• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was water (air category).

quick, someone contact MSI's twitter!
iLI1wtasCBDoD.png

https://twitter.com/msiUSA
https://twitter.com/msitweets

LilJoka

Do miniITX builds require an after market cooler, if not I will go stock.

Nope you can run stock on any build. Only reason to buy aftermarket is for noise/performance. But im sure the stock fan will be fine with the Haswell Refresh chips.

On the 4790k overclocks ive seen so far, people have been pushing 1.3-1.4v, which is quite a lot considering the manufacturing process node, ideally a Vcore of less than 1.3 would be good. I think most chips may hit 4.4-4.5Ghz at 1.3v. Maybe even on a Hyper 212 if the TIM improvement is really that much. Otherwise Noctua D14 always works.

Right.

Would 5Ghz on Air be a reasonable expectation? Or would that require an aftermarket cooling solution?

Not that I'm going to get one anyway, lool. Skylake for me, barrin some catestrophic CPU requirements for 2015 games.

5ghz on air is pretty damn incredible unless you have an extremely good chip

Ventrue

My PC died so I am looking to buy a new one straight away. I don't plan to overlock, the main use for it will be playing high end games. My monitor is a 1680x1050.

Could someone take a quick look at this build and tell me if it is okay? I am keen on the case for mATX (as far as I can tell, everything fits) and as it's marketed as quiet. I mostly followed guides (the OP and some others). I couldn't find much advice on mATX mobos, so I just picked one that seemed not too cheap and had the Z97/87 label.

Intel 4th Generation Quad Core i5 4570 3.20GHz 6MB Cache LGA1150 CPU
8GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX Blue 1600Mhz CL9-9-9-27 (2x4GB)
ASRock Z97M-PRO4 LGA1150, 4xDDR3, PCIE, Int. Graphic, USB3.0, mATX
Leadtek GTX760-2GD5 GTX760 2GB DDR5 256-bit, 2xDVI, HDMI, DisplayPort
1TB 1000GB Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX SATA III 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM 64MB Cache
128GB 2.5" SanDisk Ultra Plus SATA III 6.0 Gb/s Solid State Disk (SSD)
Coolermaster Silencio 352 USB3.0 Black Micro ATX Tower Case
650W Antec TPC-650 True Classic 80+ Gold Power Supply 650W Antec TPC-650 True Classic 80+ Gold Power Supply

Thanks

TheD

The Detective
Check your anti-virus software too. IIRC, AVG had its default settings to scan my PC set at like 2-3AM, so I changed it to 10AM, when I'm not in the room.

I only have the basic version of Malwarebytes and that does not support scheduling scans.

James93

Hows CF support. I have one 7970 and after seeing how cheap you can grab one. I'm tempted to pick up a second one and make the jump to either 1440p or 1600p

scogoth

Is w8.1 enterprise worth buying over professional since it is cheaper?

Isn't Enterprise the whole shebang? Might as well.

Different licence scheme, MAK require internet activation through Microsoft against the company's purchased licence agreement and KMS need to activated against a KMS server. Either way not a good idea to use unless it is legitimately given to you by your company.

Tablo

Wooo ok my cousin's about ready to order parts for his first gaming PC!
We're going to be ordering the following parts:
Node 304 (Black)
Asus Z97I Plus
i3 4150
EVGA 750 Ti SC
Coolermaster VSM550
Crucial Ballistic 2x4GB 1866/CL9 RAM
Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
Windows 8.1 (from reddit, thanks for that tip off guys, good stuff)

Now if anyone could point me to some good Node 304 build guides, that'd be great, it shouldn't be hard, but I can't help feeling those "I'm going to be handling expensive components" flutters in my heart :p

Also I'm assuming the stock Intel cooler is fine for that i3 considering it'll be getting decent airflow even when under heavy load? The plan is to get a Broadwell K i7 in a year or so if he wants more performance.
I think I remember the Node 304 coming with 2 good case fans at the front, don't know if I should buy him another fan for the exhaust or something.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
EqoA5Lw.jpg

6rdDIMJ.png

I really need to stop doing things that are just flirting with the card since I can't put it in yet.
Wooo ok my cousin's about ready to order parts for his first gaming PC!

Also I'm assuming the stock Intel cooler is fine for that i3 considering it'll be getting decent airflow even when under heavy load? The plan is to get a Broadwell K i7 in a year or so if he wants more performance.
I think I remember the Node 304 coming with 2 good case fans at the front, don't know if I should buy him another fan for the exhaust or something.
Yeah stock will be fine. If it can fit another fan go for a quiet low RPM one.
What's the best operating system?
Whatever is cheapest. I'm a dino so I'll stick with 7 until I have to swap. For most 8.1 should be the way to go.

maneil99

From Hexus 4790k review
A word or two about temperatures: Intel says it is to use the same processor-in-box (PIB) cooler for this chip as for the 4770K. We used just such a heatsink during regular testing and found that, due to the extra power consumption generated by higher voltages, the Core i7-4790K ran hotter, at an average of 88C, compared to 78C for the older Haswell processor.

ES Chip (whatever that means)
t is reasonable to assume that overclocking plays a big part in considering this processor. However, our engineering sample exhibited unexpectedly poor overclocking potential, barely stable at an all-core 4.4GHz. We're awaiting retail samples before doling out advice on just how high the average Core i7-4790K is likely to go: stay tuned for that.

Moderator on Overclock.net
I'm having issues getting it to 4.8 GHz on water right now. Don't want to up the VCORE too much and burn it. I'm guessing the CPUs Intel had at the event were binned.

Also the air results from intel are actually under water .

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
From Hexus 4790k review

ES Chip (whatever that means)

Moderator on Overclock.net

Also the air results from intel are actually under water .
ES = Engineering Sample and usually clock like poop compared to retail, but not this poop.

I mean Intel is making a fuss about the product and if it doesn't deliver people will be upset but still buy it since it'll probably be slightly better at the same price.

Tablo

Oh well apparently the Node 304 has a good exhaust fan included, nice. Guess I'll hold off on fan upgrades for him initially.
How noisy is the stock Intel i3 fan?
Maybe I'll get him a good aftermarket one. Noctua L9i seems legit and cheap.

kennah

Oh well apparently the Node 304 has a good exhaust fan included, nice. Guess I'll hold off on fan upgrades for him initially.
How noisy is the stock Intel i3 fan?
Maybe I'll get him a good aftermarket one. Noctua L9i seems legit and cheap.
I have a stock fan in my living room Node. It isn't bad but noticeably the loudest thing in the case.

maneil99

ES = Engineering Sample and usually clock like poop compared to retail, but not this poop.

I mean Intel is making a fuss about the product and if it doesn't deliver people will be upset but still buy it since it'll probably be slightly better at the same price.

I just find it funny Intel classifies 'Water' as On Air because they use radiators that have fans lol.

jett

D-Member
Got a 6751 on the FireStrike demo... you know, I remember when these 3DMark things were pretty. This looks like ass and runs worse.

scogoth

I just find it funny Intel classifies 'Water' as On Air because they use radiators that have fans lol.

Its kinda true. The water doesn't cool anything, it just transports the heat to a larger surface so that it can dissipate the heat into the ambient air.

Hi guys, I just got a job which means that I'm gonna be able to save up some money for a PC! I've just started looking around and I found this Alienware PC (the $699 one): http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51-r2/pd.aspx#overrides=

I decided to see if I could build a similar one for cheaper so I looked up some parts. I was able to up it from an i3 to an i5 while keeping it around the same price. Can someone give me some feedback? Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: AMD 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($77.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.43 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 1GB Video Card ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Apex PC-375 ATX Mid Tower Case w/300W Power Supply ($46.99 @ Mwave)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Wired Network Adapter: Rosewill RC-400 10/100/1000 Mbps PCI Network Adapter ($12.98 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus USB-N10 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($14.99 @ Micro Center)
Case Fan: Aerocool Shark 96.5 CFM 140mm Fan ($12.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $690.33
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-05 01:46 EDT-0400)

Tablo

Best way to figure out what the heck is taking up so much space on my 180GB SSD running Windows 8.1 -_-

I swear it was 20gb free, goes to 9gb free. ???
I've run malwarebytes, nothing shows up.
My 50 GB OneDrive folder is on a separate HDD, unless maybe the Metro app is storing a duplicate 50 GB somewhere on my SSD and doesn't sync with the desktop app locally?
At a bit of a loss here.

Hi guys, I just got a job which means that I'm gonna be able to save up some money for a PC! I've just started looking around and I found this Alienware PC (the $699 one): http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51-r2/pd.aspx#overrides=

I decided to see if I could build a similar one for cheaper so I looked up some parts. I was able to up it from an i3 to an i5 while keeping it around the same price. Can someone give me some feedback? Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: AMD 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($77.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.43 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 1GB Video Card ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Apex PC-375 ATX Mid Tower Case w/300W Power Supply ($46.99 @ Mwave)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Wired Network Adapter: Rosewill RC-400 10/100/1000 Mbps PCI Network Adapter ($12.98 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus USB-N10 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($14.99 @ Micro Center)
Case Fan: Aerocool Shark 96.5 CFM 140mm Fan ($12.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $690.33
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-05 01:46 EDT-0400)

No need for a Z series mainboard if you go with a "non K" i5. These aren't made for OC.
I'd go with 2x4gig. Just because it's a tad higher (some %) increase than a single stick, and if one bits the grass, you still have one to work with hehe

Please go for an Western Digital HDD, Seagate is no good.

Do you really need the soundcard, the wired + wireless network adapter? You can just plug in an ethernet cable into any mainboard, and they also have a built in soundcard, you know?

Don't really need an additional case fan, but if you really want one, I'd go with something from Noctua. They have awesome fans.
Also, go with a GTX 750ti 2GB.The non-ti 1gig won't do the job for light gaming.

Best way to figure out what the heck is taking up so much space on my 180GB SSD running Windows 8.1 -_-

My 50 GB OneDrive folder is on a separate HDD, unless maybe the Metro app is storing a duplicate 50 GB somewhere on my SSD and doesn't sync with the desktop app locally?
At a bit of a loss here.

Some pages ago someone mentioned that SSDs save 10gigs of space for themselve, so that you don't go over 90% disk useage, which would reduce speed drastically. Might be the case here? Maybe it did that automatically?

At a bit of a loss here.

This program will tell you exactly what is taking up the space:

http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

Not sure if this is the right place to ask.
Below is my configuration, which is kinda bad, I know, but for the moment I'm thinking about replacing just my GPU with a Radeon R9 270. Do you think I will also need to change my PSU or I can keep this one?

ASRock 960GM-GS3 FX
AMD Athlon II X4 640
Radeon HD6570
Corsair XMS3 4GB
WD Caviar Blue 500GB
Antec VP450
I'm not quite sure, it states 18A on the 12V¹ , and 18A on the 12V². Tbh I'm not sure if this means a total of 36A on the 12V, or whatever. I'm confused with the 2 diff. 12V rails.

But if it's the case, you won't have a problem.
Best to wait for someone else to comment.

Well, I'm the super proud(and poorer) owner of the follwing gaming PC:

ASUS Z97-A
Intel Core i5 4670K with Coolermaster 412
Gigabyte Windforce R9 280X
Kingston 2X4GB DDR3 1600
XFX Pro 650W
Coolermaster HAF 912 (this thing looks really imposing in my actual room, thing's huge, my old PC looks kinda sad)

So, what do I now download to test this thing?

MemTest (for RAM)
Prime95 (for CPU)
Furmark (for GPU temps)
HeavenBenchmark (for GPU)

That's what I'd use.
Also, CPU-Z, GPU-Z and CoreTemp are helpful utilities.

I just died.
But will it run stable? Doubt so.

Tablo

Ok running that TreeSize thing.
Program Files: checks out, bout 91~ gigs with my games and the other program stuff.

pagefile.sys 12GB
hiberfil.sys 9GB <---Ok I'm pretty sure I disabled hibernation because I don't need it, how do I get rid of this guy.

Windows: 20GB
Users 13GB
Program Files 7GB
System Volume Information 6GB
ProgramData 3GB
ESD 3GB

Sarcasm

Yea even if you disable hibernation depending when you did that file will be there. I forgot how to maybe in safe mode or they secret admin user account.

Program Files: checks out, bout 91~ gigs with my games and the other program stuff.

pagefile.sys 12GB
hiberfil.sys 9GB <---Ok I'm pretty sure I disabled hibernation because I don't need it, how do I get rid of this guy.

Users 13GB
Program Files 7GB
ProgramData 3GB
ESD 3GB
http://blog.spamfighter.com/tips-an...hiberfil-sys-file-correct-slow-windows-7.html

So for turning off hibernation, the steps involved are:

Viewing Power Options where advanced power configurations are to be changed then extending Sleep followed with enabling Hibernate after.
Configuring the Setting (Minutes) for the Never option.
While enabling Allow Hybrid Sleep, configuring &#8216;Setting&#8217; to &#8216;Off.&#8217;
And finally, pressing &#8216;ENTER.

Now following deactivation of hibernation mode, the large hiberfil.sys file must be deleted. The steps involved are:

Clicking Start, going to Start Search box and typing in &#8216;cmd.&#8217;
Right-clicking on &#8216;Command Prompt&#8217; that&#8217;s obtained from the search outcomes, and subsequently hitting on &#8216;Run as Administrator.&#8217;
Whilst User Account Control prompts, clicking on Continue.
In Command Prompt field, typing in hibernate off/powercfg.exe followed with clicking OK alternatively, typing in powercfg.exe &#8211;h off followed with clicking OK.
Thereafter, typing in &#8216;exit&#8217; and clicking OK for removing the Command Prompt box.
Finally reboot your Computer.

So, since I still have a 64 GB Crucial M4 and with the new Crucial MX100 coming out, I am going to finally upgrade my SSD to a bigger size. There comes software with it to be able to migrate the current contents to the new one right?

But should I actually use that? I know that re installing Windows is probably preferred but I have a lot of stuff on my second drive and would need to borrow an external HDD as I don't have one. Besides that it would be a decent amount of effort. I use Windows 8.1 in case it is going to make a difference. Can re installing make a big difference?

lexi

Banned

pagefile.sys 12GB

Users 13GB
Program Files 7GB
ProgramData 3GB
ESD 3GB

Run command prompt as administrator

type

powercfg.exe -h off

Beaten terribly.

But will it run stable? Doubt so.

Until the actual retail chips are in the hands of average consumers we won't know exactly how well DC can OC. Those chips they're using are highly binned as I'm sure are the ones they send out to reviewers so I would take all of this stuff with a grain of salt.

Sickbean

I'd appreciate some advice with a niggling issue I've had with my PC since I built it a few years ago.

It's a P8P67 Pro with a 2500K CPU. From cold boot, it will have to POST three times and restart before it finally POSTs and then loads windows. It's not a massive thing, but it kind of defeats the object of having a fast SSD to load windows, as my boot time is like 90 seconds with these shenanigans.

Anyone else had something similar they've been able to solve?

Ok swag disabled Hibernate and got me 10~ gigs more. Fantastic, thanks bro!
No problem, learned something new today myself hehe

Until the actual retail chips are in the hands of average consumers we won't know exactly how well DC can OC. Those chips they're using are highly binned as I'm sure are the ones they send out to reviewers so I would take all of this stuff with a grain of salt.

That's what I expected. They won't ship some random chips to Computex, or reviewers. Might hurt their image, ehh..

I'd appreciate some advice with a niggling issue I've had with my PC since I built it a few years ago.

It's a P8P67 Pro with a 2500K CPU. From cold boot, it will have to POST three times and restart before it finally POSTs and then loads windows. It's not a massive thing, but it kind of defeats the object of having a fast SSD to load windows, as my boot time is like 90 seconds with these shenanigans.

Anyone else had something similar they've been able to solve?

Did you OC the 2500k?
Might be the problem. Sounds like it tries to boot with the OC settings, fails, and then boots with defaults.

Sickbean

Did you OC the 2500k?
Might be the problem. Sounds like it tries to boot with the OC settings, fails, and then boots with defaults.

Yeah it's overclocked - however once it does get into windows CPUZ reports the OC as successful. I do get an overclocking failed message in POST though, it's weird.

Hey guys, i know that this is a silly question a bit. I assembled my pc in september 2011. I'd like to upgrade it; is this a bad moment? Im not that expert about the releasing date of components and i don't know if some new releases are imminent. Thanks in andvance.

PS: Eventually i will post my rig and ask you advice :)

Addnan

Hey guys, i know that this is a silly question a bit. I assembled my pc in september 2011. I'd like to upgrade it; is this a bad moment? Im not that expert about the releasing date of components and i don't know if some new releases are imminent. Thanks in andvance.

PS: Eventually i will post my rig and ask you advice :)

No, there's rarely a wrong time to upgrade. Just depends on what you currently have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom