• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Do you have any suggestions for a card not wildly more expensive than the one in the "Great" build?
If his 290 hasn't run into problems then the 280 and 280X shouldn't either. Just mentioning it in passing by, but if you want to run a ton of modes you really want a 3GB+ card which limits your nvidia options.

789shadow

Banned
If his 290 hasn't run into problems then the 280 and 280X shouldn't either. Just mentioning it in passing by, but if you want to run a ton of modes you really want a 3GB+ card which limits your nvidia options.
Well, not a whole ton. I think most Skyrim modders are running a whole lot more mods than I plan to, but if there's one area where I suppose I should go a little higher end than the rest of the stuff in the "Great" build, it's the graphics card.

Orayn

R4?
The Enthoo Pro / Mini XL are coming out soon and look sooooooooooo good though.
2000RPM anything isn't going to be quiet, can you just buy a PWM controller and run them at 800-1200RPM instead? New case seems excessive unless you want something else.

Forgot to add that my P180's pretty beaten up from having been moved from home to dorm/apartment/LAN stuff quite frequently in my high school and college years. (Had it since 2006.) I've kind of been looking for an excuse to replace it, and noise levels are one of the main things I was looking to improve on. So yeah, I'll definitely check out the Fractal R4. Is the XL R2 much different in terms of sound, or is it just a gigantic version of the R4?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Forgot to add that my P180's pretty beaten up from having been moved from home to dorm/apartment/LAN stuff quite frequently in my high school and college years. (Had it since 2006.) I've kind of been looking for an excuse to replace it, and noise levels are one of the main things I was looking to improve on. So yeah, I'll definitely check out the Fractal R4. Is the XL R2 much different in terms of sound, or is it just a gigantic version of the R4?
IDK they probably use the same fans. Anything larger than a mid-tower today I really can't condone unless you want to do a major water project or something. I am not the case guru.
The Enthoo's seriously look to be the best cases under $100 and they come with a fan PWM controller too so it's not a concern for fan noise.
Ah, I didn't get that far in the OCN threads (Owners / Unlock) to see that post. Guess I'll find out and will check the RAM when I take off the ref cooler (going to anyway) or run meminfo but that's no fun.
Still will probably leave it since it seems like a 1-4% boost really unless I get to tinkering.

I'll have to check OC power draw too since I'm only on a 750W Gold incase I want to run both OCd.

ElyrionX

You can wait a few days and buy my 670 for a good price :D (2 years left on transferable warranty). Faster than a 760 too.

Haha thanks Haz but I'll pass. I'm not from NA so shipping will be expensive. I am thinking of waiting for the next gen of cards anyway.

One last newbie question for the day. If I buy an SSD for my current system... is it fairly easy to then transfer and use it on a new rig I will build a year from now?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I am probably going to order the Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 120GB. I assume I will be fine with that as well?
If you click the image it takes you to the updated sheets.
Replaced the 840 120GB with the MX100 and Sandisk for now.

*Also I do the OP :p

If you click the image it takes you to the updated sheets.
Replaced the 840 120GB with the MX100 and Sandisk for now.

Oh. I see.

Ordered the MX100. I figure that if I can get the crashing issue worked out this PC probably has another year and a half in it with the SSD upgrade. If I can't fix the problem then I was probably going to buy the SSD anyways.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Oh. I see.

Ordered the MX100. I figure that if I can get the crashing issue worked out this PC probably has another year and a half in it with the SSD upgrade. If I can't fix the problem then I was probably going to buy the SSD anyways.
I would still replace your PSU as I would not want any system I know of running on that as well.

Only got 1 slot left? Stick a 500w GPU in it.

http://videocardz.com/50743/asus-announces-rog-ares-iii

i2DOCzY.gif

Thanks to kharma45 and LordAlu for their suggestions. I went through a few parts to see about alternates but pretty much kept everything as is except for the GPU and adding an optical drive. I may have to add a HDD as well now that I think about it, since I'll probably give my old computer to my wife.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor )
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB DirectCU II Video Card
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Total: $928.71
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-04 02:01 EDT-0400)

Any last minute adjustments or thoughts before I pull the trigger?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
How would one be able to tell if a PSU was causing issues?
Your PSU is crap so I'd replace it anyway. PSU's can often cause a lot of intermittent errors. So, too many things to say.
Thanks to kharma45 and LordAlu for their suggestions. I went through a few parts to see about alternates but pretty much kept everything as is except for the GPU and adding an optical drive. I may have to add a HDD as well now that I think about it, since I'll probably give my old computer to my wife.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor )
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB DirectCU II Video Card
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Total: $928.71
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-04 02:01 EDT-0400)

Any last minute adjustments or thoughts before I pull the trigger?
I'd get an MSI or GB 290 over the ASUS since I saw a pic that the HS doesn't cover the whole die.
If you wait a month DC should be out and may overclock better, that's it.
I assume that this scenario can't work if you have 1TB of data moving to one 256GB SSD and another 1TB.
Don't know if there are limitations for the included Acronis (of it is I just read some press release) but it can go up and down in size for installs or you can make a clone, trim, restore that clone, and keep data on the 1TB for example.

Your PSU is crap so I'd replace it anyway. PSU's can often cause a lot of intermittent errors. So, too many things to say.

Could it be the cause of my blue screens? .... or is that me just being overly optimistic?

(I ran the diagnostic for 3 hours and came up with no RAM errors.)

Desert_Turtle

Neo Member
]So far this is my first build:

i7-4770k 4th gen
Gigabyte GTX 770 GDDR5-2GB 2xDVI/HDMI/DP OC WINDFORCE 3X
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive
samsung evo 120gb ssd
CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
Antec BP550 Plus 550W ATX12V V2.3 Modular Power Supply
NZXT Phantom 410 Mid Tower USB 3.0 Gaming Case - White

Now all i need is a mobo, but I am having a real hard time.
Right now I am choosing between:

ASRock Z97 Extreme4 ATX Intel Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer ATX Intel Motherboard
ASUS Z97-PRO ATX Intel Motherboard
ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX Intel Motherboard

I don't do much gaming as many people do, I mostly play league and Dota 2 but occationally dive battlefield franchise and game that I find a good deal on.
If gaf can help me find a stuitable mobo with a nice price?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
]So far this is my first build:

i7-4770k 4th gen
samsung evo 120gb ssd

Now all i need is a mobo, but I am having a real hard time.
Right now I am choosing between:

ASRock Z97 Extreme4 ATX Intel Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer ATX Intel Motherboard
ASUS Z97-PRO ATX Intel Motherboard
ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX Intel Motherboard

I don't do much gaming as many people do, I mostly play league and Dota 2 but occationally dive battlefield franchise and game that I find a good deal on.
If gaf can help me find a stuitable mobo with a nice price?
Fill out OP bullet points

I'm OCing my CPU for the first time.

I haven't been able to get the PC to post anywhere past 4.2GHz with a i7-4770K.

Core voltage set to 1.20. I tried 4.3GHz and 1.275 and it didn't post. I'm afraid to go any higher. What should I do? I've seen people post fine at 4.6GHz @ 1.20.

Do I have a piece of shit cpu?

LilJoka

Core voltage set to 1.20. I tried 4.3GHz and 1.275 and it didn't post. I'm afraid to go any higher. What should I do? I've seen people post fine at 4.6GHz @ 1.20.

Set multiplier to x42
Set bclk to 100mhz
Set vcore to 1.25v
Set Load Line Calibration to High

What motherboard?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Bit of an outlier.
1.20 at 4.6Ghz is phenomenal. I'd set the benchmark to 1.275 @ 4.4Ghz

Read up a bit more on OC guides, there's more to it than Voltage, but usually all you need.
I'd actually say and use the built in OC tool to see what it gives you, you can always reset it.

Bit of an outlier.
1.20 at 4.6Ghz is phenomenal. I'd set the benchmark to 1.275 @ 4.4Ghz

Read up a bit more on OC guides, there's more to it than Voltage, but usually all you need.
I'd actually say and use the built in OC tool to see what it gives you, you can always reset it.

I can't get it to post at 4.3 at 1.275.

Here's a series of screenshots. All my settings are here. This is what I'm sitting at right now and it's stable. I had it at 4.2 @ 1.90 before but crashed after playing Dark Souls for about an hour so I bumped it up to 1.210

I'm hoping I didn't get a dud. I don't want to push the core voltage past 1.275 but I was hoping to get an OC of at least 4.4-4.6. :(

LilJoka

Start with a manual vcore of 1.25v not adaptive.

But like I said, you can use one of the BIOS presets to start with, I've had an excellent experience with them on the Asus top end boards as a start point.

Is cpu power up the automatic thing you're talking about? Tried that at 4.4 and it didn't post.

Also, 4.2 just crashed in the middle of a heaven benchmark.

Start with a manual vcore of 1.25v not adaptive.

But like I said, you can use one of the BIOS presets to start with, I've had an excellent experience with them on the Asus top end boards as a start point.

Tried your advice. 1.25v manual @ 4.4. Then upped to 1.275 and crash.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Tried your advice. 1.25v manual @ 4.4. Then upped to 1.275 and crash.
You need to be reading the CPU load voltage in Windows with CPU-Z, not just giving us the BIOS load voltage.

In Windows load a 1.30 setting can load you at 1.24V.
Test a manual voltage setting of 1.30 and see what load voltage you get in Windows (run a CPU stress) and then add or subtract from there to get to 1.27V for example.

Zaru

Update: The Gigabyte H87-HD3 with bios f6 from jan 2014 somehow recognized my xeon 1231v3. Applied the may bios f8 update anyway to be sure. Phew. Installing the OS now.

Desert_Turtle

Neo Member
Fill out OP bullet points

Shit sorry let me try that again.

right now I have a lenovo y510p

I would like to stay below $850 USD

This comp will be used for Video Editing, streaming games, Graphic Design work (adobe Photoshop, illustrator, in design), Programming,

my monitor will be a tv 1080p

i would want to play LOL and dota at max for sure but also would like to be able to go high-ultra on battlefield 4 and similar demanding games.

parts i have purchased :

i7-4770k 4th gen
samsung evo 120gb ssd

The part I am having trouble on is the mother board
don't know which one out of the z97 chipset I want and I am too indecisive.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Whatever fits in your budget.
The GB or ASrock Fatality at $150 is nice, the cheaper ASRocks are probably fine.
I'd swap in an MX100 or Sandisk at the 120GB point.
If you wait a month you get a good 10% free boost to CPU with a 4790K for same price.

770 isn't a great value card, I'd get a 760, 280/280x/290/780 instead.

If I could post to Windows any higher than 4.2 I would. :(

What stress test do you recommend?
Anything to load CPU, I use P95 Blend because OCCT is ugly and IBT is for crazy people.

Load into Windows at 4.0 then it's just to check voltage difference in BIOS vs Win load.
Update: The Gigabyte H87-HD3 with bios f6 from jan 2014 somehow recognized my xeon 1231v3. Applied the may bios f8 update anyway to be sure. Phew. Installing the OS now.
yay

LilJoka

If I could post to Windows any higher than 4.2 I would. :(

What stress test do you recommend?

Then set it to 4ghz with 1.25v manual vcore and load up prime95 v27.9 and check the load vcore in CPUz. The difference in vcore from bios to windows loaded is always the same as long as the load line calibration setting has not been changed, so I recommend setting this to High before you begin what I've said above.

DoctorZ

For people more in the know regarding video cards, upcoming and current...

I currently have a GTX 480, it runs hot and uses a lot of power. I don't plan to upgrade for a bit still as my 480 gets the job done just fine with most games.

But what should I be looking at if I want both a performance, heat, noise and power upgrade over a GTX 480. I'd guess my budget would be in the $150-200 range when I feel the need to upgrade. Are there any mid level cards coming out I should be keeping my eye on in the near future or price drops to current cards I should look out for?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
For people more in the know regarding video cards, upcoming and current...

I currently have a GTX 480, it runs hot and uses a lot of power. I don't plan to upgrade for a bit still as my 480 gets the job done just fine with most games.

But what should I be looking at if I want both a performance, heat, noise and power upgrade over a GTX 480. I'd guess my budget would be in the $150-200 range when I feel the need to upgrade. Are there any mid level cards coming out I should be keeping my eye on in the near future or price drops to current cards I should look out for?
Nothing coming out in that bracket tmk
You should buy my 670 :D
Otherwise 265 / 750Ti 2GB (maximum low power) / 270X / 280 / 760 if you can foot it.

I set it to 4.0 Manual VCore of 1.20. I did not mess with load line calibration because I don't know where to find the setting for it. I looked but didn't see.

Ran Prime95 for a minute or two and took these shots.

First is at idle. Second is w/ Prime95 running. Last three are screens of my UEFI settings.

LilJoka

I set it to 4.0 Manual VCore of 1.20. I did not mess with load line calibration because I don't know where to find the setting for it. I looked but didn't see.

Ran Prime95 for a minute or two and took these shots.

First is at idle. Second is w/ Prime95 running. Last three are screens of my UEFI settings.

Ok interesting, Asus has set the LLC to be High on Auto with a reasonable OC applied, so thats good for now. Now you know that the load vcore is going to be around the Vcore you have set in Bios you are better informed on what is going to happen when you set up in the BIOS. CPU VCore Load Line Calibration will be found in Digi+ Power Control menu.

So what happens at 4.3Ghz 1.25v?

Ok interesting, Asus has set the LLC to be High on Auto with a reasonable OC applied, so thats good for now. Now you know that the load vcore is going to be around the Vcore you have set in Bios you are better informed on what is going to happen when you set up in the BIOS. CPU VCore Load Line Calibration will be found in Digi+ Power Control menu.

So what happens at 4.3Ghz 1.25v?

It crashes.

Crashes at 1.275 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom