• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it's overclocked - however once it does get into windows CPUZ reports the OC as successful. I do get an overclocking failed message in POST though, it's weird.
Hm okay, that's really weird.

Hey guys, i know that this is a silly question a bit. I assembled my pc in september 2011. I'd like to upgrade it; is this a bad moment? Im not that expert about the releasing date of components and i don't know if some new releases are imminent. Thanks in andvance.

PS: Eventually i will post my rig and ask you advice :)

Well, depends on your budget. And your current rig.
Best would be to post how much you want to spend, what you need it for, and your current rig too, so we can see what can be re-used.
There's always something around the corner, so you could always "just wait another few months".

LordAlu

Your Current Specs: Macbook Pro :p
Budget: Under $1000 (canada)
Main Use: Gaming, Streaming games in HD, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
Monitor Resolution: 1080P (needs a monitor)
wants to aim for 60fps
How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you?: Not important
No parts to re-use
When will you build?: within the next couple of months
Will you be overclocking?: No

sorry it took awhile to respond!
Kennah could probably advise you better with his Canadian-ness, but something like this should be good?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($94.95 @ Vuugo)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.79 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.95 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.97 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($249.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($47.95 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($25.00 @ Reddit)
Monitor: Acer V246HLbd 60Hz 24.0" Monitor ($139.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1022.57
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-05 05:20 EDT-0400)

No, there's rarely a wrong time to upgrade. Just depends on what you currently have.

Well, depends on your budget. And your current rig.
Best would be to post how much you want to spend, what you need it for, and your current rig too, so we can see what can be re-used.
There's always something around the corner, so you could always "just wait another few months".

I currently have a GTX580, an ASUS Z68, i5-2500, 8gb DDR3-1600 and an Enermax Modu82+ 625W. I don't OC. My plan was to switch from 1155 to 1150, to update the videocard (my thoughts were to a GTX770) and to keep the PSU. I was waiting for the GTAV announce (sigh) after those rumors but it has not come yet: maybe i should wait the E3. I really don't have a budget but i'd like to buy pieces with a good compromise price/quality.

I currently have a GTX580, an ASUS Z68, i5-2500, 8gb DDR3-1600 and an Enermax Modu82+ 625W. I don't OC. My plan was to switch from 1155 to 1150, to update the videocard (my thoughts were to a GTX770) and to keep the PSU. I was waiting for the GTAV announce (sigh) after those rumors but it has not come yet: maybe i should wait the E3. I really don't have a budget but i'd like to buy pieces with a good compromise price/quality.

If I'd be you, I'd stick with the i5 till next year, and do a complete upgrade (mobo, ram, cpu).
But that's up to you.
The 770 will work with the PSU, so no problem there.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
sigh .so my motherboard Asrock p67 extreme4 (2011 model) died. on other pc I tried the PSU it's working, my HDDs are working, Corsair Ripjaws are working, my 780 is working and my i5 2500k is working, everything is working on the other PC and mobo. so it's the p67.

so I'll go out in few hours to buy a new one. now the this is I didn't followed the mobos market at all in ages and don't know what is good now and what future proof. I want something for $200, have nice space between the ram slots and CPU for my Noctua NH-D14 and some kind of a future proof (since I might jump to intel next cpus). is Asus Maximus 6 good and is there other better options for the price?

jett

D-Member
So here's a strange Q, my monitor randomly "shakes" when I use its DVI input (no such thing happens during VGA), sometimes it even blacks out. Same thing happens in two different computers with different video cards. Any idea what could cause this? Or is my monitor just borked? It's 2009 LG 1080p LED, if it matters.

sigh .so my motherboard Asrock p67 extreme4 (2011 model) died. on other pc I tried the PSU it's working, my HDDs are working, Corsair Ripjaws are working, my 780 is working and my i5 2500k is working, everything is working on the other PC and mobo. so it's the p67.

so I'll go out in few hours to buy a new one. now the this is I didn't followed the mobos market at all in ages and don't know what is good now and what future proof

I want something for $200, have nice space between the ram slots and CPU for my Noctua NH-D14 and some kind of a future proof (since I might jump to intel next cpus). is Asus Maximus 6 good and is there other better options for the price?

Afaik Skylelake will use 1151 chipset, so I doubt any current board will support them. Nor DDR4.
So the future-proofing isn't really an option.
Just curious, did you mean G.Skill Ripjaws, or Corsair Vengeance?
So here's a strange Q, my monitor randomly "shakes" when I use its DVI input (no such thing happens during VGA), sometimes it even blacks out. Same thing happens in two different computers with different video cards. Any idea what could cause this? Or is my monitor just borked? It's 2009 LG 1080p LED, if it matters.

Did you try another cable?

kharma45

so I'll go out in few hours to buy a new one. now the this is I didn't followed the mobos market at all in ages and don't know what is good now and what future proof

I want something for $200, have nice space between the ram slots and CPU for my Noctua NH-D14 and some kind of a future proof (since I might jump to intel next cpus). is Asus Maximus 6 good and is there other better options for the price?

You can't use it, wrong socket. It's 1150 and the 2500K is 1155. You can't really future proof with motherboards. Intel change socket every two generations of CPU now.

To re-use your 2500K you need a 1155 mobo and to get one with OCing options you need a P67, Z68, Z75 or Z77. Z77 will be the easiest to get hold of.

This ASUS is good at $120 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

I wouldn't bother ploughing in much more money than that.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Afaik Skylelake will use 1151 chipset, so I doubt any current board will support them. Nor DDR4.

yeah they are GSkill Ripjaws. I don't mind upgrading them tho.

You can't use it, wrong socket. It's 1150 and the 2500K is 1155. You can't really future proof with motherboards. Intel change socket every two generations of CPU now.

To re-use your 2500K you need a 1155 mobo and to get one with OCing options you need a P67, Z68, Z75 or Z77. Z77 will be the easiest to get hold of.

This ASUS is good at $120 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

I wouldn't bother ploughing in much more money than that.

thanks for info.

now looking at 1155 mobos the store I'm going to seems to have have ASRock Z77 and Asus P8Z77 (the one you posted).

kharma45

yeah they are GSkill Ripjaws. I don't mind upgrading them tho.

thanks for info.

now looking at 1155 mobos the store I'm going to seems to have have ASRock Z77 and Asus P8Z77 (the one you posted).

The Extreme4? Avoid it. It's not the best effort from them.

Addnan

When do review embargoes lift on the Pentium G3258 or has it already been? Can't find any real reviews just press releases. <£60 and unlocked sounds incredible.

Addnan

None yet. Still eagerly waiting the first to appear.

I look forward to it, sub £500 PCs could suddenly become well worth having as a main gaming platform and a probably a fair bit cheaper in USA. SCAN posted couple of pics on their facebook saying they got it to 4.5Ghz and performed as well as a 4670K at stock in BF4, not sure how much I can trust them though.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Has anyone built a PC in a case that lies flat like a console?

If so are there any recommended cases of that style?

Are there drawbacks to a case that lies flat?

Personally if I go with building a PC I'll be placing it in my entertainment center that houses my consoles, and hooking it to my TV.

Personally if I go with building a PC I'll be placing it in my entertainment center that houses my consoles, and hooking it to my TV.

Only drawback with a flat lying case I can think of is, it needs more space.

The Node 605 is a good example. Has lots of room for hardware and the airflow isn't bad either.
he Silverstone Raven RVZ01 // Milo 7 is a good case too. But you'll need a SFX PSU, which are kinda expensive. And there aren't many different ones.

Also, IN WIN showed a new case for Steammachines, which doesn't look bad either:
http://www.techpowerup.com/201590/in-win-designs-chassis-for-komplett-steam-machine.html

Rainy Dog

The innards of my iTX Node 304 case lie flat...in relation to how they're usually mounted anyway. ie. Bottom of the motherboad is usually mounted against the side of the case, mine is sat flat on the bottom of the case. I actually prefer this orientation as it puts less stress on the motherboard sockets and components. The Node 304 is only 210mm tall so could potentially fit underneath a TV cabinet/stand.

I did consider a SilverStone Raven RVZ01 which can be sat flat at only 105mm high so is a proper console-like case. But the main drawback with those type of cases is that you can't use a tower CPU cooler so CPU overclocking's mostly out of the window.

LilJoka

None yet. Still eagerly waiting the first to appear.

Scan.co.uk posted this on their fb page
The graph below shows an overclocked Pentium G3258 versus a Core i5 and i7 running Battlefield 4 with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770

10428529_10152431298372908_2434303013301200455_n.jpg

kennah

The innards of my iTX Node 304 case lie flat...in relation to how they're usually mounted anyway. ie. Bottom of the motherboad is usually mounted against the side of the case, mine is sat flat on the bottom of the case. I actually prefer this orientation as it puts less stress on the motherboard sockets and components. The Node 304 is only 210mm tall so could potentially fit underneath a TV cabinet/stand.

I did consider a SilverStone Raven RVZ01 which can be sat flat at only 105mm high so is a proper console-like case. But the main drawback with those type of cases is that you can't use a tower CPU cooler so CPU overclocking's mostly out of the window.
There are all in one water coolers that fit in the RVZ

LordAlu

Looks like it's gonna be about £55 inc VAT at retail based on the supplier feeds I can see. Although strangely one supplier is listing it £8 cheaper than the others, which is giving an interesting price for it:

Pentium_zps497a51a6.png

If only it were true :D

jett

D-Member
So I'm hearing a slight intereference-like noise from the rear 120mm fan on my HAF 922 case, I've confirmed that's the source by disconnecting it but I don't know what's causing it. Or myabe it's totally normal, I don't know. The other fans on the case which are 200mm just sound like regular-ass fans. Any ideas?

Did you try another cable?

Unfortunately I don't have a spare DVI cable right now, I'd have to try that.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

These look great, and would fit in my entertainment center nicely. I'll have to search around to see if there's any building tutorials to watch using these cases.

kris.

Banned
hey guys, so i moved over the weekend and i'm pretty sure my wifi card got jacked up during the move. the new place has wall jacks in all of the rooms, including mine. i'm not horribly savvy with networking, but if i just run an ethernet cable from the port in my pc to the wall jack, i'll get internet, right? or do i need to do something special with my ISP?

scogoth

Best way to figure out what the heck is taking up so much space on my 180GB SSD running Windows 8.1 -_-

I swear it was 20gb free, goes to 9gb free. ???
I've run malwarebytes, nothing shows up.
My 50 GB OneDrive folder is on a separate HDD, unless maybe the Metro app is storing a duplicate 50 GB somewhere on my SSD and doesn't sync with the desktop app locally?
At a bit of a loss here.

Treesize free http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

J0dy77

hey guys, so i moved over the weekend and i'm pretty sure my wifi card got jacked up during the move. the new place has wall jacks in all of the rooms, including mine. i'm not horribly savvy with networking, but if i just run an ethernet cable from the port in my pc to the wall jack, i'll get internet, right? or do i need to do something special with my ISP?

Yes, just plug it in. As long as your using DHCP on the router and desktop (set by default) you should be fine.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'd appreciate some advice with a niggling issue I've had with my PC since I built it a few years ago.

It's a P8P67 Pro with a 2500K CPU. From cold boot, it will have to POST three times and restart before it finally POSTs and then loads windows. It's not a massive thing, but it kind of defeats the object of having a fast SSD to load windows, as my boot time is like 90 seconds with these shenanigans.

Anyone else had something similar they've been able to solve?
Disable some of the boot stuff is BIOS. I can't remember off the top of my head. My P8P67 double booted, but I never got oc failed.

Anyone notice this Phanteks case? Getting rave reviews at sub $100 price point and should probably be added to the OP.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854003&cm_re=phantek-_-11-854-003-_-Product
You mean the one in the build sheets and having the mATX and ITX version videos being posted in the past few pages? Yeah :p

Just waiting on full release to make sure people can actually buy them, seems like Enthoo Pro is in stock now.

No point in updating mid Computex.

Also always PM build sheet updates to me. No gauntee I'll see it in thread.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
There are all in one water coolers that fit in the RVZ

Could you please provide this clueless person with a link to see what these all in one coolers are?

Edit: Nevermind

But it's a royal pita. Go over to OCN where I started the club and we have tried many AIO's in the RVZ01 and it's cramped in there to the point where some of the tubing kinks

So overclocking is just not a good idea with that sort of case? Just run a stock CPU?

Lum1n3s

Hello PC GAF, I'm going to need your help today! I'm having a hard time choosing between two graphics cards that I'm thinking of buying. I'm pretty much trying to go high end here between either the EVGA GTX 780 Ti Superclocked edition
or the Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290X. The 780 is currently on sale for $679.99 and has a $20 mail-in-rebate while the 290x is just normal price for $619.99. I don't know if this helps any but I have a 4770K with a MSI Z87-GD65. My current PSU is a Seasonic X 650X gold and am willing to upgrade it if necessary. Thanks in advance!!! :)

It looks like they copied all the things I like most about my h440 and made some improvements. Is it aluminum? If so, I will buy.

That is the first thing that is mentioned in the video.

Also, another shot:

So, since I still have a 64 GB Crucial M4 and with the new Crucial MX100 coming out, I am going to finally upgrade my SSD to a bigger size. There comes software with it to be able to migrate the current contents to the new one right?

But should I actually use that? I know that re installing Windows is probably preferred but I have a lot of stuff on my second drive and would need to borrow an external HDD as I don't have one. Besides that it would be a decent amount of effort. I use Windows 8.1 in case it is going to make a difference. Can re installing make a big difference?

fanboi

Banned
How is

EVGA GEFORCE GTX 780 TI CLASSIFIED DUAL BIOS ACX 3GB PCI-E

compared to

GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 780 GHZ EDITION 3GB PCI-E

EDIT: The price difference is 250 Euro for me.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hello PC GAF, I'm going to need your help today! I'm having a hard time choosing between two graphics cards that I'm thinking of buying. I'm pretty much trying to go high end here between either the EVGA GTX 780 Ti Superclocked edition
or the Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290X. The 780 is currently on sale for $679.99 and has a $20 mail-in-rebate while the 290x is just normal price for $619.99. I don't know if this helps any but I have a 4770K with a MSI Z87-GD65. My current PSU is a Seasonic X 650X gold and am willing to upgrade it if necessary. Thanks in advance!!! :)
Get an used ASUS, GB, or MSI R9 290 with a good cooler for ~$320. You're pissing away money if you buy anything else. It will come with it's original 3 year warranty.
That is the first thing that is mentioned in the video.

Also, another shot:
Clone it. It's fine.
How is

compared to

GB. If you don't know why you want/need a Classified you don't need it.

turcy

google "gtx 780 vs gtx 780 ti" benchmarks.

the ti is better, but only really necessary if you're gaming above 1080p [imho].

mkenyon

Banned
How is

compared to

As Haz pointed out, no need for the Classy if you don't know what it is. Mostly, it's designed for LN2 and water cooling for super high overclocks. The 780 GHz edition is a total beast.

fanboi

Banned
This must be one of the best sub-communities on GAF (well you have Sc2 (bw lol) frontman Hazaro so it isnt strange!).

Thanks.

Zukuu

Banned
I need help with PC hardware, but this is not the correct thread for it. Since I didn't find an appropriate one, excuse me for abusing this thread.

I have a P67A-GD65 motherboard and try to get the front audio panel working. Since recently my sound card went kaput, which was able to deliver a back (5.1 system) AND a front signal (headset). Using the on-board 7.1 card yields a backsignal, but it won't recognize the front panel, which I have connected to the JAUD1 slot. Did I mess up or is it just impossible?

Can anyone help me or direct me to the proper thread for such a question?

mkenyon

Banned
Out of curiosity is there a list anywhere of H110/H105/H100i compatible cases? I know those radiators are quite big.
Most of the cases in the OP under "Enhanced" and "Enthusiast" can handle those, but generally, if you have your eye on a specific case, ask here.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Can anyone help me or direct me to the proper thread for such a question?
Hmm... check your motherboard manual? Usually there is HD_AUDIO and some numbers, but on yours it looks like J____. Mobo may have defaulted to using another audio source on mobo.
Out of curiosity is there a list anywhere of H110/H105/H100i compatible cases? I know those radiators are quite big.
Only the H110 is 280mm vs 240mm. Most recent cases will fit a 240mm rad. 280mm much harder.

Just google case + H*___* for compatability or check lists like:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1144409/...compatibility-thread-page-1-for-full-listings

mkenyon

Banned
Updated the "Enhanced" case section.

[ENHANCED]
Vnp7oxv.png
AjppqnK.png
$100 - Phanteks Enthoo Pro .
AjppqnK.png
AjppqnK.png
AjppqnK.png
$100 - Phanteks Enthoo Pro​

Lum1n3s

Get an used ASUS, GB, or MSI R9 290 with a good cooler for ~$320. You're pissing away money if you buy anything else. It will come with it's original 3 year warranty.

Clone it. It's fine.

GB. If you don't know why you want/need a Classified you don't need it.
Would there be any notable difference going from a 290x to a 290? And Newegg sells used video game cards? There isn't anything wrong with them though is there? =O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom