• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Is the soon to be release Pentium G3258 capable of running Dolphin and PCSX2?

It's $60 at Microcenter.

At 3.2 GHz dual core, I would guess it would run.
Might not run super well with max settings, but it should run the program.

If emulation is your thing and you are stuck with an 1150 motherboard. You may want to save up for a Haswell i5.

Tablo

If emulation is your thing and you are stuck with an 1150 motherboard. You may want to save up for a Haswell i5.

lol dude it's an unlocked Haswell dual core, if he OCs it to 4.2+ghz it will run dolphin pretty well iirc
go for it dude, that' cheap af.

kharma45

It's also overclockable. Dolphin can only use 2 cores any way, i5 would be pointless for it.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
I'm currently running a 560ti (1 GB GDDR5) paired with a stock 2500k, no overclock because my case is tight and I can't run anything but stock cooling. That might change in the future, but that's something else.

I play primarily at 1080p (occasional downsampling on games that I can do it with, like the first Dark Souls), as I mostly have it hooked up to my Panny plasma TV.

Is it a good time to upgrade? Should I hold off for a bit? For a while? If now, any suggestions? I have a slight preference for nVidia at this point, even though I know they tend to be more expensive, but I'd go for AMD if it was really worthwhile.

You guys have been a big help every time I've had to build or upgrade, so any advice would be welcome. Thanks!

Edit: I'm starting to recall that there was some sort of website that had a chart for upgrade cycle recommendations. If I'm not imagining that, I'd also welcome a link if someone has it handy.

Just a bump from page 382, would be nice if someone could answer
I'm just curious, is there anything in the 150€ / 150$ price range
(€ prices are almost 1:1, maybe even 1,5:1 with tax here..)
that would be as good or better than a LG Flatron W2361V ?
21,5" - 23", 1080p, 60hz.

Thinking about going for a smaller size screen, as the 23" hurts my eyes.

I'm currently running a 560ti (1 GB GDDR5) paired with a stock 2500k, no overclock because my case is tight and I can't run anything but stock cooling. That might change in the future, but that's something else.

I play primarily at 1080p (occasional downsampling on games that I can do it with, like the first Dark Souls), as I mostly have it hooked up to my Panny plasma TV.

Is it a good time to upgrade? Should I hold off for a bit? For a while? If now, any suggestions? I have a slight preference for nVidia at this point, even though I know they tend to be more expensive, but I'd go for AMD if it was really worthwhile.

You guys have been a big help every time I've had to build or upgrade, so any advice would be welcome. Thanks!

Wait for DC to drop if you want a new CPU, although the 2500k is still enough, shoulda OC it.
And go for a 760-770, if the 560ti isn't enough for your needs anymore.

kennah

If you are happy so far then just wait. There are lots of great new cases coming maybe. Save up a bit and treat yourself to a new case, cpu cooler, and gpu when the 800 series releases.

MRSA

Banned
So with that anniversary Pentium I would still need a Z series mobo, so I guess I could upgrade to an i5 when the time comes.

I want to put together a bottom of the bin emulation box for under $500 and that includes Windows. Thinking it's a little far fetched to think I can put one together on that budget.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Just a bump from page 382, would be nice if someone could answer

Thinking about going for a smaller size screen, as the 23" hurts my eyes.

Wait for DC to drop if you want a new CPU, although the 2500k is still enough, shoulda OC it.
And go for a 760-770, if the 560ti isn't enough for your needs anymore.

If you are happy so far then just wait. There are lots of great new cases coming maybe. Save up a bit and treat yourself to a new case, cpu cooler, and gpu when the 800 series releases.

Sounds like good advice to just do all the upgrades at once down the line. Will do. Thanks!

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
lol dude it's an unlocked Haswell dual core, if he OCs it to 4.2+ghz it will run dolphin pretty well iirc
go for it dude, that' cheap af.

It's also overclockable. Dolphin can only use 2 cores any way, i5 would be pointless for it.

PCSX2 can utilize 3 cores with the MTVU speedhack. Games that require software mode can use 4 cores.

It really depends on the level of emulation he is looking for.

MRSA

Banned
PCSX2 can utilize 3 cores with the MTVU speedhack. Games that require software mode can use 4 cores.

It really depends on the level of emulation he is looking for.

I have low standards, really shooting for 720p for the most part, if it can do 1080p at full speed then that's an added bonus.

Tablo

I have low standards, really shooting for 720p for the most part, if it can do 1080p at full speed then that's an added bonus.

Let me put it this way, for 60$ that thing is some pretty gooood emulation value in theory.
Get a Z97 board, then upgrade to Broadwell-K i7 down the line, that's what I would do.

mkenyon

Banned
But then I'll start redditing.

I have kids man.
Trust me, you won't. If you get mad at the kids in here, you would literally blow up reading /gamingpc and /buildapc for a day.

I went there to get my advice fix in my three month ban. It was awful.

TheD

The Detective
Does anyone know of a way to log what causes a computer to go in and come out of sleep mode?

My stupid PC is always waking up in the early morning and sometimes even going back into sleep mode after a while!

Celcius

°Temp. member
Also...I have arrived at my GPU end game.
Tri-SLI Titan Blacks on the way. That pretty much wraps it up on the GPU/monitor front. Now I need CPU/mobo replacement.

Every time I turn around your refresh gets crazier and crazier lol. I can't wait to see the beast complete. :)

TheD

The Detective
Haswell-E will at least utilize the same cooling enhancements that Devil Canyon brings, right?

Pretty sure all of the LGA2011 chips have the soldiered heatspreaders, Even Ivy Bridge chips (which went to the horrible TMI on LGA1155), so I think Haswell-E will be the same.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Is Devil's Canyon just Haswell but with higher stock clocks, improved TIM, and additional capacitors on the cpu for improved power delivery?
Meaning the same IPC & performance clock-for-clock as Haswell, just better overclocking?

mkenyon

Banned
Haswell-E will at least utilize the same cooling enhancements that Devil Canyon brings, right?
Pretty sure all of the LGA2011 chips have the soldiered heatspreaders, Even Ivy Bridge chips (which went to the horrible TMI on LGA1155), so I think Haswell-E will be the same.
Yep, so technically still better than Devil's Canyon. They couldn't switch to solder as that would involve stopping the fab chain.
Is Devil's Canyon just Haswell but with higher stock clocks, improved TIM, and additional capacitors on the cpu for improved power delivery?
Meaning the same IPC & performance clock-for-clock as Haswell, just better overclocking?
Yes.

Does anyone know of a way to log what causes a computer to go in and come out of sleep mode?

My stupid PC is always waking up in the early morning and sometimes even going back into sleep mode after a while!
That's usually some sort of maintenance thing you've got set to happen at whatever hour.

Yep, so technically still better than Devil's Canyon. They couldn't switch to solder as that would involve stopping the fab chain.

Alright sounds good. I'm just waiting to find out the clock speeds that will be achievable with the 6 and 8 core variants.

Sarcasm

You dont have to sign up. You just create a new username. Not attached to email or anything.

I have to say thank you for directing me to softwareswap though.

But I find it odd that W8.1 Enterprise is cheaper than W8.1 Pro, does the popularity really affect the price?

Not sure if this is the right place to ask.
Below is my configuration, which is kinda bad, I know, but for the moment I'm thinking about replacing just my GPU with a Radeon R9 270. Do you think I will also need to change my PSU or I can keep this one?

ASRock 960GM-GS3 FX
AMD Athlon II X4 640
Radeon HD6570
Corsair XMS3 4GB
WD Caviar Blue 500GB
Antec VP450

Kuro

If you have a samsung SSD, the software that comes with it will wake your PC

I just died.

So should we still wait until the retail samples his reviews to be sure?

This Phenom x4 940 @ 3.0GHz rig ive upgraded on the same mobo since late 2006 needs to go.

jett

D-Member
Well, I'm the super proud(and poorer) owner of the follwing gaming PC:

ASUS Z97-A
Intel Core i5 4670K with Coolermaster 412
Gigabyte Windforce R9 280X
Kingston 2X4GB DDR3 1600
XFX Pro 650W
Coolermaster HAF 912 (this thing looks really imposing in my actual room, thing's huge, my old PC looks kinda sad)

This is massive upgrade for me. Since 2007 I've been rocking a trusty C2D, which in all fairness has served me well but it was past time to put it out to pasture. I've never had a semi-high-end system of this sort in my life, hopefully it will last me a long time without any upgrades! I'm pretty sure I overpaid/bought something well beyond my needs, but I don't give a crap at the mo! :p Thanks to everyone that has been helping me out the last couple of days. Finally I rejoin the decent gaming PC ranks.

Only downside is that my old W7 installation didn't want to boot, so I had to format the thing. That kinda sucked. Wish I had known beforehand so I could prepare myself.

So, what do I now download to test this thing?

I have been doing my homework and please correct me if I a wrong.

Latest Intels are Haswell. They have just released the mainstream Haswell refresh called well... Haswell Refresh (i3 4150 i3 4460, i5 4590 i5 4690.....). Devil´s Canyon is the same refresh but for K chips. Next chips are Broadwell and are compatible with H97 and Z97 boards. Did I do my homework ok?

I am going to build a new PC and I might just take advantage of the Haswell Refresh.

Not looking to overclock, or have multiple GPUs.

This is my build ATM. Suggestions, comments are more than welcome!!

Was thinking of going i3 route as they are solid, but decided to spend a bit more and go safer with an i5.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/megabytecr/saved/NdF48d

I have read a lot of motherboard problems and I am a bit worried about the motherboard listed as it is new, no customer reviews yet. Read from other intel motherboards about Memory imcompatibilities, should I worry and better check each board in detail?

Thanks!!!

Died laughing, died from excitement, what?

both. they's hyped the masses.

but GAF knows better... Kyle Bennet from HardOCP mentioned this a day back "I think Intel is taking its time in finding "perfect" silicon for the 4790K parts. To herald this as enthusiast CPU and then it be somewhat disappointing would be a marketing nightmare for the company. It does not want that."

IF they claim 5.5GHz on AIR, then they better be hand-picking silicon for the 4790Ks, otherwise Intel will shoot themselves in the foot once customers report on retail samples that don't perform as such.

tldr; I'll wait out for a half a dozen retail sample reviews to reach that Computex "record" before I buy.

Right.

Would 5Ghz on Air be a reasonable expectation? Or would that require an aftermarket cooling solution?

Not that I'm going to get one anyway, lool. Skylake for me, barrin some catestrophic CPU requirements for 2015 games.

LilJoka

I have been doing my homework and please correct me if I a wrong.

Latest Intels are Haswell. They have just released the mainstream Haswell refresh called well... Haswell Refresh (i3 4150 i3 4460, i5 4590 i5 4690.....). Devil´s Canyon is the same refresh but for K chips. Next chips are Broadwell and are compatible with H97 and Z97 boards. Did I do my homework ok?

I am going to build a new PC and I might just take advantage of the Haswell Refresh.

Not looking to overclock, or have multiple GPUs.

This is my build ATM.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/megabytecr/saved/NdF48d

I have read a lot of motherboard problems and I am a bit worried about the motherboard listed as it is new, no customer reviews yet. Read from other intel motherboards about Memory imcompatibilities, should I worry and better check each board in detail?

Thanks!!!

Looks ok, ideally a dual channel memory kit would be better, 2x4GB, unless you really do intend on having 32GB Ram in total.

And if you dont want to overclock, or run dual GPUs, why not buy mini ITX?

LilJoka

Right.

Would 5Ghz on Air be a reasonable expectation? Or would that require an aftermarket cooling solution?

Not that I'm going to get one anyway, lool. Skylake for me, barrin some catestrophic CPU requirements for 2015 games.

No, because they needed a cherry picked chip on water (air category) to get 5.5Ghz.

Looks ok, ideally a dual channel memory kit would be better, 2x4GB, unless you really do intend on having 32GB Ram in total.

And if you dont want to overclock, or run dual GPUs, why not buy mini ITX?

Ok will check that out, thanks!!

Yes I did a build for miniITX but it is more expensive and I am afraid I might need a cooler. Some even have integrated wifi but my router is b/g/n and most are 802.11ac, they will not work together right? 802.11ac is new to me.

Will tinker more with the miniITX configs.

bbd23

Get him to fill out the bullet point questionnaire in the OP and we can better figure one out for you based on his requirements :)

Your Current Specs: Macbook Pro :p
Budget: Under $1000 (canada)
Main Use: Gaming, Streaming games in HD, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
Monitor Resolution: 1080P (needs a monitor)
wants to aim for 60fps
How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you?: Not important
No parts to re-use
When will you build?: within the next couple of months
Will you be overclocking?: No

sorry it took awhile to respond!

LilJoka

Ok will check that out, thanks!!

Yes I did a build for miniITX but it is more expensive and I am afraid I might need a cooler. Some even have integrated wifi but my router is b/g/n and most are 802.11ac, they will not work together right? 802.11ac is new to me.

Will tinker more with the miniITX configs.

What you mean "i might need a cooler"? If you do get the Hyper 212, it fits in mITX cases easily.
All the wireless modules are Wireless N afaik, but you can set your Router so G, N, AC can all connect to the same access point.
Possible build
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yTpjJx

Much better PSU, and i rather the 280X for the 3Gb VRAM which is definitely going to be a factor in the near future. Hyper 212 Cooler optional.

jtMHeUv.jpg

Confirms DC OC on Z87. And i think this was on Water or LN2.

I have not set anything myself to do it, but it does seem to wake around 2:15 AM most times.
Check your anti-virus software too. IIRC, AVG had its default settings to scan my PC set at like 2-3AM, so I changed it to 10AM, when I'm not in the room.

Right.

All four cores were at 5.498 ghz on air and it looks like 6.3 ghz was the highest obtainable on all four cores with liquid nitrogen. Source: http://lucca.hardforum.com/rewrite/...ng/&id=1&match=1&source=none&destination=none

MSI did reach 5.498 on all 4C/8T... ASUS reached 5.5 with only one core... what we can be sure of is that there is NO DOUBT that the chips Intel provided for this competition were cherry-picked. This is nothing but a show of what the absolute "best case scenario" would be if you got bought a retail chip and scored a "golden chip", ei a chip that has 100% overclock potential to reach these frequencies or more.

What we have yet to see are retail samples show off the same levels of performance en masse. I'd say wait for a handful of top review sites to benchmark the retail samples.

Aside from all this, if anyone were to buy a Devil's Canyon CPU, it would be in their best interests to go with aftermarket HSF solutions. Personally, If the review of retail samples turned out okay, I'd be thinking of throwing a Corsair H55 on it and calling it a day at 5.5 GHz.

LilJoka

All four cores were at 5.498 ghz on air and it looks like 6.3 ghz was the highest obtainable on all four cores with liquid nitrogen. Source: http://lucca.hardforum.com/rewrite/...ng/&id=1&match=1&source=none&destination=none

MSI did reach 5.498 on all 4C/8T... ASUS reached 5.5 with only one core... what we can be sure of is that there is NO DOUBT that the chips Intel provided for this competition were cherry-picked. This is nothing but a show of what the absolute "best case scenario" would be if you got bought a retail chip and scored a "golden chip", ei a chip that has 100% overclock potential to reach these frequencies or more.

What we have yet to see are retail samples show off the same levels of performance en masse. I'd say wait for a handful of top review sites to benchmark the retail samples.

Aside from all this, if anyone were to buy a Devil's Canyon CPU, it would be in their best interests to go with aftermarket HSF solutions. Personally, If the review of retail samples turned out okay, I'd be thinking of throwing a Corsair H55 on it and calling it a day at 5.5 GHz.

It was water (air category).

News Update : There are now growing evidence that in the result of 5.5 GHz not only air cooling was used. While speaking both Intel and other media only air cooling, but partly also compact water cooler were used, the radiator was on top of that provided with cold liquid nitrogen vapor. [Pic] We try details about the test conditions to ascertain. Clear should be that here were busy professionals under competition conditions.

What you mean "i might need a cooler"? If you do get the Hyper 212, it fits in mITX cases easily.
All the wireless modules are Wireless N afaik, but you can set your Router so G, N, AC can all connect to the same access point.
Possible build
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yTpjJx

Much better PSU, and i rather the 280X for the 3Gb VRAM which is definitely going to be a factor in the near future. Hyper 212 Cooler optional.

Confirms DC OC on Z87. And i think this was on Water or LN2.

Do miniITX builds require an after market cooler, if not I will go stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom