and retire my Antec P180. My cooling needs are an HD 7870, an i5 2500k at stock speeds, a standard ATX motherboard, and three 3.5" hard drives.

Price range is up to $150 or so, I guess.

ElyrionX

4GB 760 is bad idea. Just get a 290 or a 3GB nVidia card. Forget planned dates, but they keep shifting back

I definitely would not recommend gtx 760 of any vram capacity for 1440p, you should be looking at gtx 780, gtx 780ti, r9 290. or r9 290x.

Just to get a bit of context here. I am primarily looking at maxing out 1440p 60fps at max settings for Dota 2 which is a relatively less demanding game. For other games, I am content to run them at medium settings or perhaps even lower to get 45-60fps at 1440p. With that in mind, should I still go for the 780? Or will the 760 suffice?

Willectro

Banned
Had to remove 1 heat spreader from the ram to install the Noctua DH-N15, but it was worth it, what an amazing cooler. Everything about it seems quality.

On the other hand, I'm starting to think ram heat spreaders are a scam. There's almost no way these work other than acting as a heat sink in a very tiny capacity. Corsair Vengeance heat spreaders are attached with what seems like 2 sided tape.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Would 700w be enough?
It will if it's a name brand.
Can anyone recommend a case that's very quiet with its stock fans? The noise from my current setup is really bothering me even with these supposedly quiet SickleFlow 2000 RPM fans I recently got, so I'm about ready to drop money on a new case and retire my Antec P180. My cooling needs are an HD 7870, an i5 2500k at stock speeds, a standard ATX motherboard, and three 3.5" hard drives.

Price range is up to $150 or so, I guess.
R4?
The Enthoo Pro / Mini XL are coming out soon and look sooooooooooo good though.
2000RPM anything isn't going to be quiet, can you just buy a PWM controller and run them at 800-1200RPM instead? New case seems excessive unless you want something else.
Just to get a bit of context here. I am primarily looking at maxing out 1440p 60fps at max settings for Dota 2 which is a relatively less demanding game. For other games, I am content to run them at medium settings or perhaps even lower to get 45-60fps at 1440p. With that in mind, should I still go for the 780? Or will the 760 suffice?
You can wait a few days and buy my 670 for a good price :D (2 years left on transferable warranty). Faster than a 760 too.
Had to remove 1 heat spreader from the ram to install the Noctua DH-N15, but it was worth it, what an amazing cooler. Everything about it seems quality.

On the other hand, I'm starting to think ram heat spreaders are a scam. There's almost no way these work other than acting as a heat sink in a very tiny capacity. Corsair Vengeance heat spreaders are attached with what seems like 2 sided tape.
RAM heatsinks do absolutely nothing except look neat or get in the way.
#magicram4lyfe

For Skyrim, get an Nvidia card. ENB's developer uses strictly Nvidia cards, so he doesn't pay attention to bugs that are AMD-specific. Due to the hacky nature of that mod, bugs happen relatively often. You'll run into much fewer issues on an Nvidia GPU.

It seemed to be working fine on my 290 last I checked, though.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
For Skyrim, get an Nvidia card. ENB's developer uses strictly Nvidia cards, so he doesn't pay attention to bugs that are AMD-specific. Due to the hacky nature of that mod, bugs happen relatively often. You'll run into much fewer issues on an Nvidia GPU.

It seemed to be working fine on my 290 last I checked, though.
Good to know, but also bad since most nVidia owners probably have 2GB of VRAM.

Any things I should be looking out jumping to a 290?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'd check to see if it's unlockable when you get it.

Shoot for a model known to come with Hynix or Sammy vram. Elpida VRAM is fucked
I got two on the way and plan to keep one so we'll see how they do either way.
Don't plan on even attempting unlocking as benefits seem super minor and restricted to like batch 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom